Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The goodass October festivals are in Kansai and Shikoku.

Nada Fighting Festival
Himeji, Hyogo Oct 14-15
https://www.nadamatsuri.jp/index.html

Sakai Autumn Festival
Sakai, Osaka 3rd Week of October
https://taiken.co/single/sakai-matsuri-sakais-1600s-heritage-festival/

Kishiwada Danjiri
Kishiwada, Osaka Mid Sept & Mid Oct
https://ohmatsuri.com/en/articles/osaka-danjiri-matsuri-1

Saijo Sake Festival (Hiroshima)
Saijo, Hiroshima 2nd Weekend of October?
http://www.saijomatsuri.jp/english/

Saijo Autumn Festival (Ehime)
Saijo, Ehime Oct 13-16
http://www.saijomatsuri.jp/english/

Niihama Taiko Matsuri
Niihama, Ehime Oct 16-18
https://ohmatsuri.com/en/articles/ehime-niihama-taiko

peanut fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

harperdc posted:

I mean that's like asking "yo what's good in New York City," Tokyo has at least two of everything and tons of touristy poo poo. I mean we just gave out some arcade locations and mentioned Akihabara multiple times on this page, otherwise the ultimate fallback plan is getting beers/chuhai at a convenience store and chilling in a public park. go browse a bit and see if anything strikes your fancy.

October is good, the weather is nice (except when typhoons come through).

not many good festival-rear end festivals, but there might still be some tsukimi (moon watching, though more of a September thing). also yeah check the hot spring list because more and more are realizing 1. foreigners have money 2. some of them might have ink but they're still alright people.

I think so far our plans are: Look at nerdy stuff in Akihibara, drink in Shinjoku, Disney Sealand, some weird digital art exhibit, robot restaurant and various animal cafes, take a trip to kyoto, see giant gundam, find some arcades, hopefully go to a hotspring. Not an exhaustive list yet, we'll be there for 2 weeks so any suggestions that aren't typical touristy places are really appreciated (we've started watching a bunch of vlogs/looking at websites with the main touristy stuff).

peanut posted:

The goodass October festivals are in Kansai and Shikoku. I'll post more later.

gently caress yeah. I've looked up a bunch of interesting looking touristy locations but festival information isn't as easy to find. How practical is it traveling to these places for day trips from Tokyo?

Nanigans posted:

I went in October last year and mostly had a great time going around eating, visiting shrines and temples, parks, shopping, and museums. Honestly, it's best to do plenty of planning but still be realistic that you may not see/do everything you want. Also plan to have plenty of time between your main destinations for diversions and other stuff that piques your interest along the way.

Lastly, October is mostly fine for weather, but we did almost get stranded there when Typhoon Hagibis (aka the biggest typhoon since the 1950s) hit Japan. So if possible, plan for late October.

We're vegetarian and I'm terrified its going to be hard to eat.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I think so far our plans are: Look at nerdy stuff in Akihibara, drink in Shinjoku, Disney Sealand, some weird digital art exhibit, robot restaurant and various animal cafes, take a trip to kyoto, see giant gundam, find some arcades, hopefully go to a hotspring. Not an exhaustive list yet, we'll be there for 2 weeks so any suggestions that aren't typical touristy places are really appreciated (we've started watching a bunch of vlogs/looking at websites with the main touristy stuff).

The Gundam (and fake Statue of Liberty!) can be knocked off at the same time as TeamLab Borderless, they’re all out at Odaiba, so that’s a morning or afternoon plan there.

The classic easy hot spring day trip is out to Hakone, but if you go by bullet train, Atami is also a good option that’s about as close.

It’s always good to wander around some neighborhoods and explore too, Shibuya and Harajuku are perfect for this, so is Shinjuku.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Martytoof posted:

Ugh, I’m slowly coming to grips with the fact that I will likely postpone my May trip. Stinks, since it was the only thing keeping me sane with crazy work stuff going on.

Tentatively looking early to mid October now, but my AirBnB selection sucks again :sigh:

I have about a month until I have to make a decision on existing travel before I incur any non-trivial cancellation expenses, but my crystal ball seems to be malfunctioning :|

I'm rebooking my flights sometime soon. WHO just declared this a pandemic and urged the world to stop trying to stop it and focus more on treating those who are sick.

Like either a trip in May is going to be lit and a once in a lifetime experience or it's going to be a hellish nightmare... or it's going to be just like every other trip you've had?

:corona:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I phrased that badly. I’m clearly going to reschedule but mentally I’ve prepared myself for my time away from the office so much that it’s pretty crushing to have to pull the trigger, tbh.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ok we’re going to Matsusakagyu Yakiniku in Dotonbori for lunch unless someone comes through with a better suggestion.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I phrased that badly. I’m clearly going to reschedule but mentally I’ve prepared myself for my time away from the office so much that it’s pretty crushing to have to pull the trigger, tbh.

Yeah, this happened to me Tuesday of last week. I took Monday off and get riggity-riggity-wrecked on Sunday with one of the dudes I was going to go with.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

gently caress yeah. I've looked up a bunch of interesting looking touristy locations but festival information isn't as easy to find. How practical is it traveling to these places for day trips from Tokyo?

From Tokyo? Don't bother. You can theoretically go to Osaka as a day trip but it's going to cost you almost 300 bucks and it's still a 2.5 hour ride even on the Nozomi.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Martytoof posted:

Do what you gotta do, but if you can self-quarantine and work from home when you get back... (it's still 8 weeks out and I'm ride or dyin' it)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Phone posted:

Do what you gotta do, but if you can self-quarantine and work from home when you get back... (it's still 8 weeks out and I'm ride or dyin' it)

At this point I feel it is far less about the ability to self quarantine and far more about the potential that you will lose the capacity to travel back home. I have serious reservations that if I can make it to Japan I will be able to return to hone because I have a layover in the United States and the US just barred all flights from Europe.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

KidDynamite posted:

Thanks for the arcade suggestions y’all! Wife wants some beef in Osaka we have a good size budget but it doesn’t have to break the bank ya know. Also I want to eat at least 8oz of beef I’m over having amazing taste and the it being gone so quickly. Can anyone come through with an awesome recommendation?

Wolfgang's Steakhouse in Lucua 1100 if you're lookin for Western tastes or Suehiro south of the Dai1/2 Building for a more Japanese bent. Both are in Umeda.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Uh... lol. Look up where those two areas are. Definitely not day trips, but with two weeks in Japan, you might want to visit Kyoto and/or Osaka, which are in Kansai.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Short answer: Do you know what dashi is? The cooking stock made partly by boiling dried fish shavings? If you're okay with that being a base ingredient in your food (that you typically won't taste), then it's easy enough. If not, then it can get a bit difficult, as like all Japanese food is made with it. Still, not impossible.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 12, 2020

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I'm not asking you to put your moral values on hold but it will help you if you can accept that there will be

1. Fish/animal based products that you'll probably eat unknowingly
2. That sometimes the food you order may just have a small amount of meat in it (like minced meat).
3. If you accept a small amount of meat/fish, your options open up dramatically. (see 2)

Then you will find it a lot easier. It's not hard to be 90% vegetarian - it's the last 10% that's a bitch. As for being vegan, well, that is just a bitch all around (but not impossible).

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Just get fruit sandwiches at a combini and then corn and mayo conveyor belt sushi for dinner.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I just effortsearched some festivals for my post at the top of this page but just go to https://ohmatsuri.com/en/ and search by your travel dates.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
We had a trip to Tokyo and Seoul in May, and the Seoul section of the flights just canceled. But I got a refund and a free change to the Tokyo section. Since our hotel is non refundable I’m just gonna play it by ear and decide closer to the day. Two months away is a lot of time for it to get worse or better. Please get better I’ve wanted to go to japan for years :(

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Ok we’re going to Matsusakagyu Yakiniku in Dotonbori for lunch unless someone comes through with a better suggestion.

We went here it was loving awesome. The place was so empty that the floor manager sat and cooked for us for quite a while. Had a really nice conversation with him. Turns out we were the only customers for lunch service. The staff came out and took pictures with us afterwords and asked us to post on social media about them. It was a cool time but also sobering because I can't imagine what smaller businesses are going through during this time.

Kyukyoku bi sankakubara is insanely good.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Since we already have a whole bunch of Corona cases in Sweden by now, including the areas where I live, commute (by mass transit) and work, I am thinking I might as well take advantage of the low prices and do a week in Tokyo in April.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Bofast posted:

Since we already have a whole bunch of Corona cases in Sweden by now, including the areas where I live, commute (by mass transit) and work, I am thinking I might as well take advantage of the low prices and do a week in Tokyo in April.

Spread it around good idea

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Shammypants posted:

Spread it around good idea

I obviously wouldn't go if I had even the slightest suspicion that I (or anyone I know) might be infected :rolleyes:

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bofast posted:

I obviously wouldn't go if I had even the slightest suspicion that I (or anyone I know) might be infected :rolleyes:

And you know you’re not.... how?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

And you know you’re not.... how?

Like everyone who has not recently been tested negative, I don't. I can only guess based on the lack of symptoms.
Things may have changed by the time April rolls around, in which case I'll just cancel.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How is the infection count in Japan so low? poo poo is growing exponentially in Europe and the US but in Japan it seems to have settled down? Is it just the lack of testing kits and the government wanting to keep a low profile on it due to the Olympics?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The numbers are bullshit is how.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Busy Bee posted:

Is it just the lack of testing kits and the government wanting to keep a low profile on it due to the Olympics?

yes

also conspiracy theory that abe wants olds to die to prop up the average age/population stuff, but i don't know that i buy into that

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

yes

also conspiracy theory that abe wants olds to die to prop up the average age/population stuff, but i don't know that i buy into that

That theory would flush a bunch of municipalities down the drain and ruin his base in the small towns, so yeah, don’t really buy it.

But Japan is almost as bad as the US re: having it’s head in the sand.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Indolent Bastard posted:

At this point I feel it is far less about the ability to self quarantine and far more about the potential that you will lose the capacity to travel back home. I have serious reservations that if I can make it to Japan I will be able to return to hone because I have a layover in the United States and the US just barred all flights from Europe.

Here’s how to get home: https://www.freightercruises.com

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Ghibli Museum refunded our tickets. So that’s another day in Tokyo open for us. Going to have to come back to japan just to do all the things we missed this time.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bofast posted:

the bigger issue is your bringing it back to Sweden as Japan probably has cases in the 10s of thousands at least and no one is being tested.

Busy Bee posted:

How is the infection count in Japan so low? poo poo is growing exponentially in Europe and the US but in Japan it seems to have settled down? Is it just the lack of testing kits and the government wanting to keep a low profile on it due to the Olympics?

know how everyone said China was faking numbers and their reports were following some basic mathematical progression? Well now like every other country on earth has like almost exactly the same infection rate as China except Japan which is weirdly low.

Basically, if China faked their numbers they at least had the decency to fake it with a model that had some semblance of logic, whereas Japan is just going "wow sure aren't a lot of cases here gee whiz!!!"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

KidDynamite posted:

Ghibli Museum refunded our tickets. So that’s another day in Tokyo open for us. Going to have to come back to japan just to do all the things we missed this time.

I always did this on purpose anyway: leave stuff to do for next time. Just makes the process of recovering from post travel depression bearable by planning your next trip :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Well, our authorities just started asking people not to go abroad unless really necessary, so Japan is not happening now. At least work is preparing for us to work from home for a month or two.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Galaxy brain: Work from a hotel in Japan

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lol United just canceled our flight home next week. These gigantic loving assholes.

Edit: we got them on the phone and are now flying out of Narita instead of Haneda and to EWR which is 15 away from home instead of JFK which is like an hour + from home. So everything came up us.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 15, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

heckin bittersweet

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

lol United just canceled our flight home next week. These gigantic loving assholes.

Edit: we got them on the phone and are now flying out of Narita instead of Haneda and to EWR which is 15 away from home instead of JFK which is like an hour + from home. So everything came up us.

Alternatively don't fly home because America will soon be the worst place in the world for COVID19 most likely.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeah I'm torn over whether I should have taken my flight and let myself get stranded in Japan for the end of the world rather than hell USA.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Alternatively don't fly home because America will soon be the worst place in the world for COVID19 most likely.

uk will be worse, at the very least

they aren't even trying to fight it

e: if i manage to get to my flight over i'll happily be stranded if need be though

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

I haven't been able to sell my wife on this, but tweets and pictures from the major airports are helping.

Edit: also we have cats and while they have a great sitter I miss my babies.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

mikeycp posted:

uk will be worse, at the very least

they aren't even trying to fight it

e: if i manage to get to my flight over i'll happily be stranded if need be though

Yeah also very possible, though I would think it could be a toss-up given that the UK at least arguably has a more functional healthcare system and more people who aren’t going to go way out of their way to avoid getting treatment and be spreading the disease the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah also very possible, though I would think it could be a toss-up given that the UK at least arguably has a more functional healthcare system and more people who aren’t going to go way out of their way to avoid getting treatment and be spreading the disease the whole time.

stories people have been telling me point to them having just as large a percentage of idiots who'll shake hands to prove a point.

either way it's a close 3-way contest between us, uk, and japan imo