Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oyster posted:

Hello Xbox thread. My girlfriend has an aunt who got her 10 year old son an Xbox One. She's what I guess is called "crunchy", a good bit overprotective with a strong distaste for guns. She doesn't want him playing any game with guns, but swords are fine. She also wants an E rating. He's getting bored of Kingdom Hearts 3 and is calling it "too PBS", wanting something a little more realistic.

I'm a Nintendo apologist with a PS4, I don't know the Xbox gamescape at all. Would anyone here have a recommendation that would fit?

She should’ve gotten him a Switch.

Real answer- do gun free AC games count? Like the Egypt one if you frame it as “edutainment?” I’ll be honest, this one’s tough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Thinking of using this quarantine as an opportunity to get my wife to give video games a try.

Any Xbox recommendations? She likes word games, trivia, and reading. I like shooting doods.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Ok Comboomer posted:

She should’ve gotten him a Switch.

Real answer- do gun free AC games count? Like the Egypt one if you frame it as “edutainment?” I’ll be honest, this one’s tough.

I agree wholeheartedly with the Switch and I'm honestly pretty frustrated that she's sticking hard to "E10+ plus other arbitrary requirements" when she doesn't game at all herself.

What are AC games?

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oyster posted:

What are AC games?

Assassin's Creed

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Oyster posted:

What are AC games?

Assassin's Creed. They're all rated M though, so probably a hard sell, even without guns.

Oyster posted:

She's amenable to E10+ but sticking hard to it, so no Forza. He apparently isn't a platformer kid (obviously not related to me) so I guess Trackmania it is. He likes racing at least. Thanks!

There's a lot of games in the Forza and DiRT lines that are rated E though?

For strategy-type games, Civ 6 is E10+, Cities: Skylines is E, and Stellaris is E10+, and has plenty of guns but like, between ships, not individuals holding and firing them. Two Point Hospital is also E10+.

If the kid is into sports at all, sports games might be a good choice. More "realistic" without being violent? They're E/E10+ mostly, but I haven't played any myself to recommend any in particular.

Kerbal Space Program, maybe, depending on the kid?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

meta² posted:

Thinking of using this quarantine as an opportunity to get my wife to give video games a try.

Any Xbox recommendations? She likes word games, trivia, and reading. I like shooting doods.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Arcsech posted:

Assassin's Creed. They're all rated M though, so probably a hard sell, even without guns.

There's a lot of games in the Forza and DiRT lines that are rated E though?

For strategy-type games, Civ 6 is E10+, Cities: Skylines is E, and Stellaris is E10+, and has plenty of guns but like, between ships, not individuals holding and firing them. Two Point Hospital is also E10+.

If the kid is into sports at all, sports games might be a good choice. More "realistic" without being violent? They're E/E10+ mostly, but I haven't played any myself to recommend any in particular.

Kerbal Space Program, maybe, depending on the kid?

He's hugely into sports and already has the sports games, which is good because I know absolutely nothing about them. Thank you for those recommendations, those are really good!

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
not letting your kid play halo is a crime against humanity.

Angry-Alphs
Feb 24, 2019

Oyster posted:

She's amenable to E10+ but sticking hard to it, so no Forza. He apparently isn't a platformer kid (obviously not related to me) so I guess Trackmania it is. He likes racing at least. Thanks!

If he likes racing: Rocket League?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:sever:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Just show him A Serbian Film. Then it’ll be too late to protect him and every video game will seem quaint in comparison.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

meta² posted:

Super Mario Odyssey

Witcher 3, one of you rides along and gives dialogue tree input.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The rare collection has some good stuff in it and Id need to think more but the 360 and original Xbox collection definitely has some action adventure games he could play too.

Or just smuggle him in a switch

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Barudak posted:

The rare collection has some good stuff in it and Id need to think more but the 360 and original Xbox collection definitely has some action adventure games he could play too.

Or just smuggle him in a switch

One gotcha with Rare Replay is it’s rated M due to Perfect Dark, however due to the weird way the game is put together (there’s a core component but then every 360 version of a title is its own separate thing) you actually can play the other titles if your console blocks M titles. It’s likely floored at a T rating, though.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Anyone have anything bad to say about the 2019 GRID reboot? I know the car and track list is lacking but gameplay videos make it look like a modern version of a Sega racing game like Ferrari 355 Challenge etc. and I'm down for a chill arcade racer right now. Tempted by Redout as well since it looks like a nice mix of Wipeout & F-Zero but it seems to be one of those weird cases where the One X version doesn't run as smoothly as the PS4 Pro one and I only have a base PS4. Then again it'll probably run smooth on the Series X whenever that drops.

I wonder what happened to that 90's Arcade Racer game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywfy_hcq_s

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SUNKOS posted:

I wonder what happened to that 90's Arcade Racer game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bywfy_hcq_s

This is the first time I've seen this, and it looks awesome! Scrolling through the Kickstarter comments, seems as though the game is still being shown around and developed. Planned for a 2020 release, but if it's been this long then who knows.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oyster posted:

He's hugely into sports and already has the sports games, which is good because I know absolutely nothing about them. Thank you for those recommendations, those are really good!

The Ori games are good, they look super wholesome but see the last few pages of ppl comparing them to Metroid and poo poo.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Isn't that Hollow Knight game getting a really great looking sequel as well?

I just remembered for the person looking for good games for a kid, I think Spelunky is a good recommendation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

I just remembered for the person looking for good games for a kid, I think Spelunky is a good recommendation.

I think they said guns of all kind are forbidden (I grew up like this) so Spelunky is out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SUNKOS posted:

yeah it was originally going to be the final dlc which was a second character playthrough but they span it out into an entire sequel in a new world instead

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So Bleeding Edge has an issue where there is way too much CC on healers so a 2 Healer 2 DPS team can grind out battles versus an enemy team comp with a tank as the healers are usually more mobile and able to stunlock a tank or otherwise evade them.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 15, 2020

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've been in a GTA mood the past month, and I wound up picking up GTA IV and starting a new game for the first time in a long time. Had a blast playing through the campaign. This weekend I installed GTA V from Game Pass, and immediately the driving felt god awful. Guess I was used to the bad driving from IV, but I'm used to it now. God this game looks so drat good compared to the PS3 version I played on release. And the jump from IV to V in every way is phenomenal. I really hope Rockstar are working on VI for next-gen, and not just gonna continue riding the Online wave through forward compatability.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My winrates in bleeding edge are very clear. 60% as a tank and 20% as DPS, 40% as healer.

Im quite impressed how good every character feels to play even if some of them feel really situational or one dimensional to play. Im also not sure who picked which characters are recommended because Daemon absolutely is not as beginner friendly as Maeve. I dont think Ive ever seen the lady tank win a game though, which is either I and everyone I face is trash or something is going on.

Im also somewhat amused that upgrading your board is a disadvantage because it makes it easier for the enemy team to spot you and determine where you're heading.

Nidhoggr is also capable of an absolutely disgusting combo by going juggle->guitar throw->powerslide because if you time it right before they can stand up the guitar stuns them so you can get two full combos plus fire ticks on them before they get to do anything about it and thats a kill on most other dps

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was right about that mysterious "debug" port being for storage bitchez :cool:

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

This weekend I installed GTA V from Game Pass, and immediately the driving felt god awful. Guess I was used to the bad driving from IV, but I'm used to it now.

Nah IV's driving is way better than V's. The cars had such a good sense of weight and generally behaved a lot more realistically, which isn't what everyone wants from GTA driving I suppose but I loved it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I owned a Buick Park Avenue and the cars in GTAIV made that thing feel like a nimble sports car.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SCheeseman posted:

I was right about that mysterious "debug" port being for storage bitchez :cool:

That came out a while ago

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I loving hated every single second of driving in IV.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They're leaning into it now.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1239525604187205633?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Healbot posted:

I loving hated every single second of driving in IV.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcY4nRHapmE

The Xbox Series X hardware is extremely impressive. I wonder if they'll target $500 or go the full PS3 and charge $600?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its actually not going for sale its just an aspirational concept

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The thing I'm most surprised about is it only being 1TB. I struggle to keep the games I want in 1TB as is, nevermind the hugeness of next gen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think this gen, up until last month, was gonna be all about big prices. The economy around the world was doing well. Now though... who knows.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Seedge posted:

The thing I'm most surprised about is it only being 1TB. I struggle to keep the games I want in 1TB as is, nevermind the hugeness of next gen.

The most cost effective thing to do storage wise is have an external USB drive hooked up that you can swap games out from, something I was hoping for and the Digital Foundry discussion video seems to confirm. I think if my quick math is right you're looking at ~10 min for a 50GB game over a good USB-3 drive, although good chance we're going to be seeing 100GB or higher of course. Although apparently they have extremely effective hardware decompression built in to the Series X so perhaps we will see that dropped down.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Seedge posted:

yeah about that:

https://twitter.com/USgamernet/status/1239541435784814593

USGamer posted:

The Xbox Series X still has support for external USB 3.2 hard drives, but that's related to Microsoft's promise that all Xbox One accessories will work on the new console. Series X owners can use external USB hard drives to store and run Xbox One and Xbox Backward Compatibility titles. You will be able to store Xbox Series X games on the drives, but you won't be able to run them without transferring the game to the internal NVMe hard drive or the custom slot drives. The 1TB expansion cards will apparently be swappable between different Xbox Series X systems, so you'll be able to copy your games over to the cards and take them to a friend's console.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I guess cartridges are back.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Proprietary memory LMFAO this thing is a giant Vita

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Proprietary memory LMFAO this thing is a giant Vita

As long as it's not outrageously priced then it should be ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
https://twitter.com/dark1x/status/1239528829305192452