Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm pretty sure my mother just wanted grandma to die at that age too, sitting at their bedside in the nursing home listening to senile incoherent racist rants takes its toll after a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

My wife still wants to bring our feverish, sneezing toddler to her grandmother's 95th birthday party today. I made the argument that it would be a bad idea when we weren't in a pandemic but soon came to realize that she probably lusts for old lady death.

"Where there's a will, there's a way"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Got a friend who insists all the panic is media driven, that it's still all overblown, that the 24 hour news cycle is to blame because measures were put in place no need to report.

"Yeah, but those measures didn't work"

Silence. It's ridiculous how much people are clinging to the "this is absolutely nothing special" mindset. It isn't the end of the world but it certainly isn't loving good.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

red onion supremacy

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

For anyone still needing toilet paper, my boyfriend said that there's LOADS at Home Depot. I didn't even know they sold toilet paper, so that's probably why it's all still there.

Also, I came in to work with a fancy new laptop and headset chilling at my desk. I'll have to wait until Monday to talk with my supervisor about how I'm going to get my calls routed to me (I work in a glorified call center), but I figure I'll be working from home starting sometime next week. And I have the entire building's floor to myself this weekend so hopefully I won't catch the Roni if I don't already have it (lol).

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Soysaucebeast posted:

For anyone still needing toilet paper, my boyfriend said that there's LOADS at Home Depot. I didn't even know they sold toilet paper, so that's probably why it's all still there.

Also, I came in to work with a fancy new laptop and headset chilling at my desk. I'll have to wait until Monday to talk with my supervisor about how I'm going to get my calls routed to me (I work in a glorified call center), but I figure I'll be working from home starting sometime next week. And I have the entire building's floor to myself this weekend so hopefully I won't catch the Roni if I don't already have it (lol).

Home Depot also has a shitload of household cleaning supplies.

e: Also Staples

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

ilmucche posted:

Got a friend who insists all the panic is media driven, that it's still all overblown, that the 24 hour news cycle is to blame because measures were put in place no need to report.

"Yeah, but those measures didn't work"

Silence. It's ridiculous how much people are clinging to the "this is absolutely nothing special" mindset. It isn't the end of the world but it certainly isn't loving good.

As I far as I know it's not the media ordering all restaurants and bars closed in my country , all sports and cultural events canceled, all hospital visits forbidden unless it's for a treatment or emergency, all schools closed and all shops closed on weekends.

Those people just enjoy being contrarian for the sake of it. It is not worth debating them

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
ACHOO‼️🤧🤧What was that⁉️⁉️😏😏Uh-oh 😯 looks like you just got 👀👀 corona virus 😤😜😜

Don’t you know Coronavirus 🦠 🦠 is CUMMING 💦 to America 🇺🇸⁉️🤢🤕🤒🤤 The world 🌍 HOE Organization 🙈👅 is calling HOE-VID19 🗓 a POTENTIAL PANTIE-DEMIC 👄👌👈

No more touching daddy 😩😩 🧓🏼 until you wash 🧽🧽your dirty 🐾nasty 🤢 little 🤞🏼fingers ✋🏻🤚🏻✋🏻🤚🏻for 6️⃣9️⃣ seconds with sHOEp 🧼 and water 💧 👅 otherwise it doesn’t count 🤡🤡🤡

Time to stop 🛑 spreading the germs 🤮🥴🤒and start spreading 😧your legs🤤🦶🏽🦵🏻because everyone 👩‍🦰👨‍🏫🦹🏾‍♂️🧜🏼‍♂️is TWERKING 😈😈from home 🏡

SEND THIS TO 1️⃣0️⃣ other coronavirus cucks 👉🏾👌🏻otherwise the coronavirus🙀🙀 is cumming for you 🍆🍑🍆

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
eBay and now Amazon (finally) has cracked down on price gouging, which is illegal in many states during a state of emergency. NYT has an interview with a gouger who drove a UHaul to all the stores to get 20,000 bottles of sanitizer and sold them for 20x the cost on Amazon after stores ran out, and the lack of awareness is amazing on every level.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

quote:

He thought about it more. “I honestly feel like it’s a public service,” he added. “I’m being paid for my public service.”

As for his stockpile, Mr. Colvin said he would now probably try to sell it locally. “If I can make a slight profit, that’s fine,” he said. “But I’m not looking to be in a situation where I make the front page of the news for being that guy who hoarded 20,000 bottles of sanitizer that I’m selling for 20 times what they cost me.”

teardrop fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 14, 2020

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Vashro posted:

Don’t you know Coronavirus 🦠 🦠 is CUMMING 💦 to America 🇺🇸⁉️🤢🤕🤒🤤 The world 🌍 HOE Organization 🙈👅 is calling HOE-VID19 🗓 a POTENTIAL PANTIE-DEMIC 👄👌👈

No more touching daddy 😩😩 🧓🏼 until you wash 🧽🧽your dirty 🐾nasty 🤢 little 🤞🏼fingers ✋🏻🤚🏻✋🏻🤚🏻for 6️⃣9️⃣ seconds with sHOEp 🧼 and water 💧 👅 otherwise it doesn’t count 🤡🤡🤡

Time to stop 🛑 spreading the germs 🤮🥴🤒and start spreading 😧your legs🤤🦶🏽🦵🏻because everyone 👩‍🦰👨‍🏫🦹🏾‍♂️🧜🏼‍♂️is TWERKING 😈😈from home 🏡

SEND THIS TO 1️⃣0️⃣ other coronavirus cucks 👉🏾👌🏻otherwise the coronavirus🙀🙀 is cumming for you 🍆🍑🍆

:trumppop:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Meanwhile over here in Finland bougie motherfuckers are posting videos like this to boast about their hoarding. We need another civil war except this time maybe arm the Reds with more than sticks and pinecones.

https://twitter.com/vuorinen_juha/status/1238725332645154816

(in case someone doesn't speak Finnish: not this guy's video, he is just reposting it, so don't guillotine him personally)

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
We had dinner with my cousin (boomer, pretty much an "all sides are bad", centrist type) and his daughter (millennial, multiple Bernie bumper stickers on her car) daughter last night and they both spent half of the night just asking for stories about the magical land of Ontario with its heavy testing, ventilator stockpile and universal health care. I'm glad to see this has completely killed my cousin's "M4A is baaaaaad" brain worms though!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

teardrop posted:

eBay and now Amazon (finally) has cracked down on price gouging, which is illegal in many states during a state of emergency. NYT has an interview with a gouger who drove a UHaul to all the stores to get 20,000 bottles of sanitizer and sold them for 20x the cost on Amazon after stores ran out, and the lack of awareness is amazing on every level.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/technology/coronavirus-purell-wipes-amazon-sellers.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage

“Amazon said in a statement. “In addition to terminating these third party accounts, we welcome the opportunity to work directly with states attorneys general to prosecute bad actors.”

Let’s hope they follow up on that.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I work at a midsized retail chain, and it's been bonkers for the past couple weeks. Last Thursday we got a couple cartons of hand sanitizer on the weekly truck, it was sold through the next day. That was about the time the "Make your own hand sanitizer" craze was kicking off, so we pulled all the rubbing alcohol off the shelf and stuck it right up front. Sold in a day.

We didn't have too much TP hoarding until this past week. I'm guess the big retailers were out so people started checking other chains. Had a guy go through my checkout line with 6 of the biggest packs of butt wipes. He was talking a bit with me and said something like "Hah hah this sure is silly huh? Well...Best to be prepared I guess." Then the TP hoarders really descended and we were out of everything but the silly little 2-roll packs. Truck comes in Thursday, so we start tossing TP and alcohol aside to be run right up to the front. Boss comes back to grab about 6 cartons of TP, puts it on the shelf, comes back for the rest and when she got back to the shelves what she had just stocked was already gone.

We've heard from customers that pretty much everywhere else in town is empty. I'm not crazy enough to drive across town to see our one Costco. But my county is sandwiched between 2 other counties with confirmed cases so the olds and rednecks are losing their goddamn minds.

I wouldn't be surprised if we already hit whatever our yearly goal is for sales in paper.

It's also a giant mess because we're trying to keep operating with at least 2 callouts a day. Corporate sent out directives basically saying "We have reported cases in the company, so if you're sick just don't come in." No actual policy changes, so I'm sure people following that order will end up written up anyway, that's just how we roll.

No good stories of brawls over TP or Lysol wipes, but we've had more than a few old folks getting super lovely with our cashiers about us being sold out of the stuff.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Enos Shenk posted:

No good stories of brawls over TP or Lysol wipes, but we've had more than a few old folks getting super lovely with our cashiers about us being sold out of the stuff.

how apropos

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Vashro posted:

lol

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Protip: your local small ethnic grocery stores are like kryptonite for the idiots out panic buying right now.

Yes yes this so much!
Chinese markets are best because well, the racism homes in on them right now.
But Halal stores are good bets too, because no suburban white moms are gonna be caught dead in them even during this kind of thing.

This is the cheat code to food getting right now.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Der Shovel posted:

Meanwhile over here in Finland bougie motherfuckers are posting videos like this to boast about their hoarding. We need another civil war except this time maybe arm the Reds with more than sticks and pinecones.

https://twitter.com/vuorinen_juha/status/1238725332645154816

(in case someone doesn't speak Finnish: not this guy's video, he is just reposting it, so don't guillotine him personally)

Pathetically small Finnish kitchen. If these people are bragging about that, they would probably be driven to suicide out of shame if they saw even a typical American household's horde during normal times, let alone now.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I can't wait to see just how much demand the American supply chain can take before it's finally blown out. People are loving retards, buy every grocery store manager right now is probably fist bumping as the hordes arrive to steal every paper product they can find.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I was just at the grocery store, still no TP. I guess I'll just grab paper towels next time. My anus is resilient.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

colas posted:

I was just at the grocery store, still no TP. I guess I'll just grab paper towels next time. My anus is resilient.

Sewer pipes ain't

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

have an anti-flu mask from 1919

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Now is the time to acquire the mysterious “bidet” appliance.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

mike12345 posted:

That ain't oxygen she's breathin

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Yesterday I hit my local vegetable/fruit/spice store. It wasn't packed or nothing, that's not what this is about. What this is about is my bill coming to 6.66 (brussel sprouts, a tomato, walnuts and a clif bar). The lady at the cash was like "uhoh and it's Friday the 13th... this is it for you". So I have a curse.

Also my boss called me to ask if I had enough food, TP and meds, she didn't go overboard stockpiling but she wants to let me know that if I need anything, I can get it. We're not sure how this will affect us but sales have dropped abruptly for us on Wednesday. Our shop is only my boss, a coworker and myself but if we need to close, she says she can spot me some money if need be but I don't think that will be necessary, hopefully. It's going to be interesting to see how this impacts the flower industry.

She was supposed to go on vacation to Costa Rica on Thursday but cancelled the day before. I think that was definitely the right move.

It's nice to know I'm surrounded by some good folks.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Just use a wash cloth and do some laundry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mike12345 posted:

That poo poo looks like the album cover for The Pod.

E:

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
re: anti-inflammatory thing

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1238816018656526336

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

central dogma posted:

Honestly this is creeping up my list of concerns; my apt doesn't have a washer or dryer, and thr local.laundromat is a contagion zone of crazies during normal times.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That poo poo looks like the album cover for The Pod.

E:

Who knew that person would grow up to be Immortan Joe.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

central dogma posted:

Well, if everyone else is going to pretend that toilet paper is the only method of butt cleaning then so am I.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hopes Fall posted:

Honestly this is creeping up my list of concerns; my apt doesn't have a washer or dryer, and thr local.laundromat is a contagion zone of crazies during normal times.

There's lots of other options!

Edit: when your butt absolutely, positively needs to be spotless

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My work just announced it's shutting down and cancelled all special events through to May so after my quarantine is over in 9 days I likely won't have a job to return to for a while anyway :toot:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Going to work. Today is going to be a weird day.

It's kind of perfect that there is a 70 kph wind storm going on right now. Just to make it extra spooky. Why the gently caress not.

I made Cuban style black beans last night and I'm sharing with my coworkers today to show the power of beans in troubling times.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Got an email this morning from the president of my hospital system, noting anyone found taking cavi wipes (the good surface cleaning wipes that kills drat near anything and shouldn't touch skin for 2 minutes after) will be immediately terminated.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

numberoneposter posted:

Going to work. Today is going to be a weird day.

It's kind of perfect that there is a 70 kph wind storm going on right now. Just to make it extra spooky. Why the gently caress not.

I made Cuban style black beans last night and I'm sharing with my coworkers today to show the power of beans in troubling times.

Trying to spread disease, eh?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I have my foodsafe certificate from 2005 :colbert:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm glad my job is mostly remote office work and since I deal with health insurance affairs, I have more than enough work for one person.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Can somebody help me? I'm not sure what is going on and with this COVID19 I am scared. My symptoms are a little sexual frustration combined with lack of motivation; a loss of concentration (I can't concentrate on work); my libido's gone berserk; I'm sweating through my shirt; hyper emotional sensations which seems to be unaffected by location; I can't seem to get to sleep and I don't want anything to eat; Overall I would say I feel a pressure near my heart and a sensation of water soaking into my brain. This is driving me insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rutibex posted:

that means a vaccine is impossible too right?

no, it just means you can't vaccinate once and be good forever

there is a whole spectrum of less-effective vaccines than the one-time MMR vaccine that protects you forever. for example, you're supposed to get re-vaccinated for diphtheria & whooping cough as an adult (tons of people in the US are behind on their adult immunizations because nobody gets whooping cough anymore)

I don't think flu vaccines protect you forever, even against the same strain of flu

if we had a covid-19 vaccine right now it would be really great to have even if it only immunized people for 6 months and was only 80% effective.