Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Isn't 60% way too low for herd immunity anyway? I was under the impression that 80% was considered to be an optimistic estimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Cool, cool. So with the emphasis on kinder, gentler politics, everybody will come out and loudly condemn her, right?

Cool, cool. So we're now changing health policy in response to public outcry, not on scientific evidence? (Obviously this is the right decision, but clearly made for the wrong reasons)

The scientific evidence they're following is "Once 40 million people are infected and hundreds of thousands die, we will be immune". There's no guarantee that it'll produce that effect ether since there's been cases of repeat infection.

It's Skynet "Must end war, end war by killing all Humans" insanity. It turns out that appointing people based on politics and posh cunts failing upwards has produced a layer of absolute sociopaths at the top end of the poo poo trifle.

It's terrifying. Actually terrifying. I had all the lymph nodes on the left hand side of me cut out to fight cancer, which seemed like a good idea at the time. I get an infection and it spreads to the left of me I could die. And so far that's the government's plan.

And the press are all for it! Like actively going "Oh you know better than the Government? I thought we were supposed to listen to experts". Pure smug condescension at the idea that the Tory party might be wrong. They're literally willing to let us all die for the sake of making sure there's never a left wing government.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Soylent Yellow posted:

Isn't 60% way too low for herd immunity anyway? I was under the impression that 80% was considered to be an optimistic estimate.

80+% is the usually accepted number for vaccination work but everyone seems to have settled on 60% for COVID-19 and I have to admit I'm not totally sure why.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/DiEM_25/status/1238750796898017280?s=19

Direct link here: https://euroleaks.diem25.org/leaks/

Explainer by Varoufakis: https://youtu.be/CDah_g3IzyM

If you've read Yanis's 'Adults in the Room' book or know anything about the 2015 Greek crisis and the crushing of Greece by the Troika, the release of these recordings is quite a momentus moment

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The live closed captioning on BBC news just translated "government" into "gunmen", which is apposite albeit disrespectful of all the female murderers in the government

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Saros posted:

80+% is the usually accepted number for vaccination work but everyone seems to have settled on 60% for COVID-19 and I have to admit I'm not totally sure why.

It varies from infection to infection.

Ebola's is something like 35% IIRC.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/devon-cornwall-police-preparing-coronavirus-3948960

quote:

However, of this the current model estimate was that "81 percent of those infected will have minor symptoms. They will be sick for less than a week but will be expected to remain infectious for up to two weeks so will be isolated for that period.

"We have an estimate of 15 percent of those infected who will be described as having moderate symptoms and will be ill with what will feel like the flu.

And there is an estimate model of four percent of those infected who will need hospitalisation.

let's play a fun game called "does the person quoted not understand the model, or does the model ignore the evidence from other countries"

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

Qwertycoatl posted:

With the advice to self-isolate if you get a "continuous cough" does that mean like chain coughing or does it mean an occasional cough that lasts for a few days?

I have no idea and can't help but think the guidance is purposefully vague.

I've had a sore throat for the last couple of days and have woken up with a bit of a tickly cough. It isn't a bad cough, I'm not doubled over coughing for minutes or coughing constantly, but it's still a cough. I feel fine mostly, my nose feels a bit congested (although isn't actually blocked) and definitely don't have anything approaching flu-like symptoms. The 111 website was unhelpful and the guidance is not to call the helpline unless you need medical attention because the lines are rammed. My work says to self isolate if you have a cough and a fever (which I don't have) which is also very unhelpful.

I honestly would rather not self-isolate as my flat is tiny and I think being stuck here would drive me a little crazy. But I don't want to be the arsehole who spreads a potentially deadly virus to vulnerable people for selfish reasons so I'm going to stay indoors today and probably ring 111 tomorrow. I'm sure there are lots of people in the country with similar symptoms who won't make that decision though, because 'continuous cough' is so vague and I think many people would feel like pricks for self-isolating over what could be a small cold.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Wachter posted:

The live closed captioning on BBC news just translated "government" into "gunmen"

ROW, ROW, FIGHT DA POWAH

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably, yes, it depends on how infectious the disease is, given that the point, I think, is to reduce the infectiousness (by removing infectable people) to below 1 spread per case, so that it cannot grow further.

It's like social isolation except it isolates people from other infectable people by making enough people immune.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1238611490921484295

Okay now I'm going to get Covid and go directly to the home counties and just run around mad like it's a game of plague tag.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's a good thing running the NHS even further over capacity for 6 months and then going straight into probably the worst ever winter bed crisis isn't going to have any downsides

also if other countries do manage to contain it and we don't, the UK is literally going to become a pariah

just an enormous leper colony

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Are we not expecting the virus to naturally decline with warmer weather?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even if it does that's only going to defer it until the winter, and it's spreading to the southern hemisphere already.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Not by much.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Oh my loving god how long am I going to have to stay in this flat

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

ThomasPaine posted:

Not really. What we will probably see however is the usual seasonal winter illnesses tapering off, which at least reduce strain on the NHS.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Gonzo McFee posted:

Okay now I'm going to get Covid and go directly to the home counties and just run around mad like it's a game of plague tag.

This isn't a surprise, because the government's strategy is basically to do nothing, which has a limited negative impact on people's lives. If the government were closing schools you'd have more parents complaining that they had to take time off work for childcare and why don't the government just do something because my kid isn't sick. If the government were enforcing quarantines you'd have more people complaining that they need to go to town x and they have to go today and their elderly parents can't even get to the shop and why don't the government just do something etc. etc.

They're taking the path of least resistance which means people are kind of okay with it all (until those numbers jump up and start having a wider affect).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh my loving god how long am I going to have to stay in this flat

Really feeling good that I basically do not leave my room other than to go to work or go for a walk on my own.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Well, I trudged my way into my workplace to find the entire place devoid of customers, and my manager pulled me aside and offered me two weeks off with pay (I have just come off 3 months sick with CFS). Thanks Covid-19 (please do not kill)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Well, I trudged my way into my workplace to find the entire place devoid of customers, and my manager pulled me aside and offered me two weeks off with pay (I have just come off 3 months sick with CFS). Thanks Covid-19 (please do not kill)

Corona-chan taketh with one hand, and giveth with the other.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Soylent Yellow posted:

Not really. What we will probably see however is the usual seasonal winter illnesses tapering off, which at least reduce strain on the NHS.

Look people keep saying this but the flu season was early this year, it's already passed by.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...eek_10_2020.pdf

There are going to be other cold weather issues causing some increased admission but we're back to normal ability levels.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Is it at least relatively safe to go for a walk down the river when it's quiet late on? I'm getting cabin fever like nuts and it's been less than a week

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

mehall posted:

It varies from infection to infection.

Ebola's is something like 35% IIRC.

Yeah the big thing is usually how infectious something is, like measles is just so crazy you have to have high herd immunity. Covid is uh, fairly infectious from all indications which is why I am struggling with the 60% number.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

Is it at least relatively safe to go for a walk down the river when it's quiet late on? I'm getting cabin fever like nuts and it's been less than a week

Yes. Wash your hands when you get back and don't touch your face too much but this is pretty much the most low risk activity imaginable.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

Probably unless you need to take some sort of public transport or walk through previously high pedestrian trafficed areas, it's not like an atmospheric contamination or anything. Just stay a good distance from other people you see, avoid touching surfaces unnecessarily and wash your hands with soap immediately upon returning home.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Well, if over 65s think the government is doing a good job and over 65s are most likely to be the ones heavily affected by it, then I guess by definition they're doing a good job.

Nothing about us without us works even when a social group decides that what they most want to do is die in crowded hospitals surrounded by hoarded toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

Not quite sure why they want that, but different strokes for different folks, hey ho 🤷🏽‍♂️

lmao this loving country

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My brother-in-law works in A&E and is pretty terrified about the governments response. Testing protocols are all over the place - guidelines say to test anyone from Vietnam, even though vietnam has only 60 cases. Says its almost certain medical staff are going to get infected, they're basically sacrifical lambs at this point.

The good news is, A&E was virtually deserted on a friday night, which is unheard of.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Guidelines are no ventilators for patients over 55, when it gets really bad that will drop to 40, grim

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Well, if over 65s think the government is doing a good job and over 65s are most likely to be the ones heavily affected by it, then I guess by definition they're doing a good job.

Nothing about us without us works even when a social group decides that what they most want to do is die in crowded hospitals surrounded by hoarded toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

Not quite sure why they want that, but different strokes for different folks, hey ho 🤷🏽‍♂️

lmao this loving country

What kind of polling is it when you systematically kill off everyone who voted one way until you achieve the result you want?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

clear eyes full farts posted:

Guidelines are no ventilators for patients over 55, when it gets really bad that will drop to 40, grim
Yeah but 78% of them think that's great, got to respect democracy.

e: ^^ Poll Pot

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but 78% of them think that's great, got to respect democracy.

Behind all the madness there's something deeply funny about all of this

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guidelines are no ventilators for patients over 55

Right, that's me and Jaeluni doomed then.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1238775733054472192

"If we got it wrong then we'll have to work really hard to spin it".

Amazing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Aaaaaannd there we go.

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1238776615980711936

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

What you see is what you get
You made your bed you better lie in it
You choose your leaders and place your trust
As their lies wash you down and their promises rust
[Breathing] machines replaced with rockets and guns

And the public wants what the public gets
But I don't get what society wants

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EvilHawk posted:

They're taking the path of least resistance which means people are kind of okay with it all (until those numbers jump up and start having a wider affect).
At some point the entire nation is going to have a moment like that Question Time woman and start crying because they didn’t realise the government would let them die as well

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Is there a source for this?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

TACD posted:

At some point the entire nation is going to have a moment like that Question Time woman and start crying because they didn’t realise the government would let them die as well

This is one of the few genuinely hopeful things about this for me - it's going to be a shitshow but just maybe it'll be a wake-up call

(It won't because Britain is a land of some of the dumbest people to ever walk the Earth)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interesting though that it continues to correlate pretty well with "people who use the internet and thus experience the world outside of the television"