Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, yeah, I figured that scene in her head was pretty obviously a reference to Yisun. Her and Cio's fight/kiss after kind of is too. I guess those tie into the theme of cycles, but I'm also saying there also could literally be an eternal timeloop.

There's also the option of YISUN reforming at some point, ie everything in every universe is destroyed utterly, God spends an instantaneous timeless eternity existing as All in One, then splits up again to remake everything. It's wheels all the way down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Well, yeah, I figured that scene in her head was pretty obviously a reference to Yisun. Her and Cio's fight/kiss after kind of is too.

I'm like 100% that everybody remembers the Cio/Allison panels, but in case you forgot the Yis-un part

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
being frustrated with non-creative zeitgeist that can't look away from destruction is on brand

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The most Royal weapon.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tulip posted:

I'm like 100% that everybody remembers the Cio/Allison panels, but in case you forgot the Yis-un part

That's... Exactly what I was referring to. I'm not sure why you think I'd forgotten it. My point is that Allison and Cio fighting and then making out parallels that story.

YaketySass posted:

The most Royal weapon.

I've finished both FFTA games and I still have no idea what that thing is

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 14, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

My theory is that either Zoss is time looping back through the point of choosing an heir, or the cycle is metaphorical.
Personally I hope it’s like the Nerevarine - he’s been doing this a bunch, but this is the first time the Demiurges have become fully aware of it.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 14, 2020

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Tulip posted:

This is such a fun idea. Something very similar takes place in NK Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm reading it more as a "cycle of violence" sort of thing. Zoss invaded Throne, broke down the old laws, and established a new order. Then the demiurges warred in Throne, broke down the old laws and established a new order. Now Allison is challenging the rulers of Throne, and has no respect for their laws...

It's easy to see how the angels, as representatives of the laws, might be getting a bit sick of it. And who knows how many times the ruling order was changed up in the demiurges' wars. This would explain where Zoss was during all this war - picking champions, trying to find one who would do it right.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The Wheel of Ages turns once again, a new pretender rises for the throne of the Pantokrator Conquering King.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I've finished both FFTA games and I still have no idea what that thing is

It's the oversized anime version of this.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

AriadneThread posted:

finish the cycle of eternal return

if i had the choice i would obliterate the multiverse and stop the cycles of guilt

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

:member: Zoss spoke of cycles as well

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/seeker-of-thrones-9-101/

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

YaketySass posted:

The most Royal weapon.

Ye gods that's the most hideously overdesigned character I've seen in a while. It's like Tetsuya Nomura had psychic diarrhea on the page.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ironically, you can't blame Nomura for FFTA 1 or 2. That's all Ryoma Ito.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

If there's one thing you can say for Nomura, it's that he doesn't overdesign. He has a problem with using elements in ways that don't make sense half the time, but he's still presenting clear outlines. In FF15 he managed to present four protagonists all wearing nothing but black that still looked very distinct from each other. The man knows what he's doing.

Ito's usually pretty good but I really think he needs a hand on his collar or you get... that guy. That's the FFTA2 protag, right?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'd agree on Nomura, except for the characters in The Bouncer and FFX2, they did come out overdesigned. My problem with Nomura's stuff is you have to like the "runway fashion" aesthetic he's in love with.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh my god I just noticed the second, regular sword in the back (red scabbard, on their hip)

Also the giant pizza cutter is bugging me because it's so completely weightless, it isn't even on their shoulder, it's just hovering ominously behind their back or something

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I don't even think that pizza cutter appears as an item in either game, it only shows up in a skill called "Judge Sword" that your main character can't even get. Yet both main characters' concept art have it :shrug:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There is a Magical operation of maximum importance; the Initiation of a New Aeon. When it becomes necessary to utter a Word, the whole Planet must be bathed in blood...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

SlimGoodbody posted:

Ye gods that's the most hideously overdesigned character I've seen in a while. It's like Tetsuya Nomura had psychic diarrhea on the page.

Yeah, how does he walk around with all that crap? Is he constantly tugging at his belts and sighing because he can't keep things from clanking loudly all the time?

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yeah, how does he walk around with all that crap? Is he constantly tugging at his belts and sighing because he can't keep things from clanking loudly all the time?

The longer I look, the more perplexed I become.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The answer is he doesn't look like that at all in the game :P

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I assume that one of the big problems with the various Demiruges is that they don't have folks around them to talk stuff through. White Chain and Cio seem to be helping Alison to see the changes and try to resolve them, and by so doing change her and themselves.

The Demiruges (despite all the outward growth of power) never actually change. They remain and are static, if not in powers then in personality. I think if anything this comic is trying to show the power that comes from change.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That's... Exactly what I was referring to. I'm not sure why you think I'd forgotten it. My point is that Allison and Cio fighting and then making out parallels that story.

that was a rhetorical "you" not an individual "you," it was supporting your (individual) point

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING

REBEL ONE

ACTION!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the cycle is actually just a reference to jugg's skele-cycle

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Josef bugman posted:

I assume that one of the big problems with the various Demiruges is that they don't have folks around them to talk stuff through. White Chain and Cio seem to be helping Alison to see the changes and try to resolve them, and by so doing change her and themselves.

The Demiruges (despite all the outward growth of power) never actually change. They remain and are static, if not in powers then in personality. I think if anything this comic is trying to show the power that comes from change.

What if it's all Incubus?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Tulip posted:

that was a rhetorical "you" not an individual "you," it was supporting your (individual) point

Ah, fair enough.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Shoehead posted:

What if it's all Incubus?

I mena it could be, but it seems unlikely. Alison seems to be growing as a person at the same time as growing stronger. I think that is because of Cio, White Chain and her own efforts.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Agean90 posted:

the cycle is actually just a reference to jugg's skele-cycle

she must brake the cycle

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this is now a heavens gate comic

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Josef bugman posted:

YISUN's favourite student was the Master of Want whose greed and hunger for what others had drove them to constant change.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Patware posted:

If there's one thing you can say for Nomura, it's that he doesn't overdesign. He has a problem with using elements in ways that don't make sense half the time, but he's still presenting clear outlines. In FF15 he managed to present four protagonists all wearing nothing but black that still looked very distinct from each other. The man knows what he's doing.

This is also why that his designs for The World Ends With You are some of his best as his brand of Fashion Anarchy fits entirely within Shibuya.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

shirts and skins posted:

This is such a fun idea. Something very similar takes place in NK Jemisin's The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms.

This is a good reminder to read more NK Jemisin.

Anyway I just came into this thread to post that White Chain continues to have a cute butt.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Feeling some mighty Goofus vibes here.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Preview image is... wew lads.

I continue to be hype. But I wonder when we will hate the Thing?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mile'ionaha posted:

Preview image is... wew lads.

I continue to be hype. But I wonder when we will hate the Thing?

Hating the thing was actually a lie to get our expectations on edge because realtime fandom's are obnoxious about predictions.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
the true thing we were all going to hate was the friends we made along the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

a computing pun posted:

the true thing we were all going to hate was the friends we made along the way

True. gently caress friends, those selfless, self-righteous pieces of poo poo!