Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
you know the average person just doesn't appreciate how hard it is to, uh, continue to pay people you were already paying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MourningView posted:

you know the average person just doesn't appreciate how hard it is to, uh, continue to pay people you were already paying

Zion's youth and inexperience shining through, selflessly assisting less fortunate people in his community so they can go on with life during a difficult time with more security, instead of negotiating for days to attach as many strings as possible to the beer salesman's ability to pay rent

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol when you lose the moral high ground to Rovell

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

General Dog posted:

Even the Michael Buble tour has been canceled.
Well that makes perfect sense because you don't want women throwing Coronavirus-infected panties at him.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

General Dog posted:

The directive seemed to be "try to mimic the general tone of Deadspin, but with less cusses and no politics"

https://deadspin.com/is-there-any-big-ten-program-that-doesnt-have-a-hideous-1842303580

the writing is really clumsy; the syntax and style is basically fansided quality

every article has a very clumsy, deliberate quality that is amateurish in a not very endearing way; these are writers used to writing about sports, not telling jokes

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
First day at work is never easy; Im sure neo-Deadspin will find its own voice in time (not that that voice will necessarily be any good, or that I have a strong urge to stick with it and find out)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

the biggest missing ingredient in vichy deadspin is that petchesky and the eics they had over the years had an actual eye for writing talent and voice and the new writers just arent very good at being Deadspin Writers

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Were met with an Armageddon-like conundrum- is it easier to teach sportswriters to be funny, or to teach joke men how to be sporty?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

the biggest missing ingredient in vichy deadspin is that petchesky and the eics they had over the years had an actual eye for writing talent and voice and the new writers just aren’t very good at being Deadspin Writers

Vichy Deadspin. Art. Marry me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It continues to bottle the mind how much you can gently caress up but "relaunch deadspin the day after sports are all cancelled" somehow managed to play a new chord.

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
The Ringer crying about losing locker room access during a pandemic is peak sports journalism.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

BWV posted:

Vichy Deadspin. Art. Marry me.

Hey! Check the last page, I'm the one who coined that phrase on this thread. I was going to try to make a "Manchuko" pun but uh im not clever enough to make it work.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

DildenAnders posted:

Hey! Check the last page, I'm the one who coined that phrase on this thread. I was going to try to make a "Manchuko" pun but uh im not clever enough to make it work.

my bad. my praise shall be sent your way as i enjoyed this greatly!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
pals should i pitch some articles on historical animal bloodsports to neodeadspin? you'll find out what "fox tossing" is.

Sash! posted:

OK hear me out on this:

All the players are in bubbles and they have to roll around like the atlaspheres on American Gladiators and they have to push a big orange ball onto a catapult that shoots it at a hoop. Also yes the coaches are in bubbles but his has special lights on it so you know it is a coach bubble

i like that, but i also have an alternative suggestion

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1238859481385230345

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the government needs to intervene and stop this

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DildenAnders posted:

its all true you coined it and i took it and ran with it

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

pals should i pitch some articles on historical animal bloodsports to neodeadspin? you'll find out what "fox tossing" is.

i like that, but i also have an alternative suggestion

listen bud get your money, if i get to read an article about fox tossing so be it

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1238870078231212034

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Extreme Lucille Bluth energy for a guy whose whole gimmick is just being a regular guy

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 14, 2020

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

they can call it "movies 2.0"

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Is that that bad a tweet? It makes sense to me to release things in a different way considering whats happening.

Edit - hmm I guess the price is outlandish I didnt really consider that

Rdit2 - and I guess folks have no money rn

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The real answer is that most theater chains would refuse to screen the movie if they did that

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

morestuff posted:

The real answer is that most theater chains would refuse to screen the movie if they did that

Hard to screen a movie when theatres are shut down

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They tried exactly that a few years ago with Tower Heist I think it was. Price was even higher, over $60 IIRC and yeah, the theaters hated it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Movies being available On Demand simultaneously with theaters has been a thing for a while, it just hasn't happened with many major releases.

Simmons is probably just mad he can't see The Way Back without risking a theater visit and wants a Rich Person Solution to the problem.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

What would you pay to on demand a film in its theatrical release has been a longstanding gimmick of Simmons. I know it's come up before in relation to John Wick and the Fast franchise.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

They tried exactly that a few years ago with Tower Heist I think it was. Price was even higher, over $60 IIRC and yeah, the theaters hated it.
If a studio commits to putting a serious tent pole film on demand it could become a thing, but until then it will just be an idea.

Like Tower Heist was something that the studio would not be risking much by dumping straight to VOD.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Theres no way the theaters would abide a streaming price as low as $50. A family of four seeing it in the evening would be saving money in that scenario.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

If a studio commits to putting a serious tent pole film on demand it could become a thing, but until then it will just be an idea.

Roma and Marriage Story were both big sensations, but I don't know if they boosted Netflix's revenues at all.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Could pay half a million to make your own theater and rent the movies from Netflix. https://www.forbes.com/sites/curtissilver/2016/07/01/imax-private-theatre-is-the-best-400k-youll-never-spend/#214e99ef7436

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I think there is a service that does exactly that but it's something ridiculous like $1,500 a movie.

The X-man cometh posted:

Roma and Marriage Story were both big sensations, but I don't know if they boosted Netflix's revenues at all.

Netflix is more worried about stickiness of subscribers than they are about getting new revenue. They want 5-6 of those "Sensations" every year so people feel like they shouldn't cancel. They specifically don't measure ROI on individual projects like that (which is also why they cancel things so fast when they don't catch fire).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/Simone_Biles/status/1238900533567651840?s=20

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Don't know where else to put this, but Minneapolis-St. Paul sports journalism & radio legend Sid Hartman, who is SO GODDAMN OLD THAT HE WAS ONCE THE GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MINNEAPOLIS LAKERS, celebrates his 100th birthday tomorrow.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 15, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Still lolling at the fact deadspin decided to come back the moment all the sports were cancelled.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Still lolling at the fact deadspin decided to come back the moment all the sports were cancelled.

The real reason Gobert touched all the mics, he wanted Zombie Deadspin to starve to death.

Extremely shortsighted but drat if it ever working.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

eh, it looks like they were gonna launch in a week or two, and if they held off its have been even stupider

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
ummm

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

tell me that's fake

someone please tell me that's fake

:stare:

E: seems to be.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/frandrescher/status/1239320853671641089?s=20

TAke a look, y'all:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rovells Anne Frank tweet seems not that stupid to me, adjusting for the Tweeter and the subject matter. I would go so far as to agree with the basic premise that self quarantine from a mostly non lethal virus is preferable to being a Jew hiding from sinister agents carrying out the Final Solution.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 16, 2020