Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
the thrill seeking parts of my brain are demanding that I go to the local takeaway every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

I would personally say that it's time to crack each others heads open and feast on the goo inside.

You aren't going to avoid getting coronavirus by getting kuru first.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Spangly A posted:

the thrill seeking parts of my brain are demanding that I go to the local takeaway every day

Do you have any good Chinese takeaways nearby? That's a nice solidarity gesture as well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Go play a vidyas game or something. I'm doing both but you should not follow my example for mental health lol.

I suggest playing a video game, watching youtube AND compulsively refreshing the thread and browsing several other tabs all at once. It's fun.

Online shopping during plague is probably dumb right?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's smart, you want to catch itand be hospitalised relatively soon, not in a month's time when the NHS has collapsed and is being used only for VIPs

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oodles posted:

I had a breakdown a few years ago and was put on antidepressants and beta blockers.

I’d wake up every morning and check Twitter and BBC to see where had been attacked or bombed, and somehow relate myself to that location. It was a bad time, I got out of that habit but I feel myself going back towards it. I feel like I need to know everything. Which isn’t very helpful.

You don't need to know everything, you don't need to know anything, frankly, other than tories are bad and everything they do is bad for you. Wash your hands, avoid people with coughs, if anything you need to know about happens you'll find out whether you want to or not.

thespaceinvader posted:

I suggest playing a video game, watching youtube AND compulsively refreshing the thread and browsing several other tabs all at once. It's fun.

I left out youtube because I didn't want to flex too hard but yes that also works :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What the gently caress is it with people working in vape shops being conspiracy theorists?
It selects for people who are nicotine dependent, which has a correlation (but not causation, it's probably bidirectional or a shared genetic predisposition) with thought disorders. Combine that with early vape magazines having a lot of stuff about what Big Tobacco was getting up to in order to suppress vaping (unsure how much is real, but the tobacco industry has got up to things that make cloak and carpark conspiracies look tame), being an early adopter, and probably being a tech geek, and you have the same broad reasons that the rational skeptics of reddit believe absurd poo poo.

josh04 posted:

I've been finding twitter especially bad
:same:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Marmaduke! posted:

It's smart, you want to catch itand be hospitalised relatively soon, not in a month's time when the NHS has collapsed and is being used only for VIPs

Unfortunately unless you luck out and get like a 2 day incubation period and immediate onset of severe symptoms that ship has sailed
The time to get it was like 2 weeks ago at least

Also staying informed can be helpful, it got me to actually stockpile this time round which I didn't for brexit and I'm glad I did coz we've been self isolating and I still have bumroll to burn

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 14, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Actually just to come back to this and as a small break from the coronavirus stuff, do you think maybe the internet was the best loving thing in the world for ADD?

Cos I had it as a child (presumably still do) and it's so nice to have multiple things to occupy my brain.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Communist Thoughts posted:

Unfortunately unless you luck out and get like a 2 day incubation period and immediate onset of severe symptoms that ship has sailed
The time to get it was like 2 weeks ago at least

Also staying informed can be helpful, it got me to actually stockpile this time round which I didn't for brexit and I'm glad I did coz we've been self isolating and I still have bumroll to burn

Like an early adopter pre-order bonus

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Actually just to come back to this and as a small break from the coronavirus stuff, do you think maybe the internet was the best loving thing in the world for ADD?

Cos I had it as a child (presumably still do) and it's so nice to have multiple things to occupy my brain.

I'm pretty sure that among the many things about my childhood that were ignored because I was clever enough not to struggle at school, some sort of ADD is one of them, and yeah it's amazing. It takes at least two or three threads to keep my mind occupied most of the time.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

If people continue to get infected at the rate new cases increased today, everyone in country will have it exactly one month from today :)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Olewithmilk posted:

If people continue to get infected at the rate new cases increased today, everyone in country will have it exactly one month from today :)

Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe!

Thankfully that won't happen though, while most people are connected in some way with other people not every connection is an infection and the levels are still low enough to all be low hanging fruit. That's not to say a natural tail off is good in any way but 100% infection is pretty much impossible unless someone is actively trying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder what happens when it just goes nuts, people aren't going to go to work, seems like it'd just be chaos?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Robert Peston just said the next stage of the nudge unit's plan is send super-spreaders to sneeze through everyone's letterboxes. So we'll see!

Sheffield seemed as busy as normal today, and two people yesterday told me they think the media is over-hyping it. I did also find some pasta (not panic buying, genuinely ran out).

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder what happens when it just goes nuts, people aren't going to go to work, seems like it'd just be chaos?

I keep thinking when will people really start to panic, maybe when it hits a scary enough number. 1 million people? That'll be in the first week of April if the government continues to do gently caress all.

Olewithmilk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 14, 2020

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

Olewithmilk posted:

Wait hang on what calculation did you use for this? Daily 33% increases put it at almost 6 million in 31 days time. Hell even 40% is only 27 million.

I mean that isn't good either but...

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

namesake posted:

Wait hang on what calculation did you use for this? Daily 33% increases put it at almost 6 million in 31 days time. Hell even 40% is only 27 million.

I mean that isn't good either but...

I was using the increase today (~43%). It's definitely not scientific or accurate in any way, I was just extremely bored!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Olewithmilk posted:

I keep thinking when will people really start to panic, maybe when it hits a scary enough number. 1 million people? That'll be in the first week of April if the government continues to do gently caress all.

They're not doing community tests anymore, only hospital ones. So the stats are totally useless now. There is no way in a hell a full million people are officially diagnosed. It'll be dangerous for them to keep pumping the stats out from a morale perspective though because as they're now by definition the worst cases that need hospital treatment the mortality figures are going to be way inflated.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

I'd get it done before businesses start closing offices and asking people to work from home.

Yes that’s the plan! Anyone got any advice?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I got mine from Scan.co.uk and it's been rock solid, they probably have off the shelf models if you want them but it did take a little while for them to build mine.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Twitter is awful for your mental health, stay away from it.

My my my my my corona

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
cool

https://twitter.com/markwby/status/1238867143363567616

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

They're not doing community tests anymore, only hospital ones. So the stats are totally useless now. There is no way in a hell a full million people are officially diagnosed. It'll be dangerous for them to keep pumping the stats out from a morale perspective though because as they're now by definition the worst cases that need hospital treatment the mortality figures are going to be way inflated.

Yeah the most obvious and stupid affect of only testing in secondary care is that it's going to look like the UK covid 19 strain is the new black death, slaughtering 5% or more of the people who get it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

Twitter is awful for your mental health, stay away from it.

My my my my my corona

Cooooo-roooona, R O N A rona, co co co co ro naaa.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1234923352810119168?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also terrifying: some of those 20 year olds were born in the year 2000.

Ash Crimson posted:

My my my my my corona
Finally, a version of the song where "Always get it up for the touch of the younger kind" is about something other than noncing.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah this is why even young people who feel fine should be minimising contact.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Yeah this is why even young people who feel fine should be minimising contact.

yeah, feeling better about deciding to stop going to the gym and the climbing center

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why the massive spike and then dip on both sides though, is there something specific that 20-29 year olds are doing that's making them massively more infected than other demos?

Or are they just testing more of them?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Why the massive spike and then dip on both sides though, is there something specific that 20-29 year olds are doing that's making them massively more infected than other demos?

clubbing/sex is my bet.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Think about what people in their 20s will be doing more compared to other groups and what that means for transmission of disease.

Not just loving obviously but way more social things with strangers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Think about what people in their 20s will be doing more compared to other groups and what that means for transmission of disease.

Not just loving obviously but way more social things with strangers.

You are talking to the wrong person about normative 20-29 year old experiences I'm afraid, I spent basically all of them almost entirely isolated.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
loving strangers is pretty social.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

20-40 year olds are way more likely to be going out getting smashed and loving each other and also more likely to be working/commuting than their older equivalents

e: lol beaten

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
They touch each other about their respective persons out of wedlock, I heard :mad:

We are obviously witnessing The Lord's wrath for all the things I take issue with in this world.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's more the really harsh dip on either side, like you don't gently caress/work before or after 20-29.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

It's more the really harsh dip on either side, like you don't gently caress/work before or after 20-29.

I'd wager that the majority of cases in the 20-29 bracket trend towards the younger edge of it, then gradually taper off. If you had more detail it would probably be a much more obvious pattern but you can't see it with such big decade-long chunks.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

They touch each other about their respective persons out of wedlock, I heard :mad:

We are obviously witnessing The Lord's wrath for all the things I take issue with in this world.
And the two biggest outbreaks are around China and Rome. Definite Presbyterian vibes.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Maybe it's more related to who's getting tested, and since it's not meant to affect kids so much maybe their parents aren't getting concerned? But young people are gonna be more worried or civically minded to get tested even though they're not showing symptoms

or maybe avocados are the infection vector :cloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

#BoomerRemover confirmed?

Okay it is a bit much as a joke I admit.