Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

megane posted:

The TF2 sniper was a loving albatross around the neck of his game too.

It's poo poo to get killed instantly and it's poo poo to get attacked by someone you can't (effectively) shoot back at. You'll note that this constitutes the core sniper gameplay experience from both directions.

Hitting like 5 people on a control point with jarate was super satisfying though. Honestly in tf2 I would rather have a sniper on my team than dumbass spies just running around cloaked doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Give Widow damage falloff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SKULL.GIF posted:

Give Widow damage falloff.

give her fall damage

megane
Jun 20, 2008

piL posted:

I think Overwatch benefits by having as many kinds of gameplay loops as possible, but I don't think the interaction that spy and scout have with sniper translates as effectively to Overwatch's playstyle. It does feel similarly good to blast down a widow or a hanzo as Dva. But for satisfying the sniper's gameplay loop, I think Bastion and Ana are both interesting takes that come close enough to filling that style of play.

With Bastion, unless you're pushing with the shield, play can often be about finding a good angle, setting up, delivering damage from a good vantage point, then vacating that point before your lack of maneuverability becomes a liability--sniper without the headclicking component. Ana similarly because she snipes, but she's more vulnerable due to her attacks being a dot, and she interacts more with the team.

(snip)

Agreed completely. Ana is a stroke of design genius, and handily avoids pretty much all the problems I have with snipers. That first period after release when we got Ana, Sombra, Orisa, Doomfist, and Moira showed some amazing innovation. Especially since the FPS genre rarely rises above the level of "a SMG that is slightly more accurate than most other SMGs."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

megane posted:

Agreed completely. Ana is a stroke of design genius, and handily avoids pretty much all the problems I have with snipers. That first period after release when we got Ana, Sombra, Orisa, Doomfist, and Moira showed some amazing innovation. Especially since the FPS genre rarely rises above the level of "a SMG that is slightly more accurate than most other SMGs."

Ana is the best-designed character because despite having probably the two most powerful non-ult abilities in the game you almost never hear "Ana is bullshit"

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pattonesque posted:

Ana is the best-designed character because despite having probably the two most powerful non-ult abilities in the game you almost never hear "Ana is bullshit"

Even as someone who almost exclusively plays Zen and Roadhog she doesn't really feel broken despite being a pretty hard counter to both. Only really annoying thing is her small hitbox letting her get away even if I dodge the sleep darts and land a good hook combo.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Ana went through a bunch of nerfs. Pre-nerfs you absolutely heard her called a bullshit strong champion. This was when her shots did 80 damage and her ult gave +50% move speed.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The grenade giving +100% healing led to the first 4 tank meta.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:

FAUXTON posted:

give her fall damage

Give her the entirety of ARMAs damage system and I might be persuaded to get back into this game

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

berenzen posted:

Ana went through a bunch of nerfs. Pre-nerfs you absolutely heard her called a bullshit strong champion. This was when her shots did 80 damage and her ult gave +50% move speed.

ah yeah I didn't play back then, forgot about it

even then it seems like it was fixed when they just messed with numbers a bit, she didn't need a total rework like Sym or Torb

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I miss getting PotG every round with old Sym.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does anyone have that post saved where one goon said that Junkrat should have some 1/500 (or something) chance to say a racist voice line and that would result in the player being banned, as a way to get people to stop playing Junkrat as much?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

buglord posted:

Does anyone have that post saved where one goon said that Junkrat should have some 1/500 (or something) chance to say a racist voice line and that would result in the player being banned, as a way to get people to stop playing Junkrat as much?

Oh yeah, I definitely have that post saved from mid-2016.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The grenade giving +100% healing led to the first 4 tank meta.

I'll take tank meta over sniper or stun meta any day. At least with tank you work as a team and combat the enemy. I'm biased though because I only play Tank and heals like a good person

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Triple dps dive was the best.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

the one thing we can all agree on: beyblade meta was the greatest meta

no shields, no healing, just glorious invincible golden reapers twirling in the sunlight

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

beyblade had like the most healing of any meta because it had old ana, who could take rein from 1 hp to full in like 1 shot. it also had a lot of shields

also nobody liked it

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
beyblade meta was genji being a poo poo and reaper being a poo poo and ana being a poo poo with 3 other opponents trying to stop you from stopping their making GBS threads.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm playing arcade games for this Symmetra skin. My weekly games are 9/9 completed, but my Symmetra events are only 7/9 completed and I don't understand how this is possible. I've only played these arcade games, nothing else.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

the arcade's weekly wins started before the event, I think

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Rollover for arcade is monday, event win rollover is on thursday

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yea, the challenge and arcade boxes are timed differently and it's very confusing even though it is not really complicated. I always get mixed up.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1239597502887673867

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So it's just Echo right? ResidentSleeper

Wake me up when they put Evil Maui in the game

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I can't believe Blizzard thinks people want Generic Robot Waifu and not Evil Maui

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Where's my pec bounce emote and "You're welcome!" voiceline

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Macaluso posted:

The game does need more egg related voice lines

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/s...ingawful.com%2F

Pretty neat how they came full circle with the scrapped Liao character

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Putting a very dumb looking human face on her pretty much killed my interest.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kokoro Wish posted:

interest in what

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Fuckin it

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Look man, sometimes you just want to look into a shiny, fatureless glass dome when you go to work.

But it's more from a design perspective as far as visuals go, it really was unecessay.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

Kokoro Wish posted:

Turn on your monitor.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Her dumb hologram human face sucks rear end and I hated her the moment they showed in in Ashe's trailer. Give her a weird robot face like Zen or Bastion please

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

But then she's not ~a bridge between human and omnic~ which I guess was her purpose - like, my creator created omnics and then decided to help kill all omnics by making an omnic with a slightly less omnic face.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

black.lion posted:

But then she's not ~a bridge between human and omnic~ which I guess was her purpose - like, my creator created omnics and then decided to help kill all omnics by making an omnic with a slightly less omnic face.

hey yeah that's not great, huh

oh well it's not as if Overwatch has an actual story

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

All that time I spend looking at the face of my fps character

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nutsak posted:

Turn on your monitor.

:drat:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

All that time I spend looking at the face of my fps character

Look at this guy not getting play of the game :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Nutsak posted:

Turn on your monitor.

this meme isnt often done well, but you aced it, good job