Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
They are talking about the COVID testinf, but I didn't think we had the tests available, also aren't most labs only able to do like a dozen tests a day? How are they gonna do 15k a day?

Edit: got it, faster test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

On the bright side I finally got through to some of the office boomers by asking them how many times they've been to the hospital in the last year and then to realize next time they'll be at the back of the line behind 500 people that can't breathe.

Oh, you broke your arm? Are you gonna die right now? No? Well guess what, nobody gives a gently caress then.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

"anyone can request a test"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

bengy81 posted:

They are talking about the COVID testinf, but I didn't think we had the tests available, also aren't most labs only able to do like a dozen tests a day? How are they gonna do 15k a day?

We're going to be looking at that very strongly and we'll have a beautiful solution and everyone who wants a pony test will get one. Next question please.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Milo and POTUS posted:

No more mr nice, guys

:lol:

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Nothing more presidential than "the buck stops with the people I hired. But actually I barely know them. They did it all and I didn't know. Also Obama."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Every single time these assholes say anything about 2009 I want them to die even more.

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/technology/labs-face-challenges-creating-diagnosis-testing-covid-19

quote:

In addition, the experiences of the H1N1 pandemic a little over a decade ago could inform the current COVID-19 situation, according to Roswell Park's Nowak.

H1N1 was also a global emergency that instigated implementation of emergency-use diagnostic testing, with labs and commercial entities stepping up to develop tests. The CDC received EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) on May 2, 2009 after the emergency was declared in the U.S. on April 26, and commercial tests started receiving EUA about five months later.

Labs were also able to develop their own tests in that emergency. "During the 2009 H1N1 flu epidemic, FDA did not prohibit the use of LDTs (Lab-Developed Tests), and community hospital laboratories played a major role in testing for that virus," Nowak said in an email.

He and others wrote a review article after the H1N1 emergency on the role that community molecular diagnostics labs played. H1N1 was "the first pandemic in the age of molecular diagnostics," they wrote, and it begged questions about preparedness and oversight in the lab community.

The conclusion at the time was that labs did a great job. They were able to pioneer tests specific for H1N1 and deploy them rapidly to begin screening — an aspect that, along with surveillance testing, was initially delayed in the current COVID-19 outbreak due to issues with the first batch of CDC kits.

Indeed, the H1N1 review suggests that the "rich resource" of skilled molecular diagnostics experts was "generally undervalued, unappreciated, and … underutilized." It also noted that a survey by the Association for Molecular Pathology at the time revealed that labs relied on more than five different commercial assays, both analyte-specific reagents and in vitro diagnostic tests, and some also used noncommercial laboratory-developed tests.

A decade ago, the labs' H1N1 assay validation process was not regulated by FDA, and the new oversight is unprecedented.

"The FDA enforcement of the EUA requirement for [the current] testing was unfortunate and short sighted," Nowak said. He added that the strategy has "seriously delayed the availability of testing in the U.S."

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Wonder if that whole 'we'll have enough tests' is based on this, lol:

https://twitter.com/foundation_ma/status/1238317660871393280

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Ahh yes. 500k testing kits. That's a big number!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/AndrewKirell/status/1238563709297070087

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ahh yes. 500k testing kits. That's a big number!

It's better than what we had.

Close friend is feeling kind of poo poo, apparently. Sore throat, beginnings of a fever.

Sigh. :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

kids school is closed until further notice, prolly two weeks at least.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The virus-specific consumables for this test are available right here and cost $0.25/test and the other equipment and accessories are readily available in practically any research university or major hospital lab. There's no goddamn excuse for this being so hosed up.

https://www.idtdna.com/pages/landing/coronavirus-research-reagents

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
All schools, Kindergartens and day-cares closed in Bavaria as of Monday. Other states seem to be following suit.

Pretty much every parent at BMW is working from home now, so the next couple of weeks are gonna be interesting.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

IL schools closed for the rest of the month as of Tuesday! Glad my kiddo isn't school aged

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Kids are out of school until April 5th. Glad i make enough money that my wife can stay at home.

If I wanted to make a donation specifically to help people affected by this stuff, who would get the most bang for my buck? I'm thinking the local food bank? But if any of you have other ideas throw them at me.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

All schools, Kindergartens and day-cares closed in Bavaria as of Monday. Other states seem to be following suit.

Pretty much every parent at BMW is working from home now, so the next couple of weeks are gonna be interesting.

All schools in Rheinland-Pfalz, as well. Including DoDS schools.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
march break starts monday for ontario and the schools are gonna be closed for 2 more weeks after that, at least

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bloops posted:

I’ve got a trip to Utah in a week. Debating on cancelling. Any of you shifted travel plans?

I was planning on going to the Society for Military History annual conference in DC next month.

Was.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The country I'm in did that last week. Also getting ready to institute mandatory quarantine on anyone flying in from Europe.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i work weekend overnights from home so I can be home all week and play switch with the kiddo. Im very lucky though. Good luck to the other parents here.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
My boss's boss just sent out an extremely wishy-washy email saying that employees who choose to do so can telework 2 out of 5 days per week. How in the gently caress is that supposed to help anything? 9/10 people in my office can do their entire job with their laptop and an internet connection. There's no reason not to send people home except he's institutionalized and if there aren't asses in seats then work must not be getting done!

I told my direct supervisor if the policy is still the same on Monday I'll be filing a formal grievance/complaint/whatever with HR and he's all for it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wife already home schools and mima is a retired special ed teacher. No break for my little hellions.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
The local Panera was packed with kids and parents. Like standing room only. Going to have a bunch of cases tracked back to local food and wifi establishments which have become defacto childcare centers since the schools are closed.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremySWallace/status/1238459547578241025

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

boner penis posted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This makes fun of autistic people, please refrain from doing so in the future.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

McNally posted:

This makes fun of autistic people, please refrain from doing so in the future.

Jesus Christ

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

GoGoGadget posted:

Jesus Christ

What?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I shouldn't be surprised about this, but Trump/Pence lied about the new coronavirus website from Google being available to everyone on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/Google_Comms/status/1238574670686928906?s=19

The fuckers.

Edit: oh hey, good news!

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1238587463020445696?s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Bitch McConnell will block it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I thought it was the noise chuds made :shrug:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Company had an all hands meeting where they announced a rotating schedule of employees to work in the office one day and WFH the other. This is promptly met with a very loud "YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT OF A CONTAGIOUS VIRUS" and then leadership changed it to WFH indefinitely for those who want it.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

boner penis posted:

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hope your dick falls off fam

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

bengy81 posted:

If I wanted to make a donation specifically to help people affected by this stuff, who would get the most bang for my buck? I'm thinking the local food bank? But if any of you have other ideas throw them at me.
Pretty much every nonprofit is going to be hosed by this, so donate where you want. I'm in nonprofit fundraising and everyone is currently scrambling to figure this out.

First off, many nonprofits are essentially small businesses and face the same pressure small businesses are facing right now.
  • Their cash flow is likely to take a hit because they are having to cancel fundraising events, and their donors are freaked out about the market and the virus apocalypse.
  • Their staff is faced with dealing with kids who are at home instead of at school and all the disruption that causes, including being even more short staffed or having to hire temps.
  • Their clients are at home with kids and may not be using services (which instead of saving money, may cost the org if the services are reimbursed per service).

For things specific to nonprofits:
  • Many depend on volunteers to make their programs work. Many, many of those volunteers are retirees who do not want to be out in public right now.
  • Demand for their services is likely to go up while funding goes down. Obviously medical orgs are going to be seeing a spike in services, anyone with free/reduced cost daycare is about to be flooded, a lot of people are about to be unemployed, food banks are suddenly providing food that the USDA was giving schools.
  • A lot of them are scrambling to put together programming in ways that don't put 20 people in one room, and most of those ways are either more expensive or lead to a decrease in service quality (or both).
  • Many serve people who are more likely to be harmed by the virus than the general population, and need to find (more expensive) ways to protect those clients.
  • Many are held together by sheer gumption that on a good day is fraying, so there are a lot of unforeseen ways poo poo can go south really quickly for them.
This is just an off the top of my head list.

If you specifically want to help kids, give to a place that has childcare or before/after school care or the local food pantry. Think twice about the local food bank, since there will be corporate focus there. I'm talking about the little food pantry in the church basement that's about to see a spike in demand right as its volunteers start cancelling on it.

Otherwise, give where your passion is. Because whatever the organization is, it's probably about to be hurting if it's not already.
  • The homeless shelter is scrambling to find a way to provide enough soap, sanitizer, and space for the virus to not rip through it.
  • The rehab place that hosts all the support groups is having to hire someone to clean between each one, and has doubled its cleaning staff in the in-patient program
  • The local museum is losing a bunch of revenue, especially from families on spring break and cancelled field trips.
  • The theater downtown probably had to cancel a bunch of performances that they need ticket sales from.
  • The program that teaches STEM to kids on weekends is about to see a crush of kids whose parents need help.
  • The place that has all the homes for the developmentally disabled is going to have to hire a bunch of temps to make up for staffing and pay a lot more for cleaning.
  • The GED program is going to need to figure out how to teach virtually for a while.
  • Etc. Etc. etc.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I thought it was the noise chuds made :shrug:

Their term for it is literally "autistic screeching"

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Stravag posted:

Not gonna lie, I initially thought it was supposed to be a frog mating call sound. Because Pepe was their mascot.

I am not good at internet.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Stravag posted:

I had assumed it went with that gif of Donald Sutherland from the AotBS remake. I guess you learn new things every day.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah i used to know a guy who i thought was right wing but still sane, but then in 2016 he was recounting just how hard he got seeing like 18-19 year old hillary supporters go from hopeful to depressed to on the verge of tears and nothing had made him happier in his life. Him and his best buddies called it autistic screeching starting in like late 2015ish. I stopped associating with him completely pretty soon after nov 2016 but he probably fell in hard with the pepe crowd so its a toss up whether they pulled it from the frog sounds or from the sound some autistic people happen to make when theyre having a tougher moment. Depends on how lovely you want to assume the chuds are

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

GoGoGadget posted:

Jesus Christ

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/autistic-screeching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

You have to admire the virus's work ethic here. It didn't succeed the first time but it already had contingencies in place.