Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'm sorry, I'm dense but I have no clue what this means. Who is the prince of jerusalem

Yea I was a bit buzzed lol. There's a child prince, the son of Eva Green, who later gets leprosy. So Orlando Bloom goes to meet the leper king, steps on the kid's toy with his unwashed shoes, then the child prince gets leprosy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Scaramouche posted:

It's funny how quickly Stallone loses the thread for both Rocky and Rambo to turn them into cash grabs instead of movies that try to say something. I'm almost curious what he'd do with a demolition man sequel now.

Man, you aint making GBS threads. Rocky is one of my favorite movies but the sequels just keep getting goofier and worse. The two Creed movies were really great though.

Contribute: In Do the Right Thing, in a bit of foreshadowing that you only notice on a re-watch, very early on in the film Sal is frustrated with something or other and says "I swear I'm gonna kill somebody today". He indirectly gets Radio Rahim killed.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, you aint making GBS threads. Rocky is one of my favorite movies but the sequels just keep getting goofier and worse. The two Creed movies were really great though.

Rocky Balboa was a great movie and how dare you claim otherwise. Cowards do that and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT

(I also like Rocky 2,3 and 4. Could have done without 5 though)

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
What's the one with the robot?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ferrule posted:

What's the one with the robot?

Rocky 4, where he wins the Cold War by letting himself get punched in the head over and over again.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Look the message of that film was subtle but it ended up being "Russia bad". A powerful concept that I think we can agree is as relevant today as it was then.

e; also "Russia cheating with drugs"

e; e; "and still losing"

NtotheTC has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Mar 11, 2020

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
e; e; e; Paulie had a sex robot

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

NtotheTC posted:

Look the message of that film was subtle but it ended up being "Russia bad". A powerful concept that I think we can agree is as relevant today as it was then.

e; also "Russia cheating with drugs"

e; e; "and still losing"

Nah, the message is "If I can change, and you can change, maybe everyone can change!"

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Creed II would have been great if it revealed that Drago threw the fight in Rocky IV.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

MichiganCubbie posted:

Nah, the message is "If I can change, and you can change, maybe everyone can change!"

A message that the Russians cheer before they're even given the translation.

Also, I didn't mind Rocky V. It was an attempt to get back from the goofiness of IV, but it was too little too late.

CollegeHumor's Rocky IV 30 for 30 is spot-on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyWx1CkMTtI

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Rocky VIII had surprisingly good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iwedkOmTGc

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

NtotheTC posted:

Rocky Balboa was a great movie and how dare you claim otherwise. Cowards do that and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT

(I also like Rocky 2,3 and 4. Could have done without 5 though)

Hell yes. Rocky Balboa was nearly as good as the original. And its messages about getting older, and what that means to a person/their dreams/their past, were perfect. drat, that was a good movie. And they kept the correct ending.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
Maybe not the most subtle moment, but Jurassic Park just has a ton of great little metaphors hiding in plain sight, like John Hammond introducing himself to Grant and Sattler by preemptively celebrating while ignoring that he’s making a huge mess of the real science right outside the door.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

dirksteadfast posted:

Maybe not the most subtle moment, but Jurassic Park just has a ton of great little metaphors hiding in plain sight, like John Hammond introducing himself to Grant and Sattler by preemptively celebrating while ignoring that he’s making a huge mess of the real science right outside the door.

That same Niel has two female ends of the seatbelt on the chopper ride over and then types them together is pretty pointed when you think about it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jestery posted:

That same Niel has two female ends of the seatbelt on the chopper ride over and then types them together is pretty pointed when you think about it

Wew hot metaphorical girl-on-girl action.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've been posting about Phantom of the Paradise all over the board since it loving kicks rear end and I recently watched it again.

The interiors of Swan's headquarters all have undersized doors since the actor playing him (and song writer for the movie), Paul WIlliams is shorter than Prince. He's 5'2". It's a neat little touch in a great movie and I'd never noticed it before.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I re-watched Lego Batman last night. It remains an utterly charming film (and a legit good Batman story), but one thing I really liked was that they cast Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face. Williams was Harvey Dent in the Tim Burton Batman films.

This got me thinking about how loving rad a black Two-Face would be. The duality of "we must work with the system to fix the system" and "gently caress the system, look at how it's treated us" would be a legit fascinating take on the character.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Which is better: Billy Dee Williams as Two-Face in the Lego Batman movie OR Nicolas Cage as Superman in the Teen Titans movie?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yes.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

First Blood would have been a much better movie if Rambo died. It's so obvious that the colonel was supposed to shoot him in the head at the end, everything was leading up to that moment. They even shot the scene where he's shouting about who drew first blood just like the end of old yeller.

Then somebody mentioned that they could probably squeeze out some sequels and all artistic integrity went out the window

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

RandomFerret posted:

First Blood would have been a much better movie if Rambo died. It's so obvious that the colonel was supposed to shoot him in the head at the end, everything was leading up to that moment. They even shot the scene where he's shouting about who drew first blood just like the end of old yeller.

Then somebody mentioned that they could probably squeeze out some sequels and all artistic integrity went out the window

They actually filmed the Trautman Kills Rambo ending, I think it’s a special feature on a DVD/Blu-ray release.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Rascar Capac posted:

They actually filmed the Trautman Kills Rambo ending, I think it’s a special feature on a DVD/Blu-ray release.

Having an ending where the only thing to do to the traumatized Vietnam vet protagonist (who mostly didn’t even kill) is to gun them down like Old Yeller is... problematic at best. I don’t think it was sequelitis at work there, just not wanting a downer ending with a nasty message.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The novelization of Rambo: First Blood Part II, also written by First Blood author David Morrell, has a short author's note in the beginning explaining that this book is specifically a sequel to the movie where Rambo lives, and not the original novel where he dies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Veib posted:

The novelization of Rambo: First Blood Part II, also written by First Blood author David Morrell, has a short author's note in the beginning explaining that this book is specifically a sequel to the movie where Rambo lives, and not the original novel where he dies.

The novel 2001 took place around Saturn and Iapetus, not Jupiter and Europa like in the film. Every subsequent novel changed it to Jupiter to match the film instead.

Part of why the film gets trippy and abstract as it does is because Clarke hadn't finished writing the ending yet!

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

RBA Starblade posted:

The novel 2001 took place around Saturn and Iapetus, not Jupiter and Europa like in the film. Every subsequent novel changed it to Jupiter to match the film instead.

Part of why the film gets trippy and abstract as it does is because Clarke hadn't finished writing the ending yet!

If only Benioff and Weiss had taken notes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Veib posted:

Morrell also novelised Rambo III, and said the same thing there as well.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

MadDogMike posted:

Having an ending where the only thing to do to the traumatized Vietnam vet protagonist (who mostly didn’t even kill) is to gun them down like Old Yeller is... problematic at best. I don’t think it was sequelitis at work there, just not wanting a downer ending with a nasty message.

This is exactly why Stallone wanted to change the ending, if I remember right. They also use the unused ending footage in Rambo, the 4th movie, when he's having nightmares.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Michael Crichton killed Ian Malcolm in the first Jurassic Park book and then brought him back to life for the sequel. I assume it's because of the movie and Goldblum and all but I haven't checked, I just remember being mad about it as a kid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Didn't Malcolm just kind of drift off and wasn't heard from again in the first Jurassic Park? It wasn't like he got ripped in half, so it was probably easier to bring him back compared to Hammond.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

HopperUK posted:

Michael Crichton killed Ian Malcolm in the first Jurassic Park book and then brought him back to life for the sequel. I assume it's because of the movie and Goldblum and all but I haven't checked, I just remember being mad about it as a kid.

He found a way

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Krispy Wafer posted:

Didn't Malcolm just kind of drift off and wasn't heard from again in the first Jurassic Park? It wasn't like he got ripped in half, so it was probably easier to bring him back compared to Hammond.

Hammond had the darkest book death and then movie death after he was portrayed by Peter Stormare somehow.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Hammond had the darkest book death and then movie death after he was portrayed by Peter Stormare somehowAMAZINGLY.

FTFY. The man has never had a bad role in his life.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

oldpainless posted:

He found a way

More like oldgeneless

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

FTFY. The man has never had a bad role in his life.

He was making a joke about how Hammond's original death in the Jurassic Park novel (procompsognathus venom = sleepy = swarmed by lil' cuties) was cut/pasted onto Stormare's guy in the sequel. Completely agreed though

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I never noticed that Dr. Strange has a watch collection in the beginning of the movie, and then he quickly masters time magic.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I never read the book but First Blood is a fantastic film. I think having him die at the end would have been too much of a downer but would have spared us the sequels at least.

I know Stallone catches a ton of poo poo but I've always liked him so long he's reigned in and grounded. Creed, 1 & 2 Copland, Rocky, First Blood, Victory, Nighthawks...even The Lords of Flatbush...he's perfectly fine and often really good. Trouble starts when he goes full Schwarzenegger and Chuck Norris and poo poo.

I mean granted, he's somewhat limited as an actor but he's hardly terrible except when he's dialed up or cast outside his range (like a comedy).

I don't know if it's "subtle" or not but in FIrst Blood, Rambo's body count is exactly ONE.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beachcomber posted:

I never noticed that Dr. Strange has a watch collection in the beginning of the movie, and then he quickly masters time magic.

I grew up pretty poor but seeing that specialized, mechanized watch drawer was the first time I ever felt poor.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I grew up pretty poor but seeing that specialized, mechanized watch drawer was the first time I ever felt poor.

Does it help if you know it's being used wrong? If those are self-winding watches, they basically have a pendulum that you spin while you wear it. But if you have the face of the watch parallel to the ground, spinning them that way doesn't do anything to the pendulum.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

TIL what that drawer was for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

IUG posted:

Does it help if you know it's being used wrong? If those are self-winding watches, they basically have a pendulum that you spin while you wear it. But if you have the face of the watch parallel to the ground, spinning them that way doesn't do anything to the pendulum.

Not a mistake but an intentional subtle nod to the fact that Dr Strange is time illiterate at the beginning of the film.