Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Divinity Original Sin 2: While I do like that the scaling means you don't have to kill every foe or pick up every treasure, because the Gear and XP in the next chapter will outclass it tenfold, it does mean every item you pick up quickly becomes obsolete every two levels.

I wish there was some kind of smithing-system that let you break down old gear into parts, and use these parts to level up your favorite gear. Maybe you could break down a burning axe into a fire gem, and use that gem to make a burning spear.

The Pillars of Eternity games are way better at this loot business. You can hoover crap up because there's no encumbrance, and you can tell immediately the value of a piece of gear is without looking at any text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

A weird thing about Black Flag and Rogue is that in both of the games you don't actually join the respective group until the very end of the story. Like Shay quits the Assassins super early in the story but doesn't officially become a Templar until rather late in the story.

Can't remember who it was, but someone on here said that Edward Kenway was the easiest AC protagonist to sympathise with because, like the player, he spends most of the game trying to have cool pirate adventures while getting the Assassins to leave him alone.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

And then his working with the Assassins gets him killed in his early forties.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
In Arkham Knight, having the Batmobile's accelerator on the right trigger while not having the brake on the left trigger is criminal. I keep slowly falling off things because I'm holding the left trigger to brake like in every other open world game with cars ever and take a second to wonder why I'm not stopping.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The garden level in Medievil 2 starts with a medium-length cutscene and it's unskippable, and I died so I have to sit through it again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

And then his working with the Assassins gets him killed in his early forties.

That's pretty good for a pirate, to be fair.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

Man that whole mountain climb section is so fuckin stupid. I dearly love Dead Space 3 but that part is like sitcom levels of comical misunderstanding. Isaac could resolve everything by just saying Norton sold them out to the baddie but he just won't say it and he lets Ellie go on believing they just duked it out due to jealousy and it is so frustratinnngggg.

you shoulda used Stasis, cjakes

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are the worst examples of remakes and remasters? Where the new version is like when Mr Bean renovated Whistler's Mother?

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

didn't Warcraft 3 accomplish the unprecedented feat of actually loving up the original game with a bad remaster?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Maybe blasphemy, but I didn't really like the Ducktales remaster. It looked awesome, but that just made the extremely limited NES gameplay and controls stand out. I could accept the original fine, but the update felt like it needed some mechanical upgrade too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It would have been better if the cut-scenes were optional, and it had a more modern checkpoint and control scheme.

At least the moon theme rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHEifuLCSIY

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

didn't Warcraft 3 accomplish the unprecedented feat of actually loving up the original game with a bad remaster?

Yup! The original is no longer available unless you have discs, and even then you have to use an old enough patch that it won't automatically update you to the new version, which means you can't use B.net anymore.

Which isn't a huge deal, because the new client removed features that had been around for decades, is prone to insane amounts of desynching and broke a bunch of custom maps, so it's not like there's much reason to use it.

It's a drat shame, I've had Warcraft 3 on every computer I've owned for nearly two decades and would check out the custom map scene a couple times a year... but now I uninstalled it because the new client is 30 GB and gently caress wasting that space.

vvv Oh yeah, completely forgot about that part. Reforged was a shitshow on every level.

Big Mad Drongo has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Mar 13, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Yup. Whoever runs Blizzard was clearly salty af that things like auto-chess and Dota grew out of WC3 but couldn't get monetized, so they forced all users of vanilla WC3 to agree to new terms and have functionally crippled the ability for moders to create anything that Activision-Blizzard doesn't own outright.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

What are the worst examples of remakes and remasters? Where the new version is like when Mr Bean renovated Whistler's Mother?

HD versions of MGS3 removed the nightmare mini game so now it’s basically unplayable.

The Silent Hill HD collection was garbage through and through.

Okami Wii somehow looked and played worse than the original, and also refused to acknowledge Clover’s existence.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

the silent hill 2 + 3 remasters were loving terrible and ruined the visuals of a pair of games where the visuals are massively important

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The remaster of AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations released as The Ezio Trilogy had screwed up lighting and looked terrible. Same thing with the first two Arkham games remastered on current gen.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I still can’t believe the Spyro remaster was as good as it was, even if the game sometimes refused to pick up gems forcing annoying backtracking at times.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I think it's fine now, but I remember hearing that the Master Chief Collection had serious issues at launch.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

The remaster of AC2/Brotherhood/Revelations released as The Ezio Trilogy had screwed up lighting and looked terrible. Same thing with the first two Arkham games remastered on current gen.

The Arkham remasters look fine in game, even better than the originals at a lot of points, but they really messed up by not re-rendering the cutscenes.

The original engine compared to UE4 doesn’t seem like a huge change on paper, but when you do jump cuts from one to the other...it’s not so great.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I think it's fine now, but I remember hearing that the Master Chief Collection had serious issues at launch.

It always kept crashing on me no matter what I tried (starting it, restarting it)

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

More like oldcrashless.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Yup! The original is no longer available unless you have discs, and even then you have to use an old enough patch that it won't automatically update you to the new version, which means you can't use B.net anymore.

Which isn't a huge deal, because the new client removed features that had been around for decades, is prone to insane amounts of desynching and broke a bunch of custom maps, so it's not like there's much reason to use it.

It's a drat shame, I've had Warcraft 3 on every computer I've owned for nearly two decades and would check out the custom map scene a couple times a year... but now I uninstalled it because the new client is 30 GB and gently caress wasting that space.

vvv Oh yeah, completely forgot about that part. Reforged was a shitshow on every level.

They also locked settings within the original behind purchasing Reforged.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ah, that sucks, that's the one I bought to get caught up on the series.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

They made remasters for Bioshock 1 and 2 that were riddled with game-crashing bugs on launch and somehow they made the water effects look worse than in the originals. Don't think they ever bothered to fix it either.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Okami on switch is the best edition of the game though

:)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

Okami on switch is the best edition of the game though

:)

There's some people real mad that anything after the PS2 version cut out the Clover logo from a scene in the game

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

More like oldcrashless.

I think you'll find this is the opposite of true based upon his post. Gosh!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like Uninspector Gesicht

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

SkeletonHero posted:

Okami Wii somehow looked and played worse than the original, and also refused to acknowledge Clover’s existence.

And had an IGN watermark on the cover art.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

There's some people real mad that anything after the PS2 version cut out the Clover logo from a scene in the game

There's a lot of things people were mad about that got cut. Like the minigames on the loading screens (partially because of a trademark, partially because modern consoles don't really load long enough), the visual filter was removed for several ports, there's a pointless little side quest that lets you leave a stamp on the ending credits (the same thing that had the clover mark in the end IIRC) got removed. It's almost entirely small details that didn't really impact the gameplay, but just hit the bits of the game that drew people in most and felt really needless to take away.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Medievil 2 has one major problem in the gimmick fight, Dankenstein v Iron Slugger. That problem isn't in the gameplay, but in the manual. It's completely wrong. It gets the L and R commands switched, so without reading the book in game that tells you the controls I wouldn't have been able to beat it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BioEnchanted posted:

Medievil 2 has one major problem in the gimmick fight, Dankenstein v Iron Slugger. That problem isn't in the gameplay, but in the manual. It's completely wrong. It gets the L and R commands switched, so without reading the book in game that tells you the controls I wouldn't have been able to beat it.

Actually, this comes close to a topic I've been considering starting a project about :

Have people here come across any noteworthily bad tutorials in games? Either far too demanding like Driver's, outright incorrect like FFVII's Scorpion Tank, or otherwise just detrimental to the whole experience?

The one that always stands out to me is Injustice, both 1 and 2 (so I suspect it's true of Mortal Kombat as well). Their basic, 'here's how this game works' tutorial is really particular about timing, while not actually giving you any feedback if you fail; you can be doing things entirely correctly as far as you can tell, and be failing because the combo it gave you to do thinks you were a few frames too slow.

The fact that it's demanding actual combos is also unfair for a tutorial about base mechanics. It sounds like the right idea, since a fighting game is all about combos, but the problem is it only teaches you Batman combos. The really demanding inputs require you to master those combos, but they're combos that only Batman can do, so it's not a transferable lesson. They haven't effectively taught you how to play the game, they've taught you how to play this one character.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cleretic posted:

Actually, this comes close to a topic I've been considering starting a project about :

Have people here come across any noteworthily bad tutorials in games?

Recettear teaches you to set the prices high. In reality you want to avoid any situation where the customer tries to haggle, because it breaks your combo and makes leveling up extremely slow.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

Have people here come across any noteworthily bad tutorials in games? Either far too demanding like Driver's, outright incorrect like FFVII's Scorpion Tank, or otherwise just detrimental to the whole experience?

The one that always stands out to me is Injustice, both 1 and 2 (so I suspect it's true of Mortal Kombat as well). Their basic, 'here's how this game works' tutorial is really particular about timing, while not actually giving you any feedback if you fail; you can be doing things entirely correctly as far as you can tell, and be failing because the combo it gave you to do thinks you were a few frames too slow.

The fact that it's demanding actual combos is also unfair for a tutorial about base mechanics. It sounds like the right idea, since a fighting game is all about combos, but the problem is it only teaches you Batman combos. The really demanding inputs require you to master those combos, but they're combos that only Batman can do, so it's not a transferable lesson. They haven't effectively taught you how to play the game, they've taught you how to play this one character.

Does being terminally dumb count? Because the Neir fishing tutorial quest broke that one reviewers brain because he didn't follow the big red x that he'd been following

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Shenmue 3 just tells you to button mash in combat which is a garbage idea since you actually want to use specific moves.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The explanation of the PC controls in Sonic 4 Ep 2 is pretty loving useless:

I mean, I know it's Sonic and not Flight Simulator, but still.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Pheonix Point’s tutorial was pretty bad. It was both clunky and the text was badly worded in that “instantly slid out of my brain” way. The rest of the game sucked pretty hard in the same way, so at least it was on brand.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

I feel like 95+% of strategy game tutorials are just awful. The very worst will only explain what all of the buttons do and how to move units or w/e and nothing else. The slightly better will try to train the player on basic gameplay loops and rhythms. But they basically all fail at communicating the fundamental underpinnings of the game beyond broad strokes (for instance just stating the 4 Xes is not useful). Which leads to beginners needing to tinker and experiment with complicated mechanics in a genre where choices made in the first hour can have ramifications several hours down the line. :goleft: Said game length also often leads to awkwardly decompressed tutorials, where each step is split up by several, possibly even double digit numbers of turns or open-ended tutorial objectives that leave a player hanging without further guidance.

I know a part of it is that the devs can't predict the true metagame in advance, but there's always some kind of baseline intended method of play and it's basically never actually described, only gleaned from individual snippets of information.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Mar 14, 2020

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Cleretic posted:

I wanted to like injustice but i hated the controls,i really liked the characters but it was so sluggish.
Never played Injustice 2 did they make it more responsive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does tutorials not including things count? Because Resident Evil 6 doesnt bother to teach you a whole bunch of stuff about how its melee combat mechanics work which did not help the game at all.

Alternately, basically no-one read FFXIII's tutorials even when it said extremely important things that people will regularly complain about or the ATB refresh mechanic which is crucial to feeling comfortable with the combat system.