Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

PROGRESS!!! I can now summon multiple trusts, but I need someone to please hold my hand through how to get more trusts. Right now I only have Excenmille, and he is kinda stupid.

Off the top of my head: ROEs for summoning them, nation missions, conquest points, and, at least the one that just ended which is where I got a buttload, login points

Also google unities and find a unity NPC, joining gives you their leader as a summon - I chose Yoran Oran because he’s supposedly one of the better healing trusts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Well I decided to transfer to Asura anyway because there's really no point in staying on Shiva since all my friends are long gone. I'm Ordone in game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I got my trusts and can summon up to 4 now. What a world of difference it makes to grinding.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a recommended outdoor zone for grinding levels at around level 43+?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I said come in! posted:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fantastic_EXPs_and_Where_to_Find_Them

this guide is good but also bad. the info is accurate but also because a lot of people use it the zones can be busy. particularly some of the parts that have limited options listed.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I did 40-50 with a goon friend in Crawlers Nest, good alternative to garlaige as it’s not on the fantastic exp list and thus isn’t as crowded

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Fantastic_EXPs_and_Where_to_Find_Them

this guide is good but also bad. the info is accurate but also because a lot of people use it the zones can be busy. particularly some of the parts that have limited options listed.

That guide is why I was asking for something else. Garlaige is a bad dungeon.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

(extremely 2004 voice) garbage shittyhell

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I completely forgot about limit breaks, got my af1 and 2, then couldn’t equip the boots, now I’m pausing my AF quests to do this long rear end sneaking through garlaige crawlers nest and a place I’ve never been

Then I’ve gotta do all of delkfutts and two promyvions, there’s so much content needed do even the halfway mark basic advancement stuff

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Frog Act posted:

I completely forgot about limit breaks, got my af1 and 2, then couldn’t equip the boots, now I’m pausing my AF quests to do this long rear end sneaking through garlaige crawlers nest and a place I’ve never been

Then I’ve gotta do all of delkfutts and two promyvions, there’s so much content needed do even the halfway mark basic advancement stuff
Full FFXI experience.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Someone repost the discord link there are a bunch of goons now but we're not all in the same LS

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Frog Act posted:

Someone repost the discord link there are a bunch of goons now but we're not all in the same LS

Here ya go
https://discord.gg/MKw5d5a

I'm not currently subbed but god drat reading all these questions and advice about old FFXI content really hits you in the nostalgia. I really wish I could relive all that fresh (but also the grind was so brutal back then so pass).

I've often debated resubbing as a new character, but it's very hard to leave behind all your progress as well.

keep it down up there! fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 11, 2020

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
treasure hunter finally explained

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/56550

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

I said come in! posted:

That guide is why I was asking for something else. Garlaige is a bad dungeon.

You can hit up the old school locations if you have a party.

https://ffxiclopedia.fandom.com/wiki/Experience_Points:_Guide_for_Levels_37-75

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

my bf asked me last night what I actually enjoyed about FFXI, because I always tell him: 'I won't call FFXI a good game, or a bad game, just a different and weird game'.

I guess the biggest thing for me that I enjoy is the progression, not just at the top end but actually getting there in the first place. It's very... open ended in a way? Like there's a lot of pretty defined Things To Do, but there's no one right way to go about them, and there's a lot of poo poo to do. It might be overwhelming to some, but it fills a similar niche in my time that something like Minecraft would. Setting small goals and things to do, picking some activities or stories etc. that I want to clear.

I like the gearing itself, I initially was pretty turned off by things like swapping gear in combat but instead in practice it leaves me feeling smart when I piece together the various gear set puzzles. I enjoy that there's no clearly defined, set in stone gear to get for each 'tier'. I also like that there's a lot of weird niche use things in game, and that the time invested in your relics* etc. is generally a good investment in a thing you'll get to use more or less forever. Compared to XIV relics which were a similarly wild time sink for a piece of gear that was never optimal and then thrown in the glam dustbin as soon as the expansion ended.

This also ties back into the 'things to do' aspect, since almost every activity will reward you with something of value long term. For example, WotG sucks, but the earring at the end is still something a lot of jobs can make use of.

I'm enjoying the community, and seeing the same people (both good and bad) on a regular basis around the world, and being able to look at a guy and go 'oh yeah that player's a wicked good corsair/war/whatever they are'.

(*not counting the REMA weapons that just flat-out suck though)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Can THF find coffers in dungeons? I’m about to go to eldieme necropolis for one, then castle oztroja for the next, and after spending a full hour running around with a goon friend to find the one in Garlaige I am beginning to wish for such a skill

Also the above post, I totally agree, I’m having great fun and I’m not even level 60, my current cap

Also also I’ll be around a lot in the next while cus of the plague, if the awesome world pass giver has time to login and hook me up with the echad ring in the next week or so, I’d really appreciate it

Ed: trying to find coffers in the necropolis is horrible holy gently caress there are three zones to enter from and a dozen doors. I have to fall through the center but I can’t figure out how the gently caress to even get there

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 13, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tsurupettan posted:

my bf asked me last night what I actually enjoyed about FFXI, because I always tell him: 'I won't call FFXI a good game, or a bad game, just a different and weird game'.

I guess the biggest thing for me that I enjoy is the progression, not just at the top end but actually getting there in the first place. It's very... open ended in a way? Like there's a lot of pretty defined Things To Do, but there's no one right way to go about them, and there's a lot of poo poo to do. It might be overwhelming to some, but it fills a similar niche in my time that something like Minecraft would. Setting small goals and things to do, picking some activities or stories etc. that I want to clear.

I like the gearing itself, I initially was pretty turned off by things like swapping gear in combat but instead in practice it leaves me feeling smart when I piece together the various gear set puzzles. I enjoy that there's no clearly defined, set in stone gear to get for each 'tier'. I also like that there's a lot of weird niche use things in game, and that the time invested in your relics* etc. is generally a good investment in a thing you'll get to use more or less forever. Compared to XIV relics which were a similarly wild time sink for a piece of gear that was never optimal and then thrown in the glam dustbin as soon as the expansion ended.

This also ties back into the 'things to do' aspect, since almost every activity will reward you with something of value long term. For example, WotG sucks, but the earring at the end is still something a lot of jobs can make use of.

I'm enjoying the community, and seeing the same people (both good and bad) on a regular basis around the world, and being able to look at a guy and go 'oh yeah that player's a wicked good corsair/war/whatever they are'.

(*not counting the REMA weapons that just flat-out suck though)

The thing I find most interesting about the "good but bad" aspect of the game is the core gameplay. Like, on paper it sounds super boring, and holy hell are watching videos of it boring too, at least on the surface. Like, you sit there auto-attacking, and hit a skill every 10-30 seconds tops. compared to modern MMOs like FFXIV where you're constantly mashing on global cooldowns while trying to hit off cooldown skills in between, etc. FFXI is way less active, but when playing it feels way more intense than many other MMOs. I feel like there could be a thesis written on how FFXI makes such a seemingly boring combat system so engaging.

Frog Act posted:

Can THF find coffers in dungeons? I’m about to go to eldieme necropolis for one, then castle oztroja for the next, and after spending a full hour running around with a goon friend to find the one in Garlaige I am beginning to wish for such a skill

Also the above post, I totally agree, I’m having great fun and I’m not even level 60, my current cap

Also also I’ll be around a lot in the next while cus of the plague, if the awesome world pass giver has time to login and hook me up with the echad ring in the next week or so, I’d really appreciate it

Ed: trying to find coffers in the necropolis is horrible holy gently caress there are three zones to enter from and a dozen doors. I have to fall through the center but I can’t figure out how the gently caress to even get there

Using coffer maps on the wiki is probably the best choice, I've found. While THF can't FIND coffers easier than other jobs, they CAN attempt to use thief tools to pick the locks instead of having to find keys! Although that can backfire and cause you to become weakened, cause the coffer to vanish, or spawn a mimic. On the plus side, treasure hunter helps keys drop faster!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
it’s the horizontal gear for me. gear swap makes it a completely different game. I love it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

star eater posted:

it’s the horizontal gear for me. gear swap makes it a completely different game. I love it.

Yeah I really love the horizontal gear.

One thing I've posted about before here, I think, is that the game's boss / encounter design is top-notch. So many MMOs utilize more of a simon-says-style boss design, where you just need to Do The Thing or stand in The Place or you wipe; they're designed like puzzles, where you just need to figure out what the designers want from you, and then execute them. They wind up being more of an exercise in memorization and/or trial and error than anything.

FFXI, meanwhile, tends to design its fights with a more broad challenge, and then asks the players to come up with a strategy on how they want to beat it. Like, a VERY simple example from back when promyvions were capped was the Wreaker boss at the end of Promyvion Holla, which uses an AOE sleep move. Do you bring along poison potions to wake you up, but risk dying from the extra damage? Do you use only ranged damage dealers to stay out of the AOE? Do you bring along a tank that can AOE heal so that they can wake up everyone? Hope your healer can do that? You could also bring along the anima items that prevent TP moves from those bosses, or you can try to bring stunners along to interrupt it using that TP move. Or you can just say "gently caress it" and ignore the mechanic entirely and just hope for the best. There's tons of possibilities, and it leaves the decision of how to handle that up to the individual teams.

I feel like that fight in a modern MMO would be something like "if you don't stand in this specific area, you get put to sleep" and that'd be the end of it. I suppose in FFXI that is still TECHNICALLY true, but without the high mobility and pulled-back camera and big flashing AOEs of modern MMOs, the strategy is more based around deciding if you want to deal with the consequences of the move or figure out ways to avoid it, rather than just doing the thing the game wants you to in order to not die.

(Yes I realize this fight is insanely trivialized nowadays, but it's still a good example of this sort of thing that isn't super complicated, and also I'm not that familiar with current endgame fights enough to find a good example there)

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yeah I really love the horizontal gear.

One thing I've posted about before here, I think, is that the game's boss / encounter design is top-notch. So many MMOs utilize more of a simon-says-style boss design, where you just need to Do The Thing or stand in The Place or you wipe; they're designed like puzzles, where you just need to figure out what the designers want from you, and then execute them. They wind up being more of an exercise in memorization and/or trial and error than anything.

FFXI, meanwhile, tends to design its fights with a more broad challenge, and then asks the players to come up with a strategy on how they want to beat it. Like, a VERY simple example from back when promyvions were capped was the Wreaker boss at the end of Promyvion Holla, which uses an AOE sleep move. Do you bring along poison potions to wake you up, but risk dying from the extra damage? Do you use only ranged damage dealers to stay out of the AOE? Do you bring along a tank that can AOE heal so that they can wake up everyone? Hope your healer can do that? You could also bring along the anima items that prevent TP moves from those bosses, or you can try to bring stunners along to interrupt it using that TP move. Or you can just say "gently caress it" and ignore the mechanic entirely and just hope for the best. There's tons of possibilities, and it leaves the decision of how to handle that up to the individual teams.

I feel like that fight in a modern MMO would be something like "if you don't stand in this specific area, you get put to sleep" and that'd be the end of it. I suppose in FFXI that is still TECHNICALLY true, but without the high mobility and pulled-back camera and big flashing AOEs of modern MMOs, the strategy is more based around deciding if you want to deal with the consequences of the move or figure out ways to avoid it, rather than just doing the thing the game wants you to in order to not die.

(Yes I realize this fight is insanely trivialized nowadays, but it's still a good example of this sort of thing that isn't super complicated, and also I'm not that familiar with current endgame fights enough to find a good example there)

Its a good concept until some rear end in a top hat like me comes up with something like 'stack 3 summoners with max buffs and debuffs then melt the boss >1 minute from pop' that they then have to program in hard counters in new content.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How come my job abilities, and weapon skills are always greyed out and i'm barely ever able to use them? I'm leveling a warrior right now, and wondering if I am missing something?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

How come my job abilities, and weapon skills are always greyed out and i'm barely ever able to use them? I'm leveling a warrior right now, and wondering if I am missing something?

Are the job abilities on cool down? Provoke has a 30s cool down, berserk has a 5 minute one. Weapon skills can only be used when you have 1000 tp.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CodfishCartographer posted:

Are the job abilities on cool down? Provoke has a 30s cool down, berserk has a 5 minute one. Weapon skills can only be used when you have 1000 tp.

Okay that is probably it. I didn't realize that. I don't see anything that really indicates this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

Okay that is probably it. I didn't realize that. I don't see anything that really indicates this.

Ah yeah, when you highlight a Job Ability that's on cool down, you can see a secondary window showing the time left. If you try to use it, a message will appear in the chat also letting you know how much time is left.

TP's primary use is on weapon skills - you need at least 1000 TP to use a WS, but when you use one it will use up all of your TP. Each weapon Skill gets buffed differently depending on how much TP is used, but generally more TP will mean more damage - often through ignoring defense, raising accuracy, increased crit chance, or even just plain ol' boosting damage.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Some of the zones in this game are so loving confusing to navigate. Trying to do the level 65 LB, and I've been running around Davoi and the Monastic Cavern, and it sucks, even with wikis and maps.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
There are plenty of others.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Some of the zones in this game are so loving confusing to navigate. Trying to do the level 65 LB, and I've been running around Davoi and the Monastic Cavern, and it sucks, even with wikis and maps.

Ugh yeah I had to do Davoi for RDM AF1, but honestly it isn’t nearly as bad as Eldieme Necropolis, Garlaige, the Bostaineux Oubliette, etc, just seems to be a common theme

Also does anyone know if you still receive the sprout beret 40 days after joining via gold wp?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just found out finally how to enable a second job. :v: Finally got my mount too at level 50. Now working on my first limit break so I can level up to 55.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Shart Carbuncle posted:

That's the worst Limit Break quest by a long shot, especially since they nerfed LB1 so you can just pick up the item from a ??? spot instead of farming hundreds of skeletons for a papyrus. Some of the zones are mazelike but I think they're well designed enough that you eventually get a feel for where to go, but this is from someone who has been playing the game a long time so I know them like the back of my hand at this point.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

is it worth 1000 login points to get the 150% exp ring? Can it be recharged or am I spending 1k points for three charges?

also I'll be on a ton this week as I'm working from home, Necrosaro, whats your IGN? so I can keep an eye out and try to message you sometime for the echad ring. now that I'm about to level my subjobs (WHM/NIN) one would be extraordinarily helpful

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Frog Act posted:

is it worth 1000 login points to get the 150% exp ring? Can it be recharged or am I spending 1k points for three charges?

also I'll be on a ton this week as I'm working from home, Necrosaro, whats your IGN? so I can keep an eye out and try to message you sometime for the echad ring. now that I'm about to level my subjobs (WHM/NIN) one would be extraordinarily helpful

you are spending 1k points for 3 charges. echad is infinite and emperor's band is once a week iirc.

what i like to do with the echad ring is pop it in the morning before work and burn it, then RDP in during work and re-use it, then burn it after work and pop again. usually run through 3-4 echads a day when i'm actively leveling a job, and it makes for nice short session farm moments.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
My echad strategy is to forget I have it and never activate it.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Why does everyone get the emperor ring, when the empress ring gives more total exp? It isn't hard to use all the charges each week.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a UI mod that anyone can link to that adds a mini-map to the game?

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Is there a UI mod that anyone can link to that adds a mini-map to the game?

If you're using Windower go to the plugins tab on the launcher and activate FFXIDB.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lb3 requires 4-1, 4-1 requires stuff, lost access to yoran somehow and am trying to do ROES to get him back but they’re mostly high level in the unity list...lean times for me, dang

Did get me thinking about leveling my subs and unlocking some adv jobs though. How gear dependent is GEO as a support job? They look cool and a good excuse to do the first seekers missions so I can unlock it, and it seems like it shares subjobs with RDM some, so it’s handy with the WHM I need to level and RDM as a subjob?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

lost access to yoran somehow and am trying to do ROES to get him back but they’re mostly high level in the unity list...lean times for me, dang

You basically need to earn 5000 unity accolades in a week (even if they just get lost due to being capped), and if you have a week where that didn't happen, you lose the unity trust at the next weekly reset.

Fastest way - if the scheduling works out - to get your unity trust NPC to love you again, is to go on a murder spree when Gain Experience is the limited-time objective (if you're in the US, that translates to early morning Sunday, late evening Monday, and midafternoon Wednesday). You get 300 accolades per completion, and only have to get 5000 exp per completion.

You also get a shitload of sparks during Gain Experience as well, which if nothing else can be converted to gil via Acheron Shields.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Also if you are like me and everyone else in the world and hate the animation lock (such as from engaging enemies, getting spells cast on you, etc etc etc) then you can turn it off with windower!! Turn on the plugin Ja0 by going to the plugin tab and entering the konami code and it'll appear (as well as a plugin that lets you.... use the AH from anywhere? sketch as gently caress) You can turn it on and off from then on, and live your best life.

This sounds fake but its true

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Vil posted:

You basically need to earn 5000 unity accolades in a week (even if they just get lost due to being capped), and if you have a week where that didn't happen, you lose the unity trust at the next weekly reset.

Fastest way - if the scheduling works out - to get your unity trust NPC to love you again, is to go on a murder spree when Gain Experience is the limited-time objective (if you're in the US, that translates to early morning Sunday, late evening Monday, and midafternoon Wednesday). You get 300 accolades per completion, and only have to get 5000 exp per completion.

You also get a shitload of sparks during Gain Experience as well, which if nothing else can be converted to gil via Acheron Shields.

Dope thanks, it sounds like I’ll be able to get him back eventually, I wasn’t sure how many accolades I needed to earn to get it. Sounds like it’ll probably take a full week though, so ferrous coffin can hopefully pick up some slack

Ed: I spent four hours on LB3 yesterday and only got halfway through. Holy poo poo why is it so complicated, how do I get anywhere in Beaudeax and Castle Oztroja, if I weren’t so determined to get to 99 this would be shaking my resolution

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Male of the Century
Jan 7, 2004

PISH-POSH!

star eater posted:

Also if you are like me and everyone else in the world and hate the animation lock (such as from engaging enemies, getting spells cast on you, etc etc etc) then you can turn it off with windower!! Turn on the plugin Ja0 by going to the plugin tab and entering the konami code and it'll appear (as well as a plugin that lets you.... use the AH from anywhere? sketch as gently caress) You can turn it on and off from then on, and live your best life.

This sounds fake but its true

I recommend all players, new or old, download Tako for just this kind of thing. Ja0 is a itty bitty teeny bit "game breaking" in that the game was designed with your character needing to stop to preform actions, but you're still limited to not being able to cast while moving, and it's a quality of life thing anyways that drastically speeds up the pcae of this slow rear end old game.

It also lets you activate GM flag, which is honestly the most simple thing, but makes the biggest difference. Getting through cities isn't anywhere near the hassle it used to be when AFK players had collision, but its still active on everything else and that's just annoying.

Then obviously there's the speed hack and teleporting which if you want to go for it, but you don't need them. After that first time you do finally break down and give them a shot you'll be hooked and never travel normally again though so that one's up to you. It's just nice to have the choice there if you really want to be a bad kid.