Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

virinvictus posted:

With everything dropping, is now the time to continue investing my money? I only just started an investment account a couple weeks ago. Going with the VBAL but haven’t been through a downturn before. I don’t wanna pull, but have plans to invest about $30,000 in the next couple of months. Should I wait?

The answer to "should I invest" isn't "how is the market doing" but "how far away will I need the money"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Guest2553 posted:

We're back to what, Dec 2018 prices now almost?

The paper value of my boring-rear end index accounts goes down the equivalent of a month's salary on days like today. There's no discernable impact on my daily routine so instead of trippin the huge loss of net worth, I personally find it to be a nice reminder that I have a good life overall. If you're looking at throwing that cash into retirement accounts I'd say don't sweat it. The stress isn't worth trying to min-max that poo poo and we can't compete with the professionals.
Dec 2018 if by "now" you mean an hour ago before Trump just closed down flights between the US and Europe (excepting the UK). Dow futures are already down 600 points.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
For non-permenent residents and citizens
Not applying to goods
Only to the EU

(yeah it's still a big deal but surprise surprise trump might have had some details wrong when he said he was shutting down all flights to europe)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

There might still be some downward pressure and I wish I didn't top up my RRSPs last week after the big plunge, but coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Play the long game, I'm not losing sleep over it and I lost a poo poo-ton of money on paper.

I feel bad for a couple of co-workers that just took an early retirement buy-out and just invested all their $$ last month.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ghosTTy posted:

let's go

Down to 58% book value after 7 days, nice

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday's crash was so bad that I lost as much as ghostty except in index funds

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

xtal posted:

Yesterday's crash was so bad that I lost as much as ghostty except in index funds

VGRO is down 13.54% in the same interval, what funds are you using? All equity? I don't think even VEQT has dropped as much as crypto in the last week.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Unless you're riding funky inverse-market put options, nobody comes out of this without blood. This is a global market implosion.

Best to be zen about matters, the only way to win was to not have played this decade.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Less Fat Luke posted:

VGRO is down 13.54% in the same interval, what funds are you using? All equity? I don't think even VEQT has dropped as much as crypto in the last week.

Sorry, I just meant that day of crypto that was modeled earlier

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe another dumb Norberts gambit question. The USD DLR transaction settled so in WebBroker I'm able to do a Securities Transfer from my USD account to my CAD account. I get a reference number and everything, but the numbers aren't changing. From what I read, this part should be immediate? I don't see any indicator that there was a problem or that it's pending.

edit: I called them and they said they were experiencing technical difficulties so that may have something to do with it.

xtal fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 13, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It takes a business day in Questrade for what that's worth.

Edit: ah saw your edit

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol at Trump announcing significant stimulus measures live during the last ten minutes before stock markets closed for the day.

I accidentally closed out a big position at like 0.2% less than the peak for the day, good enough.

(I wanted to swap into something roughly equivalent since I was just harvesting a tax loss but broker was too laggy in that volume for me to confirm the other order - alas. But when do things ever gap up massively? Other than tomorrow, of course.)

Edit: huh. It's Friday?

James Baud fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 13, 2020

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I tried to sell before he started talking for a brief foray into ill advised day trading and lost 50 bucks.

Ok I learned my lesson, back to putting in stuff monthly and not trying to time fluctuations to trump speeches.

Sometimes you gotta smash your own hand in the door to know that it hurts.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CRISPYBABY posted:

I tried to sell before he started talking for a brief foray into ill advised day trading and lost 50 bucks.

Ok I learned my lesson, back to putting in stuff monthly and not trying to time fluctuations to trump speeches.

Sometimes you gotta smash your own hand in the door to know that it hurts.

$50 is the cheapest way I've seen anyone learn this lesson.

That whole announcement thing with the loving stock ticker overlaid over the conference feed as he's announcing buying tons of oil immediately before markets close for the weekend is a really hosed up thing to do imo.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

VelociBacon posted:

$50 is the cheapest way I've seen anyone learn this lesson.

Step 1 is to have very little money in your TFSA, but still occasionally obsess over it because you're a loving nerd.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

<almost everything this administration does> is a really hosed up thing to do imo.

Homeboy doesn't give a gently caress about america or COVID or whatever, he's just becoming vaguely aware of how stupid people think he is and is worried it will affect reelection chances.

Should make for some fun reading on WSB though.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Bought the dip, gonna focus more on Hive next purchase, don't have that much cash left. ProgPoW will make GPU mining more efficient, and Hive just expanded their GPU mining facility by 20%

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
:pusheen:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
US Fed just cut rates another full percent (to 0-0.25%) a moment ago. Also throwing the better part of a trillion at a new QE program "asset purchases entailing Treasurys and mortgage-backed securities.".

Good times.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 15, 2020

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My mortgage is up in April and I was going to reup with TD again, current offer for me on a 5 year closed (with 15% payable down per year) is 2.56% on the phone app renew but going in next week to see if I can do even better..

Future plan is to get an additional mortgage for a full house rebuild but that’ll be a couple years out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

In the coming week the increased testing in the US is going to mean hugely spiked positive covid19 results and I think there will be even heavier restrictions in place, businesses not operating, events cancelled, etc. I'm very much expecting an even bigger market hit than this past week despite the economic measures. Good times!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Federal Reserve cuts rates to zero and launches massive $700 billion quantitative easing program

quote:

The Fed also cut reserve requirements for thousands of banks to zero. In addition, in a global coordinated move by centrals banks, the Fed said the Bank of Canada, the Bank of England, the Bank of Japan, the European Central Bank, the Federal Reserve, and the Swiss National Bank took action to enhance dollar liquidity around the world through existing dollar swap arrangements.

I can't really overstate how incredibly loving bad this means things are, and are going to be. Holy. gently caress. :psyboom:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I guess my XBAL purchase didn't happen. Feel tempted to sit on the cash and wait for the dip to continue before getting back in?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Rime posted:

Federal Reserve cuts rates to zero and launches massive $700 billion quantitative easing program

I can't really overstate how incredibly loving bad this means things are, and are going to be. Holy. gently caress. :psyboom:

:lol: at two emergency rate cuts. Either the idiot losers running the clown show know things are a million times worse than they're letting on, or they're so incompetent that their abortive attempts to not look like fuckups is just going to induce further panic. It's not like the administration has any credibility when it comes to the 'good governance' thing, and now that rates are at zero the next step is what - indefinite QE, or dropping rates further? The reality that a pandemic is just beginning hasn't seemed to set in either, and I'd be surprised if we didn't see further closures and restrictions by month's end. Which will only add to the bloodbath.

My retirement accounts are ~75k in the red at this point, so I'm just enjoying the scenery as we tumble towards hell.

e. Holy balls, reserve requirements dropping to 0% for a number of banks. We've barely started our current crisis and we're already laying the foundation for the next one :laffo:

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 16, 2020

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Dow futures are down 1,000 points again, RIP retiring

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I just looked at the online trading account. Down more money than I make in 2 years.

Yay!

Oh well I wasn't planning on retiring this decade I actually was hoping to :smith:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Glad I bailed out last fall after all the Trump induced fluctuations :sweatdrop: stuck everything in savings TFSAs in anticipation of buying a bigger place but I think we'll wait until the end of summer and see what happens to real estate...

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Maybe it was fortuitous that my XBAL purchase didn't go through and now my TFSA is entirely cash? :confuoot:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
So long as you know when to invest it...

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Yeast Confection posted:

Maybe it was fortuitous that my XBAL purchase didn't go through and now my TFSA is entirely cash? :confuoot:

Yeah I'd buy a lottery ticket cause you lucked out big time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SPY down 10% in pre-market here we go boys.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
You know that feeling when you've gone down the little hill on a rollercoaster and are now sitting on top of the big hill? Yeah.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
That sounds like a lot more fun than this tbh.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's funny to see the US pull every emergency lever labelled "economy" before the actual crash.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

What's the Waffle Index like? Ireland closed all pubs, which I imagine is like DEFCON plaid.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Dec 2018 if by "now" you mean an hour ago before Trump just closed down flights between the US and Europe (excepting the UK). Dow futures are already down 600 points.

In a way, times were simpler back then :v:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Guest2553 posted:

What's the Waffle Index like? Ireland closed all pubs, which I imagine is like DEFCON plaid.

In a way, times were simpler back then :v:

I miss it already

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Rime posted:

You know that feeling when you've gone down the little hill on a rollercoaster and are now sitting on top of the big hill? Yeah.

Specifically this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTcT1VeJfKc&t=119s

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I dumped all non etfs, the recession is gonna be wild

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
In better news, my Norberts gambit finally settled. I had $120 of capital gains because of market volatility and that made the final exchange rate 1.40, which is exactly today's rate with no overhead.

In spite of this, I opened accounts with Questrade and am going to move things there for those sweet free trades.

xtal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I thought TD allows journaling before the first trade settles? Questrade doesn't. Are you ensuring that you'll hold DLR for longer than you want every time instead of just technical issues time?

Fair about commissions though, can't beat free.