Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Scalding Coffee posted:

The mission packs sure are not lying about the difficulty spikes. Even on Hard, I get worn down from the constant spawns.

Note that some of the missions spawn pylons / mini teleporters without telling you. One of the base missions in particular has a nice defendable doorway that we camped at for ages before we realize there was a huge fuckoff network of spawners beyond it.

I've been playing single player for a change of pace (and to see the few extra bits of cutscenes they don't show in multiplayer) and boy having no weapon level limit is kinda intoxicating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Played with some people who hex-edited their armor and managed to fail at getting it to work. It was funny running with people who had six digits and still got wrecked quickly. If anyone runs into some people with 30000+ armor, they may have much less and not really good at teamwork.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
It's somehow very EDF to have huge armor numbers on paper and still fail against the aliens :D

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am invincible!

*gets owned*

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't be afraid, our combat suits are acid resistant

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

https://i.imgur.com/SOqihSl.mp4

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Plaease tell me that is a real game. Also its name.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Looks like pale wing graphics from global defense force, not sure about the 2d game it's attached to

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It's Global Defence Force Tactics on the PS2. Japan and PAL only.

It's a Nectaris/Battle Isle clone.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

SelenicMartian posted:

It's Global Defence Force Tactics on the PS2. Japan and PAL only.

It's a Nectaris/Battle Isle clone.

I saw the similarity to Battle Isles and was hoping for a PC-Version. Too bad😔

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

The hell kinda Wing Diver only kills a single ant when shooting :argh:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the kind that are usually on my team

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
What are you supposed to do on mission 100 when all the Archelus show up

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The monster mash mission? Kill all the small enemies for all phases, then attack the cosmonauts and shield bearers, then protect your Barga's from the flyers when that phase starts. I think you can delay the tadpoles/wasps by only killing ants and spiders. Always stop to protect the barga from small enemies. Let your big guys fight their big guys.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You want to focus on the small guys especially spiders but it can be a bit rng because the breath attacks from erginus do a ridiculous damage to barga, do it the AI decides to spam it you can lose all the robots pretty quick.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

The monster mash mission? Kill all the small enemies for all phases, then attack the cosmonauts and shield bearers, then protect your Barga's from the flyers when that phase starts. I think you can delay the tadpoles/wasps by only killing ants and spiders. Always stop to protect the barga from small enemies. Let your big guys fight their big guys.

I'm not sure what the scripts are doing in this mission - I see on videos of the mission they're supposed to drop you in a Barga of your own eventually, and I can't seem to survive long enough to get there.

I'm on Ranger on Hard - using the Emerald ME4 with the lock on boost to get to about a 500m range lock radius, but can't figure out what to use in the secondary - the map is too big and the Bargas keep blocking shots for an assault rifle or shotgun.

I actually had the best results with Firecracker 4s since Bargas are morons about actually punching Erginus; that went south when Tadpoles show up and I get grabbed.

I think Archelus is the weakest addition to EDF 5 since it hijacked the whole campaign just to punch it and it's too fast to deal with on foot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shotguns with [PT] should pierce right through friendlies and enemies alike. Missiles combined with a Multi-Lock assist item can do good damage against mysterious monsters but they're way too slow otherwise.

If you're ever not sure what to bring as a Ranger, shotty+grenades are a 90% safe bet.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 17, 2020

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

40 Proof Listerine posted:

I'm not sure what the scripts are doing in this mission - I see on videos of the mission they're supposed to drop you in a Barga of your own eventually, and I can't seem to survive long enough to get there.

I'm on Ranger on Hard - using the Emerald ME4 with the lock on boost to get to about a 500m range lock radius, but can't figure out what to use in the secondary - the map is too big and the Bargas keep blocking shots for an assault rifle or shotgun.

I actually had the best results with Firecracker 4s since Bargas are morons about actually punching Erginus; that went south when Tadpoles show up and I get grabbed.

I think Archelus is the weakest addition to EDF 5 since it hijacked the whole campaign just to punch it and it's too fast to deal with on foot.
I like using a Dunkel sniper rifle for its range and ROF. Try it on Easy until you got the mission down and work up. Are you clearing online?

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

I like using a Dunkel sniper rifle for its range and ROF. Try it on Easy until you got the mission down and work up. Are you clearing online?

Nah, doing single player for posterity.

Actually got a good groove going with the Pylon sniper rifle (the punchthrough one) since the level 47 Dunkel Rifle, while nice, hasn't leveled up enough to get past a 8.0s reload time.

Now the problem is getting stun locked by 5 archelus when in the Barga; I think that one's just going to be RNG until I can not get knocked over.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Nah, doing single player for posterity.

Actually got a good groove going with the Pylon sniper rifle (the punchthrough one) since the level 47 Dunkel Rifle, while nice, hasn't leveled up enough to get past a 8.0s reload time.

Now the problem is getting stun locked by 5 archelus when in the Barga; I think that one's just going to be RNG until I can not get knocked over.

Just FYI if you hit the pose key and then left click you do a spinning punch that knocks them back in a fairly wide angle.

My personal favorite combo is left-left-right which ends with Barga stepping forward with a forward arm smash. Great for reach.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

I now have a dream of taking out the teleporting ships with the long range Ranger hand grenade.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They might have to be hovering low with their hatches open, but it's totally possible.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There is the Flame Thrower, which can pierce the hull of teleportation ships.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 24, 2020

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Get a helicopter friend to fly you up high to make the toss

Follow your dreams

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Reallycoolname posted:

Get a helicopter friend to fly you up high to make the toss

Follow your dreams
I was testing on mission 104 solo and it went real great right until a flying drone crashes right on top of you when making the toss

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Something to note when piloting Nixes: for the flamethrower / general-purpose types, you can get around much faster by bunnyhopping (when you land, you can cancel the impact animation with another jump). When you land your momentum is reset so you can jump forwards and backwards at full speed whenever you want, and with a little practice you can turn yourself mid-air pretty goddamn fast too.

You're still screwed for the heavy-weapons Nixes though.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

That's amazing; I had no idea that Nixes could fly.

How much range do you need to hit the actual mothership on 108? 300m isn't nearly enough.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If that's No. 11, you want at least 650m weapon range. Or just bring a rocket launcher so you can hit it from anywhere.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

How is Ranger supposed to deal with gold ants

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
A shotgun and some well timed rolling. Something like flame geyser helps too if you can funnel them.

Otherwise get some friendly EDF members to help or tank acid for you.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I havent played high level ranger since EDF 3 but iirc 99% of my gameplay was side rolling away from swarms of ants and very, very ocasionally turning to shotgun or fire rockets at the floor under them. It may have become more complicated since then.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

The pro strat is to get the timed grenades and dump them at your feet as you run

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Iirc the other high level ranger thing was to always be switching weapons between shots so you can alternate cooldowns or chip away at reload times. If you have two sniper rifles that have long cooldowns you effectively have one sniper rifle with half the cooldown time and twice the ammo (and twice the reload time lol)

Also if things get really deserate boot up splitscreen and give yourself a distraction. I think EDF2 had a great setup where you could ruberband a player 2 Wing Diver into firing a plasma ball at the floor over and over, which killed them slowly but gave them a bunch of invincibility frames between shots.

Also learn where and when friendly soldiers spawn and use them as distractions as much as possible.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

How is Ranger supposed to deal with gold ants
Know where they spawn ahead of time and explode the area from far away.

If you are playing tomorrow, I should be available to face tank golds later in the day. I'll keep weapons on.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Iron Rain is 60% off right now on Steam. Gonna give it a try at that price

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

A whole bunch of EDF games are on sale on steam.

Sooooo as someone who hasn't played any of these where do I start?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Gameko posted:

A whole bunch of EDF games are on sale on steam.

Sooooo as someone who hasn't played any of these where do I start?

Start with 5, it has a lot of QoL stuff over 4.1.

Iron Rain is a spinoff game made by a different studio, while Wing Diver the Shooter is a bullet hell thing.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
Any of the Sandlot developed ones, that would be 4.1 and 5. Get the cheapest, 5 is overall the best but starts the slowest with a boring as gently caress tutorial level.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Storm One posted:

5 is overall the best but starts the slowest with a boring as gently caress tutorial level.

Not in multiplayer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
How in the world does Iron Rain refuse to run in what should be fairly standard 2560x1440p resolution when I'm pretty sure even EDF4.1 for all its weirdness does so without a problem? It's Unreal Engine, even.