Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

One of our guys got yanked from TDY, I wondered when this was going to be officially ordered.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1238657947363876864

https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/1238658857108463616

That is not our guidance. Travel more carefully considered and restrictions but not at all what those tweets claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

BurningChrome posted:

I mean a dude I played HOTS w introduced me to this place. I'm still figuring it out. Definitely gonna minimize my time there. It's getting to be a bit daft loving with those particular posters

There are still a lot of great discussions and interesting info on SA. D&D is a loving cesspool though. Find some subforums focused on stuff you are into and follow threads there.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Yeah what? (the tdy stuff)

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Does anyone have a link to the article that quote came from?

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/syria-isis-kevin-dawes

GQ posted:

He'd met one of those "friends" on somethingawful.com, a comedy website whose regulars like to call themselves goons and which was a good part of the reason he was here. Dawes preferred to hang out on its more ghoulish, conspiracy-mongering forums; one of his favourites, dedicated to military matters, was called "goons in platoons". On the site, Dawes called himself "Caro"; after he got banned for trolling, he came back as "Caro Ascendant". The previous year, when he'd announced his intention to travel to revolutionary Libya to be a photojournalist and deliver medicine, the response among his enemies there had been "LOL". But Dawes had gone anyway and come home with YouTube footage to tell the tale. Now they were sniggering about his Syria plans. He was going to do the same again.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Hekk posted:

There are still a lot of great discussions and interesting info on SA. D&D is a loving cesspool though. Find some subforums focused on stuff you are into and follow threads there.

I hear this place called YOSPOS might be good for an aspiring computer nerd. I haven't went there though I think they might cool judging by this vid I found. This came up in a cursory search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPAZvxmLfcQ

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just be aware this is the ghoulish, conspiracy mongering subforum

I thought it was the subforum for idiots who enlisted?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

BurningChrome posted:

I thought it was the subforum for idiots who enlisted?

They don't have to be mutually exclusive

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Flikken posted:

They don't have to be mutually exclusive

When you're right, you're right. I checked out the anime forum briefly when I was on a gundam binge but I didn't interact with any of the posters. Do I need to worry about them in that sub forum or what?

warsow
Jun 28, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

One of our guys got yanked from TDY, I wondered when this was going to be officially ordered.

https://www.stripes.com/news/us/dod-announces-restrictions-on-domestic-travel-for-service-members-civilians-effective-monday-1.622392

Has an embed of the memo as well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flikken posted:

And we had a member perform amateur surgery in Libya, then spent a few years in a Syrian prison

A few years in a syrian torture prison

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Yeah this tracks with what we were thinking. When my guy got pulled, we took a look at every drat site/order possible to see why exactly the TDY was cancelled. The only thing we could find the whole week was some poo poo about CDC-designated Level 2 / Level 3 warning areas for travel (like South Korea, Italy, China, etc), which always included mentions banning going *to* those Level 2 / Level 3 areas.

That's when we kind of realized that it was essentially implied that *we* were a Zone 2 / Zone 3 area. I figured it would be about two weeks to mandatory telework, it turned out to be one.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Tell them they're to man the crab fields. Then you'll be able to open a roadside crab stand. Soon you'll be rolling in crab bucks.

I know this is obviously not a real suggestion, but hiring people in exchange for rent is a legal minefield, no matter whom the terms favor.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Hot take: D&D is fine outside the handful of obvious threads where a few kooks turn the thing into a frothing echo chamber.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gip.png

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Flikken posted:

And we had a member perform amateur surgery in Libya, then spent a few years in a Syrian prison

Wuuuut

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

facialimpediment posted:

I almost had to cancel my plans for this, but I hit command approval to go to bend...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

consider the source and all, but i enjoy c-spam the most

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Caro

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Whoooooo?

E: nm found a gq article. Kevin dawes?

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

UwU

quote:

Over several years he'd convinced himself that his grandmother had been in the CIA and that a secretive network in the same organisation had tortured him, quietly sterilised him and done all sorts of other unspeakable things to get him to do their bidding. Aided by tiny computer chips and cameras, and by mysterious suggestions delivered during his sleep, they'd tried to brainwash him and otherwise mess with his head. They had planted tramps around his house to keep an eye on him; now they wanted him for a top-secret CIA stud farm. To do something about it, he'd taken a cab to the Russian Federation embassy in Washington, but they'd "told me to f*** off at the gate".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The same guy

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

This guy in the story linked upthread (which I guess you found while I was typing this):

SAclopedia entry: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2299

Podcast: https://soundcloud.com/user-798629330/episode-93-kevin-patrick-dawes
I take exception to them calling out Vincent Van Goatse for having a good account name in the podcast, wasn't he called something like ALL-PRO SEXMAN back then? This is a historical inaccuracy!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dude who posted here a bunch, got banned a few times, decided to go do some one-man war tourism in the middle east, helped perform battlefield surgery with no medical expertise, snuck into Syria, got captured, survived a Syrian POW camp for a couple years, then got returned to the US in a POW exchange

WaPo article from his release: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e1a3_story.html

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Yeah I'm running through that GQ article. Caro syria pulled it right up.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Well, the crazy fucker did more than most people running their mouths on these here internets. Wow just wow that this forum produced him.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

I'm shocked this guy survived. He should have died out there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

BurningChrome posted:

Well, the crazy fucker did more than most people running their mouths on these here internets. Wow just wow that this forum produced him.

we didnt produce him. we encouraged him multiple times to seek help

he PM'd me a bunch asking for advice on learning combat medicine. poo poo read like like a schizophrenic ramble. Unibomber type poo poo that I never responded to. i'd laugh but he's loving lucky to be alive.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yeah for the most part SA as a whole doesn't so much produce weird people as the weird people come to SA thinking it's a forum full of weird people. Inevitably they get banned due to rampant crazy and either take the L or pay the spine fine.

Some pay the spine fine over and over and over before switching to stolen credit cards and chargebacks but the stories of Dare and Jon Pop are for another day

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Back when more cops used to post here, Caro would challenge them to boxing matches. I think one of them- maybe Commander Shepherd?- took him up on it but I don’t think it ever happened.

He also used to barge into the earlier incarnations of Middle East thread in D&D (which actually used to be a great and interesting read between 2011-2013) and pick fights with Brown Moses (who actually got his OSINT start by geolocating and tracking the conflict in Libya, then Syria) and other people. His posting style made it crystal loving clear that he was not well.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

we didnt produce him. we encouraged him multiple times to seek help

Let me rephrase: it's not like I'm saying "oh hey you guys made him." I'm saying he's merely a product of the forum, because he signed up, stuck around long enough before going on his little war tourist adventure. That's it. Let me read the rest.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

Yeah for the most part SA as a whole doesn't so much produce weird people as the weird people come to SA thinking it's a forum full of weird people. Inevitably they get banned due to rampant crazy and either take the L or pay the spine fine.

Some pay the spine fine over and over and over before switching to stolen credit cards and chargebacks but the stories of Dare and Jon Pop are for another day

Far better assessment than I had, thank you.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Back when more cops used to post here, Caro would challenge them to boxing matches. I think one of them- maybe Commander Shepherd?- took him up on it but I don’t think it ever happened.

He also used to barge into the earlier incarnations of Middle East thread in D&D (which actually used to be a great and interesting read between 2011-2013) and pick fights with Brown Moses (who actually got his OSINT start by geolocating and tracking the conflict in Libya, then Syria) and other people. His posting style made it crystal loving clear that he was not well.

Gotcha.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A CIA stud farm?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

A CIA stud farm?

Weird brains are gonna weird.

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

Milo and POTUS posted:

A CIA stud farm?

What is the color of the cumshack at Hereford?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

BurningChrome posted:

I'm shocked this guy survived. He should have died out there.

Caro May 25, 2010 22:23 posted:

Black like your eyes have been painted with velvet. It's so dark that it is as if the darkness is stuck to your face. No matter which direction you look. Instrument navigation as a diver that deep with no lights is really difficult, on par with navigating an aircraft in pitch darkness with no landmarks or airspeed indicators. Just an altimeter, charts, and a compass. It's actually a bit worse since you're about the same density as the fluid you're moving through. Turbulence screws you much more quickly than it would an aircraft.

Oxygen toxicity is also a big problem that deep. On such a technical dive you have to carry several bottles with varying partial pressures of oxygen. Breathe from the wrong tank at the wrong depth and you die. You can't confuse those regulators. It only takes one breath on a too-lean mixture, maybe a couple on a too-rich mixture though probably also one. I'd have to look that up again. I'm pretty sure you have zero chance of survival if you do that, however.

Technical divers are crazy. The craziest technical divers are Frenchmen. It's on the same level as wingsuit base jumping

this was a PM from him that i saved

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
:stare: did he ahhh have a point that he was getting to with that?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It amazes me every day that Caro lived though everything he did.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Hot take: D&D is fine outside the handful of obvious threads where a few kooks turn the thing into a frothing echo chamber.

Yeah I'll sign on to this, like even USPol gets pretty bad sometimes but there's still some good news dumps and effort posts that make it worth keeping up with.

Meanwhile, I've try to check up with the Dem primary thread every once in a while and hooooly poo poo no thank you.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

It was an interesting merge with real life when I did my mandatory in-person SERE training and the SERE guys were talking about their current repatriation case, some nut job who went to Syria

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Neat piece from the New York Times about how social distancing, when done properly, can break an exponential spread of epidemic. It's mostly an interview with two epidemiologists from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine and the Imperial College London.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/science/coronavirus-math-mitigation-distancing.html

Spoiler alert: we're def not moving fast enough in response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The military is moving extremely fast at the policy level but then a lot of units are still doing dumb poo poo with shift schedules and care for individuals. We’re about to see how ready the base is when school doesn’t resume on Monday.

:ssh: family care plans don’t work so great when everyone just put everyone else on base