Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Augh acrylics are so different from oils. What is anything.

yeah acrylics kinda feel like bullshit compared to the smooth luxury of oils. although scumbling rules and i will scumble all day with the best of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

que sera sera posted:

yeah acrylics kinda feel like bullshit compared to the smooth luxury of oils. although scumbling rules and i will scumble all day with the best of them.

Right? On the other hand I didn't gas myself with solvent fumes and it's dry already which feels insane.

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Right? On the other hand I didn't gas myself with solvent fumes and it's dry already which feels insane.

yeah lol it kinda feels like cheating to walk away with a finished, dry painting after one session. When you switch from one to the other there is definitely a learning curve, but each is fun in its own way!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
oh hey I just mentioned this elsewhere but keep a little fine mist spray bottle on hand to keep paint on your palette from developing a dried skin on the surface

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

oh hey I just mentioned this elsewhere but keep a little fine mist spray bottle on hand to keep paint on your palette from developing a dried skin on the surface

Noted thank you! I did notice this trying to happen.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Ugh terrible photo, the light was bouncing around. Had some real trouble with mud-mixing in this one but it looks all right for a tiny canvas. The sky's nice.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Tonight's daily. Still playing around with that brush, I guess.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

HopperUK posted:

I'm sorry to hear that but I love that second picture. Their hair looks incredible.

Thanks! I tend to draw stuff in a very similar style pretty often whenever I get the sadbrains.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Shinmera posted:

Tonight's daily. Still playing around with that brush, I guess.

Love this! I like the wind catching the hood of her sweater.

Also love the cerberus up there, always up for a cerberus. Good boys.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.
Did a bit of work

*returns to hole*

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Hellbeard posted:

Did a bit of work

*returns to hole*

Wow! Loving everything about this

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hellbeard posted:

Did a bit of work

*returns to hole*

That's fantastic! Just one thing seemed a bit off (maybe intentionally), so I tried rotating the lady's eyes just a tiny bit:

I think it lines up a bit better with the angle.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Look forward to buying all future groceries based on how easy or difficult they would be to draw.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

HopperUK posted:

Love this! I like the wind catching the hood of her sweater.

Thanks, I really should get to working on my scenery calendar for next year!

Another late night sketch for now, though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Phylodox posted:

That's fantastic! Just one thing seemed a bit off (maybe intentionally), so I tried rotating the lady's eyes just a tiny bit:

For what is worth, I agree.

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

Phylodox posted:

God drat it you're right.
Thanks!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Remember the big o?

That was an alright show.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Thundercats are go!

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

I tried to study this picture because I like the colors... I do not understand the colors. I used the eyedropper tool to try and copy the palette and it did not go well.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I recommend you don't use the eyedropper tool to choose your palette if your intent is to study color. Use it when studying the painting, and to check how close you got with a manual selection, and maybe use it if there's a tricky color you can't figure out because the surrounding colors are throwing you off, but generally speaking, don't try to actually paint from it. I would personally recommend choosing colors manually and building a small set of swatches, either to the side of your painting or in the swatch menu if your software has one, then setting your brush colors from there when you get around to the dirty work. Remember, not all of the colors you color pick are colors that were on the painter's palette; a lot of them are just colors that emerged from blending a much smaller palette! Look for some Youtube tutorials on color theory and limited palettes; I bet Marco Bucci has some good ones, and they're only ten minutes apiece.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Not a drawing, but starting up a new ArtGoon discord so that we have one where the mods are a) there, and b) actually part of the artgoon discussions rather than just running a discord empire.

https://discord.gg/25e2VpE

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Thundercats are go!

Some solid ear-fur game going on here.

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp
Best faces from today's Quickposes session:

Also happy Pi Day 2020, everybody!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

schmarson posted:

Best faces from today's Quickposes session:

Why does this strike me as a starship crew?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hey I did a few commissions!!

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

bones 4 beginners posted:

Look forward to buying all future groceries based on how easy or difficult they would be to draw.

I am really loving this series.

I saw a black vulture, a king vulture and a turkey vulture at a bird show last weekend and fell in love, so I sat down to sketch some, starting with turkey vultures. I got some neat recycled paper and new art supplies from some friends, so I took them for a spin.

I

and a quick sketch from a ride through the park

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I am really loving this series.

I saw a black vulture, a king vulture and a turkey vulture at a bird show last weekend and fell in love, so I sat down to sketch some, starting with turkey vultures. I got some neat recycled paper and new art supplies from some friends, so I took them for a spin.

I

What did you use to make these? Pastels? They look great.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

HopperUK posted:

What did you use to make these? Pastels? They look great.

Thank you! They're mostly charcoal (vine and compressed), the first one used china crayon/grease pencil, which I have not used before, and then the white is white charcoal pencil and some white sticks that, uh, I don't know what they're called because I got them as hand-me-downs but they look like some kind of compressed white charcoal/crayon? and some conte crayon for the brown. The red is oil pastel. And then a lot of blending with smudge sticks, which I've never really used before. I'm used to using my fingers or a cloth to smudge, turns out smudge sticks are super useful! Who knew?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Love your vultures and trees.

I can't get on wiht charcoal or pastels because I don't like the feel of them on the paper

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like oil pastels, they're all buttery smooth.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I’m concerned about the bird show loophole.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I started taking a figure drawing class, here's the products from the first two classes:

I have a feeling the coronavirus might delay the rest of our classes, we'll see I guess!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Carotid posted:

I started taking a figure drawing class, here's the products from the first two classes:

I have a feeling the coronavirus might delay the rest of our classes, we'll see I guess!

I love the shading here especially! The feeling of volume is very good.

I moved onto a big canvas! I say big. 12X16 inches, a big step up from the 5X7s I've been doing. Excuse the light reflecting off the paint, I couldn't find a better angle. Oh and the yellow branch middle-right looks a lot better in person, the photo has smeared it out. idk I felt terribly daring just trying to do a bigger painting. Cheers St Bob of Ross.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Make some art, you!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Don’t think I posted this Nick Cage here yet.

The Halogens
Sep 2, 2011

These all make me feel nostalgic. Reminds me of trips up north in the middle of the woods. All my grandpa's property had that same color palette.

Best Nick Cage.

Shinmera posted:

Make some art, you!

Please make more stuff like this. It looks like it's made from paper cutouts and I love it.

Progress pics! Made the woman on March 1st, then Beardo on March 14th. Gave myself an hour for each. Without the time constraint "challenge" I tend to put things off in favor of more figure/head practice. Lots of mistakes, although those are just roadmaps for what to work on next.

Wanted to make something that I didn't strictly need references for so I could work while hanging out with my wife away from my art desk. This is my "canonical" Pokemon team comprised of bozos that usually find their way onto my team in some form or another regardless of the entry in the series.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."
Diggin those birds.

Duuk
Sep 4, 2006

Victorious, he returned to us, claiming that he had slain the drought where even Orlanth could not. The god-talkers were not sure what to make of this.
Crossposting from the coronavirus thread.
What an inspiring time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

bones 4 beginners posted:

Diggin those birds.

Hello my friend. These are great but I suggest you take more consideration of perspective in the preliminary drawing stages. Your eye for the color/shape stuff is great, but the fundamental drawing problems are distracting from that IMO.