Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

AndyElusive posted:

I'm not loving complaining about motherfucking cussing I just don't like swears in every loving episode of my motherfucking Star Trek.

Also,

Well pucker up your rear end in a top hat, poo poo dick. It's about to get real loving mature up in this bitch. You've never seen Picard say poo poo like this before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Cojawfee posted:

Well pucker up your rear end in a top hat, poo poo dick. It's about to get real loving mature up in this bitch. You've never seen Picard say poo poo like this before.

God I want Picard to say "double dumb-rear end on you" so loving badly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Drone posted:

God I want Picard to say "double dumb-rear end on you" so loving badly.

It's a part of the historical record now, like if Nelson had said "cocks aplenty" at Trafalgar or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Keeping in mind that I've never watched Andromeda...what the gently caress is happening in this clip?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Do you Believe in Hell?

:laffo:

The wife and I both lol'd hard at this reaction

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The wife and I both lol'd hard at this reaction

I'm pretty sure this is the same face I make when people ask if I believe in ghosts or read horoscopes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the same face I make when people ask if I believe in ghosts or read horoscopes.

My sister makes fun of my other sister for believing in god but then says she believes in ghosts.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

thrawn527 posted:

Keeping in mind that I've never watched Andromeda...what the gently caress is happening in this clip?

Kevin Sorbo self-fellatioing on TV.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

It's a part of the historical record now, like if Nelson had said "cocks aplenty" at Trafalgar or something.

"England expects that every man will suck my dick" :britain:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cojawfee posted:

You'd better look out, Picard is gonna say gently caress!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lizard Combatant posted:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I can see why Blunt Talk got cancelled, but that was a show that had real heart.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I loved Blunt Talk and was annoyed that they cancelled it.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Real talk, how many people have attempted or committed suicide on this show, on and off-screen? I’m starting to feel like even Picard’s speechifying has a hard time overcoming such morbidity.

I felt like the moment with Seven in this episode was about to be the most metal thing that happened so far, exactly the sort of stakes-raising that I really wanted to see. And it would have worked just as well with Hugh in the same role. But then it’s immediately and instantaneously robbed from the character. Why do the writers keep actively squandering opportunities?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

istewart posted:

Real talk, how many people have attempted or committed suicide on this show, on and off-screen? I’m starting to feel like even Picard’s speechifying has a hard time overcoming such morbidity.

Let's see... two Romulan assassins with the acid capsule things, Ramdha, Jurati, Captain Vandermeer, several Romulan women who bashed their own heads in with rocks, and (if we count synths) F8 and probably about a zillion others. Am I missing any?

(Except everyone who didn't "choose to live" when Elnor offered them the chance, of course.)

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Snow Cone Capone posted:

-Narek
-Because he was told if he didn't than Starfleet was going to destroy his ship and everyone aboard. For all he knew they had an instant long-range self-destruct button. It was so traumatic he immediately killed himself. What did you expect him to do?

I'm pretty sure (I have not gone back to check the show, but Memory Alpha seems to suggest I'm right) that Narek isn't Zhat Vash. He's an agent for his sister. He works for her, he's not one of the Zhat Vash. Same with all the presumed super soldiers who can't shoot stationary targets. They just work for them, in the same way that guy with the iPad who opened the Cube isn't Zhat Vash, he's just a Romulan guy. Also Oh very specifically referred to the first Zhat Vash as "our foremothers", to specify that they were women. If they were all women to start with millenia ago, and they're all still women now, that suggests to me that they're exclusively women.

There are too many issues with the Vandermeer thing:
- According to Rios, he had to have known they were synths, because obviously it would be insane to become a murderer on a first contact attempt because one person on Earth threatened murdering thousands of their colleagues and compatriots. Though, apparently Vandermeer doesn't think murdering synthetic life is the same as murdering ...unsynthetic life. Like nothing anyone in the history of humanity ever conceived in regards to this ever mattered, let alone the things that happened in universe.
- Even military dictatorships in this universe never stooped to such hilariously insanely over the top villainy. Why the hell would Vandermeer have even the slightest inkling that the Federation, beacon of hope and unity in the universe, would openly threaten to commit and follow up on mass murder not only not against an enemy, but innocent serving members of their own loving military if the captain doesn't become a mindless killer.
- Rios blames himself for Vandermeer's suicide, because he says how hard he went at him after he, you know, became a murderer for no reason.
- What did I expect him to do? Not become a murderer, probably. Lie about doing a murder? Tell the people he's tasked with murdering that some rando across space wants him to murder them, do they know why? Be a person? This is the sort of dumb poo poo that writers do with Star Wars that make the universe feel tiny, because any opportunity they have to connect the main characters to a world of people around them, they instead shrug it off and use dumb events and names as plot points and intentionally sever the possibility that other people in the world have thoughts, impact or agency too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So is Soji the pusher robot or the shover robot?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

So is Soji the pusher robot or the shover robot?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm kind of impressed they've stuck to their guns and had everyone but Picard whipping out the hard swears so far. But yeah it is gonna be a stand up and take notice moment if JL suddenly drops a gently caress out of nowhere in one of the last two episodes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Last episode had better be titled “The Terrible Secret of Space”.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
It’s me. I’m the guy who just realized the Zatt Vaj reactions to the Prothean Beacon are ripped straight out of Lovecraft, and therefore very overused.

(As are a lot of those concepts obviously, but it’s all in the execution.)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I mean I know they cut away a few times, but I saw most of the vision and... I'm fine :smug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Giggs posted:

I'm pretty sure (I have not gone back to check the show, but Memory Alpha seems to suggest I'm right) that Narek isn't Zhat Vash. He's an agent for his sister. He works for her, he's not one of the Zhat Vash. Same with all the presumed super soldiers who can't shoot stationary targets. They just work for them, in the same way that guy with the iPad who opened the Cube isn't Zhat Vash, he's just a Romulan guy. Also Oh very specifically referred to the first Zhat Vash as "our foremothers", to specify that they were women. If they were all women to start with millenia ago, and they're all still women now, that suggests to me that they're exclusively women.

There are too many issues with the Vandermeer thing:
- According to Rios, he had to have known they were synths, because obviously it would be insane to become a murderer on a first contact attempt because one person on Earth threatened murdering thousands of their colleagues and compatriots. Though, apparently Vandermeer doesn't think murdering synthetic life is the same as murdering ...unsynthetic life. Like nothing anyone in the history of humanity ever conceived in regards to this ever mattered, let alone the things that happened in universe.
- Even military dictatorships in this universe never stooped to such hilariously insanely over the top villainy. Why the hell would Vandermeer have even the slightest inkling that the Federation, beacon of hope and unity in the universe, would openly threaten to commit and follow up on mass murder not only not against an enemy, but innocent serving members of their own loving military if the captain doesn't become a mindless killer.
- Rios blames himself for Vandermeer's suicide, because he says how hard he went at him after he, you know, became a murderer for no reason.
- What did I expect him to do? Not become a murderer, probably. Lie about doing a murder? Tell the people he's tasked with murdering that some rando across space wants him to murder them, do they know why? Be a person? This is the sort of dumb poo poo that writers do with Star Wars that make the universe feel tiny, because any opportunity they have to connect the main characters to a world of people around them, they instead shrug it off and use dumb events and names as plot points and intentionally sever the possibility that other people in the world have thoughts, impact or agency too.

You might be right about the Zhat Vash thing, but considering the Big Secret is ZV-only, Narek seems to know a lot about what/why the ZV is doing what they do.

As far as the Vandermeer thing:
When did Rios say Vandermeer had to have known they were synths? Unless Oh specifically told him that, their whole point is that they're indistinguishable from organics. And if Vandermeer didn't have a problem killing synths, I don't think Rios giving him poo poo about it would have been enough to make him eat a phaser. It seemed to me Rios' shocked reaction to Soji wasn't "this synth looks just like the last synth I met," it was "this synth looks just like the woman my captain murdered in cold blood." I don't think he made the "emissaries were synths" connection until that point. Not to mention that if Rios knew the emissaries were synths, he probably would have spoken up at some point in the last several episodes. "Hey it's weird that everyone seems to want to kill this synth, my career actually ended because my captain killed a synth. I wonder if there's a connection?" The second he sees Soji and starts to connect the dots, his immediate reaction is "gently caress this, I'm out."

Finally, while I too would have liked to hear about a Starfleet captain upholding the Starfleet ideals and refusing to murder innocents in cold blood during First Contact, the fact of the matter is we got very few details about how everything went down, and I still maintain that if I was being held essentially at nuke-point with the lives of a few thousand of my loyal crew at stake, potentially hinging on a split-second decision, I dunno how heroic I could be. Again, obviously the decision weighed so loving heavily on him that he did it, and, once satisfied his crew was safe, immediately took his own life.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 13, 2020

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
While I don’t know if I liked it or not, the whole thing reminded me of that Omega Lockout/Directive thing from (I think?) Voyager. Starship Captain and up only level DO THIS RIGHT NOW (or don’t do this right now whatever the case may be.)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought Narissa said that ‘the Borg assimilated the wrong ship’ and it implied that it was not intentional on the part of the Zhat Vash.

'The wrong ship' is the one that was carrying the person who would shut the cube down if she was assimilated.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

mllaneza posted:

'The wrong ship' is the one that was carrying the person who would shut the cube down if she was assimilated.

I don't think so. It wasn't like "you hosed with the wrong guy!" She follows it up immediately with "I would have made a better Borg." You have to assume that what broke the Borg when they assimilated Auntie Whatsername was the knowledge from the Admonition. Would most likely have also happened if Narissa was the one who was assimilated.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

My sister makes fun of my other sister for believing in god but then says she believes in ghosts.

Ghosts should be one of those things that's generally considered rude or risky to bring up in public or polite conversation. Religion, Politics, Ghosts. Nothing else about a person's beliefs, level of skepticism, personality, genetics, etc is a reliable indicator of ghost-believing. Sometimes even a person who doesn't believe in ghosts will believe in a ghost. Every time a house makes a creaky noise, a ghost gets its sheet.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You might be right about the Zhat Vash thing, but considering the Big Secret is ZV-only, Narek seems to know a lot about what/why the ZV is doing what they do.

As far as the Vandermeer thing:
When did Rios say Vandermeer had to have known they were synths? Unless Oh specifically told him that, their whole point is that they're indistinguishable from organics. And if Vandermeer didn't have a problem killing synths, I don't think Rios giving him poo poo about it would have been enough to make him eat a phaser. It seemed to me Rios' shocked reaction to Soji wasn't "this synth looks just like the last synth I met," it was "this synth looks just like the woman my captain murdered in cold blood." I don't think he made the "emissaries were synths" connection until that point. Not to mention that if Rios knew the emissaries were synths, he probably would have spoken up at some point in the last several episodes. "Hey it's weird that everyone seems to want to kill this synth, my career actually ended because my captain killed a synth. I wonder if there's a connection?" The second he sees Soji and starts to connect the dots, his immediate reaction is "gently caress this, I'm out."

Finally, while I too would have liked to hear about a Starfleet captain upholding the Starfleet ideals and refusing to murder innocents in cold blood during First Contact, the fact of the matter is we got very few details about how everything went down, and I still maintain that if I was being held essentially at nuke-point with the lives of a few thousand of my loyal crew at stake, potentially hinging on a split-second decision, I dunno how heroic I could be. Again, obviously the decision weighed so loving heavily on him that he did it, and, once satisfied his crew was safe, immediately took his own life.

I can't remember what Narek has said about stuff, but I don't remember him actually saying anything about the vision or its consequences. Also given that love conquered his subterfuge and need to murder, it makes me believe he doesn't know *the thing*, given that the "knowledge" is shown to be more like programming that's uncontrollable and more akin to reconditioning/brainwashing.

~52 minutes in
Picard: Did he know they were synthetic?
Rios: I have to believe he did. He must have thought that because of that, he'd be able to live with it.

You're right that Rios didn't know they were synths back then, which is why he might have been even more upset at Vandermeer and go so hard at him for being a murderer. That being said, it obviously shouldn't matter at all whether they were bio synths that are literally indistinguishable from non synths. Still just straight-up murder.
I just think it's crazy for this show to attempt to rationalize "I was just following orders" given that there's no reasonable expectation the threat could even be actionable let alone meaningful or sincere. In his position, assuming it was for some reason a split-second decision, I'm pretty sure every living person who doesn't have a huge desire for murdering innocents would respond to the request with "Uh.. what... what? What? Uhh.. I don't know.. Uhh.. Jesus christ this is insane, this cannot possibly be real..." not "Okay I'll do a murder but I won't like it!"

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

istewart posted:

I felt like the moment with Seven in this episode was about to be the most metal thing that happened so far, exactly the sort of stakes-raising that I really wanted to see.

May we interest you in a bottle of Bloodshot Vino Diesel '20?

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Delsaber posted:

The idea of some ancient race 200-300,000 years ago straight up moving eight stars and a planet together as a warning for future cultures is some wild poo poo that kinda feels like something I'd find stumbling around with a science ship in Stellaris.

The ability to do something like that has been mentioned at least once, the Tkon were capable of moving stars, according to The Last Outpost but I'm not sure if the timeframe lines up.

The T'kon line up. So do the Iconians and who ever built those androids Kirk ran into. Not the ones from the Mudd episode but the one where nurse Chapel runs into her fiance.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Giggs posted:

I can't remember what Narek has said about stuff, but I don't remember him actually saying anything about the vision or its consequences. Also given that love conquered his subterfuge and need to murder, it makes me believe he doesn't know *the thing*, given that the "knowledge" is shown to be more like programming that's uncontrollable and more akin to reconditioning/brainwashing.

~52 minutes in
Picard: Did he know they were synthetic?
Rios: I have to believe he did. He must have thought that because of that, he'd be able to live with it.

You're right that Rios didn't know they were synths back then, which is why he might have been even more upset at Vandermeer and go so hard at him for being a murderer. That being said, it obviously shouldn't matter at all whether they were bio synths that are literally indistinguishable from non synths. Still just straight-up murder.
I just think it's crazy for this show to attempt to rationalize "I was just following orders" given that there's no reasonable expectation the threat could even be actionable let alone meaningful or sincere. In his position, assuming it was for some reason a split-second decision, I'm pretty sure every living person who doesn't have a huge desire for murdering innocents would respond to the request with "Uh.. what... what? What? Uhh.. I don't know.. Uhh.. Jesus christ this is insane, this cannot possibly be real..." not "Okay I'll do a murder but I won't like it!"

You're right, I missed that line. In which case, yeah Vandermeer probably didn't think it was on par with murdering organics. Which probably made the decision of "do this or I blow up your ship" easier at the time. Not everyone was sympathetic like Picard and this was after the Mars attack, right?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
as fun as Raffi and the holos was it was breathtakingly lazy that Rios's tragic backstory tied directly into Picard's mission. I know it's far from the only plot contrivance the show makes but it's by far the most offensive

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AndyElusive posted:

I really didn't have an issue with the swearing before, like, at all. But man, I'd love to go a couple of episodes of Picard without someone yelling "gently caress" just for the hell of it.

I guess that's modern television dialog now though.
My problem with it is just how forced it seems. It's very much American TV Swearing, where people don't normally swear but there's a certain quota per episode. If no one swears then you don't notice because that's just how TV dialogue is. If people swear realistically then you don't notice because that's just how people talk. American TV does this dumb thing where the dialogue is mostly no swearing but then they drop one "gently caress" in there and, no matter how reasonable it actually is in isolation, it feels really weird because no one else is saying it.

Autism Sneaks posted:

as fun as Raffi and the holos was it was breathtakingly lazy that Rios's tragic backstory tied directly into Picard's mission. I know it's far from the only plot contrivance the show makes but it's by far the most offensive
Worse than Riker and Troi's son dying because of the synth ban? :crossarms:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

All aboard the USS Enterprise-C Plot Contrivance

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

SpeakSlow posted:

May we interest you in a bottle of Bloodshot Vino Diesel '20?

Wait a minute, you mean there might be a movie worth seeing in theaters in the middle of this apocalypse after all? :haw:

Spoiler alert: Probably not

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Weirdly I actually heard Bloodshot was half-decent, also AMC theaters are cutting theater capacity in half and most people would be too paranoid to go, so go for it my dude no don't

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just now realized that the woman from the second episode that Soji made friends with has had zero role in the series

Early casting leaks seem to indicate that the role would have been bigger but was cut down for some reason:

quote:

Connie, a female who is also in her early 30’s. She’s African-American and has a quick temper, but is also quick to forgive. In addition to dealing with the loss of her husband, she is also avoiding a death sentence on her home planet. She’s a mercenary pilot who uses her ship to transport people to and from an artifact of some kind, though the ship is massively overqualified for that job.

Note that this is different from the info for what must have been Raffi:

quote:

Alana is a female in her mid-40s to mid-50s and is of any ethnicity. She’s a brilliant analyst and has a great memory despite abusing drugs and alcohol. Often times she gets irritated with her own vulnerability and is certain of herself, even when she’s wrong. A former intelligence officer, she sees conspiracies everywhere. Her professional and personal losses weigh heavily on her.

I'm going to guess that the original idea was to have her build a friendship with Soji and then fly her and Picard off the cube.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Giggs posted:

- Why are the Zhat Vash exclusive to women? Feels a lot like someone decided it wasn't special enough and like an inexperienced DM, aka a bad writer, chose a dumb thing. I couldn't help but laugh at the sudden stupid suicide-fest.

I think they're drawing some from Diane Duane's Romulans, and they come across as kind of matriarchal. And both the Zhat Vash and the Qowat Milat seem to be female only organizations.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Drow gonna drow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There was something that bothered me this episode, it didn't start here, but I feel like it has been getting worse.

A whole loving lot of "there's no time to explain" just zipping along to the next plot point thing. Star Trek drat near invented technobabble, do more of that for explanations. Just seems strange to me.