Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I haven't left the flat since a late night run to the 24 hour Tesco last Tuesday. Got to say the Brexit stockpile really did pay off.

Just had a couple of tinned peaches in some rice pudding and it took me right back to my childhood. Is this the Blitz spirit Boomers keep talking about?

edit: my cat also getting in the Blitz spirit by hiding in a tactical bunker.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Mar 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Shyrka posted:

I haven't left the flat since a late night run to the 24 hour Tesco last Tuesday. Got to say the Brexit stockpile really did pay off.

Just had a couple of tinned peaches in some rice pudding and it took me right back to my childhood. Is this the Blitz spirit Boomers keep talking about?

edit: my cat also getting in the Blitz spirit by hiding in a tactical bunker.

Adorable. Is that one of them things on your bookshelf what has all different bits of the brain labelled on it?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I am beyond jealous of all you folks who get to be in quarantine with loved ones, let me tell you solitary confinement is a heap of poo poo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

My local authority has decided to close all schools end of this week, although they've not told anyone yet as they're planning the logistics before throwing that match on the petrol.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Adorable. Is that one of them things on your bookshelf what has all different bits of the brain labelled on it?
It's an official Art of Cum caliper calibrator.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ThomasPaine posted:

I am beyond jealous of all you folks who get to be in quarantine with loved ones, let me tell you solitary confinement is a heap of poo poo.

Conversely, my five year old is a dickhead and I envy you lot who can sit and play vidya games all day.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Sanford posted:

Full attendance in the office apart from a couple of folk self-isolating. Horrible director already shouted at someone for mentioning "bloody coronavirus" - she was actually making arrangements for collecting her children if the schools close, and shouting made her have a breakdown because her mum is 88 and only has one lung, but he doesn't care.

Very important question: should I shave my beard off? I really don't want to.

We answer this on the podcast!

(No, unless you work in healthcare or other situations where you will need to wear a mask.)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

sebzilla posted:

Conversely, my five year old is a dickhead and I envy you lot who can sit and play vidya games all day.

I'm Coronavirus e-babysitting by playing duos with my 8-year-old nephew in Fortnite while his Mum does GP videoconferencing. We make a pretty good team. He does all the building towers stuff I don't understand and my years of third person action games let me do all the headshots.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just went on a run to grab a few final groceries and get some paracetamol and loo roll for our elderly neighbours and the suburban high street and nearby Sainsbury's was alarmingly busy. There are a lot of elderly people living in this area and I saw countless people who looked 80+ ambling about and waiting in tightly-packed queues.

Hard to see how we can avoid an Italy-type scenario at this point...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
There's a road block with a bunch of unmarked white lorries and people just milling around on one of the roads leading to the Royal London hospital - turns out they're just filming something but bad timing lads.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1239357254136213505

List includes Jeremy Corbyn, of course.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Can we get a list for the House of Lords? Or would that just be "1. The House of Lords"

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

MeinPanzer posted:

Just went on a run to grab a few final groceries and get some paracetamol and loo roll for our elderly neighbours and the suburban high street and nearby Sainsbury's was alarmingly busy. There are a lot of elderly people living in this area and I saw countless people who looked 80+ ambling about and waiting in tightly-packed queues.

Hard to see how we can avoid an Italy-type scenario at this point...

If all the OAPs stubbornly refuse to do anything despite us repeatedly yelling at them I really have little sympathy. There's only so much you can do.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a road block with a bunch of unmarked white lorries and people just milling around on one of the roads leading to the Royal London hospital - turns out they're just filming something but bad timing lads.

lmbo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Jfc people,leave your house occasionally, just go for a run in a public space and don't get close to other people.

I'll be shaving my beard the next time I bother showering just so I have even less incentive to touch my face. But if I cared more about my beard I wouldn't bother.

E:

https://twitter.com/dsahluw/status/1239500581099712512?s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of Italy, cross-quoting from the Italian politics thread:

TorakFade posted:

Protezione Civile is posting updates every day on GitHub, detailing cases (hospitalized, intensive care, domestic surveillance), deaths and recoveries; someone made a dumb yesterday and posted an "internal" version with some additional data yesterday, they quickly removed it but being GitHub, it's possible to find it in the history :

so in all of Italy, 10 deaths aged 0-49 (1%), 30 aged 50-59 (2%) and 52 (4%) aged "no data" (wtf?). Total of 78% people that died had other diseases, but that doesn't mean anything - everyone over 60 has "other diseases" between diabetes, hypertension, pressure, heart problems... all my parents and parents in law, who are just over 60, have them, and that holds true for most people over 60 that I know.

let's also remember that while it's true that most people dead are old, there's plenty in ICUs that are between 20 and 40, being younger they have higher chances of recovery of course, but they're also more resilient and might just die later

Bottom line from that image is that Italy's mortality rate last week: 6.77%

After this weekend: 7.17%

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Can't wait to spin crazy stories to the kids about surviving the great pandemic of 2020 when actually I just drank a lot and got right back into dragon age: origins

presuming I do survive of course lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Be jealous of me who isn't at all quarantined. Going to mow my folks' lawn later, maybe pop down the shops for some entirely non-essential bag of crisps.

Need some salt and vinegar crisps to properly enjoy the US market open.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Bottom line from that image is that Italy's mortality rate last week: 6.77%

After this weekend: 7.17%

:prepop:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah it sucks. I'm trying to get out for a ski or walk on a daily basis but my partner is stuck abroad and I have no idea when she'll be allowed to leave that country or be permitted back in this one. Hopefully I'll be allowed back into the lab this week, but my work is doing a timetable for those few people who do have to go in to minimise the chances of us being in the building at the same time, and we're not allowed to work together in the same room.

ThomasPaine posted:

Can't wait to spin crazy stories to the kids about surviving the great pandemic of 2020 when actually I just drank a lot and got right back into dragon age: origins

presuming I do survive of course lol
I've put a lot of hours into playing Planescape: Torment for the first time. It's pretty good!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Reports that Pets At Home are running low on stock now

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Genuinely surreal being in full lockdown in Ireland and seeing our good mates across the channel just... Keeping Calm and Britishing On.

My mum was talking to my sister in London last night, and even though my sister is usually a super hypochondriac about herself and my nieces, she's just chill about all of this. The power of normalcy bias combined with repeated exposure to the propaganda of British exceptionalism

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

To retain my equanimity I'm going to assume this is an organisation which delivers pets to your home to keep you company while self-isolating

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Welp, my 70 year old parents (who live in the heart of London’s legal district and do a ridiculous amount of social stuff) are now officially fleeing the country to their place in France. Which given it’s in a tiny village is probably the right choice for them if they’re not already infected.

Hopefully having to literally flee for the border will take some of the wind out of my Tory-loving dad’s sails..

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

big scary monsters posted:

I've put a lot of hours into playing Planescape: Torment for the first time. It's pretty good!

Ooh what a game. I've been thinking about replaying that but I'm not sure how well it's aged.

Back into the office for me tomorrow, not entirely happy about that. There's only 3 of us there but still.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

crispix posted:

Yeah, a phrenology head. Got it back when I was studying psychology at uni. For the kitsch not to actually help with the studying!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Deketh posted:

Ooh what a game. I've been thinking about replaying that but I'm not sure how well it's aged.

Back into the office for me tomorrow, not entirely happy about that. There's only 3 of us there but still.

It's aged pretty well, in that it has exactly the same problems (combat is clunky af, graphics are pretty muddy) but the writing and setting are still fantastic.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Deketh posted:

I have the enhanced edition and I think it holds up alright - I guess you're not playing cRPGs for the stunning graphics. It's maybe not got as smooth an interface as modern games and combat feels pretty awkward, but the world exploration and the writing are much bigger parts than the fighting and they're good. I've just got to Curst at about 22 hours in, judging by what I can see of the map there is a fair bit still to go.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh gently caress. I don't even think about how much sawdust and hay I'd need to order for my guinea pigs.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i've froze my gym membership. i wish i didn't have to work but i can't really justify begging money off my family that much so i'm just working the mininium amount for rent and being careful.

it's insane how packed some restaurants are. they're not bothering to try and distance the customers from each other either. it's maaad.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/JEGullis/status/1239298847999954945

Jeremy Corbyn has been turned into a figure for the two minute Hate for very politely asking why the Government is going against WHO recommendations and that provisions be made for everyone who'll need to live through the pandemic.

Genuinely hate this country. Not even leaving people to die so brazenly can shift these old cunts.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

sebzilla posted:

Conversely, my five three year old is a dickhead and I envy you lot who can sit and play vidya games all day.

We stayed at home all of Saturday and Sunday and we were already going insane by the end of it. Main reason I took my kid to school this morning (though I think we will be stopping virtually all activities from tomorrow)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Genuinely hate this country. Not even leaving people to die so brazenly can shift these old cunts.

Good job they're mostly the ones dying then!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Coronavirus has its own header section on BBC News now.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I know you guys aren't dumb but seriously don't order deliveroo or uber or whatever. Most of my fellow workers are unhygenic as gently caress and tons of the riders believe the pandemic isn't real or is just flu.

I'm paranoid as gently caress about this and i still have to touch my face/peoples hands regularly. there's no other way to pass food over or take your helmet off.

There's zero chance that a driver on a 10 hour shift will have washed their hands or disinfected their gloves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Uber eats won't even deliver out here so I'm socially distanced.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

hemale in pain posted:

I know you guys aren't dumb but seriously don't order deliveroo or uber or whatever. Most of my fellow workers are unhygenic as gently caress and tons of the riders believe the pandemic isn't real or is just flu.

I'm paranoid as gently caress about this and i still have to touch my face/peoples hands regularly. there's no other way to pass food over or take your helmet off.

There's zero chance that a driver on a 10 hour shift will have washed their hands or disinfected their gloves.

I am pretty sure those food delivery services were running a lot more TV ads than usual over the weekend when I had the TV on.

Or maybe it was one of those things where you just notice something a lot more when you become aware of it. I actually thought for a bit like, this is not how I imagined the future. I imagined ordinary people would be able to do a lot more with the technology available to them in 2020 than ordering takeaways and taking pictures of themselves on the toilet but here we are.

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Mar 16, 2020

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I got a call this morning from a concerned food delivery driver (note: not in the UK) who was worried because none of the drivers in the region had access to proper bathrooms now. Which meant they had to piss out in the wild and could never wash their hands.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

I mean the delivery guy is just touching a paper or plastic bag. Throw that in the bin immediately and then was your hands afterwards and its tough to see how that's a particularly dangerous infection vector.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Gonzo McFee posted:

If/when the death count gets higher than the other countries who took more/some action, there'll be no hiding from the truth. The facts will ah who am I kidding, these people have long lost the capacity for rational thought.

big scary monsters posted:

I have the enhanced edition and I think it holds up alright - I guess you're not playing cRPGs for the stunning graphics. It's maybe not got as smooth an interface as modern games and combat feels pretty awkward, but the world exploration and the writing are much bigger parts than the fighting and they're good. I've just got to Curst at about 22 hours in, judging by what I can see of the map there is a fair bit still to go.

sebzilla posted:

It's aged pretty well, in that it has exactly the same problems (combat is clunky af, graphics are pretty muddy) but the writing and setting are still fantastic.

This is true, it was never the combat or graphics that made the game. Sod it I'm getting the EE! I can't play vidya games like I used to cos my hands are all painful & hosed up but an old school RPG is a bit less intense at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Isn't it touching all the stuff in and around a toilet that spreads germs? So would it not be less unhygienic to pee outside so long as you have a reasonably clean knob?