Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PantsBandit posted:

I'm curious, is the MCC anyone's first experience playing the Halo 1 campaign? I've been playing through it and I'm surprised how well it holds up beyond nostalgia.

It'll be my first experience with any Halo ever when I finally boot it up, yeah! I'm looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

StrixNebulosa posted:

It'll be my first experience with any Halo ever when I finally boot it up, yeah! I'm looking forward to it.

Nice! I highly recommend using the classic graphics as the updated visuals sacrifice a ton of the great art-direction.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I'm playing CE for the first time. On Heroic. Currently using the remastered graphics, and I am really struggling with dying between health packs or lack of health packs that's getting me frustrated.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Aardvark Barber posted:

I'm playing CE for the first time. On Heroic. Currently using the remastered graphics, and I am really struggling with dying between health packs or lack of health packs that's getting me frustrated.

I'd start on normal if it's your first time through, Heroic's pretty rough in places, especially solo.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah I'm playing Heroic coop and we're dying a bunch despite both being very familiar with the game. It just doesn't matter because spawns are quick if one person is alive.

If you're looking to chill and shoot some aliens, normal is good. It's still challenging.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Incidentally when it comes out, do not play Halo 2 on Heroic your first time through and save yourself some sanity and never play it on Legendary solo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I'm playing Heroic coop and we're dying a bunch despite both being very familiar with the game. It just doesn't matter because spawns are quick if one person is alive.

If you're looking to chill and shoot some aliens, normal is good. It's still challenging.

co-op effectively drops the difficulty a level. Heroic co-op is like normal solo. Legendary co-op is like heroic solo. Because of the respawning without having to start over thing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

For both Reach and CE we've been using reset from checkpoint if 1 person dies skull. makes the game a lot less mindless

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Man I hope we get Halo 2 soon, it's been forever since I last played it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Man I hope we get Halo 2 soon, it's been forever since I last played it.

It should be like a month or two away tops, based on what they've shown cooking in the pipeline

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

RBA Starblade posted:

Incidentally when it comes out, do not play Halo 2 on Heroic your first time through and save yourself some sanity and never play it on Legendary solo

Didn't the infamous Jackal bullshit get nerfed somewhat?

edit:

also for anyone who doesn't know, please watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKX-aI1TQXM

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 14, 2020

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Halo 2 legendary you are weaker than everything in the sandbox bar a flood infection form. It's more than just the jackals one shotting you that makes it a slog. Also I'm pretty sure enemy elite shields recharge faster than yours (CE was 1/3 your speed and in 3 the brute shields don't recharge at all.) Also your health is tied to vehicle health so even in a tank you can get ganked easily.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Lunethex posted:

edit:

That is a special kind of bullshit, thank you for sharing it :allears:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BisbyWorl posted:

So I was playing around with the sillier skulls in Halo 1.

Turns out a double radius, double knockback Hunter round can send you out of bounds. :v:

Of course, you can't really skip to the end of the segment because you'll miss triggers and the warp won't function otherwise, but still.

The skull that disables a random ui element when you die is loving perfect

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Aardvark Barber posted:

Dont use the remastered graphics, they're awful with an awful direction and a ton of greebles. Halo CE stands up so well in classic form, all the simple lines and straightforward designs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lunethex posted:

edit:

lmao beautiful

I don't know if they ever dialed that back but it was a solid day of misery way back when lmao

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is there really no way to get the truly default controls in CE? Melee on B and all that?

Also something is funky about the button timing. Holding X to pickup guns does nothing and its trial and error on pressing the button to switch weapons or grenade types without it registering two inputs and going right back to what I had before.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Arrath posted:

Is there really no way to get the truly default controls in CE? Melee on B and all that?

Also something is funky about the button timing. Holding X to pickup guns does nothing and its trial and error on pressing the button to switch weapons or grenade types without it registering two inputs and going right back to what I had before.

Make sure you’re on the latest Windows OS update for the weapon thing. I have no idea why that’s a thing that messes with it, but it is.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

All the quarantine gamers are too much for Halo apparently, lag and constantly failing to matchmake all of a sudden

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Make sure you’re on the latest Windows OS update for the weapon thing. I have no idea why that’s a thing that messes with it, but it is.

Well thats dumb but okay. Cheers.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
Anyone having problems with achievements not unlocking for Halo 1? I got through the campaign on Heroic and, even though the achievements were out of order, got all the ones for the individual levels. However now i'm going back and collecting skulls and terminals and the Mythic skull (level 2 Halo, right near the beginning) is just not popping no matter how many times i go grab it

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Yeah achievements are hosed, none popped up until I finished chapter 3 - at which point I got one for chapter 4. Given all their issues though I can ignore this one.

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah achievements are hosed, none popped up until I finished chapter 3 - at which point I got one for chapter 4. Given all their issues though I can ignore this one.

Yeah i got it halfway through the level. I guess my advice is just "Keep playing and maybe it'll happen"

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
I'm down to the last two levels' worth of terminals and skulls, but all of them have triggered as soon as I accessed them. That said, I did get the first 4 skulls and 2 terminals on Xbox, not Steam, so maybe the issue is directly related to the earlier ones. I had 17 achievements pop from having done the legendary playlist as soon as I launched MCC, including the one giving you issues. XBL has also been having issues today so it could also be that.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 15, 2020

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm down to the last two levels' worth of terminals and skulls, but all of them have triggered as soon as I accessed them. That said, I did get the first 4 skulls and 2 terminals on Xbox, not Steam, so maybe the issue is directly related to the earlier ones. I had 17 achievements pop from having done the legendary playlist as soon as I launched MCC, including the one giving you issues. XBL has also been having issues today so it could also be that.

It's probably that. the first 4 levels had weird 'completion' order but after that it seemed fine. In fact when going through the 1st level for the skull and terminal i actually got par time, which actually popped the Truth and Reconciliation par time. I imagine it'll be similar for the remainder

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Odd posted:

Anyone having problems with achievements not unlocking for Halo 1? I got through the campaign on Heroic and, even though the achievements were out of order, got all the ones for the individual levels. However now i'm going back and collecting skulls and terminals and the Mythic skull (level 2 Halo, right near the beginning) is just not popping no matter how many times i go grab it

I've been sweeping up skulls all day today, and it's just in the past few hours that the Steam achievements aren't popping for freshly-collected skulls. Something goofy on the XBL side I think

2-days-later edit: fired up MCC today and the achievement popped immediately. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

spincube fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 18, 2020

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I've been trying to co-op CE but every time I keep getting disconnected while it's loading. I'm still in the party, but I can't actually play. Is this a known issue, or is this just the port being garbage?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I just fired it up and man I'm not feeling it. I quite enjoyed Reach again but running around the Pillar of Autumn the gameplay seemed really old in an unfun way and it looks real old graphically as well.

Maybe it'll get more fun running around the open levels on Halo itself but I am unimpressed so far.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I got the full MCC, just finished the Reach campaign and I'm getting started on the Halo 1 campaign. Instantly switching between Xbox and modern graphics is pretty jarring. Also I'm getting my rear end kicked in multiplayer and I'm sure it's because I suck but also I'm using a mouse and apparently the autoaim is so good it gives you headshots easily, which doesn't seem like the best design choice.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Big development update.

• REACH AUDIO FIXES have been delivered and are currently in test, but won't be in the next public test flight due to "some last-minute showstoppers".
  • Current test flights winding their way through the system towards public access include a new challenge system that allows for game-agnostic challenges and objective tracking across all games, lots of Halo 1 bugfixes, and portions of Halo 2 Anniversary (with Theater mode, even!)
  • Theater, Forge and the Reach "Thorage" update still trundling along, will probably be released after Halo 2?

Here's a screenshot they included of Delta Halo at 120 FOV.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

The Kins posted:

Big development update.

• REACH AUDIO FIXES have been delivered and are currently in test, but won't be in the next public test flight due to "some last-minute showstoppers".
  • Current test flights winding their way through the system towards public access include a new challenge system that allows for game-agnostic challenges and objective tracking across all games, lots of Halo 1 bugfixes, and portions of Halo 2 Anniversary (with Theater mode, even!)
  • Theater, Forge and the Reach "Thorage" update still trundling along, will probably be released after Halo 2?

Here's a screenshot they included of Delta Halo at 120 FOV.

Its been so long but that screenshot is from Halo 2 right? drat it actually looks really good :stare:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Halo 2 is the one that actually got a current generation remake on xbox one so yes it looks the best of all of them.

It's called Halo 2 Anniversary edition.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Is it like the CE anniversary where i can turn off the poo poo new graphics and use the classic good graphics?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SpookyLizard posted:

Is it like the CE anniversary where i can turn off the poo poo new graphics and use the classic good graphics?
Yes. I believe the toggle also switches between classic and redone audio this time around?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Ok so today I dived in and bought the MCC because its $30 and Halo CE is probably my most played game of all time. Literally hundreds of hours of my life lost in coop, LANs, and hell even the PC port multiplayer.

First thing I did was of course dive into 8v8 BTB and the experience is exactly as I remember it, jank and all, and I love it.

I miss when multiplayer games were about just pure chaos. There is no rhyme or reason or organization. There are no "unlocks" or "progression" you dive in and just enjoy the insanity of it. Spawn next to 4 players on the other team? Toss that grenade and enjoy your 3 seconds of life! Full enemy warthog coming at ya? Throw a sticky on it and watch the fireworks.
It took me a moment to get used to Halo's slow-as-molasses movement again, but once I did I actually like it. Every FPS game these days wants your character running at 60mph showing off your slick 360 degree no scope kills and cool wall jumping. None of that poo poo here. Its slower, but you can chuck a nuke of a grenade a mile away while popping off headshots with your OP pistol.

Speak of, snipers were not as infuriating as I remember, probably thanks to the fact the netcode is janky as gently caress. This is a good thing! It actually levels the playing field since everyone is missing half their shots anyway. There is no thinking or stress involved, its just the perfect game to log a few minutes of chaotic, stupid multiplayer and not stressing about the next unlock.

Oh and before I forget...Vehicles. I love how liberal Halo is with them! On blood gulch you had warthogs, tanks, banshees, ect all flying around blowing each other up, crashing into each other, ect. Glorious. These days even Battlefield can barely afford to give each time more than 1 vehicle per map.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vehicles work in Halo because you are never without a way to fight back (barring needle rifle spawns in Reach. gently caress off banshees :argh:), you can plink away at them with the pistol/BR/DMR you spawn with every life, and usually the driver is exposed and in danger as well. That pocket nuke you carry poses a good chance of flipping them over, or you can stick them with plasmas. Got a plasma pistol? Lights out.

Compare it to say battlefield where you generally have to make a sacrifice and spawn as one of the handful of classes that have weapons/gadgets capable of damaging vehicles (and those classes might be limited, if all the slots are taken well tough luck) otherwise you'll just bounce puny bullets off that tank or jet all day while he murders you over and over again.

I always have and will despise sky gods in battlefield, I've never really felt under that same pressure against vehicles in a Halo game.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Replaying the Reach campaign and I’m enjoying it more than I remember. It’s still hard as hell, even on Heroic, but being able to pin point DMR headshots on those Elite bastards with Mouse and Keyboard makes the game way less frustrating.

Also I miss it when Halo was dumb military popsci-fi that had juuusssstt enough lore if you wanted it, but you could ignore it all the same.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Deptfordx posted:

I just fired it up and man I'm not feeling it. I quite enjoyed Reach again but running around the Pillar of Autumn the gameplay seemed really old in an unfun way and it looks real old graphically as well.

Maybe it'll get more fun running around the open levels on Halo itself but I am unimpressed so far.

That's cos its actually kind of poo poo and lazilly designed. It's super apparent in the later half of the game where you're literally backtracking through the exact same map as one of the previous levels.

That being a map where more than half of it is a copy paste of the same room and corridor multiple loving times.

Halo's original campaign was overhyped when it came out and its flaws are even more glaring now. About an hour's worth of set pieces don't make up for 7+ hours of boring world design.

It's kinda ironic that the sound glitches force the music to repeat every 20 seconds or so.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The re-use of levels didn't bother me in the original halo. Some areas are similar, but a lot of them feature pretty decent sized changes in how you approach them or what you're doing that made them more interesting. I never really got the complaint, it's not like you're just running the same level again. I still like the game far better than Reach, bugs and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
It's still a pain in the neck that, in the last part of the game, you're told to go blow up three whatevers; and to do that you need to trek through miles and miles of identical, copy-pasted, symmetrical rooms and tunnels.

Then there's the Library, where all you do is walk from one end of the map to the other while shooting waves of Flood ... I disagre with most of the graphical changes made by the Anniversary update, but having subtle arrow decals on the ground is a blessing as it's still incredibly easy to get turned around in the gigantic open spaces.