Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Meanwhile epidemiologists are screaming that you need to get ahead of illnesses like this, because once you're in the exponential spread phase things will spiral out of control extremely fast. Every day the government delays social distancing measures sees thousands more people infected 'under the radar', and I can't for the life of me figure out why they aren't acting.
Government heard that you need to make sure your experts have the right PPE and got the wrong end of the stick.

e: In 1994 Stephen Milligan resigns from political life.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
One of my colleagues (I don't know them) was out for testing last week and today we got notification it's positive. All I know is the person worked on the same floor as me :ohno:

It's been 6 days since I was at the office so if I did catch it, I'm either completely asymptomatic or I'm about to get symptomatic.

It's annoying that it's impossible to tell whether I've had it or not without a test. If I found out I've already had it and am now immune, I could go out and help people with their shopping and poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
another 14 deaths being reported

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's annoying that it's impossible to tell whether I've had it or not without a test. If I found out I've already had it and am now immune, I could go out and help people with their shopping and poo poo.

This is it. The absolute most infuriating thing for me. At some point everyone who had mild or no symptoms is just going to have to work on the basis that it's either hit them or that they can probably take the hit, because either way there's only so long that self isolation can go on before people need to go places and interact and attempt to return to normality.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

namesake posted:

See what mutual aid groups exist near you and they might be able to give you and your relatives the support they need over the coming weeks:

https://airtable.com/shrUCI7eE8xDqXLEx/tblFqGvhbICXwl493/viwenxDwDhhfOUiQu?blocks=hide

And while you're bored at home why not consider reading Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution? Get some nice, healthy theory down your gullet. (Though I'd probably recommend The Conquest of Bread first. Read leftcoms, loving Marxism-Leninism)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

This is it. The absolute most infuriating thing for me. At some point everyone who had mild or no symptoms is just going to have to work on the basis that it's either hit them or that they can probably take the hit, because either way there's only so long that self isolation can go on before people need to go places and interact and attempt to return to normality.

True, but at some point I think testing kits will be so ubiquitous they'll be able to literally mail them to everyone in the country, or have people go door-to-door for doorstep testing (then you get a little wristband to say if you're immune?)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

forkboy84 posted:

And while you're bored at home why not consider reading Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution? Get some nice, healthy theory down your gullet. (Though I'd probably recommend The Conquest of Bread first. Read leftcoms, loving Marxism-Leninism)

No you can't make me. Lenin was right.

jabby posted:

They talk a good game about wanting to 'flatten the curve', but I can't think of a single measure they've introduced to do so.

Meanwhile epidemiologists are screaming that you need to get ahead of illnesses like this, because once you're in the exponential spread phase things will spiral out of control extremely fast. Every day the government delays social distancing measures sees thousands more people infected 'under the radar', and I can't for the life of me figure out why they aren't acting.

Surely any measures to flatten the curve are more effective the earlier they're introduced, when there is less burden of disease already in the population?

Yeah the only explanation I can think of is that they're thinking of transmission as something that can just be cut off at a certain point rather than this huge unseen backlog constantly revealing itself after the fact and it's insane that anyone in a position of knowledge or power thinks that.

Jose posted:

another 14 deaths being reported

But only a 20% growth in total cases, perhaps due to the new secondary care testing restrictions?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

True, but at some point I think testing kits will be so ubiquitous they'll be able to literally mail them to everyone in the country, or have people go door-to-door for doorstep testing (then you get a little wristband to say if you're immune?)

I hate to say it, but: is there a private option for testing?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I hate to say it, but: is there a private option for testing?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/harley-street-clinic-offering-375-coronavirus-private-test

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's irritating. No news yet on whether the ?case at my work got tested, and I really need to be there if I can. Since I've still got a wheezy cough and some shortness of breath though, I've had to call in that I may have a touch of the ol' corona. Without knowing for sure I feel like a fraud, even though I understand that you're hardly gonna run a PCR for everyone with a cough at this point.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Barry Foster posted:

Think I should stop going to the gym now? My gym is always full of students. Gross, dirty students.

Simply build you own gym in the spacious back garden of the house you'll inherit from your boomer parents.

(I'm currently in the three months of the year where I don't use the backyard gym because uninsulated metal and British winter don't mix. Guess I'm going to have to find some gloves and man up in glorious isolation)

E: Be interesting to see what attitude my parents have in the weekly phone call this evening. I warned them a couple of weeks back and they blew it off. Panic might be setting in for my asthmatic mum :/

RockyB fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 15, 2020

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The governments response is loving infuriating. I guess this is what happens you you elect a single issue government! Fucks sake.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We're going to leave the pandemic with a great deal.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

Guavanaut posted:

Get Covid done

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

namesake posted:

But only a 20% growth in total cases, perhaps due to the new secondary care testing restrictions?

Probably

Eddy-Baby
Mar 8, 2006

₤₤LOADSA MONAY₤₤

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

...of victims

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
I have a question: do I understand correctly that the Taiwanese authorities fitted infrared thermometers at busy rail stations and as passengers made their way across the central part of the stations they were being monitored for temperatures and those with temperatures over 37.5 were stopped from entering the station? Is this being done anywhere in the UK?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
April fools day is going to be too easy this year, isn't it?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

bornbytheriver posted:

Is this being done anywhere in the UK?

lol no

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

bornbytheriver posted:

I have a question: do I understand correctly that the Taiwanese authorities fitted infrared thermometers at busy rail stations and as passengers made their way across the central part of the stations they were being monitored for temperatures and those with temperatures over 37.5 were stopped from entering the station? Is this being done anywhere in the UK?

I've been to hospital twice in the last couple of weeks and nobody there was even asking any questions :laugh:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

bornbytheriver posted:

Is this being done anywhere in the UK?

Here's a picture of our pandemic response today:

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
I dread going to Victoria tomorrow.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

sinky posted:

I'm the white bloke

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Society's sure gonna look different after this is over, huh

I'm glad I've got a hefty stash of weed, this'd be a boring couple weeks otherwise

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

I'm glad I've got a hefty stash of weed, this'd be a boring couple weeks otherwise

less gammons i hope

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

sinky posted:

Don't worry they'll be enforcing self isolation for over 70's "within weeks".

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Red Oktober posted:

The governments response is loving infuriating. I guess this is what happens you you elect a single issue government! Fucks sake.

There is no way they will have planned for a scenario where something of this scale comes along at the same time. Probably explains why we're seeing nothing by way of a response

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Barry Foster posted:

It really should. This is what should convince us that we need to build fairer, safer, more resilient societies. Literal trillions were conjured from nothing, not to prevent the human cost of this, but in an effort to stop the markets collapsing, and most of that went straight into billionaires' hoards.

Whenever anyone says, ever again, that money doesn't go on trees, they should be reminded of that.

Whenever we can't afford bursaries for nurses, or salaries for teachers or firefighters, or benefits for disabled people, or student grants, or parental leave, or sick leave, or healthcare free at point of use, or to feed, house and clothe our elderly once they have retired, or for that matter, to feed, house, and clothe literally everyone ever, the person saying that should be reminded that we as a global society threw invented literal trillions and threw them down the drain, to no avail, because it looked like some already-rich parasites might become more rich at a slightly slower pace. Twice.

This should be thing thing that makes us realise that capitalism doesn't work.

I'm dubious though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Barry Foster posted:

Hello thread, happy to join you here in The End Times

Think I should stop going to the gym now? The first case has been confirmed at University of Exeter, so I've already strongly advised my immunosuppressed partner not to go into work tomorrow, and my gym is always full of students. Gross, dirty students.

I've not been paying tons of attention to this whole thing but today definitely feels like poo poo's getting really real from here on in. I can't say I'm surprised that the tories are loving this up as much as they, according to this thread, apparently are

yes, if your partner is at risk, absolutely stop going to the gym immediately.

also talking about the testing thing with other people, what also makes it extra stupid is that you're at higher risk if you catch covid after another infection.
so me and my partner have been fluey for 10+ days now, but don't know if we're basically overcoming a mild case of covid and could then go out once it clears up or if we're at higher risk

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I'll say this, those mass thermal scanners have taken huge leaps since 2003 when SARS first prompted them

Back then they were industrial infrared scanners rigged up in a desperate hurry

today they they pick up and track individual people

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm dubious though.

I'm rather more than dubious.

Communist Thoughts posted:

yes, if your partner is at risk, absolutely stop going to the gym immediately

Yeah, message received. I feel a bit stupid because I've maybe leaned too far into 'don't pay attention to what's going on' mode since December and now that I've returned briefly to the UKMT and its horrors I can see that blithely getting on with your life in the midst of a generation-defining pandemic was actually dumb as heck.

We've just discovered that her immunosuppressant drug actually might help with The Bug, so that's good https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30304-4/fulltext

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

the strategy as far as it goes seems to be do nothing, let people associate and catch it, tell them to stay at home when they start developing any symptoms, and come out as soon as you're over it

so self-isolation, but not to avoid getting it - to get over the disease and develop immunity. They're discouraging people in that situation from even calling 111, so it sounds like they want to keep sick people away from hospitals as much as possible. "Take it on the chin" I guess

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1239227581632860160?s=21

Neat news article to have on the anniversary of Christchurch.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

baka kaba posted:

Probably not the right time for this, but you sure you just don't need your aerial sorting out or replaced?

maybe one of these wideband ones

instead of one of these old grouped ones

or maybe just a grouped one specific to your transmitter if you get poor reception, they've messed around with things during the digital switchover so you might just need to tweak your setup

I know you love the technical stuff so here's someone ranting about aerials!
https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/atvs-choice-of-tv-aerials-and-why-we-chose-them

We have a communal aerial in our flats for freeview which is knackered (apparently they have spent several £00 trying to get it fixed to no avail), but also there's a hill between us and the freeview transmitter and we can literally only get a handful of channels on freeview (it was the same in my last flat down the road a bit). Hence why I have freesat - I had it put in my last flat, and in this flat I poached a spare node on someone else's sky sat and got a skyHD box. (Just a reminder - freeview and freesat are different services). (When we have our AGM in April, I'm going to suggest that we replace the 4-node things on each of the 3 satellite dishes on the roof with 8-node ones (total cost about £75 + labour) and then anyone who moans about the freeview - lots of them - can pay as I did and as my neighbour did - to get connected to one of the spare nodes and use freesat from sky.

But anyway, as I'm in London, I went to Currys/PC World and looked at things and bought a Roku thing as recommended elsewhere ITT (https://www.roku.com/en-gb/products/roku-express)
so assuming it works ok, I'll be a very happy bunny and spending £30 instead of £150. I also spied a gadget for plugging up to 3 hdmi cables in to one socket (tv only has 1 hdmi socket) so I can hopefully (not home til tomorrow night so can't try yet) switch between the sky box and the roku without moving from my chair (not laziness but I have to sit in a particular chair because of my back and use my laptop on my lap so am usually covered in wires as my mother says which are a pain to untangle from).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ yeah catchup is way better if it's an option, live tv is extremely bad, and most news channels seem to be on youtube if you want that

sinky posted:

flahtab is bathalf backwards

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Long-tailed tits are the tits.

There's a load of robins as well but they don't hang around the feeder, they fly in, grab something and fly out. I'm shooting manual focus so this makes it near impossible to catch them.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

thespaceinvader posted:

This should be thing thing that makes us realise that capitalism doesn't work.

I'm dubious though.

look if the gammons want to go back to the blitz so bad they can't complain if we elect Clement Atlee afterward

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Apparently the lap dancing clubs along the Axis of Filth* are all shutting down for lack of customers, when horniness levels are this low in the City you know something's up.

* The unofficial (as in I made it up and am determined to make it stick) term for the area from Kingsland Road down to St. Katherine's Docks at the eastern edge of the City of London which once had a higher concentration of sex shops, dodgy cinemas, saunas, massage places and strip joints than Soho - almost all of them long since gentrified out of existence, but there's a half-dozen "gentlemen's venues" left around there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

baka kaba posted:

flahtab is bathalf backwards

halfbat: population halved by the bats