Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
After 2 and a half days I got my wandoos up high enough to beat boss 37, then went all in on danger scissors to get through boss 40 and level 1 of no rebirth. Was like 5k safety scissors and 2k danger scissors. Woo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sibling of TB posted:

After 2 and a half days I got my wandoos up high enough to beat boss 37, then went all in on danger scissors to get through boss 40 and level 1 of no rebirth. Was like 5k safety scissors and 2k danger scissors. Woo.

Hell yeah! It's little bits of progress slowly, that's the name of the game. I'm at the point where I did all the No Augs, Equip, Basics, and all the 100 Level Challenges. And I've done half the No Rebirths. I could do more of them but I don't want to sit on an ascension for over a day to do those. And I'm aiming for Badly Drawn World + to start working on other ascensions.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
In NGU is there any reason to let Yggdrasil fruits advance to Tier 2 if I'm not away from the game?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pope Guilty posted:

In NGU is there any reason to let Yggdrasil fruits advance to Tier 2 if I'm not away from the game?

yes, they get exponentially better. Specifically 1 to 2 is probably extremely close to 2 1s but as you get up 23 to 24 is significantly better than a 23 and a 1.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

pixaal posted:

yes, they get exponentially better. Specifically 1 to 2 is probably extremely close to 2 1s but as you get up 23 to 24 is significantly better than a 23 and a 1.

Okay, I'm just getting started with Yggdrasil and wasn't sure if it was actually better or if it was just storing up extra charges, if that makes sense, a convenience for idle players. Thank you!

E: Holy poo poo it's Vic and Kenny from Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, there's my day made!

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 14, 2020

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So I’ve just got to the point where I can idle Beast v4, and I’ve maxed my Chocolate set. When do I jump to Evil? Do I wait to max the power pill and the other item?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Oodles posted:

So I’ve just got to the point where I can idle Beast v4, and I’ve maxed my Chocolate set. When do I jump to Evil? Do I wait to max the power pill and the other item?

I remember waiting, although it probably doesn't matter that much. Make sure you finish your challenges before you make the jump~

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Eldercain posted:

I remember waiting, although it probably doesn't matter that much. Make sure you finish your challenges before you make the jump~

Also be prepared for everything to suck when you jump to evil.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pope Guilty posted:

Pope Guilty posted:

Okay, I'm just getting started with Yggdrasil and wasn't sure if it was actually better or if it was just storing up extra charges, if that makes sense, a convenience for idle players. Thank you!

E: Holy poo poo it's Vic and Kenny from Most Extreme Elimination Challenge, there's my day made!

One exception that won't be applicable ever. But the MacGuffin B fruit is better to eat on cool down. It doesn't matter much at all as mcguffin bonuses are pretty minuscule.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

as was said, most fruits except for the fruit of quirks grow exponentially. the mayo fruits get a bonus of Level^1.1, the other fruits get a bonus of Level^1.5 which means that a tier 10 non-mayo fruit is about 32 times better than the tier 1

quirk is straight linear though, level 2 is twice as good as level 1, level 10 is 10 x as good as level 1 etc

furit of macguffin beta technically is bettter off eating individual levels at least if you want levels and not seeds

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
I've put my WIP game up in a sort of alpha on kongregate if you guys want to take a poke at it. It's extremely early but feedback on the general concept would be appreciated.

https://www.kongregate.com/games/so...6e175ede3613c4c

(need to be logged OUT for link to work. it's weird.)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

something posted:

I've put my WIP game up in a sort of alpha on kongregate if you guys want to take a poke at it. It's extremely early but feedback on the general concept would be appreciated.

This seems pretty neat, is your intention with the limited space that people will be tearing down/rebuilding their whole base to meet certain goals? This does fit the Factorio feel pretty well and I appreciate how easy you made it to remove everything by just painting with the RMB held down.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Yep absolutely, its meant to have the lowest barrier to remodeling as possible to minimize feelings of tedium.

Blueprints will be added eventually too, to save common layouts. ( the UI atm is just a dummy)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

quirk is straight linear though, level 2 is twice as good as level 1, level 10 is 10 x as good as level 1 etc

This I did not know but first harvest still exists so by the time you have it probably better to wait anyways

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Looking around the various locked tiles to see which ones you can feasibly unlock is really fiddly.

Is the intention that buildings will eventually have things like adjacency to work with, or is the map an abstraction over "you can have this many buildings at once"?

Also reporting that I went to settings and switched the suffix to "stupid" immediately as soon as I noticed it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I was trying to figure out if there was a reason to build buildings in some organized way but it looks like other than making it easier to see how many of a thing you're making there's not. Some adjacency bonus mechanics would definitely make sense because as of now it does feel like an abstraction of what would normally be some bars with arrows but there could be some mechanics behind the act of building. It feels to me like the buildings should cost materials to make, maybe have it increase each time you build one or something.

I thought the locked tiles are tough to work with as well, there doesn't seem to be any order behind how they're laid out, some very easily accomplished tiles are deep behind tiles that I haven't even seen the material it wants yet. I find myself mousing over all of the tiles every time I am actively working on unlocking one because I either forget where it is or forget how much of a thing I need to unlock it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
After moving to Evil I've noticed that it offline progress for some blood magic that takes a long time seems not to work? Like if I have 18 hours left for Turn Yourself Inside Out and I shut off the program overnight and come back in the morning it'll have made no progress

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Enjoying the fun preview for NGU Industries and looking forward to its future development! Excited to join the Ore Boyz

E: Having decimals in production stats might be helpful with a better understanding of some of the fractional production times.

Solid Poopsnake fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 15, 2020

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Once you get a bit further in you'll unlock beacons, and that's where building positioning will have its day in the sun. Right now I only have these basic box shaped beacons in the game, but here will be a variety of beacons in exotic shapes, more than just a simple box, and being able to minmax their area of effect will yield more production/s than otherwise. To avoid overloading the players I'm waiting til the tier 3 research to introduce them, but if you feel they could be unlocked sooner let me know!

And yeah, another thing on my QOL list is highlighting which locked tiles are possible* for you to get by say, making them brighter/darker

*possible meaning, you have all the materials they require at least unlocked

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

something posted:

You just made me realize I wasn't on Kongregate since You put the game on Steam

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Other suggestions I'm just going to spew out:

- Make the production screen show the rate of production for the current set of buildings, instead of "here's what they actually produced over the past X time".
- Have an option for showing net production (produced - consumed), so people aren't mathing super hard (or staring at a number that's jumping around and trying to gauge whether it's going up or down in aggregate) when trying to set up something to idle with.
- Have those numbers on the building panel instead of needing to go into a separate screen.
- Have an auto-place mechanism, something like click a building in the panel and it appears somewhere on the map; right-click deletes a building on the map. Yes, it'll mostly be useful pre-beacons. Have it on by default and tell people how to turn it off when beacons unlock.
- Unlocking tiles one at a time feels super anticlimactic. What the heck am I going to do with one extra building? It would be better if they were more expensive but unlocked, say, 5-10 at a time, enough that you feel like you can do something meaningful with that space.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Net gain is already in, you just have to toggle to it. It needs to be on a seperate screen though cause, well... do you see space for that huge amount of numbers and data breakdowns in the little panel to the left? :v:

As for unlocking, it doesnt make sense to only unlock in batches because i lose the ability to define specific shapes vs tile by tile. I can also just arbitrarily set the costs anyways such that unlocking some specific area of tiles is the same as having a function to do it all at once anyways, so i don't understand why that feels so necessary.

fake edit: actually, moving it into the building panel maybe isnt impossible...

something fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 15, 2020

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's room for the amount of it that you currently have, right? It's not that much of a stretch to make it say "1M/s" instead of "1M" or whatever.

On unlocking tiles - imagine if in NGU, the only reward for reaching a new adventure zone/titan was like, a 1% increase to E/M cap. That's kinda what unlocking tiles one at a time feels like. If you unlock a whole swath it once instead, it feels like a big reward for putting together the new component needed to unlock that area. Since it requires active decision-making to take advantage of (unlike the research passive boosts, which you get some benefit from practically immediately), having that progression come in bigger discrete chunks makes that effort feel more worthwhile.

That's all just my perception though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I found the net gain panel in the track production screen (it's not super obvious that it's back there) but it would be nice to see that without having to flip back to the production tab and then go back to factory if I'm trying to make it as efficient as possible. I don't have an example on hand because it's hard finding an image of it but in one of the last Anno games (I think it was 2070) they switched to only tracking net gain/losses instead of individual items produced, so rather than seeing '150 Grain' when you check your resources, you see '+5 Grain' with a green up arrow to show that you're making way more than you need, so as you build more homes or whatever you can easily see if you're breaking even or now working with a defect. A resource tracker like that off to the side would be nice to see.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
A screenshot of some of the changes:

Not sure how you guys feels about the buildings pods on the left, but that gives the text enough space to display the production stats so I can fold that menu into here with some work. It would have to be toggled to replace your current material counts with it - there's just no space to show both at the same time.

I also shaded the locked tiles with dim(don't have the materials unlocked even, don't think about it) bright (could theoretically unlock) and green (can afford it RIGHT NOW).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think the changes look good.

The left menu looks good, and the different colours of locked icons looks like it'd make a huge difference.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
When you unlock Evil NGUs, do you have to switch between Normal and Evil NGUs if you want to make progress in one or the other?

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Blattdorf posted:

When you unlock Evil NGUs, do you have to switch between Normal and Evil NGUs if you want to make progress in one or the other?

Yes, but there is a quirk to fix that

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Eldercain posted:

Yes, but there is a quirk to fix that

It sucks that I've noticed this only now since I still need to push the bottom three Normal NGUs and Magic NGUs. Honestly, this part is underexplained or maybe I've missed the explanation somewhere.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You won't get a good NGU PP until a bit of early Evil, maybe during the Nerd V1, so it still checks out.

The recursive NGUs are definitely making a difference in my times but I never felt like dumping enough E/M on them, just trying my best to cap PP and Adventure B and then putting the rest there, if there was any.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"Meow."

Samuringa posted:

You won't get a good NGU PP until a bit of early Evil, maybe during the Nerd V1, so it still checks out.

The recursive NGUs are definitely making a difference in my times but I never felt like dumping enough E/M on them, just trying my best to cap PP and Adventure B and then putting the rest there, if there was any.

I've decided to cap Normal NGUs and let them run for a while - the boost to my stats is nuts, and that's only after several minutes. I've had Evil NGUs running for a while, so the extra multiplier is probably making a difference. Nonetheless, it's worth pushing those Normal NGUs for a bit if you see a decent increase.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

Ygg and EXP are the two most important magic NGUs by far, and they are also cheapest to cap.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
I meant NGU Magic NGU and NGU Energy NGU when I said recursive, which now I realize is even more weird than just writing their actual names.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Samuringa posted:

I meant NGU Magic NGU and NGU Energy NGU when I said recursive, which now I realize is even more weird than just writing their actual names.

My point is you should be capping Ygg and EXP before worrying about capping anything else in Magic NGUs.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
Oh sure but that should be no trouble if they're already in Evil.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Softcap the NGUs in your new difficulty asap then go back to the previous difficulty’s NGUs.

You can train normal NGUs while in Evil mode

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Blattdorf posted:

It sucks that I've noticed this only now since I still need to push the bottom three Normal NGUs and Magic NGUs. Honestly, this part is underexplained or maybe I've missed the explanation somewhere.

Funny story: I just unlocked the 15kQP evilNGU quirk myself, last night. I went on Discord to ask about balancing nNGU E/M vs. eNGU and was hailed as the biggest idiot ever.

I, too, thought that E/M assigned to nNGUs kinda "sat there" even when I switched to eNGUs. More specifically, I'd "Cap All" normal NGUs to BB, and then (since I assumed those stayed at max speed), I'd check the box to look at eNGUs and think about where to apply my additional E/M. My assumption was that the nNGUs kept going at Cap, then also the eNGUs were going on their own track, especially since I can readily toggle between the two. Again, discord thought this was an incredibly stupid assumption. Maybe it is.

However, I cannot find anywhere in-game where this confusion would be set straight. I honestly think the discord crew knows it because they are all sharing knowledge, but I really believe it's unclear in the game (stand-alone).

tl;dr
Anyway, 4g, any reason the E/M doesn't dump out of NGUs when switching between Normal and Evil?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i am at the beginning of ngu and nothing any of what you say makes any sense

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cobalt60 posted:

However, I cannot find anywhere in-game where this confusion would be set straight. I honestly think the discord crew knows it because they are all sharing knowledge, but I really believe it's unclear in the game (stand-alone).
I intuited that they didn't 'stay' in a hidden Normal screen from the assigned E/M staying assigned to the same NGUs in Evil as it was in Normal.