Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://youtu.be/wZ9J-dxEgY4

Can we just pin this to the OP please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

clear eyes full farts posted:

Guidelines are no ventilators for patients over 55, when it gets really bad that will drop to 40, grim

source?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1238775733054472192

"If we got it wrong then we'll have to work really hard to spin it".

Amazing.

Just running the CFRs from South Korea, Italy and China through our population by age with 60% infection generates a death toll of between 400,000 and 800,000 (heavily slanted to the over 60s). That's super crude calculation where every age gets infected the same amount but the government are actually going to have to do massive intervention to protect the elderly or we're absolutely going to sky rocket over 100,000.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

clear eyes full farts posted:

Guidelines are no ventilators for patients over 55, when it gets really bad that will drop to 40, grim

Where are you hearing that?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Saros posted:

80+% is the usually accepted number for vaccination work but everyone seems to have settled on 60% for COVID-19 and I have to admit I'm not totally sure why.

70% is the optimistic end based on Covid's r0 of 3 something (though changing as data comes in), but i'm not sure how that calculation is derived.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If the government is really going to kill off huge swathes of the elderly population and the elderly are happy about it then I just don't know what to think. Dying from a virus to spite millenials and their avocados I guess.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh my loving god how long am I going to have to stay in this flat

its not very funny, but i have to say its a bit funny seeing people go

"wait its resistant to heat?"

"wait acquired immunity isnt certain?"

"wait there's already multiple strains?"

as all these things shoot holes in our "risky" italy speedrun

10% mortality run, no items, no beds

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If the government is really going to kill off huge swathes of the elderly population and the elderly are happy about it then I just don't know what to think. Dying from a virus to spite millenials and their avocados I guess.

Imagine going your entire life being wrong about everything but somehow surviving by blind luck right up until it kills you.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

just feel bad for the elderly people that don't lust for their own death, I suppose

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I now want a version of Prison Architect where it's Hospital Architect and it's in the middle of an epidemic. Ever increasing numbers of patients arriving and you have to install beds in corridors, supply closets, or out on the goddamn pavement

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
looking forward to the articles about how selfish millennials are trying to avoid catching the coronavirus and ruining the herd immunity plan for the old people :qq:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Communist Thoughts posted:

its not very funny, but i have to say its a bit funny seeing people go

"wait its resistant to heat?"

"wait acquired immunity isnt certain?"

"wait there's already multiple strains?"

as all these things shoot holes in our "risky" italy speedrun

10% mortality run, no items, no beds

Resistant to heat is overstating things. It's not like this is prion levels of stability, here. Acquired immunity is almost certainly a thing; experts are saying that the positive results of previously infected people are likely a result of errors in testing and not an actual second infection. The "multiple strains" thing is overblown; while you'll get genetic drift over time, it's not like we have ten different strains that would each require a separate vaccine; it simply does not mutate that quickly.

Note: i'm not suggesting that there is no cause for concern, here, just that there isn't a lot of cause for concern over these specific things. The strain on the health system is obviously the biggest issue.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Interesting though that it continues to correlate pretty well with "people who use the internet and thus experience the world outside of the television"

Traditional Press are all falling in line behind the Government's plan to let 60% of the population get infected and all the talking heads are laughing and guffawing at the idea that the government could be wrong or choosing a sociopathic option. So the people who rely on traditional media are falling in line.

Once the reality hits and that the elderly home owners are included in the 60% and it's not just getting everyone under 65 sick and protecting them they'll soon change their tune/never change their tune because the Media told them not to.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Who's going to buy the Express in 6 months' time? They'll have to take the final print run and use it to kindle the fires in the trenches full of their former readership

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Does anyone have any official source for the government's current modelling on percentage of non-hospitalised / hospitalised / critical cases?

The only reporting I can find says they assume 81% mild (few symptoms), 15% flu-like symptoms, 4% hospitalised, and I can't tell where they're sourced from

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I now want a version of Prison Architect where it's Hospital Architect and it's in the middle of an epidemic. Ever increasing numbers of patients arriving and you have to install beds in corridors, supply closets, or out on the goddamn pavement

I'd quite like to play a deadly serious hospital management sim like this tbh

Theme Hospital was great but just not miserable enough for me

CGI Stardust posted:

Does anyone have any official source for the government's current modelling on percentage of non-hospitalised / hospitalised / critical cases?

The only reporting I can find says they assume 81% mild (few symptoms), 15% flu-like symptoms, 4% hospitalised, and I can't tell where they're sourced from

I'm guessing they're just guesstimating based on the percentages in China/Italy/Elsewhere

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm guessing they're just guesstimating based on the percentages in China/Italy/Elsewhere

Mortality rate in Italy is something like 6% though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Resistant to heat is overstating things. It's not like this is prion levels of stability, here. Acquired immunity is almost certainly a thing; experts are saying that the positive results of previously infected people are likely a result of errors in testing and not an actual second infection. The "multiple strains" thing is overblown; while you'll get genetic drift over time, it's not like we have ten different strains that would each require a separate vaccine; it simply does not mutate that quickly.

Note: i'm not suggesting that there is no cause for concern, here, just that there isn't a lot of cause for concern over these specific things. The strain on the health system is obviously the biggest issue.

yes definitely agree the collapsing NHS is the main threat not the virus itself.

it is a resilient little poo poo though compared to its peers and while the mutations so far hopefully dont require new immunity it doesn't really bode too well for the herd immunity problem if we're already seeing potentially siginificant differences in infectivity between strains, as is theorised to be the case

i always liked studying virus stuff so i hope it doesn't kill my family cause otherwise its an interesting little fucker

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because Italy is finding out that people have it when they turn up at the hospital.

South Korea is probably the best model for how the infection actually exists in the population because they're doing the most aggressive testing.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

ThomasPaine posted:

The actual number used for each percentage looks in the right ballpark (80/15/5), but in China/Italy it's 80% with anything up to influenza symptoms and non-hospitalised pneumonia, 15% hospitalised and needing oxygen, and 5% critical

So, uh, I very much hope they have some different source and haven't hosed the modelling

(ed: or it's being reported badly. that would also be better!)

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 14, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Mortality rate in Italy is something like 6% though.

7.1% now

but thats only cause their healthcare system collapsed

NHS strang

(they have 2x our ICU beds per capita and its in the richest region of italy lol)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
What the gently caress are viruses anyway, when you think about it

I get bacteria. They make sense. Viruses though? Weird.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
okay so things in reality are bad but have you considered this vital piece of important good news, that last night i had a nice dream where I met Boris Johnson at a party and got to call him a loving rear end in a top hat, so that's nice. I assume Morpheus, King Of Dreams, Prince Of Stories has a guy whose full-time job it is to be Boris Johnson and have everyone yell at him. seems like a good gig

OwlFancier posted:

What kind of polling is it when you systematically kill off everyone who voted one way until you achieve the result you want?

on the one hand, the disabled will be affected, so that's key labour demographics right there, but on the other hand it'll do a number on the olds so really they're being very bipartisan and centrist in their disregard for human life. very decorous

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

ThomasPaine posted:

Two point is the happy clappy spiritual successor to Theme Hospital. If you want the grim and gritty everyone dies simulator, that'd be https://store.steampowered.com/app/868360/Project_Hospital/

Wonder how long before someone makes a plague ward mod for it.

E:

OwlFancier posted:

Because Italy is finding out that people have it when they turn up at the hospital.

Yeah, over here we have a clear and defined plan of ... only testing people after they've been admitted to hospital. poo poo.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Mar 14, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

happy little zombies that wanna make babies with you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

A miserable little pile of secrets.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Look into Project Hospital, might be what you're after.

It's super-realistic (as any such management sim can be, anyway) and has some really neat ideas. Not overwhelmed by the graphics to be honest, but it is genuinely pretty impressive a game.

Super steep learning curve though. I spent 2 hours on it last year before realising I'm going to need to have a whole chunk of time to spend on it.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"Water, fire, air and dirt. loving viruses, how do they work? And I don't wanna talk to a scientist. Y'all motherfuckers lying, and getting me pissed." - Dominic Cummings

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

happy little zombies that wanna make babies with you

but they're not even really alive!! or are they?? nobody knows!

Look into Project Hospital, might be what you're after.

It's super-realistic (as any such management sim can be, anyway) and has some really neat ideas. Not overwhelmed by the graphics to be honest, but it is genuinely pretty impressive a game.

Super steep learning curve though. I spent 2 hours on it last year before realising I'm going to need to have a whole chunk of time to spend on it.

Ah cool, I guess right now we do all have a big surplus of time!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

yes definitely agree the collapsing NHS is the main threat not the virus itself.

it is a resilient little poo poo though compared to its peers and while the mutations so far hopefully dont require new immunity it doesn't really bode too well for the herd immunity problem if we're already seeing potentially siginificant differences in infectivity between strains, as is theorised to be the case

i always liked studying virus stuff so i hope it doesn't kill my family cause otherwise its an interesting little fucker

We aren't already seeing potentially significant differences, though. People are misreading our ability to very precisely read genetic changes these days and interpreting that to mean we're seeing wild mutations. 80% of this thing is identical to SARS; these just don't mutate as quickly or as efficiently as flu. Again, that's not to say it can't happen, just that it's not happening as quickly as people are writing about.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Isomermaid posted:

Where are you hearing that?

A frontline healthcare worker

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Someone in the COVID-19 thread described viruses as 'predatory chemistry', which seems about right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Editor of the Lancet has started tweeting again.

https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1238799404540272640?s=21

https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1238801172212957184?s=21

https://twitter.com/richardhorton1/status/1238802410405011457?s=21

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT March 2020 - The govt has underestimated the public’s capacity to understand and act.

ThomasPaine posted:

Conway's Game of gently caress Life

Darth Walrus posted:

Someone in the COVID-19 thread described viruses as 'predatory chemistry', which seems about right.
Also this.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's two months away but Meltdown May is going to be even more dramatic that last years.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

mediaphage posted:

We aren't already seeing potentially significant differences, though. People are misreading our ability to very precisely read genetic changes these days and interpreting that to mean we're seeing wild mutations. 80% of this thing is identical to SARS; these just don't mutate as quickly or as efficiently as flu. Again, that's not to say it can't happen, just that it's not happening as quickly as people are writing about.

https://academic.oup.com/nsr/advance-article/doi/10.1093/nsr/nwaa036/5775463

quote:

. Although we found only 4% variability in genomic nucleotides between SARS-CoV-2 and a bat SARS-related coronavirus (SARSr-CoV; RaTG13), the difference at neutral sites was 17%, suggesting the divergence between the two viruses is much larger than previously estimated. Our results suggest that the development of new variations in functional sites in the receptor-binding domain (RBD) of the spike seen in SARS-CoV-2 and viruses from pangolin SARSr-CoVs are likely caused by mutations and natural selection besides recombination.

Whereas the L type was more prevalent in the early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan, the frequency of the L type decreased after early January 2020. Human intervention may have placed more severe selective pressure on the L type, which might be more aggressive and spread more quickly. On the other hand, the S type, which is evolutionarily older and less aggressive, might have increased in relative frequency due to relatively weaker selective pressure.

Not really arguing here, just there does seem to be evidence of divergence. presumably a vaccine or secondary immunity would still resist both.
there was also some more recent stories about a mutation in the spikes in the italian covid but i dunno if that refers to the same L strain or whatever

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Has anyone posted this yet ITT? I've seen a lot of "show your working" posts, but it looks like they've attempted to do that here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-action-plan/coronavirus-action-plan-a-guide-to-what-you-can-expect-across-the-uk

Including setting out the various responsibilities and which agencies are doing what.

I haven't read any of it, but there are a lot of links to papers at the bottom in this section, including to what look like recent Chinese studies.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

thats a nice way of putting it

but imo they're basically alive, its like species where we just make up an arbitrary delineation between things that doesnt exist in nature for the purpose of categorisation then argue with ourselves about it as if its a fundamental law

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Prince John posted:

Has anyone posted this yet ITT? I've seen a lot of "show your working" posts, but it looks like they've attempted to do that here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-action-plan/coronavirus-action-plan-a-guide-to-what-you-can-expect-across-the-uk

Including setting out the various responsibilities and which agencies are doing what.

I haven't read any of it, but there are a lot of links to papers at the bottom in this section, including to what look like recent Chinese studies.

That's the older general plan which seemed like it was much closer to other countries approaches, it's not the herd immunity strategy that they've moved onto. The moving parts will be the same but it's not a justification for why they're doing what they're doing now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

namesake posted:

That's the older general plan which seemed like it was much closer to other countries approaches, it's not the herd immunity strategy that they've moved onto. The moving parts will be the same but it's not a justification for why they're doing what they're doing now.

Ah, thanks for the clarification!