Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Hawkeye is just the perfect mix of a hero and a screw up. This current comic series is really great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

:eyepop:

site fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 11, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Right Honourable Hulk has a nice ring to it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

How Wonderful! posted:

Immortal Hulk was incredible. I love McGowan so much.

Bennet is a wizard. There is no one else on earth who could do the art for this story. That spread, jesus.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's amazing about Immortal Hulk to me is that they're still pulling that archetypal stuff Herb Trimpe did in his seminal Hulk run in the 70's. That run was massively influential and Immortal Hulk is like its final form.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

It is incredible it has stated so good for so long. This is definitely my favorite Hulk run ever, and it isn't even close.

Definitely a consequence of being a surprise hit that gathered enough momentum that editorial couldn't muck about with it. Xemnu has been an inspired choice for villain.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm never going to be able to hear "Sesame Street" songs in quite the same way.

"Television in your head."

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Add another one on the pile for "holy poo poo Immortal Hulk is a good book".

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It's absolutely nuts how good Immortal Hulk has been for so long, and continues to be this issue.

Elsewhere I got caught up on Thor and ... meh. I still like his change in visual design but I imagine it's not long for this world as Aaron doesn't seem to be using it anywhere. Speaking of Aaron, I am continuing to enjoy his Avengers run but McGuinness' art is the opposite of exciting for me.

Plus his choice of big bad for the book has given me a ton of confusing questions rather than making me go "Oh my God, it's him!"

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Nilbop posted:

Speaking of Aaron, I am continuing to enjoy his Avengers run but McGuinness' art is the opposite of exciting for me.

Same here, I like it a lot from a writing standpoint, but the art has been so inconsistent and lackluster that it brings the run overall down a lot. McGuinness is fine at splash pages and the like, but there's something oddly cramped and awkward about his style.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I stopped reading Iron Man when Slott (?) took it over and I stopped reading Avengers when I realized it was my least looking-forward-to book. But I did just read Rescue 2020 because it's Rescue and why not. Anyone want to enlighten me on this "Tony Stark is dead and the Stark you thought you knew was an AI" thing? Since when? Since the time he came back all hairless in I wanna say Ironheart? Or from even before that?
Quite liked Rescue BTW.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
been a long time since i kept up on it, but iirc slott decided that carol really did murder tony at the end of civil war 2 and the tony appearing in books today is made up from a new cloned body??? combined with a digitally backed up version of tony's mind, thus he is in slotts mind not a real boy, as it were

site fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 14, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

been a long time since i kept up on it, but iirc slott decided that carol really did murder tony at the end of civil war 2 and the tony appearing in books today is made up from a new cloned body??? combined with a digitally backed up version of tony's mind, thus he is in slotts mind not a real boy, as it were

I mean, when you put it that way it sounds like what the mutants are doing now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Also they basically did that to Tony during Matt Fraction's run so people would forgive him for Civil War 1. It was the same body, not a clone, but he caused himself brain death and rebooted from a back-up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The people saying AI Tony "isn't real" are very much the bad guys of the book

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

The people saying AI Tony "isn't real" are very much the bad guys of the book

Yeah, this. I have liked Iron Man 2020 way more than I expected. Tony Stark being tossed in a magic box at the end of Civil War 2 was one of the weakest parts of that story.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Depending on how much credit you want to give Slott, the question of "is a backup copy of someone's mind in a backup copy of their body still the same person?" is actually an interesting one and examining it could be an interesting story.

I just don't think he's doing as good a job telling this interesting story as he thinks he is, because he's being roughly as subtle as a ballpeen hammer.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Honestly Iron Man 2020 kind of shines a spotlight on the same problems that I have with people trying to draw direct metaphors to the whole Mutant Nation thing in the current X-Men line, or most 'Superhero Universe X == Real World Y" issues.

The whole AI/robot revolt subplot through all of Slott's Iron Man tries to combine internet jokes about the real world with the Marvel Universe.

So he's busy referencing the use of 'robots' on assembly lines, in Boston Dynamics stress tests, amusement parks, crash simulations, etc. etc. taking place in a world where fully realized and actualized minds have inhabited non-organic bodies since at least World War II, and probably for centuries earlier even if it wasn't public knowledge.

So in a world where Jim Hammond has been a public hero, a decorated NYPD officer, a war hero, a high ranking SHIELD official, etc. etc. etc. if you're using fully sentient self-aware AIs who feel love and pain and fear and empathy to test if bombs work or seatbelts prevent decapitation against their will, you are a psychotic sadist who is fully aware you're torturing and conducting cruel experiments on your equals, and Slott's run basically seems to suggest automakers/Boston Dynamics/every single major corporation and nationstate in the Marvel Universe are in fact modern day Mengeles, but also the robot revolution is kind of dumb and silly and a punchline and will not fundamentally alter the face of the Marvel Universe's planet.

It's similar to the argument put forth than because the US Government has had multiple official and/or off-books programs dedicated to building genocidal Sentinels, that any non-mutant superhero who has worked with or shared intelligence with the US Government is essentially a Nazi collaborator. That's kind of true, but the fact that the US Government has at least twice been infiltrated/overthrown by a Secret Empire and installed a fascist dictator as president in the past 10-15 years, has been infiltrated by extraterrestrial shape-shifters repeatedly, had the president turned into a murderous snake monster, appointed a psychopath who tried to start a war against Gods as our top military leader, and on three separate occasions had Hitler's literal right hand man sneak his way into a cabinet-level position in the executive branch, and all of this has happened since 9/11 thanks to Marvel's sliding timeline...the idea that the Marvel Universe's conception of the federal government is even remotely like our world's is just silly.

There have been probably three dozen things orders of magnitude worse than 9/11 that have happened in the past decade to New York City alone, much less your random "all of Paris is turned into stone statues" or "a stadium full of people in Chicago are vaporized in a false flag terrorist attack to justify declaring war on an immortal city of Gods", so I'm not even sure if having society really makes sense for the Marvel Universe, much less trying to map it to our own.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

"all of Paris is turned into stone statues"

I had forgotten about this. Wow, Fear Itself had some dreadful tie ins.

I think I remember them having everyone get better from being turned to stone, but it was definitely just a throwaway thing some writer randomly inserted.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

Honestly Iron Man 2020 kind of shines a spotlight on the same problems that I have with people trying to draw direct metaphors to the whole Mutant Nation thing in the current X-Men line, or most 'Superhero Universe X == Real World Y" issues.

The whole AI/robot revolt subplot through all of Slott's Iron Man tries to combine internet jokes about the real world with the Marvel Universe.

So he's busy referencing the use of 'robots' on assembly lines, in Boston Dynamics stress tests, amusement parks, crash simulations, etc. etc. taking place in a world where fully realized and actualized minds have inhabited non-organic bodies since at least World War II, and probably for centuries earlier even if it wasn't public knowledge.

So in a world where Jim Hammond has been a public hero, a decorated NYPD officer, a war hero, a high ranking SHIELD official, etc. etc. etc. if you're using fully sentient self-aware AIs who feel love and pain and fear and empathy to test if bombs work or seatbelts prevent decapitation against their will, you are a psychotic sadist who is fully aware you're torturing and conducting cruel experiments on your equals, and Slott's run basically seems to suggest automakers/Boston Dynamics/every single major corporation and nationstate in the Marvel Universe are in fact modern day Mengeles, but also the robot revolution is kind of dumb and silly and a punchline and will not fundamentally alter the face of the Marvel Universe's planet.

That's my problem with it too. Like, I know "this won't effect Marvel's Earth because it has to vaguely mirror our own" is a common complaint to make against any even slightly big status shift in Marvel, but this whole AI uprising thing is so dumb. Especially the level to which Slott seems to be using "AI". Like it seems like he's writing less an AI uprising and more an "any machine that uses electricity" uprising. Like apparently there's roombas and Chuck E Cheese robots rising up and it's like gently caress off Dan, this is beyond stupid and I feel like it's almost vaguely insulting to literally any actual oppressed group fighting for equal rights.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I had forgotten about this. Wow, Fear Itself had some dreadful tie ins.

I think I remember them having everyone get better from being turned to stone, but it was definitely just a throwaway thing some writer randomly inserted.

Yeah, Odin apparently fixes it at the end of the event according to Wikipedia.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 15, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I seem to remember hearing Fear Itself was originally supposed to be a much smaller Thor/Captain America crossover that got massively expanded after Matt Fraction's original pitch. Is there any truth to that? If so I kinda wonder what his original idea would have looked like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

I seem to remember hearing Fear Itself was originally supposed to be a much smaller Thor/Captain America crossover that got massively expanded after Matt Fraction's original pitch. Is there any truth to that? If so I kinda wonder what his original idea would have looked like.

That's quite often what happens to smaller story arcs. An editor says "What if we did this but BIGGER" and it goes crazy. See also: Flashpoint.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
That also happened to Rick Remender's Axis event which would originally have simply been an arc in Uncanny Avengers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Judging by many of the Marvel events from the last 15 years I would wager most of them were originally conceived of as self contained arcs. And then there's ones that the writer clearly planned to be huge and they never left the confines of the one book.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Venom The End explored all that much better :b

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The tie ins are usually pretty telling for this. I have a pretty firm never read tie ins rule for events unless it is clearly the book the event sprang from (that you are reading anyway) or it looks delightful (most tie ins to War of the Realms).

There can be great tie ins sometimes, like the Giant Men one for WotR or the surprisingly good Ulysses one for Civil War 2. War of the Realms was strongly helped because they didn't have to pretend any of them were meaningful, and could just have fun having Spiderman talk to a horse.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I much prefer the events that are put together and don't really involve existing books. Annihilation is probably my favorite Marvel event of the last 15-20 years. Everything that followed up til the end of the Thanos Imperative was excellent and can be read as one enormous space saga.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Definitely. Annihilation was so much better than Civil War. I think the biggest problem is that they are quarterly now, so any excitement they used to generate was boiled away. If Marvel could just let what are currently events just be stories in normal titles and save having a bespoke miniseries with tie in minis for something actually big once every year or two they would be more impactful.

Absolute Carnage has no business being more than an arc in Venom.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Definitely. Annihilation was so much better than Civil War. I think the biggest problem is that they are quarterly now, so any excitement they used to generate was boiled away. If Marvel could just let what are currently events just be stories in normal titles and save having a bespoke miniseries with tie in minis for something actually big once every year or two they would be more impactful.

Absolute Carnage has no business being more than an arc in Venom.

DC did the small events for a year or 2 with the latest relaunch and most of those stories were good, but alas the money machine didnt make enough "brrrrrrrr" noises.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's almost like conditioning readers to think events are "more important" than regular stories for 30 years means they'll be less likely to buy non-event books.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I much prefer the events that are put together and don't really involve existing books. Annihilation is probably my favorite Marvel event of the last 15-20 years. Everything that followed up til the end of the Thanos Imperative was excellent and can be read as one enormous space saga.

I loved Thanos Imperative, and Annihilatiors after. It felt like a really good Farscape arc with Marvel Cosmic and just a really good mechanic on an alternate universe getting really hosed up and Satanic and Eldritch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It did! Nova really did have the John Crichton energy all through the entire saga. I never made that connection until now!

Haha, Ronan is Dargo and Rocket is Rygell.

GROOT IS ZHAAN

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
Annihilation is so much better than Civil War. It's made even more clear in Nova when he returns to Earth and finds out that the Avengers were so busy fighting each other that they had no idea how close the universe came to ending, or that Nova had saved it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

El Tortuga posted:

Annihilation is so much better than Civil War. It's made even more clear in Nova when he returns to Earth and finds out that the Avengers were so busy fighting each other that they had no idea how close the universe came to ending, or that Nova had saved it.

I like the What If where they can't stop the Annihilation Wave so Nova beats it to Earth to get the Avenger's help, finds out Civil War is happening and gets really pissed at them.

Nova, Iron Man and Captain America sacrifice themselves to stop the Annihilation Wave on the moon in one last stand and are able to save Earth

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

El Tortuga posted:

It's my second-favorite reaction to Civil War after Thor wrecking Iron Man.

"I pulled him inside out and saved the universe. What have you done lately, Tony?"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 16, 2020

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

I like the What If where they can't stop the Annihilation Wave so Nova beats it to Earth to get the Avenger's help, finds out Civil War is happening and gets really pissed at them.

Nova, Iron Man and Captain America sacrifice themselves to stop the Annihilation Wave on the moon in one last stand and are able to save Earth

This was my favorite Uatu moment. Usually his deal is, "I can't interfere, but you guys are all going to die otherwise, so I guess I can make an exception." He did that in the What If, but his big plan involved accidentally destroying the moon itself, which was shown to be heartbreaking to him.

By that point, Annihilus was taken care of, but Earth was left in a horrible state. The final scene of Nova, Iron Man and Cap's sacrifice was Uatu interfering yet again in order to show those moments to every single person on Earth purely for the sake of inspiration and the belief that any world that could create guys like that would turn out all right.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

yeah, I can't be bothered to find the quote but I definitely recall reading that it began as a Thor/Captain America miniseries to tie in with the two 2011 Marvel Studios releases. Brubaker was supposed to co-write it too, but he ended up just doing prologue and epilogue one-shots.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/arthurstacy/status/1239728177322352640

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Drew "Eye-Boy" Scanlon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Diamond is letting shops sell this week's books a day early, so if you want to grab them tonight go ahead. Seems like an odd thing to announce so late in the day, but it is a nice thing in this difficult time.