Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Forceholy posted:

On a side note, Billie Ellish if just a Katy Perry clone is she were going through a phase.

When she made that comment on how hip hop is “just about bitches, money, and guns” I wondered how a teenager could have a music opinion so totally anachronous - that’s like an early 2000s take. Then I found out that she’s the daughter of musicians who’ve homeschooled her. They live in the Eagle Rock community here in Los Angeles, which has good public schools and even private schools if you’re that kind of rear end in a top hat, meaning Eilish was raised by exceptionally snobbish parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

the new lil uzi album is very good

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Dr. Killjoy posted:

When she made that comment on how hip hop is “just about bitches, money, and guns” I wondered how a teenager could have a music opinion so totally anachronous - that’s like an early 2000s take. Then I found out that she’s the daughter of musicians who’ve homeschooled her. They live in the Eagle Rock community here in Los Angeles, which has good public schools and even private schools if you’re that kind of rear end in a top hat, meaning Eilish was raised by exceptionally snobbish parents.

Who would have thought that a singer with parents who have connections to the industry would have a strong career start at 18? It's like Taylor Swift and her stockbroker parents.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Bingo!

There have been no new famous people in 15 years who have not been the sons or daughters of people who are already wealthy. Mainly the progeny of famous entertainers, stockbrokers or entertainment lawyers.

You may remember about 10 years ago the viral song Friday by Rebecca Black

Well, that was the product of a company that purposefully courted the whims wealthy (mostly long island) professionals to give their suburban fail daughters a celebrity style experience. This phenomenon was widely and appropriately ridiculed at the time but it has become the dominant mode of creating new famous people in the post 2008 crisis era.

Think about how intensely hollywood atempted to make Will Smith's talentless son a star.

It's like it always was in a sense because only one in a hundred or a thousand or whatever get traction but now all of the hundred or thousnad are the children of millionaires.

Pop culture, music in particular, has reached levels of depravity that far outstrip the cultural cesspool of 1999/2000, a feat I never thought possible.

Again, as with everything in our society all you can say is

The Aristocrats

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Hey now, that's not fair. The Aristocrats' act takes an impressive amount of stamina, agility and dedication to pull off no matter how you tell it.

Jayden Smith wishes he could be as entertaining as an immortal dirty joke.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I was thinking about Thor Ragnarok and how much I like it, but then I half-remembered something from the comics or maybe the animated movie that was dropped from the film. Wasn't the main plot of the Planet Hulk saga that Thor was helping Hulk become the figurehead of violent revolution? And then Beta Ray Bill showed up to help Hulk and a freedom fighter assassinate a despot who ruled the planet? I feel like that would have been a lot cooler than what we got

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Forceholy posted:

I've read somewhere that your music tastes solidify by your early 30s due to commitments. I find this pretty true at 31. Between work, Grad School Application bullshit, and other life stuff, it's hard to hop onto finding new artists or even finding out bands that I like dropped new stuff year. In fact, I'll go weeks without listening to music. I'll have headphones or audio in the car, but it's just podcasts.

music is one of my favorite things in life and i would honestly want to die if i wasn't able to continue to discover new bands / styles / etc.

i will agree that you have to actively seek it out tho, so if you aren't doing that then you're probably not just organically stumbling across stuff with your limited adult free time

for real tho, even in the last two years i got into electro pop, french retro synthwave, baby metal and taylor swift - and those were all genres & artists that i'd never listened to before - in addition to seeking out new albums by bands that i already enjoy

i feel like "your music tastes solidify" is similar to saying "you food tastes solidify" which is just anotherway of saying you've become boring

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

So after watching the trailer for the upcoming adaptation for Uzumaki, I decided to just bite the bullet and read the Manga, and I have some thoughts. On the one hand, Production I.G. is a pretty solid studio, I've heard good things about the director, and I liked Colin Stetson's work on the Hereditary soundtrack.

However, I was pretty lukewarm on the Manga until the last third or so when it had an actual plot. Until then, it was just an anthology of horror stories with a spiral theme in each one. In fact, some of them chapters seemed like a waste of time, like the one with the teenage lovers or the lighthouse one or the one with the annoying kid who jumps at people.

I've read Junji Ito's work before, like Gyo, and I get that body horror is his thing, but I didn't really give a poo poo about the plot here until there was one in the end. Then again, this could be me reading a horror manga and not being a easily impresionable teen or 20-something anymore, so I dunno.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Manga is better than anime in every single case with literally no exception, so that cannot be true

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Forceholy posted:

So after watching the trailer for the upcoming adaptation for Uzumaki, I decided to just bite the bullet and read the Manga, and I have some thoughts. On the one hand, Production I.G. is a pretty solid studio, I've heard good things about the director, and I liked Colin Stetson's work on the Hereditary soundtrack.

However, I was pretty lukewarm on the Manga until the last third or so when it had an actual plot. Until then, it was just an anthology of horror stories with a spiral theme in each one. In fact, some of them chapters seemed like a waste of time, like the one with the teenage lovers or the lighthouse one or the one with the annoying kid who jumps at people.

I've read Junji Ito's work before, like Gyo, and I get that body horror is his thing, but I didn't really give a poo poo about the plot here until there was one in the end. Then again, this could be me reading a horror manga and not being a easily impresionable teen or 20-something anymore, so I dunno.

all of the stories are supposed to show how their town is becoming progressively detached from reality and drive home the point that they're not going to be able to escape the situation they're in.

the pregnant mothers story nearly broke me. that's easily the most uncomfortable horror story i've ever read

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

E:Quote is not edit.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Freaking Crumbum posted:

all of the stories are supposed to show how their town is becoming progressively detached from reality and drive home the point that they're not going to be able to escape the situation they're in.

the pregnant mothers story nearly broke me. that's easily the most uncomfortable horror story i've ever read

Yeah, I can see that. All the poo poo Kirie witnessed and experienced would justify the ending. The focus on the curse is similar to the Silent Hill series, where the protagonists are mundane to illustrate how dangerous or powerful the threat is.

The pregnancy story is really disturbing and so was the part where they commit snail cannibalism.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1237908112834691074

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
talk about huluhoopnermalizaytion!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so im watching the shinchan movie where they go to mexico and the super plant that produces delicious sweet stuff just reproduced baby plants that literally eat people and reform themselves when shot apart with guns

that was quite the turn for a silly kids movie theres probably a capitalism allegory in there somewhere

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/1226925106242387970

good thing foreign films are nearly impossible to distribute in the united states then

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

i know new simpsons isnt great but this is a pretty good prediction about coronavirus
https://twitter.com/LoveAlwaysKris/status/1238465807073652736?s=20

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

im watching the original ninja turtle live action movie and nobody points out how cool the footclan kids really are

i mean they take wallets from shitheads on wallstreet and hang out with actual ninjas in a rad clubhouse, they are p much the coolest kids ever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4JZ7oVorfM

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Percelus posted:

im watching the original ninja turtle live action movie and nobody points out how cool the footclan kids really are

i mean they take wallets from shitheads on wallstreet and hang out with actual ninjas in a rad clubhouse, they are p much the coolest kids ever

all of the turtles saying "drat" were the first time i ever heard swears in a movie as a kid and i thought it was awesome and immediately started throwing them out every chance i could and let me tell you my mom was not as enthusiastic about it as i was

around the same time, bart telling people to get bent and go to hell was also the height of comedy and my attempts to repeat his hilarious jokes did not fly in my parent's house

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Rereading World War Z because *gestures around* the neocon poo poo is even dumber than I remember but the US reaction is pretty much on par

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

im watching green book and this movie is surprisingly gross half of it is yankee paternalism toward the south and the other half is class based paternalism thats supposed to be ironic because the upper class guy is black

aside from the fact that the premise necessitates frequent acknowledgment that racism exists theres little to no perspective about how this status quo might be changed or the political context that created it

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

I am a real big fan of James Caan

love rollerball, for instance, just loving love it

When Jonathan E says "there are no rules" drat, that gets me right in the loving guts. Deeply socio-psychologically penetrating poo poo

anyway, I just rewatched Alien Nation, and started watching the TV series

it's something that has been really fumbled through the cracks of our memory holes but I remember it getting like Babylon 5esque cultural penetration in the early 90s

if you have never seen it, the plot is that a bunch of aliens who are almost identical to humans but they have no hair, get drunk on sour milk, and are STRONG, land in the Mojave desert after escaping enslavement among the stars and they are incorporated and largely marginalized within society. District 9 rips off a great deal of the premise and the Will Smith film Bright rips off the rest of the film.

It is a neo-noir near future sci-fi buddy cop film where James Caan is a racist detective who is assigned an Alien partner and they grow close as the solve a series of low level crimes with connections that go RIGHT TO THE TOP

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Some Guy TT posted:

im watching green book and this movie is surprisingly gross half of it is yankee paternalism toward the south and the other half is class based paternalism thats supposed to be ironic because the upper class guy is black

aside from the fact that the premise necessitates frequent acknowledgment that racism exists theres little to no perspective about how this status quo might be changed or the political context that created it

I still give Crash the edge as far as most ignorant and harmful best picture winner goes

Green Book is a white savior movie trying to remind us that racism exists? In 2018? That needed to be said? Okay? Terrible, yes, but Crash was so uniquely ambitious in making sure to slander every possible person and identity involved that I feel it still has to keep the crown, though Green Book is as likely as we're going to get in a while

I was one of those oscars idiots right up to 2006 lol

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
also at least in green book they were trying to act

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

The only part about crash I remember clearly is bullock sobbing uncontrollably about how angry she is all the time and the I see that scene over and over in my head when Warren staffers and khivers melt down on twitter

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

green book? nah dog check out green ROOM

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Green Book? Yeah, I'm familiar with Ghadaffi's contributions to theory.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i just rewatched goldeneye bc its on netflix and at the end the cia guy walks up to james bond and the russian hacker lady and says "maybe you two would like to finish debriefing each other at guantanamo" and wow that line was less sinister in 1995 lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/possessedwiIl/status/1239316702569136133

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

https://twitter.com/INDIEWASHERE/status/1239180438477910016

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
watched Portrait Of A Woman On Fire today and I think it's probably the best film I've ever seen. Every aspect of it is a masterpiece and I was openly crying during the final scene. I'm not good enough with words to write a compelling review, but I was completely blown away.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1239680408729640961?s=20

our long national nightmare is (temporarily) over

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LGD posted:

If this is the price we had to pay, I'd still take it

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

LGD posted:

this should have happened back in like 1998 but better late than never i guess

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

green book? nah dog check out green ROOM

I need to rewatch that because I was too busy being like drat Captain Picard went bonkers after he retired. Seriously Patrick Stewart as the lead skinhead was inspired for out of character it is.

(It doesn't help that Anton Yelchin is the lead either, get those nazis Mr. Chekov.)

Eimi has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Mar 17, 2020

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

harry potter : read another book :: the office : watch another show

there's a broad age band between like early 30s to early 40s of people that want to put every loving thing in the context of an episode of the office and it's getting so tiresome

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

just watch every show, it'll kill time during quarantine

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

only watch anime, like land of the lustrous <----- which is very good if your brain has been pushed through a cheesegrater like me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Eimi posted:

I need to rewatch that because I was too busy being like drat Captain Picard went bonkers after he retired. Seriously Patrick Stewart as the lead skinhead was inspired for out of character it is.

(It doesn't help that Anton Yelchin is the lead either, get those nazis Mr. Chekov.)

sounds like someone hasn’t seen the terrible 1996 Mel Gibson vehicle Conspiracy Theory