Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
They've added much more complex multi-layered tooltips. So at the very least, I expect tooltips to include a short version of character sheet - at the moment you don't even see their basic stats. Perhaps you could open several tooltips at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

ilitarist posted:

They've added much more complex multi-layered tooltips. So at the very least, I expect tooltips to include a short version of character sheet - at the moment you don't even see their basic stats. Perhaps you could open several tooltips at the same time.

Tooltips should get more detailed and descriptive the higher your characters learning.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Theswarms posted:

Tooltips should get more detailed and descriptive the higher your characters learning.

For the love of god don't do this

feller
Jul 5, 2006

As someone who doesn’t play ck, I like that idea

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Lmao please do it, double down on the RPG I'd actually be super interested in that

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I think Magna Mundi did something like that, for a real blast from the past.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I like the idea behind it, but I think tooltips are the wrong place. Tooltips are there to help you learn the game side of things. Someone who's played the game for a hundred hours would be minimally inconvenienced by the rule, while new players who would entirely bound by it.

Instead, I'd be fine with some information presented by the interface be limited by your skills or the skills of your appropriate advisor.

Your own army levies would be an estimate with a listed range based on Martial
The opinion displayed, and likelihood of the AI accepting offers, would be an estimate based on Diplomacy
Monthly income would vary slightly and be an estimate based on Stewardship
Any information about factions or foreign realms would scale on Intrigue
And the outcome of events would be more precisely displayed based on Learning

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Steward skill raises/lowers the cost of DLC.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Theswarms posted:

This is the Fallout 2 "using Intelligence as a dump stat" strat and I 100% support it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zeron posted:

The Magna Mundi game was going to have awful florid descriptors for everything instead of numbers and yeah also just randomly tell you things which are wrong because your diplomat occasionally fucks up or w.e.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

RabidWeasel posted:

The Magna Mundi game

I wonder whatever happened to Ubik.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Drone posted:

I wonder whatever happened to Ubik.

Rotting in a Portuguese asylum

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Have it so your current character's traits/skill levels chime in with extra text in event popups, Disco Elysium-style :getin:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Bloody Pom posted:

Have it so your current character's traits/skill levels chime in with extra text in event popups, Disco Elysium-style :getin:

My favorite is the Scholar option in EU4's comet event.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Bloody Pom posted:

Disco Elysium is so much an opposite-of-Paradox game that it's stunning.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

It’s just reversing the order though. In CK2 and EU4 you already get options to do certain things based on your traits. Just rewrite so instead of saying “give her a good tumble” it says “Seducer: I want to have gently caress with you”

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Bloody Pom posted:

Electrochemistry would save me from that loving “you die on the stairs or get drunkard” event

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Sampatrick posted:

For the love of god don't do this

If you have bad learning and zealous all tooltips are replaced by "God did it". Medium learning and zealous gets you normal tooltips. High Learning and zealous replaces them all with "God did it" again.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Zeron posted:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Make tooltips a DLC feature.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

:perfect:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

needs an additional EvW hole

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

BBJoey posted:

needs an additional EvW hole

a strait, if you will

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Clearly nonsense. There's no Imperator dip on this graph

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
think I might use my quarantine time to try and force myself to like imperator

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

:hmmyes:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

fuf posted:

think I might use my quarantine time to try and force myself to like imperator

it's the flu, it's not going to make you that sick and deranged

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

holy poo poo

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Strictly accurate

I still have the leaked released Magna Mundi demo [I just remembered that it was actually released in that state by ubik lmao] floating around on my computer lmao

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 14, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Post that poo poo

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

do not post it, someone will try it and you don't want that kind of blood on your hands

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
What’s an ubik?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nothing much what's ubik with you

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Popoto posted:

What’s an ubik?

the lead dev of Magna Mundi, both the EU3 mod and the cancelled spinoff sort-of-an-EU-sequel based on it

he was A Personality but kinda dropped off the face of the earth when the spinoff game was cancelled. rumor was he ended up institutionalized.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Cease to Hope posted:

the lead dev of Magna Mundi, both the EU3 mod and the cancelled spinoff sort-of-an-EU-sequel based on it

he was A Personality but kinda dropped off the face of the earth when the spinoff game was cancelled. rumor was he ended up institutionalized.

He also claimed that by Paradox offically licensing out the Clausewitz engine for use in Magna Mundi that it actually meant that he literally owned Clausewitz. Shortly thereafter he was committed to an asylum or something by his family.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Drone posted:

He also claimed that by Paradox offically licensing out the Clausewitz engine for use in Magna Mundi that it actually meant that he literally owned Clausewitz. Shortly thereafter he was committed to an asylum or something by his family.

Yup.

(not my translation, but from a Portuguese denizen of another forum at the time)

quote:

Carlos Rodrigues [Gustavo, which you know as Ubik of Magna Mundi], the programmer that was forcibly committed during 71 days under the Mental Health Act, has decided to sue five of the doctors that were involved in several stages of his clinical process. The first criminal complaint was filed at the Oeiras Court on September 22nd. This is not the first time that compulsively committed people appeal to the courts against this kind of decision. The relatives, who ordered the commitment, defend that Carlos suffers from "delirious disturbances" and that doesn't want to treat himself.

Carlos Rodrigues, 42 years old, says he had never been to a psychiatrist in his whole life, that he never took any psychiatric medication and that, nevertheless, on October 13th last year, four police officers [PSP] knocked on his door to lead him to the hospital. They had with them a warrant. It was claimed that he was "carrier of a psychic anomaly", that his health condition had "deteriorated", that he represented a danger and refused treatment.

He ended up being committed for 71 days at the Psychiatric and Mental Health Department at the Egas Moniz Hospital in Lisbon, got medicated with injectable antipsychotics. He claims that his "professional life got ruined", that he got a depression because of the commitment and the medication, and that the stigma of his alleged madness will remain forever as a scar.

(...)

In the case of Carlos, it was his relatives, his parents, his brother and sister-in-law, who is a doctor, who asked for his commitment because they were convinced that he suffers from a mental illness of prolonged evolution. At the basis of this conviction by the relatives would be information that he supposedly put on the Internet, claims Carlos. So as the fact that in the family, his paternal grandfather, had been diagnosed with schizophrenia. The programmer adds that, at the time of his commitment, he had cut relations with his parents, precisely because they had been saying to his friends, underage daughter and professional contacts that he suffers from a mental illness, something that destroyed his credibility and brought him several problems at work.

His relatives, however, claim that Carlos suffers from "delirious ideas", "that he started to tape conversations with his family saying that they were harming him", that he was being watched with video surveillance cameras, and considering "his father as the main culprit of the conspiracy", says the report about his case, made by the Psychiatric Center of Lisbon, which took part in the process of compulsive internment and was appreciated at the Criminal Court of Lisbon. The family tried, for several times, to take him to the psychiatrist and Carlos did not accept, said the relatives.

Carlos has now moved a lawsuit against the doctors, because he claims to have been commited unfairly and that he does not suffer from any mental problem. He especially denies "a clinical information" that was at the origin of his commitment, that was asked by his relatives and is signed by a intern in psychiatrics (still in her graduation period). In the note, the then intern says that the information that was passed to her was given to the intern by the relatives and by the sister-in-law, "worthy of credibility", because it was her "colleague", as it is written in the clinical information of October 11th, 2013, to which the PUBLICO had access.

In the clinical information, even though she never saw him, the doctor takes as granted that Carlos suffers from "delirious perturbances with a long evolution period". She makes reference to his social isolation and severance of his ties with his family. At his first psychiatric evaluation, at the Urgencies of the Hospital S. José, to where he was taken by the police, another doctor wrote that Carlos suffers from "persistant delusional psychosis". Carlos claims that this doctor barely spoke with him, read the clinical information of the other doctor and took informations only near his relatives

Pedro Silva Lopes, Carlo's lawyer, that, for the first time, exposed the case in an opinion article in PUBLICO, says that the document which was the basis of the commitment was requested by him since the beguinning, but was "intentionally hidden during six months" by the hospital. Only on April 9th this year, already after the patient had had leave from the hospital, was the paper given to him. The psychiatrist in question works at the Hospital Egas Moniz, where Carlos was committed.

Carlos Rodrigues asks: "How can you pass a paper saying that a person is a complete looney without having seen him? There are no reports of any misbehaviour". Carlos Rodrigues claims to have a programming company that recieves european funding and that several deals were lost due to the commitment and the strong antipsychotic medication to which he was forcibly subjected to, besides the fact that he became stymgatized. "This will be with me for the rest of my life. If I have a problem in the bone of my leg and the wrong leg is cut off, I will complain, but an alleged mental patient doesn't have credibility for anything."
https://www.publico.pt/2014/11/05/sociedade/noticia/carlos-benavente-processa-medicos-que-o-internaram-a-forca-e-o-deram-como-louco-1675130

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I suspect the stress of running the game must have gotten to him a little bit. I did a tiny amount of beta testing for Magna Mundi the mod, and he seemed sane enough over email.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Wasn't there more to that story and his family were actually trying to get him declared insane because of some kind of inheritance? I'm sure I remember this from when it first came up years ago but I'm damned if I'm going to try and find anything to corroborate that now.

He came over as more of an overly dramatic creator type than being mentally unstable and all joking aside the mod was fun to play.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

all joking aside the mod was fun to play.

We found the guy who liked pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I remember the mod starting out fun and then increasingly becoming a mess.