Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I’m just amazed seeing photos from people on Facebook at a local Lewis Capaldi gig. Must have been thousands of people crammed in.

I get that the “ban” comes in today, but have some sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Waterloo this morning

https://twitter.com/PGMcNamara/status/1239461514278588418

People are much more keen to heed the warnings when it involves not going to the office.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Had an online meeting this morning and two of my colleagues are in quarantine with their young kids (they're not known to be infected but have been travelling abroad). It sounds like hell, hope all the parents in this thread are doing alright.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

justcola posted:

I keep trying to think about how this will affect the economy (lol) as if nobodies getting paid for anything - then what?

If only the government could do something about all this. You know, literally anything at all

Bloody hell, neoliberalism will be the death of us, even more literally than I had imagined

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

big scary monsters posted:

Had an online meeting this morning and two of my colleagues are in quarantine with their young kids (they're not known to be infected but have been travelling abroad). It sounds like hell, hope all the parents in this thread are doing alright.

/R/childfree must be having a field day right now.

It's true though, I would go full Overlook Hotel if I had to remain indoors with one or more small children for an indefinite period

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Oodles posted:

I’m just amazed seeing photos from people on Facebook at a local Lewis Capaldi gig. Must have been thousands of people crammed in.

I get that the “ban” comes in today, but have some sense.

People who went to that gig have definitely caught it and are definitely going to kill someone as a result. Just monumental stupidity because the government can't get people to take this seriously.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

peanut- posted:

Waterloo this morning

https://twitter.com/PGMcNamara/status/1239461514278588418

People are much more keen to heed the warnings when it involves not going to the office.

I suppose it's minimally reassuring to see that a lot of people don't trust the government

Capaldi gigs notwithstanding

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

https://twitter.com/HumannTouch/status/1239261371151396866

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I feel bad for going to a wedding in Edinburgh (or to be honest a tiny village outside of Edinburgh) on Thursday/Friday now.

I didn't interact closely with anyone other than my own friends (all 30/31) and made sure to wash my hands really well, but I am kind of feeling like a dick for even going considering what is happening now with folks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Dropping the kids off at school and most parents seem to have their mind up themselves. Deserted. 5 year olds class had maybe 10 kids present out of around 30.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

peanut- posted:

or they are a little more sensible than the clowns running the government

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Oh also whoever recommended that online radio station earlier, it gud

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Although I've seen quite a lot of photos of deserted train stations so far today, you'd think there's nothing different at my workplace in a town in the east. On the drive in parents were still double parking to drop off their little angels at school, and the car park was as full as usual. As a manufacturer we still need to work but there's got to be a few more staff here that don't need to be here.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In a few more hours it will have been a full week since I left my house (and garden). Time flies when you're having fun.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sassassin posted:

In a few more hours it will have been a full week since I left my house (and garden). Time flies when you're having fun.

I've been out once to canals. I did not at all feel comfortable with how many people were out there.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

my building (entertainment sector, central london) is staying open as the insurance wont cover loss of income from closure unless the government mandates a lockdown.

jokes on them though I'm going to hide in the boiler house and play Switch games.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Who was it in this thread that posted that thing about safety at work and refusing to go in? Feel like that could be useful for anyone making GBS threads themselves about work.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Full attendance in the office apart from a couple of folk self-isolating. Horrible director already shouted at someone for mentioning "bloody coronavirus" - she was actually making arrangements for collecting her children if the schools close, and shouting made her have a breakdown because her mum is 88 and only has one lung, but he doesn't care.

Very important question: should I shave my beard off? I really don't want to.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

Although I've seen quite a lot of photos of deserted train stations so far today, you'd think there's nothing different at my workplace in a town in the east. On the drive in parents were still double parking to drop off their little angels at school, and the car park was as full as usual. As a manufacturer we still need to work but there's got to be a few more staff here that don't need to be here.

The thing about London is that most of those people that pour through those stations every day actually have completely pointless jobs at the business factory. Everyone can collectively give up the pretence for a while and it doesn't really matter.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Sanford posted:

Very important question: should I shave my beard off? I really don't want to.

Keep it.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Who was it in this thread that posted that thing about safety at work and refusing to go in? Feel like that could be useful for anyone making GBS threads themselves about work.

Section 7 of the Health and Safety At Work Act 1974 (HSAWA 1974) places a duty on every employee while at work:

a) to take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work

Section 44 of the Employment Rights Act 1996 (ERA 1996) protects the employee (with no qualifying service period) from any ‘detriment’:

d) in circumstances of danger which the employee reasonably believed to be serious and imminent and which he could not reasonably have been expected to avert, he left (or proposed to leave) or (while the danger persisted) refused to return to his place of work or any dangerous part of his place of work, or

e) in circumstances of danger which the employee reasonably believed to be serious and imminent, he took (or proposed to take) appropriate steps to protect himself or other persons from the danger.

The Labour Research Department explains:

“As long as the employee forms a genuine view of a risk that they reasonably regard as serious and imminent, the fact that the employer disagrees with the seriousness of the risk or the appropriateness of the steps taken is irrelevant.”

https://www.rs21.org.uk/2020/03/13/acting-on-covid-19/

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If people in this country were to sing a song of resilience from their balconies, what would it be?

My money's on Tubthumping.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going to make a sainsburys run which I'm not wild about but hey ho.

Is there any point whatsoever in wearing a surgical mask? I have some from when I was regularly catching the National Express and getting sick all the time

edit actually it's not like they stopped me getting sick on the bus, lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Parklife

(real answer is probably Always look on the bright side of life)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

sebzilla posted:

If people in this country were to sing a song of resilience from their balconies, what would it be?

Given the government response I’m going with Just.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

sebzilla posted:

Greetings from Shitsville is my pick

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Sanford posted:

Full attendance in the office apart from a couple of folk self-isolating. Horrible director already shouted at someone for mentioning "bloody coronavirus" - she was actually making arrangements for collecting her children if the schools close, and shouting made her have a breakdown because her mum is 88 and only has one lung, but he doesn't care.

I assume the only thing keeping the office from forming a mob and setting upon this dickhead as one is worries about excessive close human contact

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Angepain posted:

I assume the only thing keeping the office from forming a mob and setting upon this dickhead as one is worries about excessive close human contact

When we met as a management team I was the strongest proponent of letting everyone work from home. He straight up yelled at me, in front of everyone, that if I stayed away from the office I could expect a massive paycut. That has spread out through the staff and now even people who would normally work from home (including him) are in, so they don't get accused of skiving. Man's a fool.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Lol just saw that the entire senior judiciary of England and Wales are still scheduled to have a gala dinner at Mansion House tomorrow evening.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Barry Foster posted:

I'm going to make a sainsburys run which I'm not wild about but hey ho.

Is there any point whatsoever in wearing a surgical mask? I have some from when I was regularly catching the National Express and getting sick all the time

edit actually it's not like they stopped me getting sick on the bus, lol
If you’re already sick yourself (but asymptomatic) then it makes you less likely to spread it, and it sends a signal to everyone you see that this thing is kind of a big deal. Other than that not really - it’s much more important e.g. to avoid touching your face.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Necrothatcher posted:

Lol just saw that the entire senior judiciary of England and Wales are still scheduled to have a gala dinner at Mansion House tomorrow evening.

I bet they're old as gently caress, too.

Rip

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Sanford posted:

When we met as a management team I was the strongest proponent of letting everyone work from home. He straight up yelled at me, in front of everyone, that if I stayed away from the office I could expect a massive paycut. That has spread out through the staff and now even people who would normally work from home (including him) are in, so they don't get accused of skiving. Man's a fool.

I honestly don't know how anyone can work at your hostile shithouse of a company i really don't

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

pumpinglemma posted:

If you’re already sick yourself (but asymptomatic) then it makes you less likely to spread it, and it sends a signal to everyone you see that this thing is kind of a big deal. Other than that not really - it’s much more important e.g. to avoid touching your face.

Yeah, figured. To be clear, I don't care if I get it/if I already have it - that's my problem - but I did want to ensure that it was best practice in spread control in general.

Oddly I actually thought 'maybe if gammons see a young white guy in a mask they might start to take this seriously', so it's nice to know someone else did too

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Welp two people in my team at work are home with symptoms this week. I've sat within a meter of both constantly for the past two weeks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, figured. To be clear, I don't care if I get it/if I already have it -

You should, because the science isn't really in yet on what long-term damage it could do to you. There are tentative reports of it causing reduced lung capacity (though not sure what age group affected)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I honestly don't know how anyone can work at your hostile shithouse of a company i really don't

It is really great and super flexible and, for example, my boss let me take off what came to almost sixty days over two years when we were struggling through IVF treatment, and never even mentioned it impacting on my pay. People with kids often talk about how great it is that you can leave early or come in late and you're just trusted to sort it out yourself and let your team know and get your work done. People often work from home just because, and there is a long standing non-formal policy that if you're ill but get your work done from home, we won't record it as sickness.

It's just this one guy.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
We've got two people self-isolating but they're scheduled to come back on Wednesday. Otherwise its business as usual at my work, other than theres not very much to do atm

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

We've got a fresh and topical episode out today! We talk about Corona with an Actual Knowledge Haver so we don't sound nearly as stupid as we normally do and then chat about how Number is doing. Honestly, it's a good one!

(Just as an FYI: We recorded last Thursday so our stats are already wildly out of date)

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1239493350719459334?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

A topically revised version of the Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag by Country Joe and the Fish would be my personal choice.

Schools in Scotland may soon be forced to close because of lack of hot water. The kids, who are alright, have been instructed to wash their hands so regularly that there's none left for the dishes at lunchtime.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

In the absence of a written constitution this is about as close as we can get to judicial reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

You should, because the science isn't really in yet on what long-term damage it could do to you. There are tentative reports of it causing reduced lung capacity (though not sure what age group affected)

Yeah what I mean is that I don't really care about me. Obviously I'd rather not get it though

And I am concerned for my partner so I'm going to be extremely dilligent