Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Gentle puts on eyeliner in order to make La Brava feel better about the bags under her eyes, turning it into a part of their crime duo look.
The man's a treasure.

(He's also a doofus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
La Brava lucked out falling into Gentle's orbit. She could have ended up with someone way worse. Girl needs therapy.

Also, Deku's bank shot was excellent.

Also also, did anybody notice? Deku just fought an incredibly tough villain and didn't break anything. Not even a finger.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

A good episode.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Gentle's the kind of person who cares deeply for the people close to him but clearly doesn't extend that to anyone else. Still, he isn't cruel at all, and doesn't particularly want to hurt anyone in pursuit of his fairly selfish dream. A True Neutral character. Or should I say Fabulous Neutral.

La Brava puts too much of herself into her crushes and clearly has terrible taste in men. Although her quirk might be an influence on that. Her depression mode reminded me a lot of Madeline from Celeste.

I love them both.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Gentle's the kind of person who cares deeply for the people close to him but clearly doesn't extend that to anyone else. Still, he isn't cruel at all, and doesn't particularly want to hurt anyone in pursuit of his fairly selfish dream. A True Neutral character. Or should I say Fabulous Neutral.

La Brava puts too much of herself into her crushes and clearly has terrible taste in men. Although her quirk might be an influence on that. Her depression mode reminded me a lot of Madeline from Celeste.

I love them both.

I'm not sure I'd say Gentle doesn't care for strangers. He got in trouble the first time for (loving up big time when) trying to help someone he never met, and he makes a point with most of his crimes to have some grand social purpose, even if the social purpose is dumb and doesn't actually help anyone.

He's trying to help people, in his way. It's just that his way tends to... not help.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
To be fair catching people doesn't seem particularly hard for him he just happened to throw it in front of a random bird dude who flew in from nowhere

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

He's trying to help people, in his way. It's just that his way tends to... not help.
I was talking about the John & Dave literary trilogy the other day on these sub-forums and this seems more fitting than ever to mention:

John Cheese on "This Book is Full of Spiders: Seriously, Dude, Don't Touch It" posted:

We didn't do any of it on purpose. We're just... not very good at things.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

my only real problem with this otherwise good arc is i don't think the 'if literally anything goes wrong the school will get closed down' stake escalation was really needed. it's already enough to have deku not want all the effort his classmates have spent the past few weeks to go to waste and wanting eri to have a good time

all it really does is make gentle look like a worse person than the rest of the story seems to intend and makes horikoshi seem like he's allergic to having a low-stakes arc

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I don’t think the school would be shut down, just locked down and the festival cancelled.

Brother Entropy posted:

it's already enough to have deku not want all the effort his classmates have spent the past few weeks to go to waste and wanting eri to have a good time

As far as I can tell, those are the only real stakes

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

wait what the hell, i just skimmed through the relevant manga chapters and now i can't find what i'm talking about

did i just completely make that up??? :psyduck:

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
You'd think Gentle would've went the Vigilante route if anything, doubly if his main problem was hurting people with his Quirk rather than helping*.

Silver Pimpernel or some such.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Brother Entropy posted:

wait what the hell, i just skimmed through the relevant manga chapters and now i can't find what i'm talking about

The cops tell the principal that they’ll shut down the festival even if there’s a false alarm, it might have just been a wording issue

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Brother Entropy posted:

e:fb

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

instead of blaming myself i'll just blame a bad scanlation the first time i read it, that seems like the kind of mistake that'd crop up there

anyway in that case i have literally zero complaints about the gentle arc, good job horikoshi

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think people were extending "it would be a real big embarrassment to UA, who already look like clowns" to "it could lead to UA shutting down" and from there to "it would lead to UA shutting down."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not sure I'd say Gentle doesn't care for strangers. He got in trouble the first time for (loving up big time when) trying to help someone he never met, and he makes a point with most of his crimes to have some grand social purpose, even if the social purpose is dumb and doesn't actually help anyone.

Eh, you don't have to care about people personally to want to save them and be a hero. Just look at Endeavour! Gentle pursues noble goals because he wants to set up his big antihero persona so he can follow his "legendary hero" ambition while on a villain's career path.

I'm going by his attitude toward cancelling UA's festival - he doesn't care even slightly how much distress he'd cause to the kids, and isn't at all moved by Izuku talking about Eri's situation. He just doesn't care, because none of that factors into being a Big Hero.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

ExiledTinkerer posted:

You'd think Gentle would've went the Vigilante route if anything, doubly if his main problem was hurting people with his Quirk rather than helping*. Silver Pimpernel or some such.
Did this come out before the Vigilantes spin off? Maybe they hadn't thought of that route yet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

vigilantes had definitely started by now, iirc our first look at the quirk boosting drug we see in the overhaul arc was actually in the first couple of chapters of vigilantes

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ExiledTinkerer posted:

You'd think Gentle would've went the Vigilante route if anything, doubly if his main problem was hurting people with his Quirk rather than helping*.

Silver Pimpernel or some such.

If he actually saved that guy I think he would have.

But botching the rescue to the point of causing severe injury and the fallout from that probably did a number on his emotional and mental health.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

I think people were extending "it would be a real big embarrassment to UA, who already look like clowns" to "it could lead to UA shutting down" and from there to "it would lead to UA shutting down."

Yeah, their reputation is already in question after the USJ and Sumer Camp attacks, if some youtuber clown managed to get past all of their defences and cause a ruckus, it would have destroyed their reputation.

That's assuming they would have actually made it that far without Deku stopping them. They very well could have just been nabbed by Hound Dog before they got too close, but then the festival would have been called off and Eri would be sad, which would be worse than the school closing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Eh, you don't have to care about people personally to want to save them and be a hero. Just look at Endeavour! Gentle pursues noble goals because he wants to set up his big antihero persona so he can follow his "legendary hero" ambition while on a villain's career path.

I'm going by his attitude toward cancelling UA's festival - he doesn't care even slightly how much distress he'd cause to the kids, and isn't at all moved by Izuku talking about Eri's situation. He just doesn't care, because none of that factors into being a Big Hero.

I'd say it's more accurate that Gentle is someone who can justify his crimes to himself so they don't bother him. At his core it is about realising his dream of becoming a great man of history but you can see the pattern. He only commits crimes that he can justify as anti-heroism, he avoids violence and confrontation as much as he can and when La Brava expresses concern over crashing the festival he claims that he's doing it to give the school a wake up call which will obviously help them in the end! He pursues his dream but he does so in as gentlemanly a way as possible because he isn't really a bad person and doesn't want to hurt anyone.

When Deku does bring up that he's going to ruin the efforts and joy of all the students his justification this time is that his dream isn't just his own anymore and that he owes it to La Brava to succeed. Rather than the abstract happiness of a bunch of people he's never met or doesn't have any context for (Eri), La Brava actually is someone he cares a lot about and he really does want to justify her belief in him. By the end of the fight though he realises that La Brava truly is the most important thing to him, more than his dream, and he finally makes the right choice to take responsibility and protect her as much as he can.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I believe in Gentle.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

1-A needs to expand their rogues gallery and Gentle is just the kind of villain they need.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I know anime is weird about characters' ages but lol I can't believe that Gentle and La Brava are both apparently in their 20's

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pakled posted:

I know anime is weird about characters' ages but lol I can't believe that Gentle and La Brava are both apparently in their 20's

gentle's 32 actually, and he'd look it if he didn't have naturally grey hair and dressed like a normal dude

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
my local cinema (located in the middle of nowhere, Australia) is showing Heroes Rising tomorrow

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Gentle was going to let that steel beam fall on that guy, don’t believe the lies

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Gentle was going to let that steel beam fall on that guy, don’t believe the lies

What was that dude doing wandering into an active movie shoot, what the heck dude.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I do wonder what exactly Gentle's plan was, should he succeeded no problems. "Behold, it is I! Gentle Criminal! I have infiltrated your open to the public (i think?) festival! Bwa ha ha! Okay, I am going to walk out now! Farewell!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I do wonder what exactly Gentle's plan was, should he succeeded no problems. "Behold, it is I! Gentle Criminal! I have infiltrated your open to the public (i think?) festival! Bwa ha ha! Okay, I am going to walk out now! Farewell!"

yes that is probably exactly what he would have done

along with telling viewers to like and subscribe

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

He's gonna post on Youtube about how these bozos just let a villain come in wow what losers

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

UA HIGH SCHOOL INFILTRATION ft. ALL MIGHT (500 Sub Special!!!)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

24 HOUR UA HIGH INFILTRATION CHALLENGE

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It wasn't open to the public this year because of the previous villain attacks.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah his plan was to boast that he circumvented the security of the legendary UA at its height, to show off just how capable he is and be personally responsible for all of the consequences to UA's reputation and students.

He didn't have plans to do anything in particular while there; he had no problem with the students themselves and intended to make it out again so presumably didn't want to get into a fight. I'd assume the intention would be for UA to only find out someone got in through his videos.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

yes that is probably exactly what he would have done

along with telling viewers to like and subscribe

Plus some kind of daring escape. That's the plan anyways, what probably would have happened though, is that the minute he'd make himself known to the school, him and La Brava woukd get jumped by a bunch of teachers(including Aizawa who would just turn off their quirks) and get the tar beat out of them while the rest of the school is driven into a panic because villains infiltrated the school again. All while a very distressed Eri is caught in the middle of everything.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Gotta say I didn't expect la brava's origin story to be identical to many goons'.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I figured the subs wouldn't be able to show that La Brava isn't a kid because it's pretty clear in Japanese (the book next to her when she's in depressive mode on her computer is her high school yearbook). Surprised they left in her line that indicated she was considering suicide.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that, as relatively "squeaky clean" a reputation as WSJ tries to keep, this is the same magazine that's currently publishing Kimetsu no Yaiba (which absolutely doesn't shy away from some wanton cruelty) and Chainsawman which is like if Carcass went back to playing grindcore nowadays or if In Flames ditched the buttrock and went back to playing Lunar Strain-caliber material. Hell, MHA ain't afraid of doing some :gibs:ing of its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Blood 'n guts is different because parental abuse or suicide from social isolation are far, far more relatable to the average reader.