Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Maybe he wants them to make huge iron lungs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Shut up Meg posted:

To quote Jeremy Clarkson 'How hard can it be?'

plastic and metal with some electronic parts? pretty easy actually

edit: technically anyway. logistically and politically are different matters

VectorSigma fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 15, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'd believe UK manufacturing capacity is still largely unspecialized workbench based cells that they could flip a switch on output with the right procedures and schematics. There's a few examples of people saying "gently caress that I can do that in my garage" and they can in fact and mostly went out of business because you just can't not do volume manufacturing on the isles because of raw input cost which I take to understand the large scale British producers are actually just large garages.

All that remains is who you need to bribe to make sure the posh hospitals get the ventilators made Tue-Thur and the rest get the defects from Mon and Fri.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You wouldn't have a single factory building the whole thing, obviously. In that sort of wartime production model you turn over factories to build parts that are relatively similar to what they already built. In WW2, for instance, furniture makers switched over to building wooden aircraft frames and car manufacturers started building aero engines, but the pieces were still put together at the airplane factory.

In this case you might have a plastic injection molding firm switching from plastic toys to making hoses and mouthpieces, while a manufacturer of plumbing fixtures produces the gas fittings, and an electronics fab builds the circuit boards, etc. and then everything is assembled into ventilators at a central location.

So now you just need to go to all the manufacturers of plastic toys and plumbing fittings and circuit boards in the UK, and

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

So now you just need to go to all the manufacturers of plastic toys and plumbing fittings and circuit boards in the UK, and

which doesn't work even if you find all the mythical plastic plants in the UK, because consumer and medical plastics production are two completely different ball games.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shut up Meg posted:

A Unipart oil filter:

A Rolls-Royce aeroplane engine:

To quote Jeremy Clarkson 'How hard can it be?'

Boom, I got it. Hook up a tube to each side of the jet engine. One to get positive pressure, and one to get negative pressure, then valve those two tubes into one tube via a spinning disc and some check valves, so that the single tube is either sucking or blowing. There's your new ventilator. In fact, one engine should have enough power to do a full hospital's worth of ventilation. Put some in-line oil filters on there to reduce the taste of jet fuel and exhaust, and to block infectious spray.

A quick trip to the hardware store and you've got yourself a high speed ventilator for 400 people!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MRC48B posted:

which doesn't work even if you find all the mythical plastic plants in the UK, because consumer and medical plastics production are two completely different ball games.

yes in a normal situation.

not really in the case where there's a national state of emergency and you're temporarily seizing private industry for the good of the nation. having to suck on a toy-grade ABS mouthpiece for a week is better than dying of respiratory failure

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Sagebrush posted:

yes in a normal situation.

not really in the case where there's a national state of emergency and you're temporarily seizing private industry for the good of the nation. having to suck on a toy-grade ABS mouthpiece for a week is better than dying of respiratory failure

Nobody who thought this one up has talked to anyone in any engineering firm, there's no supplies left of the components we can't make in the UK because China exports are way down. So good luck. We can probably make miles of non-sterile tubes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'd be a lot more happy to go to work if we were to to reverse engineering some parts for the machinists to spit out hundreds of.

Or if CAT was told to do that and they came to us to turn around some machining fixtures on the quick.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The only way this could get more hilarious is if there's a single German factory that could have done it.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If you waive regulations due to the crisis, it's possible to ramp up production of a lot of medical supplies and equipment. It would still take weeks to make and qualify tooling, reorganize supply lines etc, as well as intensive manual labor and a lot of money.

Not saying it's a great idea, but it is possible and worth looking into as much as any other option.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
You've all given more though tot this than any member of the UK government. A factory is a factory. They make things?? Just make the things we need?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
yeah just like in videogames.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

TTerrible posted:

You've all given more though tot this than any member of the UK government. A factory is a factory. They make things?? Just make the things we need?

You just right click the factory, and change the recipe! You may need to lay different yellow belts of raw materials, but if you have iron and copper nearby you're golden!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLiXwMQW_VQ

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Nth Doctor posted:

You just right click the factory, and change the recipe! You may need to lay different yellow belts of raw materials, but if you have iron and copper nearby you're golden!

The UK is tired of experts.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

OctaMurk posted:

If you waive regulations due to the crisis, it's possible to ramp up production of a lot of medical supplies and equipment. It would still take weeks to make and qualify tooling, reorganize supply lines etc, as well as intensive manual labor and a lot of money.

Not saying it's a great idea, but it is possible and worth looking into as much as any other option.

Yeah biomedical equipment regulations are about as strict as it gets for product design and production.

And if you waive them you're going to kill a whole bunch of people who would not "just have died anyway"

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
We joke, but 'videogame or worker-placement boardgame' seems to be the total understanding and experience that most politions have of anything involving manual labor.

Except for the ones that maintain a hobby-farm with a few pet horses. For them it's all "work is fun, how could anyone _get paid_ to do this and still complain?!"

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I can't make any ventilators, I'm all out of vespene gas.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I worked at a modular home company that didnt give sick leave (or allow hard hats, since they “were a union symbol”) and they had one guy come in while he was sick.

180 of the 200 employees ended up getting noro and missing at least two days.
Hahahaha I never cease to be amazed by US working conditions.

ekuNNN posted:

is just random people getting flu shots an american thing? I think they only give them to elderly people here
You've never gotten an actual flu before? I'd pay for the shots out of pocket if work didn't just to avoid (and avoid my family) going through that poo poo ever again.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 15, 2020

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

In my experience, the people who constantly get "stomach flu" or "food poisoning" are conveniently always getting it at the exact same time, usually the day after a weekend or holiday.

Often the time you have a bit of different food or try the cafe in funny looking shack by the sea is on holiday or weekend. So it will be first day back it will hit you.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Varkk posted:

Often the time you have a bit of different food or try the cafe in funny looking shack by the sea is on holiday or weekend. So it will be first day back it will hit you.

Do I just have an iron stomach? I’m always trying different restaurants or cooking, and I travel a ton for work and pleasure, and I’ve never gotten food poisoning, let alone every single Sunday.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All this talk of ventilator manufacturing is really misplaced because according to prelim data coming out of china p much every needing ventilation ended up croaking.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Do I just have an iron stomach? I’m always trying different restaurants or cooking, and I travel a ton for work and pleasure, and I’ve never gotten food poisoning, let alone every single Sunday.

I'd say pretty much the same thing. I can think of exactly one occasion where I am certain I got food poisoning, and that was a restaurant at the coast where I decided to try a fried oyster poboy (I usually avoid oysters) and a few hours later my intestines liquefied. It was memorable, and I had never experienced symptoms like that before and haven't since.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Hexyflexy posted:

Nobody who thought this one up has talked to anyone in any engineering firm,

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MRC48B posted:

Games Workshop are a world leader in plastics, and get hired to do auto industry prototyping on the side. No idea if they can do medical though. I suspect they'd fall down on issues of hygiene.

The real 'OSHA' here is that the government should have been doing this at least a month ago. China bought us time with a truly herculean effort, and the government here are only now starting to talk about courses of action in terms that sound a lot like panic.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Games Workshop are a world leader in plastics, and get hired to do auto industry prototyping on the side. No idea if they can do medical though. I suspect they'd fall down on issues of hygiene.

The real 'OSHA' here is that the government should have been doing this at least a month ago. China bought us time with a truly herculean effort, and the government here are only now starting to talk about courses of action in terms that sound a lot like panic.

China didn't really buy anyone time since they let it spread unchecked for over a month before locking down. What they did though is to give an example of what needs to be done if you did leave this disease to spread through your population unchecked for a month. This is a lesson which has been taken aboard by the UK govahahahahahahhaa...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
One of the measures China took was family separation.

That has Western governments salivating, till they learn it has to be done to the ethnic majority.

Most infections happen within a family. If you screen* the kid and she has the virus, she’s put up in the Corona Inn and her parents are not.

* In an isolated facility, not the great incubator that is the ER.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

TTerrible posted:

I just read the wiki page for Sweet Sweetback and this is just the tip of the iceberg :derp:

Yeah, it's whole production is a saga. It's not the finest movie ever made. But it's made with a lot of passion and that passion makes it interesting to watch. And it has the greatest tagline in film. Rated X by an all white jury.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

As others pointed out to you the chinese govt let it run rampant for a good long while before clamping down hard.
The UK govt seems intent on running a strategy of herd immunity through controlled contamination, which is basically fueling the fire with the bodies of the vulnerable and unlucky. It''s going to blow in their loving faces.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

evil_bunnY posted:

As others pointed out to you the chinese govt let it run rampant for a good long while before clamping down hard.
The UK govt seems intent on running a strategy of herd immunity through controlled contamination, which is basically fueling the fire with the bodies of the vulnerable and unlucky. It''s going to blow in their loving faces.

Counterpoint: the majority of the dead will be idiot boomers who wanted Brexit, so a new referendum after they're all dead might just flip it back to remaining. UK government is just playing 3D chess while the Brexiteers are out playing checkers.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I don't think coronavirus knows political leaning.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

evil_bunnY posted:

It also assumes we can get a herd immunity that would last. It's entirely possible it'll mutate like flu and without a vaccine you'd have to go through it all again. Abject insanity.

grillster posted:

I don't think coronavirus knows political leaning.

The Tory party rely on voters in their 70s to keep them in power. Brexit was disproportionately supported by people in their 60s and up. If they really gently caress this up then yes, Brexit supporters will be culled.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I just made a simple statement about a virus not knowing politics.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

grillster posted:

I just made a simple statement about a virus not knowing politics.

The virus knows age and our politics maps to age. The age at which the virus starts to have an appreciable mortality rate coincidentally happens to be the age where people start to turn into Tories.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/iseHSU4.mp4

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

VectorSigma posted:

plastic and metal with some electronic parts? pretty easy actually

edit: technically anyway. logistically and politically are different matters

Lol, I used to write software at a startup which was building a new medical ventilator, and actually it's not technically that easy. It's really easy to push air into and out of someone's lungs, but doing so safely, consistently, and therapeutically takes several years of R&D. You really don't want to stack barotrauma on top of your pneumonia because that will definitely kill you.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

TTerrible posted:

Many custom molders are in fact set up this way. I dont know about UK/Europe but there are many companies in the US who can tool up to make pretty much any component, and have large assembly workforce. Quite a few are even qualified for medical devices, with clean room molding and assembly. I would assume that UK has several given that there are plenty of engineering firms in the UK that would demand those services.

In any case, rushing a medical device into new production is impossible unless you waive many regulations. And the regulations exist for very good reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

OctaMurk posted:

I really don't want to die or to permanently lose lung function because my Walmart special ventilator popped my alveoli.