Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That Works posted:

Wife and I are watching Contagion again now to see how it held up. You can rent it on amazon afaik.

I gotta say the CDC scenes especially are fantastically well done for a movie and are very much exactly how we work in these kind of research labs. They don't try to make it look like cool hollywood science poo poo etc.

The virus in the movie is a bit faster, a bit more lethal, but also not like way way more than covid19. It's a good watch for the science layman imo.

Also good cast / production value.

Honestly the idiot blogger is the most accurate part of the whole film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Honestly the idiot blogger is the most accurate part of the whole film

True.

It's just very rare to see a big Hollywood film depict science labs / lab operations etc so well. One of the technical advisors is Laurie Garret who I've linked in here before and is a badass on epidemiology reporting etc, won a Pulitzer for it.

If any of you want to read fairly accessible science stuff on this, I highly recommend 'The Coming Plague' by her.

Her entire body of work is basically explaining how we are not prepared for this kind of thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurie_Garrett

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Wife and I are watching Contagion again now to see how it held up. You can rent it on amazon afaik.

I gotta say the CDC scenes especially are fantastically well done for a movie and are very much exactly how we work in these kind of research labs. They don't try to make it look like cool hollywood science poo poo etc.

The virus in the movie is a bit faster, a bit more lethal, but also not like way way more than covid19. It's a good watch for the science layman imo.

Now watch outbreak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZq_z08pLqI

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nah we doin Dawn of the Dead remake for this double feature.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Intro of the Dawn of the Dead remake was 100% good poo poo. The rest was okay too.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Intro of the Dawn of the Dead remake was 100% good poo poo. The rest was okay too.

Literally the only good Zack Synder movie, and hilariously it was his first feature film.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

goatsestretchgoals posted:

That beginning is hands down the best thing from any zombie film/show thats been made.

E) that and just the general chaos at the start with all the cars crashing everywhere

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lol I did a double feature the other day

Outbreak wasn't bad just the tacked on helicopter chase was completely unnecessary

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Oh hey, there's a debate tonight.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Untagged posted:

Oh hey, there's a debate tonight.

But I'm already watching two old rear end zombies make incoherent points amidst chaos- we are all watching Dawn of the Dead.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That beginning is hands down the best thing from any zombie film/show thats been made.

E) that and just the general chaos at the start with all the cars crashing everywhere

I still remember sitting in the theatre watching that long zoom out shot from the helicopter when that car clips an ambulance and explodes into a gas station. Everyone in the theatre was like "gently caress yeah" all at once.

That movie ruled, especially watching it late with a bunch of drunk people in the theatre.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That Works posted:

Yeah I saw it shortly after I wrapped up interning/working with FEMA (during the H1N1 outbreak).

It was surprisingly good at portraying dealing with state government officials that are too pig headed to see reason.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I take part of that back, the virus in Contagion started moving faster, was a good bit more lethal than covid19.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Seriously Jude Law playing the moron blogger being like I CAUGHT YOU OUT ON ONE THING THEREFORE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU IS FALSE NOW BUY MY HOMEOPATHIC STUFF was :discourse:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

That Works posted:

I take part of that back, the virus in Contagion started moving faster, was a good bit more lethal than covid19.

Oh yeah the virus in that movie is like the T-1000 of viruses.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

NFL no longer suspending for weed

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2881064-nfl-cba-biggest-changes-to-drug-testing-salary-schedule-playoffs-and-more

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Can they smoke up on the field? That'd get me watching.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

That Works posted:

I still remember sitting in the theatre watching that long zoom out shot from the helicopter when that car clips an ambulance and explodes into a gas station. Everyone in the theatre was like "gently caress yeah" all at once.

Hell yea thats the exact shot I was thinking of :hfive:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Literally the only good Zack Synder movie, and hilariously it was his first feature film.

Suckerpunch would be heralded as one of the greatest movies of the decade if it came out last year. It was ahead of its time and I'm so disappointed how few people understand it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Seriously Jude Law playing the moron blogger being like I CAUGHT YOU OUT ON ONE THING THEREFORE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU IS FALSE NOW BUY MY HOMEOPATHIC STUFF was :discourse:

Ugh yeah... it's pretty right on.

Old friend of mine in Texas catches me out of the blue today and asks me what I think about the virus (knowing Im a microbiologist and he's a photographer). When I mention that yeah its kinda bad and worse than we initially thought and worse than anything we've had hit the US in our lifetimes he just kinda goes "nah its all overblown there's nothing unusual here" then goes on to bitch about how mad he is that they shut down all of his upcoming trade fairs etc where he sells his poo poo.

I tried to mention that the numbers were not great and he should be more prepared (because he has 3 very young kids at home, 1 who is diabetic and has other health problems). He said he didn't hear they were bad. I told him to stop watching Fox news and he says "Eh even they are overblowing it". So I link him like 5 different news articles and stuff directly from CDC and WHO. One of the links was from NYT.

He spends the next few minutes just talking about how the NYT is bullshit and fake and that I should know better than try to spread propaganda.

He's not an old friend anymore.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

Suckerpunch would be heralded as one of the greatest movies of the decade if it came out last year. It was ahead of its time and I'm so disappointed how few people understand it.

On the one hand, I have not seen Sucker Punch.

On the other, lmao at this entire post.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

That Works posted:

Ugh yeah... it's pretty right on.

Old friend of mine in Texas catches me out of the blue today and asks me what I think about the virus (knowing Im a microbiologist and he's a photographer). When I mention that yeah its kinda bad and worse than we initially thought and worse than anything we've had hit the US in our lifetimes he just kinda goes "nah its all overblown there's nothing unusual here" then goes on to bitch about how mad he is that they shut down all of his upcoming trade fairs etc where he sells his poo poo.

I tried to mention that the numbers were not great and he should be more prepared (because he has 3 very young kids at home, 1 who is diabetic and has other health problems). He said he didn't hear they were bad. I told him to stop watching Fox news and he says "Eh even they are overblowing it". So I link him like 5 different news articles and stuff directly from CDC and WHO. One of the links was from NYT.

He spends the next few minutes just talking about how the NYT is bullshit and fake and that I should know better than try to spread propaganda.

He's not an old friend anymore.

Sounds like he called you to tell you you were wrong

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Those sorts of people dont actually ever want a conversation, just to tell you whatever stupid poo poo is already cemented in their heads as "facts"

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

On the one hand, I have not seen Sucker Punch.

On the other, lmao at this entire post.

I think it is on Netflix. You should really check it out. It's a pretty good #MeToo movie.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

I think it is on Netflix. You should really check it out. It's a pretty good #MeToo movie.

It is not on Netflix. And I seriously doubt your understanding of the Me Too movement.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm seriously not believing that Sucker Punch is a good movie. Saying that just feels like goonspeak.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1238303944151007232

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm seriously not believing that Sucker Punch is a good movie. Saying that just feels like goonspeak.

Pretty sure it was panned in CineD. Watch the movie with an open mind and see what you think.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The opposite reading is true! The opposite reading is true! I've been to college!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mlmp08 posted:

It is not on Netflix. And I seriously doubt your understanding of the Me Too movement.

The entire movie is about the victimization and exploitation of woman in pop culture, movies and video games explicitly, and how complicit all men are, including viewers.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sounds like he called you to tell you you were wrong

Yeah which is odd because we haven't really talked in years beyond just chatting on steam and shooting people together online now and then. For someone who didn't really think it was a big deal its odd he calls up the only microbiology PhD he knows and goes on and on about how its nothing. Some brain broken over there.

I basically just told him he was dumb and to gently caress off and that I hope his kids stayed safe and to lose my number.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Well watched enough of that debate, now back to Metro: Exodus.

I will say though that man, Biden better hit that VP pick out of the park. I don't buy the "he's got dementia" argument a lot of people on Twitter make, but it is pretty drat apparent he's well past his prime. (Also his strategy of just denying poo poo instead of owning up to it is just... for gently caress's sake, Joe)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Chichevache posted:

Pretty sure it was panned in CineD. Watch the movie with an open mind and see what you think.

I've tried sitting through it, wasn't terribly impressed or interested. I have a real problem with movies that aren't well grounded in reality enough to make me interested. The same problem gets in the way of a lot of sci-fi for me, but occasionally something gets through while my brain is off.

Sucker Punch is not one of those movies.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Sucker Punch was a good movie that got a lot of undeserved hate. The soundtrack is great, the visuals were good (at the time) and it's fun.
You can get all heavy into it, or you can enjoy a B29 fighting a loving dragon. Even if you go heavy into the story and themes, it's still a good movie.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1239354007392567296?s=20

To be a pundit and be this terrible is just staggering

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Sucker punch was awful. Sorry for your brain OP.

The story was junk, it was completely incoherent, the visuals have not aged well at all.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Chichevache posted:

The entire movie is about the victimization and exploitation of woman in pop culture, movies and video games explicitly, and how complicit all men are, including viewers.

Feels like I could and/or did watch other, better-reviewed shows about these same themes.

I would consider watching it for free (hell, I tried to watch Alita on an airplane, but gave up), but even the critics who liked it either are saying "yeah, it's a loving garbage mess, but I like it," or they are straight up saying they like it explicitly because they missed the point and just like hot chicks in sexy clothing killing things.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Well watched enough of that debate, now back to Metro: Exodus.

I will say though that man, Biden better hit that VP pick out of the park. I don't buy the "he's got dementia" argument a lot of people on Twitter make, but it is pretty drat apparent he's well past his prime. (Also his strategy of just denying poo poo instead of owning up to it is just... for gently caress's sake, Joe)

It's been rumored to be Harris for a while and he pretty much confirmed it tonight.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sounds like maybe Snyder was a bad choice for Sucker Punch, if it's supposed to highlight the bad side of stereotypes for pop culture women. Maybe put, I don't know, a woman in the director chair instead?

If something is going to tell me I'm bad for watching whatever for any reason, they should just come out and say it up front instead of trying to hide it in themes and special effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Arven posted:

It's been rumored to be Harris for a while and he pretty much confirmed it tonight.

lol we'd never get legal weed.