Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"I have no idea what my Steam reviews are. None!"

Why would you go out and actively seek toxic people to spew their crap into your brain? The risk/reward on that kind of activity has got to be near zero. Sure you should listen to feedback...from people you trust, that you've built a relationship with. Randos on the internet? No way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm still trying to figure out how I feel over "if you're a gamedev you should go to 4chan"

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
No, no, /v/ isn't full of nazis, it's just full of screeching manchildren who have an apoplectic fit whenever a video game reminds them that women, minorities, or LGBT people exist

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i guess to some extent i can get the idea of 'maybe briefly look at negative places to see what they say because it might help you get a hold on some things to fix' but i feel like there's beter ways to read the temperature than to slap your goddang hand onto the burner on the stove

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

h_double posted:

I don't disagree with a word you wrote. But just as people are willing to put up with a whole sea of questionable UX decisions to play Final Fantasy Tactics, I'm able to be affectionate towards Dredmor even in spite of its clunky interface. It's just dumb fun to be a Indiana Jones style assassin / golemancer who robs vending machines.

This is about where I am. Dredmor has flaws, in fact I could easily list off 100 of them, but it's also a fun game that I would definitely go back and play.

Having a pocket dimension where I can stash my inventory of 500 random crafting ingredients is absurd and tedious, but sometimes I'm looking for that particular absurdity and willing to put up with the tedium that comes with it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Now I feel bad about saying Jupiter Hell graphics were a turn-off.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Now I feel bad about saying Jupiter Hell graphics were a turn-off.

I dunno I like the doomrl tiles more

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Johnny Joestar posted:

i guess to some extent i can get the idea of 'maybe briefly look at negative places to see what they say because it might help you get a hold on some things to fix' but i feel like there's beter ways to read the temperature than to slap your goddang hand onto the burner on the stove
Yeah, literally listening to goons will give you all the same feedback and more, from smarter people, written in nicer ways

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, literally listening to goons will give you all the same feedback and more, from smarter people, written in nicer ways

Some, however, are like channers.

As in they are Nazis.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Practicing telling people to gently caress off and having confidence in your vision aren't terrible ideas -- they're one potentially productive way of doing things, at least -- but his framing and specific examples are way worse than (and a distraction from) the general principle they express.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Foo Diddley posted:

No, no, /v/ isn't full of nazis, it's just full of screeching manchildren who have an apoplectic fit whenever a video game reminds them that women, minorities, or LGBT people exist

I'm too old for 4chan but I think it's just guys who are horny for anime and love fallout new vegas man

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

h_double posted:

I don't disagree with a word you wrote. But just as people are willing to put up with a whole sea of questionable UX decisions to play Final Fantasy Tactics, I'm able to be affectionate towards Dredmor even in spite of its clunky interface. It's just dumb fun to be a Indiana Jones style assassin / golemancer who robs vending machines.

I desperately wish there was a modern FFT style game, that was perhaps a little faster paced. It's just a super satisfying set of mechanics and feels a lot more fun than FE games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I'd be more concerned about the UX of Dredmor if I liked the gameplay, the art, or the humor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

goferchan posted:

I'm too old for 4chan but I think it's just guys who are horny for anime and love fallout new vegas man
it's actually all 3 of these groups, often at the same time

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

goferchan posted:

You're definitely thinking of Something Awful.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

goferchan posted:

it mostly is, except /pol/ which is all nazis and paranoid schizophrenics

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SLASH'EM update: pet baby dragon died to a gnoll ambush in the gnome king's throne room after everything else was dead. :( Pet cat got killed by the minetown watch after trying to eat the watch captain. So I'm now petless, apart from the demons I summon from time to time by polymorphing into a marilith. Haven't been doing that much lately since I hit XL10 and became able to reliably turn into a fire vampire, though. It's a pretty vicious morph -- self-illuminating, flying, mix of fire, physical, and drain attacks -- and not so high level that I can't stay in it for long.

Cleared Sokoban, although slashem9 not having the boulder option made it a lot harder than it should be, and I ended up having to Liquid Leap to solve the third level. Gave me an amulet of reflection.

I just found the portal to the monk quest, and I'm debating the wisdom of attempting it now or not -- I remember Master Kaen being a cast-iron rear end in a top hat in vanilla, but I have polymorph control now, so while I can't stay in giant shoggoth form for long, I can probably do it for long enough to seriously ruin his day.

I also finally identified potion of gain ability. Turned out I had three in my inventory, so I blessed them for an easy +3 to all stats. Nethack! :v:

pointsofdata posted:

I desperately wish there was a modern FFT style game, that was perhaps a little faster paced. It's just a super satisfying set of mechanics and feels a lot more fun than FE games.

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark claims to be this, but I haven't actually played it to find out yet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

More like Dungeons of Dreckmore!

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

ToxicFrog posted:

SLASH'EM update: pet baby dragon died to a gnoll ambush in the gnome king's throne room after everything else was dead. :( Pet cat got killed by the minetown watch after trying to eat the watch captain. So I'm now petless, apart from the demons I summon from time to time by polymorphing into a marilith. Haven't been doing that much lately since I hit XL10 and became able to reliably turn into a fire vampire, though. It's a pretty vicious morph -- self-illuminating, flying, mix of fire, physical, and drain attacks -- and not so high level that I can't stay in it for long.

Cleared Sokoban, although slashem9 not having the boulder option made it a lot harder than it should be, and I ended up having to Liquid Leap to solve the third level. Gave me an amulet of reflection.

I just found the portal to the monk quest, and I'm debating the wisdom of attempting it now or not -- I remember Master Kaen being a cast-iron rear end in a top hat in vanilla, but I have polymorph control now, so while I can't stay in giant shoggoth form for long, I can probably do it for long enough to seriously ruin his day.

I also finally identified potion of gain ability. Turned out I had three in my inventory, so I blessed them for an easy +3 to all stats. Nethack! :v:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark claims to be this, but I haven't actually played it to find out yet.

I’ve played fell seal when it was early access and it was fiiine. I think I need to give it another shake because I just wasn’t super impressed. My big issue is I don’t really like the art style.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

ToxicFrog posted:

I love Nethack (or Nethack adjacent) stories, even the short ones like I started as a knight, tried to mount my horse, failed, and died.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Door in the Woods help needed! Spoilering for people who don't want scenario spoilers.

So I opened the puzzle box in the final scenario. Which spawns the @ and is cool and good and real neat. I love that it bleeds into other game modes and is (seemingly?) impossible to kill. However I'd really like to be able to play some of the other modes I haven't beaten without a real-time monster following me and taking a large sanity hit right at the beginning. I'm assuming I have to find the second puzzle box the note in the first alluded to. But I have no clue where the "park" is or how to find the house North of it. Anyone have one neat trick that demon-clones hate?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

pointsofdata posted:

Is X-Com a final fantasy tactics style game? I loved FFT but never gave X-Com a shot for years. When I did with X-Com 2, I absolutely loved it but couldn't put a finger on why. I think this is the answer.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

poemdexter posted:

Is X-Com a final fantasy tactics style game? I loved FFT but never gave X-Com a shot for years. When I did with X-Com 2, I absolutely loved it but couldn't put a finger on why. I think this is the answer.

X-Com is /kind/ of similar to FFT in that it has turn based (kind of) combat, but there's no classes, only equipment and stats that raise themselves slowly. Also it's more simulationist.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a lot closer to FFT with the different classes and turn system.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Disgaea series are fantasy tactics games. They're just waaaay on the other end of the serious/goofy spectrum from FFT.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

X-Com games work because there are very few meaningless decisions. Something as simple as whether or not to have a soldier kneel can be the difference between success and disaster.

Disgaea is pedo wank material.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

X-Com games work because there are very few meaningless decisions. Something as simple as whether or not to have a soldier kneel can be the difference between success and disaster.

Disgaea is pedo wank material.

I see you've never played Disgaea. gently caress off.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

I see you've never played Disgaea. gently caress off.

Yeah nothing creepy here, my bad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm not going to defend the character designs, which suck. I am going to defend the games, which are good. They don't sexualize the characters, the writing is corny but charming, and the gameplay is genuinely great. They take the ideas of FFT and then crank the numbers up to ridiculous highs and ask you to figure out how to solve the grinding problem. Reducing them to "the only people who play this are pedos" makes you out to be an rear end in a top hat.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, you can take issue with individual character designs but don't throw around pedophilia accusations based on games. It's not only idiotic but also literally against the forum rules.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That dude has been going on a pedophilia-fueled crusade against Disgaea for like, years now. Lol if you think that this is fueled by rational thought instead of mental problems and could thus be reasonably argued.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

HenryEx posted:

That dude has been going on a pedophilia-fueled crusade against Disgaea for like, years now. Lol if you think that this is fueled by rational thought instead of mental problems and could thus be reasonably argued.

I for one just like seeing really big numbers

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

HenryEx posted:

I don't think I've ever commented on Disgaea before today.

I'll dip out of this thread though cuz Disgaea's not even a roguelike and I like reading this thread, sorry for derailing.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Disgaea owns

Did you say "infinite grind"? I'm down

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
This disgaea talk is making me think they should bring back undying ranger

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is EXTREMELY FFT and a lot of the jobs are straight up homages to old FFT classes. extremely worth your time. does Items in a really cool way and has a class that has an ability that lets it get double the effect of each item and use it on a bunch of people simultaneously

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
To derail the derail with a further derail, has anyone tried Horizon’s Gate? It’s a tactical rpg with a job system, terrain changing, and a dash of Sid Meier’s Pirates.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

LordSloth posted:

To derail the derail with a further derail, has anyone tried Horizon’s Gate? It’s a tactical rpg with a job system, terrain changing, and a dash of Sid Meier’s Pirates.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/

Yes!! I talked about this in the steam thread, but since it dropped I've put three hours into it and it's extremely good. I haven't run into a huge amount of combat (compared to alvora or voidspire) but it makes it more exciting when you run into some spiders or whatever. I've been loving the chill exploration + trading stuff. Since it's not very deep it's easy for me to buy low/sell high and focus on upgrading my ship and finding better gear for my dudes.

I've gone back to play Voidspire since I'm used to the UI now and enjoy it, but I keep finding myself playing Horizon instead because I'm in love with the sailing aspect.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

leper khan posted:

This disgaea talk is making me think they should bring back undying ranger

I had that on PSP, and it was kind of neat but I never really made much progress with it. Definitely a roguelike, though.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I played through all of undying ranger, and you know, that's an incredibly rad game. Plot's good, and all the progression systems are suitably meaty and fun to use.

Never got much into the post game, because there's a huge difficulty spike and they expect you to grind for days. You know, a very Nippon Ichi thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

ZHP is legitimately Nippon Ichi’s best game and both sequels making GBS threads the bed will never not make me mad.