Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

shovelbum posted:

So everyone's out at the bars and poo poo, if this is a society level thing and I'm not high risk is there any reason to be a sad one man social distancing

One man social distancing himself can be the difference between a senior citizen, or someone else at high risk, living or dying because of this. You’re doing the right thing, and you’re a good person for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sweet thursday posted:

I don't understand what herd immunity even has to do with it when the plan involves a bunch of people getting sick all at once. And having everyone get sick all at once is the real danger, not necessarily dying of corona
Boris Johnson is a huge moron and doesn't give a poo poo since he just got handed a huge mandate in the December election

Any doctor that is not a crank will tell you that it takes time to develop herd immunity and exposing an entire country to a virus that they have no natural immunity for is going to be a huge disaster

When this is all over we need to put US/UK leaders on trial for negligent homicide

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

shovelbum posted:

So everyone's out at the bars and poo poo, if this is a society level thing and I'm not high risk is there any reason to be a sad one man social distancing

Those people are treating this thing like a joke and have no idea how viruses work and think they're fine as long as there aren't hordes of people coughing and sneezing.

Considering how insanely anemic testing has been, chances are high that the infection has spread to a far greater degree than we know, you're better off at home until a week or two from now when symptoms will start appearing for current infections.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Don't know about everyone's at the bars and poo poo... at least where I am, downtown Montreal was loving deserted this saturday evening just passing through felt like a monday very late night.
Every now and then seeing someone wearing a face mask as an occasional reminder that things are just not loving normal.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

look. listen to what i say: wash your hands after touching your dick, or someone else's dick. wash your dick before you let someone else touch it.

that's it

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Mulaney Power Move posted:

look. listen to what i say: wash your hands after touching your dick, or someone else's dick. wash your dick before you let someone else touch it.

that's it

Please, let's not panic and get irrational. For the time being there's no confirmation that we should wash our dicks.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

shovelbum posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-what-does-social-distancing-mean/607927/

This is a pretty solid guide.

My wife and I got coffee and a quick bite to eat while our car was serviced today at a cafe. We opted to sit in the back corner far away from everyone and it seemed like the waitstaff was smart about keeping their distance. Other than that, grocery store, liquor store, home.

But if you're going to bars and poo poo, especially if you're in a city with known cases, you're pretty loving dumb.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Those people are treating this thing like a joke and have no idea how viruses work and think they're fine as long as there aren't hordes of people coughing and sneezing.

Considering how insanely anemic testing has been, chances are high that the infection has spread to a far greater degree than we know, you're better off at home until a week or two from now when symptoms will start appearing for current infections.
The head of the department of health in Ohio said earlier this week that their conservative estimate was that 1% of the state already had the virus, which is like 100K people.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Handsome Ralph posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-what-does-social-distancing-mean/607927/

This is a pretty solid guide.

My wife and I got coffee and a quick bite to eat while our car was serviced today at a cafe. We opted to sit in the back corner far away from everyone and it seemed like the waitstaff was smart about keeping their distance. Other than that, grocery store, liquor store, home.

But if you're going to bars and poo poo, especially if you're in a city with known cases, you're pretty loving dumb.

Even though it's almost midnight, lots of the highways around NYC should still be stuffed with cars, and looking at Google Maps they're all just dead....

Except of course for the GW bridge, which will never ever not have traffic it seems.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-2-03-15-20-intl-hnk/h_c934bf6c534a95fddb769a709704ec30

quote:

Five hour lines in Chicago: Katherine Rogers arrived at Chicago's O'Hare International Airport after flying in from Paris and through London. At O'Hare, she has been in line for a mandatory coronavirus screening for five hours -- and is told there's an hour left to go.

Ann Lewis Schmidt says she flew into O'Hare from Iceland, and has been in line for an-hour-and-a-half.

"Very close quarters," Schmidt said. "So if we didn’t have the virus before, we have a great chance of getting it now!"

"They didn't have pens and told us to share," she says. "Which sounds like a great thing in the middle of the pandemic."

This country is beyond dumb.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Handsome Ralph posted:

it seemed like the waitstaff was smart about keeping their distance.

How did they do that?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is going for a jog an acceptable form of social distancing? Running helps clear my head and will help pass the hours and days of any eventual quarantine, but I'm seeing some other countries not wanting people out of their homes unless absolutely necessary.

I typically pass other people on the road but I rarely if ever interact with them.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hobo Clown posted:

Is going for a jog an acceptable form of social distancing? Running helps clear my head and will help pass the hours and days of any eventual quarantine, but I'm seeing some other countries not wanting people out of their homes unless absolutely necessary.

I typically pass other people on the road but I rarely if ever interact with them.

don't touch your dick (it's dangerous)

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Yes you can go for a jog. You can go outside, walk the dog, whatever. Just wash your hands / shower / change clothes / wash your clothes when you get home.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Rinkles posted:

How did they do that?

They literally stood like 5-6 feet away from us taking our orders and practically dropped our orders off, backed up and then asked if we needed anything else before walking away. Also everyone was wearing gloves.

Hobo Clown posted:

Depends. If you're like running on a city street, probably not the best idea but if it's a trail or something similar, likely fine for now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

shovelbum posted:

I went to Japan right as poo poo hit the fan there, I had a 10 hour layover in Seattle on the way home and decided against my original plan to spend time downtown and chose to isolate myself in a corner in the airport the entire time instead. Haven't left my house since returning home Sunday night. So I know at least I did what I could to stop spreading it, I've got a number of people in my life who are in the high risk demographic as well as my neighbourhood having a lot of retirees and I don't want to expose any of them.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
All my tinder dates keep bailing and it is making it very hard to enjoy the end of the world. :sigh:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Rime posted:

All my tinder dates keep bailing and it is making it very hard to enjoy the end of the world. :sigh:

I'm here

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poz my neg hole. NOOOoooo I didn't mean my nose!!!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Piratin some games and tv shows right now, getting ready for the quarantine :twisted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72QAAOaYW2M

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

amethystbliss posted:

CDC is recommending closures of at least 8 weeks. I’m wondering if my kids will even go back. Graduation and senior prom are cancelled. I know it’s ultimately a good thing, but definitely bittersweet that my kid won’t experience that.

His school serves breakfast and lunch. My sister can afford to feed her kids 3 meals a day, but there is a non-zero chance some of his classmates are going to go hungry.

He's also only 4, so yeah. Walking germ-bomb at the best of time, and they're really not missing much. It just all seems so crazy

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Handsome Ralph posted:

Depends. If you're like running on a city street, probably not the best idea but if it's a trail or something similar, likely fine for now.

it's not a miasma of disease blanketing the city, all you have to do is stay like 5-6' away from other people. imagine stretching your arms out and not being able to touch other people with their arms stretched out.

if the number of people on the street is high enough that you can't keep distance from them, it's probably not a great environment for jogging in the first place.

anyways the streets in my small city today were emptier than many nature trails I've walked

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Klyith posted:

it's not a miasma of disease blanketing the city, all you have to do is stay like 5-6' away from other people. imagine stretching your arms out and not being able to touch other people with their arms stretched out.

if the number of people on the street is high enough that you can't keep distance from them, it's probably not a great environment for jogging in the first place.

anyways the streets in my small city today were emptier than many nature trails I've walked

Yeah but I'm on his city streets chasing after him my arms like blades cutting through the air T-1000 style at full sprint so I can cough directly into his mouth.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Klyith posted:

yeah, worry about touching hard surfaces others have touched, breathing recirced air in a confined space, or being closer than ~2m from people. if jogging violates those constraints then your jogging path is different from mine

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

What are we supposed to be looking at here

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Klyith posted:

Yeah that's fair. I'm just used to running in DC where sometimes the sidewalk is pretty clear, other times it's crowded as hell.

Funk In Shoe
Apr 20, 2008

Waiting in line, Mr. Haydon told me it is a wheel not meant for lovers but for infants, lifting people and letting them swing, putting the world on display from up high

Bronze Fonz posted:

Please, let's not panic and get irrational. For the time being there's no confirmation that we should wash our dicks.

I am not going to wash my dick

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

if you're not raiding, you aren't paying attention

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Bronze Fonz posted:

Don't know about everyone's at the bars and poo poo... at least where I am, downtown Montreal was loving deserted this saturday evening just passing through felt like a monday very late night.
Every now and then seeing someone wearing a face mask as an occasional reminder that things are just not loving normal.

I wonder if Canada may just be doing better with distancing. BC ferries is cancelling many ferries due to low passenger loads, and last time I grabbed take out, the restaurant was empty except for me and runners grabbing Skip The Dishes orders.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

Yeah there's a number of bars on my block and tonight and last night were sliiightly less people but still mostly full. :shrug:

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

Ultraklystron posted:

I wonder if Canada may just be doing better with distancing. BC ferries is cancelling many ferries due to low passenger loads, and last time I grabbed take out, the restaurant was empty except for me and runners grabbing Skip The Dishes orders.

If fuckin' Hochelaga grocery stores are going through panic buying mode, then Canada is definitely going through overcautious mode.
Quebec premier officially forbad all hospital and elderly care center visits as of today, saturday 14th, and strongly urged anyone over 70 to stay home.

e: Downtown Montreal was dead and deserted, usually this time of year and with this beautiful weather it would be full of teeming life just jumping on the opportunity of going out with near-spring weather and saturday night activity everywhere.
It was appropriately apocalypse empty streets and sidewalks.

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 15, 2020

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
There was a SA group doing F@H back in the day, like group 150 or 350 or some other early number.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Pro tip for anyone tryna snack safely: Pour your cheez its into a pint glass

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We went to a party and when we got there we found out it had been cancelled and we didn't get the memo.

However, our host theorized that since we were the only ones, the unacceptable large gathering had changed to an acceptable small gathering so we sat apart and made a dent in the two trays of brownies I had made. It was nice :)

The only mood altering chemical is chocolate, but there's a lot of it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yeah but I'm on his city streets chasing after him my arms like blades cutting through the air T-1000 style at full sprint so I can cough directly into his mouth.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Staying at a hotel after picking up possible plague carrying foreigners from the airport. I might be doomed but at least I can pinch two rolls of TP before checkout.

E: can also confirm Canadian cities less busy. Some popular bars are instituting 80% max capacity rules, periodically spraying down bathrooms with disinfectant and asking patrons not to share appetizers. Brave measures indeed.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 15, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Universe Master posted:

You can probably jerk off with sanitizer.

You can pretty easily but it's not recommended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

theres not much you cant jerk off with