Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Day 6

I don't give a poo poo about honor, I love a henka. It clearly takes a lot of skill and the one from Ishiura got a full on roll out of Tochinoshin. Sucks for Salt Bae that his didn't work and he looks dumb for trying though.

Asanoyama/Mitakeumi was maybe the best match of the basho for me. I don't know how Mitakeumi managed to stay in and reverse the position. Very glad I made that trade.

Tokushoryu getting the kinboshi was awesome. He won in January but you could always say he didn't have to beat a yokozuna to do it and this win felt like him asserting that he can hang even if the record doesn't show it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ishiura

I agree that it was a great well-executed henka and the full roll was fantastic just wish it wasn't against tochinoshin. I'm losing points here!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

bartolimu posted:

SHAME ON YOU ISHIURA

YOU DIDN'T EVEN NEED THAT WIN

...god that was sad to watch. :(

Poor Tamawashi is having a bad start to this basho. I hope he can pull out of this funk. He seems to be following a similar trajectory to Mitakeumi after his failed Ozeki bid.

Mitakeumi/Asanoyama was a great fight, really strong defense by Mitakeumi to pull out a win I wasn't sure he could manage. Both rikshi are at the top of their game, and I'm glad we got a long, technical fight out of it.

Great to see Tokushoryu get on the board with a kinboshi to boot! How often does that happen on a rikshi's second appearance in the top division? Not often, I'd bet. He should pull more wins in week 2 now that he's done getting beaten up by the sanyaku.

I lost it when the blue cushions started flying.

Agreed. Shame on Ishiura, and shame on his cows. Henka-ing against a 1:4 opponent when you're 4:1 from M12. That was uncalled-for.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Liquid Communism posted:

Agreed. Shame on Ishiura, and shame on his cows. Henka-ing against a 1:4 opponent when you're 4:1 from M12. That was uncalled-for.

Hey, Ishiura is like, 5'7" and Tochi is, like, HUGE. Should've seen the henka coming. :smug:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
That wasn't a henka, that was a well executed Harumafuji Special.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
aw, tochinoshin :unsmith:

chiyomaru doing really well still which is amazing to see. azumaryu and shimanoumi in the opening bout was an absolute cracker as well. top shelf sumo. kotonowaka is also a really special kid. he comes back from the brink so well it's almost like he wants to be in a position where he nearly loses to make things interesting or something. really special. salt bae ending aoiyama's reign of terror in fantastic style as well. shaping up to be a great day.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also, because i'm a spiteful bastard and i picked tochiozan in the fantasy league, i was absolutely stoked that he had his win stripped from him by an old man conference because he deserves to have his hopes dashed for being so useless. he's en-route to an 0-15 embarrassment which is completely fitting for an athlete of his unique talents

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

aw, tochinoshin :unsmith:

That was a pretty good match. Takarafuji is one of a few rikishi with the strength to Tochinoshin Tochinoshin. I do wish he'd step up more often.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Tokushoryu :
He looks like he's really struggling at this level. Nerves or just not ready?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

ilmucche posted:

Tokushoryu :
He looks like he's really struggling at this level. Nerves or just not ready?

Sometimes Buster Douglas wins.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Sometimes Buster Douglas wins.

nah i'm not with that. it's true that m2 is a bit high, but he is easily m8-10 material. despite the losses he's actually been wrestling well imo. he gave hakuho a legit run for his money and beat kakuryu outright. when he's on, he's up there with the best. when he's not on, i'd say he's middle of the pack in the top division material

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Marching Powder posted:

nah i'm not with that. it's true that m2 is a bit high, but he is easily m8-10 material. despite the losses he's actually been wrestling well imo. he gave hakuho a legit run for his money and beat kakuryu outright. when he's on, he's up there with the best. when he's not on, i'd say he's middle of the pack in the top division material

I don't think it helps that he got off to a bad start and is probably getting desperate now. Today's match with Takakeisho seemed really out of character for him because he just kept pressing forward even when it seemed pretty clear that Takakeisho wanted to step out to one side or the other.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

whats for dinner posted:

I don't think it helps that he got off to a bad start and is probably getting desperate now. Today's match with Takakeisho seemed really out of character for him because he just kept pressing forward even when it seemed pretty clear that Takakeisho wanted to step out to one side or the other.

Yeah today was the only match he looked truly out of his depth in. But everyone has those days. He's looked like he belongs in the same ring as every other wrestler he's fought. And it's not like he can't beat takakeisho.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
really impressive endurance from Chiyomaru, he really hung in there and gave it 100% the whole bout

Hakuho really does seem like he's lost half a step but he's still clearly the best. Five guys at 6-1, though, better stay clean. Didn't expect a kinboshi for Enho today or anything but still kind of a shame to see him get bulldozed. 2-5 is a rough place to be. All his losses are to guys higher-ranked than him, so hopefully he gets to mop up some M6-10s down the stretch and maybe steal a kachi-koshi.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Hakuho was so drat good that even old busted Hakuho is still better than everybody.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Anime Reference posted:

Hakuho was so drat good that even old busted Hakuho is still better than everybody.

Added bonus is I'm able to keep up a bit more with his footwork and positioning during bouts and can appreciate them a lot more. Watching some of the clips where he's at his peak it feels like the tachi-ai happens and then Hakuho is the winner and my brain is struggling to comprehend what the hell happened.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I liked the English stream commentary, they were really good at explaining things which helped a lot when I was used to just watching the bouts on youtube

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Honestly, I've been pretty pleased with the quality of sumo this tournament. Tochi vs. Takarafuji was just a great fight, as was Asanoyama vs. Endo. Hope Yutakayama finds his sumo again soon.

Day 7 standings:

code:
22	anakha
16	Banana Canada
21	bartolimu
17	Bentai
20	bessantj
20	Charles Gnarwin
26	Dias
22	GoatSeeGuy
20	ilmucche
18	jmzero
22	Jobbo_Fett
22	Kenning
20	Lid
17	LlamaTrauma
21	Maigius
17	Marching Powder
17	Martytoof
20	pseudodragon
20	QuasiQuack
16	riderchop
13	Robviously
17	Scythe
28	sivad
20	Spokes
20	whats for dinner
Remember, this is the last day for trades! No trading once nakabi starts!

Kenning fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 15, 2020

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Looking to trade Shohozan for Takanosho, and if possible Shodai for Asanoyama.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

What's my Day 7 score Kenning?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Whoops! When I copy/pasted your name didn't make it into the field I selected. I added you back to the score sheet.

Bentai posted:

Looking to trade Shohozan for Takanosho, and if possible Shodai for Asanoyama.

Your Shohozan > Takanosho trade is registered. It's one trade per day, and anyway Asanoyama is full.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 15, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There’s very little chance any trade I make brings me significantly closer to a victory so I’m going to just ride the non performers I have to the bitter end :q:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Since I'm in the run for the goon basho I'd like to switch Kaisei for Aoiyama or Kotonowaka. I'm not sure how the trading works so.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

whats for dinner posted:

Added bonus is I'm able to keep up a bit more with his footwork and positioning during bouts and can appreciate them a lot more. Watching some of the clips where he's at his peak it feels like the tachi-ai happens and then Hakuho is the winner and my brain is struggling to comprehend what the hell happened.

Watch his hips too. He's a master at breaking his opponent's balance by dropping his centre of gravity. There's a a hip wiggle he did more frequently when he was less banged up that indicated someone was about to get blasted into space.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Dias posted:

Since I'm in the run for the goon basho I'd like to switch Kaisei for Aoiyama or Kotonowaka. I'm not sure how the trading works so.

Either one of those will work, and both are available! If you don't clarify before the cutoff (i.e. when makuuchi bouts start) I'll assume you want Aoiyama, since you listed him first.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kenning posted:

Either one of those will work, and both are available! If you don't clarify before the cutoff (i.e. when makuuchi bouts start) I'll assume you want Aoiyama, since you listed him first.

I'll take Aoiyama, yeah.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sticking with tochinoshin is probably a mistake, but can't ditch the big boy

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Chiyomaru apparently has a high temperature...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Where the gently caress has this Shodai been all basho?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

When Enho got caught mid-air during his henka I thought for sure he was just gonna get spiked into the ground. Awesome bout!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Tochinoshin *clap clap clapclapclap*

Tochinoshin *clap clap clapclapclap*

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fun fact that clapping you hear are just tendons snapping in his knee

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Martytoof posted:

Fun fact that clapping you hear are just tendons snapping in his knee
:stonk: :stonklol:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

awfully sad that chiyomaru went kyujo after such a strong start. ten losses is really harsh this far down the totem pole.

kotonowaka beat the everloving poo poo out of chiyotairyu. can't believe the kid was scraping 8/7's in juryo.

tochiozan continues being a useless shitpile which is good to see.

tochi has loving worked for every single win he's gotten. dude is winning on heart alone. warrior. and i say 'warrior' in the pejorative way that means 'idiot doing irreparable damage to his body for no discernible reason'. respect though i love that idiocy.

didn't know enho had a 60cm vert.

cool that shodai decided to show up again.

hakuho handling abi was cool.

kakuryu when he's on is loving scary. mitakeumi was looking like a killer until he stepped in there with the big dogs. there's levels to this poo poo.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Day 8 standings:

code:
25	anakha
18	Banana Canada
24	bartolimu
21	Bentai
23	bessantj
22	Charles Gnarwin
29	Dias
25	GoatSeeGuy
23	ilmucche
22	jmzero
26	Jobbo_Fett
25	Kenning
25	Lid
18	LlamaTrauma
22	Maigius
20	Marching Powder
21	Martytoof
22	pseudodragon
24	QuasiQuack
19	riderchop
16	Robviously
20	Scythe
31	sivad
23	Spokes
22	whats for dinner

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Crossposting

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

Crossposting

lol

it just kept getting more absurd. fantastic.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i don't have any particular feelings about henkas, but if you're using one to defeat an already severely crippled person :cmon:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Elissimpark posted:

Watch his hips too. He's a master at breaking his opponent's balance by dropping his centre of gravity. There's a a hip wiggle he did more frequently when he was less banged up that indicated someone was about to get blasted into space.

This was timely advice, thank you! With today's bout against Ryuden I could actually see him get his feet and hips around into position to just pivot and push Ryuden out of the circle. Feels really cool to be able to start spotting these sorts of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

can't stop thinking about mitakeumi and how good he looked today and every other day that he wasn't fighting a yokozuna. they really are incredible.