Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

with the opt-out the data really isn't very dramatic stuff (the biggie is statistics on frequency of application use, for the usual legacy support reasons).

e: it is pretty interesting to sift through the stuff though, if one ups diagnostics it does spew a lot of stuff: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N8WTRRSQ8F7

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Severing posted:

Try Ubuntu (or Kubuntu) or a distro aimed at a newer user as it should set up the basics for you. The Nvidia driver can be enabled after install using the software tool and the software you listed can mostly if not completely be installed via its GUI software app.

Surprised that Mint didn't just work though. Have you tried this?

no, just no, everything in this post is stupid

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

munce posted:

Just built a new computer and discovered its too new to run win7. Dont want to use win10 so it looks like 2020 is the year of linux for me.

Any recommendations of which linux to try? Note I dont know anything about linux.

- Brand new computer- i7 cpu, ssd, nvidia gtx1660 super
- I want to use : Godot, unity3d, blender, gimp, audacity etc. Mostly gamedev and other programming, image/video editing. also play some games if possible but i know thats probably a stretch.
- Tried installing linux mint and it wont even see the video card. Driver manager doesn't show anything.

any advice appreciated

fedora, centos, debian are relatively sane choices

nvidia cards require proprietary drivers. installation method depends on distribution.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Matt Zerella posted:

replace the first letter of your name with a D.

lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe someone should hold a big 1-2 month long conference for people who are still using Windows 7 now?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m fine, linux users don’t get viruses :smug:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
install kubuntu

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

fedora, centos, debian are relatively sane choices

nvidia cards require proprietary drivers. installation method depends on distribution.

Centos? lol
Debian (for a new user)? lol

Just join us in the Arch master race and be done with it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

is centos stream on kernel version 5 yet

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

look if you're trying to use linux on the desktop you're already a doofus but you don't need to double down by saying it's because you'd prefer windows 7

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hifi posted:

:lmao:

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

hifi posted:

centos 8 is still on version 4 something. it's in awful shape in general and I absolutely don't recommend centos anymore.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Maximum Leader posted:

centos 8 is still on version 4 something. it's in awful shape in general and I absolutely don't recommend centos anymore.

what then, opensuse? i've decided that i dont really want anything besides security updates

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

centos 8 and linux 5.0 both came out in 2019

how quickly do you expect new kernels to be integrated into an enterprise distribution with a ten year lifecycle?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hifi posted:

what then, opensuse? i've decided that i dont really want anything besides security updates

you should use centos, or actually pay money for sles/rhel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Severing posted:

Just join us in the Arch master race and be done with it.

well, uh, at least it's not ubuntu, i guess

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm on centos 8 with the repo for the mainline kernel because it's apparently got powersaving bits that 4.x didn't

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
You should probably start with Gentoo or another source-based distribution. That is the simplest way to get very familiar with Linux. Alternatively, have you heard of GNU/Hurd? It's very secure because unlike Linux, where Wifi doesn't work, on Hurd networking doesn't work at all.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

klafbang posted:

You should probably start with Gentoo or another source-based distribution. That is the simplest way to get very familiar with Linux. Alternatively, have you heard of GNU/Hurd? It's very secure because unlike Linux, where Wifi doesn't work, on Hurd networking doesn't work at all.

are you ok?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

hifi posted:

I'd go with linux mint for ease of use, I'm sure the drivers could be fixed if you follow that advice someone posted previously or give it a quick google. arch is fine if you actually enjoy loving around with pointless linux things.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress mint, even vanilla ubuntu is better

go with fedora or ubuntu or opensuse, drop the derivatives (even tough ubuntu is technically one itself)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
install Fedora if you’re doing Linux because IBM owns Linux now and Fedora tracks their official releases

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Severing posted:

Arch master race

maybe you didn’t get the memo, we don’t use terms like this

Kalium
Sep 15, 2018

munce posted:

Just built a new computer and discovered its too new to run win7. Dont want to use win10 so it looks like 2020 is the year of linux for me.

Any recommendations of which linux to try? Note I dont know anything about linux.

- Brand new computer- i7 cpu, ssd, nvidia gtx1660 super
- I want to use : Godot, unity3d, blender, gimp, audacity etc. Mostly gamedev and other programming, image/video editing. also play some games if possible but i know thats probably a stretch.
- Tried installing linux mint and it wont even see the video card. Driver manager doesn't show anything.

any advice appreciated

I haven't personally used it and it's nothing special, but PopOS is known to handle Nvidia drivers well if you don't feel like wrangling them yourself. It's basically Ubuntu With More Features. Nvidia drivers aren't too hard but they're enough of a hassle that I wouldn't advise it for a beginner, and Pop OS has several other nice-to-have's for people who don't really want to Learn Linux just to do things.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Maximum Leader posted:

I'd go with linux mint for ease of use, I'm sure the drivers could be fixed if you follow that advice someone posted previously or give it a quick google. arch is fine if you actually enjoy loving around with pointless linux things.

:gb2gbs: you colossal idiot

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Kalium posted:

I haven't personally used it and it's nothing special, but PopOS is known to handle Nvidia drivers well if you don't feel like wrangling them yourself. It's basically Ubuntu With More Features. Nvidia drivers aren't too hard but they're enough of a hassle that I wouldn't advise it for a beginner, and Pop OS has several other nice-to-have's for people who don't really want to Learn Linux just to do things.

you can :gb2gbs: also

ubuntu is dogshit and should never be recommended to anyone. get a loving grip

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i cannot believe it is the year 2020 and i still routinely have to quote this post for white noise morons in the linux thread

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

The problem with Ubuntu isn't a matter of taste. It's not that I don't like Unity, or I have bad feelings about Shuttleworth, or that the logo doesn't agree with me. It's much more fundamental: The Ubuntu model for development is broken.

Ubuntu periodically forks Debian's "Unstable" tree (Debian's rolling release). Canonical, inc. works from that snapshot for six months, and then publishes a Ubuntu release.

Inside that Ubuntu release, there is a core of Canonical-supported packages. Canonical accepts bug reports for these packages. These packages receive updates for the supported lifetime of the release. Ubuntu's "core" is supported much the way that Debian or CentOS is.

The problem is that this core is only a fraction of the packages on the system. Ubuntu 14.04, the latest "long term support" release, contains 44378 packages. Only 8751 of them are in the supported part. The rest of the packages go into a separate repository, "Universe."

The packages in Universe, the missing 35 thousand packages, are six months old on release day. They've gone six months without updates or security patches. By the end of the release cycle, they're five and a half years out of date.

--

Shadowhawk will doubtlessly point out that a legion of unpaid, untrained, unorganized volunteers can "maintain" packages in universe. But it's completely optional. Any given package might be untouched (bad), get backported security updates (good), be updated religiously from upstream (really bad), or replaced with something completely different from debian (really, really bad).

There's no release management process. There are no guarantees about what you find in Universe. It's totally up to the kindness of individual strangers.

Universe and Launchpad.net are sources of "works on my machine" issues and security holes. And that is all I have to say about that.

--

Of course, all this peril can be avoided if you don't enable the "Universe" repositories. If you restrict yourself to the core and update repos, you should have no problems. In that case, Ubuntu could be just fine.

Now let's try to use it.

I'd like to build a ruby application.
Whoops. There's no bundler. That was part of Universe.

Python?
Oops. No pypi and no virtualenv. Those are also stuck in Universe.

Java?
Sorry. Maven was also part of Universe.

Perl?
Nope, no mod_perl2.

PHP?
Actually, PHP works fine with only core. All the necessary bits are supported. I can say without any trace of sarcasm that Ubuntu is 100% totally suitable to hosting PHP applications.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in 2021, all the yospos regulars will be dead from chainsmoking and catching covid-19, and then it will just be dudes with "stupid newbie" blank avatars shouting at each other about their favorite ubuntu fork in between posting screenshots of lolicon desktop wallpaper

(i.e. it will become the ars openforum)

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

nbsd that's a nice post but you reposting it every single page makes it super obnoxious, like it's god's posting gift to the pos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beamed posted:

nbsd that's a nice post but you reposting it every single page makes it super obnoxious, like it's god's posting gift to the pos

if we can get people to stop recommending ubuntu to hapless victims who stumble in here, i can stop re-posting a five year old post that explains in excrutiating detail why you should not do that

it's also not every page it's just about once a month that some helpful idiots start babbling about mint or ubuntu or whatever dumb poo poo

i would like that to decline to zero times per month. this is the no-ubuntu safe zone ok

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

didn't realize that centos was so out of date that it ships with a kernel on which intel graphics works correctly.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ban the lunix users itt and nbsd thx

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
you ever do something, kinda forget about it, and then get reminded later that it was a good call

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kalium
Sep 15, 2018

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can :gb2gbs: also

ubuntu is dogshit and should never be recommended to anyone. get a loving grip

I mean I agree that ubuntu is dogshit for the most part but I also know that if I'm gonna give a linux to someone who doesn't actually care about Linux it's where I'd start get off my dick.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

psiox posted:

you ever do something, kinda forget about it, and then get reminded later that it was a good call

this is the dumbest poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

imagine posting in yospos about being deeply upset and sad that nbsd posts about well known piece of poo poo ubuntu being bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

psiox posted:

lol imagine, you visited the linux thread and you have me on ignore, and you're proud of it

why did you even click

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i cannot believe it is the year 2020 and i still routinely have to quote this post for white noise morons in the linux thread

this post is irrelevant, op shoudl install kubuntu

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

manjaro is real fun on my desktop in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beamed posted:

manjaro is real fun on my desktop in 2020

it sounds bad but at least it's not ubuntu