Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

did they control for how long they had smoked total? a former smoker who smoked for 30 years is definitely at more risk than a current smoker who has smoked for 6 months, I would think.
the data show that's it's actually the opposite: if you've never smoked even once that's best, but then once you smoke, the more you smoke your risk goes down

the cohort with the highest mortality is people who smoked a cigarette once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

I hope cat food isn't being hoarded.

cat food takes higher priority than my own food imo. could not deal with my kitty cat starving

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Sharps posted:

times like this i look to history for guidance

can you imagine a us news org in 2020 trying to say poo poo companies should be put out of business lmao

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Griefor posted:

I think Trump is hoping to hide a whole bunch of cases by not testing (and the untested deaths by calling them "unspecified pneumonia" or something), but it's very possible the mound under the rug will be too big to hide.

I do think that's the gameplan the more I think about it. The testing will always be behind but close enough that to most Americans it seems like it's working correctly, meanwhile a ton of people will be getting it. With how compartmentalized this country is people in Florida won't know or won't care if 150 people are dying in LA from coronavirus daily, moreso if half of them aren't reported.

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

Mr. Sharps posted:

times like this i look to history for guidance

cornbread goes amazing with beans

even just crumble it on top

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

slave to my cravings posted:

Thanks. We were planning on hospital, but October feels like a lifetime away right now. We have another ultrasound in a two weeks. Hopefully we don’t get sick then. I’m kind of looking forward to food prepping but I also need to make sure my wife can eat what I make lol. She goes through bouts of nausea so sometimes it’s okay and sometimes it’s bad. My cat is relatively stable now but I’m worried about what will happen in the next few weeks. Here is a pic of the lil guy with his brother (sick one on the right):

What beautiful kitties

Well all things considered you seem to have this under control even though your brain is telling you otherwise. If your kitty was in a prescription while they were sick maybe see if the vet will write it for you or something similar for you to have at home in case of a shutdown. I got a full course of antibiotics for my cat because he gets sinus infections

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
You don't get it. They're already past containment.

The plan is for everyone to get it.

Experts are saying this in the middle of a litany of doomsday facts:

Even areas that have done great for enacting social isolation before getting it- what are you going to do? Leave Massachusetts or wherever shut down for 1.5 years waiting for a vaccine to be developed?

Any attempts to repeal social distancing will lead to spread, as the west coast is nuts with the disease and the US is infected as a whole:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

The only solution is for enough people to be immune to the disease that at risk individuals are less likely to get the disease from the general population, which is known as "herd immunity":

https://imgur.com/mh8yvEj.mp4

The UK is ahead of the pack, being open about their plan of working toward herd immunity through contracting the disease directly:

Everyone under 60 just has to get the disease. If you're 0 to ten, you effectively have a 0 percent chance of dying. Everyone else gets to look at their chart and circumstances.

Right now, all we're accomplishing by hiding in our hovels is to give essential workers the opportunity to get the disease first, so we don't clog up hospitals while people make/deliver food are getting sick. Once they've mostly contracted the virus the rest of us are supposed to come out and get sick, slowly enough that we don't overwhelm the existing healthcare system.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hmm, catch a disease on purpose or wait a year while drinking in my fuckshack for a vaccine oh jeez hard choice

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/jrgaillot/status/1238532044554211329?s=20

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
1 day delay in acting can make a huge difference.

https://twitter.com/Atul_Gawande/status/1238619627124654082

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

TimWinter posted:

The UK is ahead of the pack,

lol

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Bronze Fonz posted:

I would hate to be a landlord in a time and place where a shitload of tenants are indefinitely not working, not paying rent and the relevant authorities to deal with that are swamped and/or self-isolating themselves.
If you "make your living" off of being a leech and depending on other people to give you money while you sit around, then I hope

SKULL.GIF posted:

kill landlords

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I work for the Post Office and we're not going to close come hell or high water so I'm already fairly comfortable with the fact that I'm almost certainly going to get it. By the time that I do I doubt that there will be much healthcare available for people as young as I am so it's pretty much going to be me coughing it out for a week.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

i wonder if bojo voters are having second doubts yet "hmm maybe this guy actually is just a moron"

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

TimWinter posted:

You don't get it.

not a single mention of beans

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

TimWinter posted:

Right now, all we're accomplishing by hiding in our hovels is to give essential workers the opportunity to get the disease first, so we don't clog up hospitals while people make/deliver food are getting sick. Once they've mostly contracted the virus the rest of us are supposed to come out and get sick, slowly enough that we don't overwhelm the existing healthcare system.

It is an insane plan, not enough people are going to willingly sacrifice themselves to get sick (even young people can have complications) for everything to work out. People are going to freak out, especially if you command them to get sick and the NHS has no place for them if they get seriously ill.

China managed the infection through lockdowns, and it worked in the space of weeks, now the battle is to quarantine foreign travellers. South Korea has been testing so much they have been able to manage the growth of the disease. The UK is just going to allow the situation to get out of control so neither herd immunity or proper measures are taken into effect and they are going to pay for what is maybe the worst plan out of this mess.

The only solution is to limit all travel from the UK because it is likely to be a continued hotspot.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 14, 2020

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Over Easy posted:

who the gently caress is our juan lebvedev?

where is the Russo-Venezuelan oligarch who will bankroll the people's army in the United States?

everything else in deus ex is true as gently caress, why no juan?

I didn't blink
More importantly where are my loving augs?

That the worst Game of Thrones family.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

CODChimera posted:

i wonder if bojo voters are having second doubts yet "hmm maybe this guy actually is just a moron"

They won't so long as he keeps the bigotry taps wide open.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Streets have been pretty empty in Detroit all day it owns and reminds me of the '90s. Muscles have been tensing up but I can't tell if it's because I've been sitting all day or because Corona-chan is blessing me.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Here in the Netherlands they insist this will only last until March 31st but I don't know what to do. I will be working from home, my gym keeps telling people to keep coming in. I already spend over 100 Euros on groceries that somehow only last for a little over two weeks (I am terrible at cooking without perishables). I dunno what to do, should I double down even though the supermarkets are running out of stuff? I keep wondering "Well if I have problems a lot of people should have, right?"

I'm more worried about losing my job, not working again or the EU collapsing than a pure collapse at this point, tbh. Dunno if that's misguided on my part. The hell do I do?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Okay everyone, now that the just the flu voice has mostly died down, when did you all hear your final IRL "Just the flu"? Mine was tuesday, from an actual MD.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

CODChimera posted:

i dont understand how it is possible that a guy says "yeah whatever get ready to lose your loved ones lol" while he and his buddy advisor, the duke of shitborough, who designed the policy, will get all the icu and ventilation he needs if he gets the virus and people just go "okay :("
like why isnt boris being firebombed what the poo poo

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

AceOfFlames posted:

Here in the Netherlands they insist this will only last until March 31st but I don't know what to do. I will be working from home, my gym keeps telling people to keep coming in. I already spend over 100 Euros on groceries that somehow only last for a little over two weeks (I am terrible at cooking without perishables). I dunno what to do, should I double down even though the supermarkets are running out of stuff? I keep wondering "Well if I have problems a lot of people should have, right?"

I'm more worried about losing my job, not working again or the EU collapsing than a pure collapse at this point, tbh. Dunno if that's misguided on my part. The hell do I do?

Realistically, just accept that you already have it :getin:

also buy more beans

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

cat food takes higher priority than my own food imo. could not deal with my kitty cat starving

I slice off pieces of my own flesh to feed them if I must

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

try to stay calm and rational, buy more supplies when you get the chance, you don't have to go insane and fill the trolley up with TP but an extra bag of rice? sure

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

If your gym is anything like mine it's probably the most wiped-down place you visit already.

Best thing about this virus is that my gym is practically deserted.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm also in the Netherlands and I don't expect the supermarket supply lines to break down. It's been running out because everyone has been stocking up, but if you have two weeks you have at least enough to wait until supermarkets are back to (somewhat) normal. People are not going to buy two weeks worth of food every day, at some point everyone has the level of supplies they want.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Griefor posted:

Okay everyone, now that the just the flu voice has mostly died down, when did you all hear your final IRL "Just the flu"? Mine was tuesday, from an actual MD.

I hear it everyday because my relatives watch Fox news

i first heard that it was just normal flu, then it was a terrorist bioweapon, then it wrapped back to a normal flu?? and they were all saying this so it is definitely fox news ramblings

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
A lot of people let dogs lick their face.

You probably should not.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
As an American it's my right to let a dog lick me wherever and also to not be able to get tested for coronavirus.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Shima Honnou posted:

As an American it's my right to let a dog lick me wherever and also to not be able to get tested for coronavirus.

Good. Great. They may end naming a new illness after you. The Shimahonnou-loulou.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Sedisp posted:

Bold Boris decided it was unfair for the elderly to not have to deal with the consequences of Brexit so he has decided to give them an experience of equal or greater value.

Breathing Exit

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
There's two coronavirus cases at my hospital

Good night sweet goons

Kal
Jun 3, 2007

If 60% gets corona and the mortality rate is 0.02% in the age group 10-40 then 157,000 10-40 year olds will die in the US.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

UnknownTarget posted:

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/diy-homemade-mask-protect-virus-coronavirus/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/

"The tea cloth mask captured 60% of the even smaller, 0.02 – 1 micron particles. Not surprisingly, the surgical mask and N95 mask captured more particles, but the data shows homemade mask was far from useless at capturing virus-sized particles."

The idiots at CDC keep saying masks don't work because moat of the mask factories are in China and the entire country only have 35 million masks in total.

They should just tell people to wear bandana masks, specially inside public transportation.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

cheesetriangles posted:

I hope cat food isn't being hoarded.

there were two bags left when i went to the grocery store today

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I work for the Post Office and we're not going to close come hell or high water so I'm already fairly comfortable with the fact that I'm almost certainly going to get it. By the time that I do I doubt that there will be much healthcare available for people as young as I am so it's pretty much going to be me coughing it out for a week.
Unless you need a ventilator or constant care for some other symptom that has you on death's door there's not a lot to be done at the moment other than to cough it out.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mortons stork posted:

i dont understand how it is possible that a guy says "yeah whatever get ready to lose your loved ones lol" while he and his buddy advisor, the duke of shitborough, who designed the policy, will get all the icu and ventilation he needs if he gets the virus and people just go "okay :("
like why isnt boris being firebombed what the poo poo

trump will probably be enjoying a full week of uninterrupted golf while hundreds of thousands of people die terrible deaths at sometime in the next few months, and it's all completely his fault, and he will still get re elected in november because we live in hell.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

trump will probably be enjoying a full week of uninterrupted golf while hundreds of thousands of people die terrible deaths at sometime in the next few months, and it's all completely his fault, and he will still get re elected in november because we live in hell.

he's creating jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

https://twitter.com/sunny_hundal/status/1238567096180752386?s=20

heh