Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

IUG posted:

Does it help if you know it's being used wrong? If those are self-winding watches, they basically have a pendulum that you spin while you wear it. But if you have the face of the watch parallel to the ground, spinning them that way doesn't do anything to the pendulum.

Huh, I never noticed that, I thought it was just the light shining off the watches, not them moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Feels like that works given the start of the movie strongly emphasises he's got way more money than sense.

Also did like that they resisted the urge to make his origin tie in with something and emphasised the car accident is entirely his own drat fault. The credits even have a warning against reckless driving.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Feels like that works given the start of the movie strongly emphasises he's got way more money than sense.

Also did like that they resisted the urge to make his origin tie in with something and emphasised the car accident is entirely his own drat fault. The credits even have a warning against reckless driving.

I guarantee the sequel will retcon that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HopperUK posted:

Michael Crichton killed Ian Malcolm in the first Jurassic Park book and then brought him back to life for the sequel. I assume it's because of the movie and Goldblum and all but I haven't checked, I just remember being mad about it as a kid.

They brought back freakin' Muldoon in the JP comic books after his big dramatic "Clever girl" death in the movie where the raptors tore him apart.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Baron von Eevl posted:

I guarantee the sequel will retcon that.

What makes you say that?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In The Last Samurai, Tom Cruise is a fish out of water character that *has to have things explained to him* so the exposition from the protagonist played by Ken Wantanabe feels more natural.

e; *
He can't read.

MariusLecter has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Mar 15, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Eh! Frank posted:

What makes you say that?

Because it's the sort of hack poo poo marvel loves to do.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baron von Eevl posted:

Because it's the sort of hack poo poo marvel loves to do.

I assume you have examples of retcons that aren't minor continuity errors?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Memento posted:

I assume you have examples of retcons that aren't minor continuity errors?

Does the senator who has legitimate reasons to dislike Tony Stark turning out to be a Hydra agent count?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone 'like' Tony Stark? Even Captain America doesn't like him and Captain America likes everyone.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does anyone 'like' Tony Stark? Even Captain America doesn't like him and Captain America likes everyone.

The MCU scriptwriters.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

rydiafan posted:

Does the senator who has legitimate reasons to dislike Tony Stark turning out to be a Hydra agent count?

I don’t understand why that would be considered a retcon, both things could have always been true and it wouldn’t change anything.

The biggest retcon in the entire MCU imo is when Ultron revealed that Loki’s Scepter always contained the Mind Stone within it, which actually makes even more sense from a “how this world works” perspective but it makes 2012 Thanos look reeeeaaal dumb.

Promoted Pawn has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Mar 15, 2020

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They're not really retcons but wasn't there a "this character was actually there at this scene you watched in the other movie" thing with a reporter in iron man 3 that Tony had brushed off in an older movie? There's also Jake Gyllenhall's villain origin story being a scene from civil war, and the whole thing about "your parents were MURDERED by winter soldier!" reveal in that same movie.

It's totally in line with their practices to have a new villain show up for this movie and have them reveal that they caused the accident.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Made some sense given Winter Soldier is implied to have been deployed on tons of horrible things, including assassinations, that Bucky doesn't really remember. Pretty sure he shot JFK, despite Magneto's best efforts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Baron von Eevl posted:

They're not really retcons but wasn't there a "this character was actually there at this scene you watched in the other movie" thing with a reporter in iron man 3 that Tony had brushed off in an older movie? There's also Jake Gyllenhall's villain origin story being a scene from civil war, and the whole thing about "your parents were MURDERED by winter soldier!" reveal in that same movie.

It's totally in line with their practices to have a new villain show up for this movie and have them reveal that they caused the accident.

Similarly not quite retcons, but I've seen a decent amount of people genuinely angry that so much of the MCU's Spider-Man, including his villains, all just become extensions and repercussions of the rest of the MCU, mainly Tony Stark.

And I think that's a pretty fair complaint. Peter doesn't even get an Uncle Ben this time, his entire character is essentially reacting to Tony Stark's presence, actions, and eventual absence. He doesn't actually get any of the things that really make him Spider-Man.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The 2008 Incredible Hulk film has a mid-credits sequence where Tony Stark approaches General Ross in a bar and says "We're putting a team together" which was obviously a reference to the Avengers, but in subsequent films it turned out that General Ross had absolutely nothing to do with the formation of the Avengers.

In 2011 they released a MCU short called "The Consultant" with the Thor BluRay which showed Agent Coulson and Agent Sitwell complaining that the World Security Council had ordered SHIELD to include The Abomination in the Avengers even though he was totally unsuited for the team and they now had to get General Ross to release him to them, so they came up with a plan of sending Tony Stark to make the request because they knew that Ross hated Stark's guts so much that he'd refuse just to spite him.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkteut

Cleretic posted:

Similarly not quite retcons, but I've seen a decent amount of people genuinely angry that so much of the MCU's Spider-Man, including his villains, all just become extensions and repercussions of the rest of the MCU, mainly Tony Stark.

And I think that's a pretty fair complaint. Peter doesn't even get an Uncle Ben this time, his entire character is essentially reacting to Tony Stark's presence, actions, and eventual absence. He doesn't actually get any of the things that really make him Spider-Man.

They also retconned it so that the kid in the Iron Man mask who gets targeted by Hammer's drones in Iron Man 2 was actually a young Peter Parker, but they just confirmed that in interviews and didn't put it in a movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7JPI1RTR2M

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I love that old image of Tom Hiddleston in full Loki costume playing with a young child dressed like Iron Man. :3:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Cleretic posted:

That's because Tony Stark is Uncle Ben this time.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

The ultimate retcon

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, but by the point that Spiderman became part of the MCU there had already been five other Spiderman movies from 2002 onwards. I was honestly rather glad that MCU Spiderman was skipping over all the typical Spiderman beats.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BioEnchanted posted:

I love that old image of Tom Hiddleston in full Loki costume playing with a young child dressed like Iron Man. :3:

I had a quick look to see if I could find it but there's literally hundreds of photos of Tom Hiddleston playing with kids :allears:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Khizan posted:

Yeah, but by the point that Spiderman became part of the MCU there had already been five other Spiderman movies from 2002 onwards. I was honestly rather glad that MCU Spiderman was skipping over all the typical Spiderman beats.

Spider-Verse was basically the only Spider-man movie that they COULD make after that, and getting all meta about it was probably the right idea. Also, it's really good and you should watch it.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I don't know if you guys just aren't paying attention, or...?

But it's very heavily implied that Peter did have an Uncle Ben who did, in fact, die tragically. And that Ben's death did influence Peter's decision to become a hero. Maybe not in exactly the same way as he did in the comics, but there are serious hints throughout the MCU Spider-Man movies wrt this.

I'm absolutely fine with them choosing to not re-hash that poo poo again and again on screen. And I'm fine with the ties to Iron Man.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

newts posted:

I don't know if you guys just aren't paying attention, or...?

But it's very heavily implied that Peter did have an Uncle Ben who did, in fact, die tragically. And that Ben's death did influence Peter's decision to become a hero. Maybe not in exactly the same way as he did in the comics, but there are serious hints throughout the MCU Spider-Man movies wrt this.

I'm absolutely fine with them choosing to not re-hash that poo poo again and again on screen. And I'm fine with the ties to Iron Man.

Yes I know this I’m saying the themes generally explored by Uncle Ben’s death are further explored in these movies by using Tony as a substitute for Ben himself

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So Peter Parker means death to all father figures?

Poor Happy.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Krispy Wafer posted:

So Peter Parker means death to all father figures?

Poor Happy.

I would imagine Jon favreu’s pay scale will keep him safe in the MCU for a good long time

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yes I know this I’m saying the themes generally explored by Uncle Ben’s death are further explored in these movies by using Tony as a substitute for Ben himself

Well, I'm not sure I agree with that. Tony (and especially Tony's death) seems to be serving a different purpose than Ben's death. I think Tony's death has more of an influence on what kind of hero Peter wants to be, rather than should he be a hero at all. I don't know... maybe that's a subtle distinction, but it feels different enough to me to be interesting.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I had a quick look to see if I could find it but there's literally hundreds of photos of Tom Hiddleston playing with kids :allears:

He's such a dork and I love it

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The reason they tied MCU Peter Parker to Tony Stark was to make it harder for Sony to take their ball home :v:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'll be that poster and point out that Bucky's murder of Tony's parents is given away in Winter Soldier, during the sequence with Cap and Natasha talking to Arnim Zola's tapedeck ghost. So it doesn't just pop up in Civil War. That's why when Tony asks Steve if he'd already known it, Steve says yes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khizan posted:

Same, that was a giant relief. It’s one of those things where you can just assume everyone knows Spider-Man’s deal.

I have no idea when the Batman movies will learn that lesson, I am so sick of seeing the Waynes get shot in an alley.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Pilchenstein posted:

The reason they tied MCU Peter Parker to Tony Stark was to make it harder for Sony to take their ball home :v:

I would think it gives Sony more room to make demands because it feels like they set Peter up to be important to the future

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Len posted:

I would think it gives Sony more room to make demands because it feels like they set Peter up to be important to the future

Yeah, it’s no accident that MCU decided to end a spiderman movie on a cliffhanger and then Sony’s all like “let’s renegotiate this deal”

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel were the ones who wanted to change the terms.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Marvel were the ones who wanted to change the terms.

Ya but still

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Same, that was a giant relief. It’s one of those things where you can just assume everyone knows Spider-Man’s deal.

I have no idea when the Batman movies will learn that lesson, I am so sick of seeing the Waynes get shot in an alley.

Hey, SOMEONE has to keep all those pearl necklace makers in business, and if it takes killing the Waynes every single batman movie, then dammit, we are gonna have that shot of the busted necklace and bouncing pearls!

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

If they ever show a picture of Uncle Ben or have a flashback, I really, really hope he's Jason Alexander. They need to have Jason Alexander and Marisa Tomei be together.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MichiganCubbie posted:

If they ever show a picture of Uncle Ben or have a flashback, I really, really hope he's Jason Alexander. They need to have Jason Alexander and Marisa Tomei be together.

You're going to have to explain this one to me

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Memento posted:

There's a Seinfeld episode where George finds out that he's exactly Marissa Tomei's type, and he wants to explore dating her, but he's engaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Memento posted:

It’s a brilliant notion and he doesn’t have to explain poo poo