Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
It's entirely predictable that all the people who bitched and whined about the imminent dictatorship of Trump for nearly four years are pivoting to this being no time for division. We must unify and look to the leadership of führer Biden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm not even talking about just the debates. I mean the campaign in general. There are going to be so many ads of Joe being "sleepy" and Biden will handle it poorly.

I don’t think sleepy joe or senile joe is going to matter as much in the general. Biden vs Trump is just a referendum on Trump, and no one is going to care that Joe lost a step or 200. Trump being gone and the government being more competently staffed is all that matters.

If the economy has recovered, Trump wins. If it hasn’t, he loses. Bernie needed to swing for the fences today, not that it get him to the point where he wins a majority of delegates, but it could have helped close the gap to show the force of the movement he has. Tonight didn’t move the needle, and Bernie getting beaten by 20-25 points in a lot of the remaining contests diminishes the power the left has in the party.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CowboyKid posted:

Biden is the guy. Get in line, a non vote is a vote for Trump.

get hosed

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Retro42 posted:

It kinda already has. At least enough to have Biden winning the primaries he has.

Old people yeah, they came out in droves. But we're going to need everybody to turn out. Contrary to some people in this thread the youth vote did rise too, what does Biden have that will make young people vote?

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

CowboyKid posted:

It's over. Bernie needed Biden to dodder. He didn't. Delegate lead is too much to overcome.

I don't give a poo poo, I didn't vote for Joe in the primary and I'm not going to vote for Joe in the general either. Enjoy your 4 More Years, cretin.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

SeANMcBAY posted:

Sorry, not gonna work on me this time. I'm not voting for either racist sex creep that love putting people in cages.

You're supporting Trump, though, so your post is very self contradicting.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

OK cool. So in essence we're hosed.

I mean, we already were. Now we're double hosed or something.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Majorian posted:

Anyone who thinks winning a Democratic primary translates to winning a general election is too dumb to be allowed to talk about politics.

Dismissing the desires of the average voter to just want “Not Trump” probably lost Bernie the primary. It’s a legitimate desire of a large portion of the electorate.

We are all stuck in so deep we forget all the other people out there who vote too.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Retro42 posted:

Dismissing the desires of the average voter to just want “Not Trump” probably lost Bernie the primary. It’s a legitimate desire of a large portion of the electorate.

We are all stuck in so deep we forget all the other people out there who vote too.

Sorry, I’m not voting for Hillary.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Without catching up with the thread: Bernie had a good debate. He won. He also demonstrated that he would be a better opponent against Trump than Biden could possibly hope to be. One criticism I have is that he didn't knife Biden with that "I'm considering a Republican VP" poo poo when he had the chance, but oh well.

It's not going to move the needle. Bernie didn't scoop out Biden's brains and use them for Play-Doh like he needed to. Most of the brain-damaged Democratic electorate have chosen their horse in this race. Their lovely, segregationist, demented horse - and tonight isn't going to change their decorum-addled little brains. Second-worst electorate in the country, folks: Biden is going to get the nomination.

That said:

Kirios posted:

It's not going to matter. This thread in general needs to stop being in denial and move beyond the primary season.
gently caress that. Bernie should go all the way to the convention and get as many delegates as he can. He should extract every concession he can. He should make the shitbird liberals in the DNC as uncomfortable as he can, for as long as he can. He should make them suffer, and he should make the idiots who voted for Biden, suffer. Suffer because they think he's hurting Biden's chances in the general.

MSDOS KAPITAL fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 16, 2020

CowboyKid
May 29, 2008
Not choosing the lesser of two evils is idiocy. Anyone but trump.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Old people yeah, they came out in droves. But we're going to need everybody to turn out. Contrary to some people in this thread the youth vote did rise too, what does Biden have that will make young people vote?

Wait wait WAIT...are you telling me that browbeating them and saying that not voting is a vote for Trump is not enough to get young people to vote?

Retro42 posted:

Dismissing the desires of the average voter to just want “Not Trump” probably lost Bernie the primary.

Nah, Bernie didn't dismiss those desires.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

MixMasterMalaria posted:

Do you think there's any daylight between Biden and Trump re: climate change?

Yes.

Trump is actively putting climate deniers - people who actively believe "more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is good" - into positions of power. Biden wouldn't do that.

Unfortunately, Biden also probably won't do anything more than try to find some compromise that lets fossil fuel companies maybe cut back on year-over-year emissions increases just a little bit, and that's not enough. The end result would be a delay of the worst effects (compared to the "status quo forever" baseline) rather than the systemic change we need.

A delay is better than Trump's active acceleration, so yes, there's a very real difference between them. But it's not enough to get to where we need to be.

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord
I was maybe considering going to the polls for Biden but all this toxicity from Biden supporters is just harshing my buzz, you know? Maybe if they weren't so hysterical and shouty I would have tossed in my lot, but they just don't want my vote :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so how was the debate?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

A future progressive candidate needs to have a strategy to get through a “rigged” primary. There’s no point in complaining about it - it’s a pre-req for getting to the general if you’re running as a Dem.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CowboyKid posted:

Please don't make this thread unreadable.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

CowboyKid posted:

This is why nothing ever improves.

No one and watch it all burn. From afar.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

What happened to us following the title?
Ignore the new people unless you're telling to just shut up about it.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

shrike82 posted:

A future progressive candidate needs to have a strategy to get through a “rigged” primary. There’s no point in complaining about it - it’s a pre-req for getting to the general if you’re running as a Dem.
The "strategy" is for the Democratic party to go down in flames and something else to replace it.

CowboyKid posted:

Nah.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
hey apropos of nothing but isnt talking about November choices verboten

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

Well neither candidate appeals across the generational spectrum, so I don’t think we really have much standing when we say Bernie will do better in the general. Bernie is as toxic among old voters as Biden is among young voters. Unfortunately, there are way more people 45+, and they vote at a higher rate than their youth counterparts, so all we have done is show that the Democrats can’t win, no matter who they nominate.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

smoobles posted:

You're supporting Trump, though, so your post is very self contradicting.

gently caress off. You're the one supporting Trump by supporting the right wing democrat that has zero support with anyone under 45.

Learn nothing from 2016 and just try again with an even worse candidate than Hillary.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CowboyKid posted:

what's your offer

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Majorian posted:

Nah, Bernie didn't dismiss those desires.

you're right that he didn't dismiss it ("bernie beats trump" was a widely publicized slogan) but probably more accurate to say he simply failed to persuade those voters that he could get the job done. bernie did a great job expanding his reach to a more racially diverse group, but it was mainly among younger voters. but that barely balanced out his significant losses with rural voters (vs. 2016) that ended up siding with biden by a significant margin.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

smoobles posted:

Bernie moving past the woman VP question looks bad

yeah he should have just said yes like he'd planned it. there was no other way out of that that wouldn't be used to dominate the headlines about the debate

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Buglord

SeANMcBAY posted:

gently caress off. You're the one supporting Trump by supporting the right wing democrat that has zero support with anyone under 45.

Learn nothing from 2016 and just try again with an even worse candidate than Hillary.

Libs have been fighting defensive battles their entire lives and they are incapable of understanding that it's possible to go on the attack. It would be sad if they all weren't the most reprehensible people on the planet.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

TyrantWD posted:

Well neither candidate appeals across the generational spectrum, so I don’t think we really have much standing when we say Bernie will do better in the general. Bernie is as toxic among old voters as Biden is among young voters. Unfortunately, there are way more people 45+, and they vote at a higher rate than their youth counterparts, so all we have done is show that the Democrats can’t win, no matter who they nominate.

There is an underlying truth here that the Democratic party as it is now is not a stable coalition.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

CowboyKid posted:

biden isn't the lesser of two evils, he's just the more polite version of the same evil

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Conversely, Bernie has zero support with anyone over 45. The entire race right now boils down to a generational divide really.

Only thing this argument shows is that more olds vote than young people. Considering that means Biden has more votes in more states that means he’s the better choice for candidate. If more young voters voted than olds I’d say the opposite.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Malleum posted:

Libs have been fighting defensive battles their entire lives and they are incapable of understanding that it's possible to go on the attack. It would be sad if they all weren't the most reprehensible people on the planet.

Libs, by definition, do not want things to change. They want a different senile old fool in charge, that’s it.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

President Donald John Trump.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1239372826001408000?s=20

Stuff like this is only the beginning.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

a vote for biden is a vote for everything trump stands for except in a version palatable to different people than trump is

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

Gatts posted:

There was a Biden collapse. He outright lied about his record on Social Security. Lied multiple times.

Biden's been lying about things on national TV since he ran for president in 1987. I wouldn't call that a collapse, i'd call that standard Biden.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmuAB5MqP0Y if you are curious, it's basically what caused him to drop out less than a month later)

Apogee15 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 16, 2020

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost.

Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes. Everybody knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuuCezrAUKk

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Retro42 posted:

Conversely, Bernie has zero support with anyone over 45. The entire race right now boils down to a generational divide really.

Only thing this argument shows is that more olds vote than young people. Considering that means Biden has more votes in more states that means he’s the better choice for candidate. If more young voters voted than olds I’d say the opposite.

A ton of Biden people like Bernie and would go to him if he won. It will not be the other way around.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

A ton of Biden people like Bernie and would go to him if he won. It will not be the other way around.

yeah, because they're cowards

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Exactly. The stark difference in support from independents only highlights how little Biden's successes in the primaries will translate into success in the general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

There is an underlying truth here that the Democratic party as it is now is not a stable coalition.

That’s what happens when one party moves so far to the right. There is quite a wide spectrum of people who decided they don’t want to be proto-nazis, which makes it impossible to find someone acceptable to everyone.