Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

IAmKale posted:

Has anyone compiled a list of confirmed villagers? I hope my boy Leopold made the cut :kiddo:

If they have an Amiibo card than they should be in. Which is basically everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Reviews are starting to come in. Looks like the only major complaints people have are that the tool durability is a bit too low.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Question that sorry if I've missed - is it known whether the additional users on a switch that make their homes on your island cut into the actual number of animals available to move in? I.E. if 5 of us are on one island, does that mean we will only have 5 animals move in? Thanks!

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1239554746962362368

GOTY is coming out this Friday.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Electric Phantasm posted:

If they have an Amiibo card than they should be in. Which is basically everyone.

https://youtu.be/dGGDaDIeSCQ?t=763

Yeah looks like only certain special NPCs aren't in the shipped vanilla version, and even they've already got posters of themselves you can buy once you scan them and make an in-game shrine for while you wait for them to arrive in an update.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Now I'm wondering if I should cancel my Amazon order and just get it online because we are all going to die.

Edit: Gang tag! Thank you! :buddy:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

no gyroids, trash game

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

no gyroids, trash game

wait are you serious

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Brother Entropy posted:

no gyroids, trash game

Gyroids are what the bodies and souls of villagers who have passed on turn into.

No gyroids found on the island means it's a truly deserted one. No soul has ever stepped two feet on this soil before us.

Now nobody can say Nook is a colonizer.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

wait are you serious

yeah it came up in the gamexplain review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGGDaDIeSCQ

he's still in the denial phase of 'maybe i just haven't found any yet, they've gotta be in somewhere' but he said he's been playing it for 3 weeks on multiple switchs

maybe they'll be in an update someday............................

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

No gyroids? Canceling pre-order :colbert:

I'm joking

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
gently caress this, i threw my switch in the toilet. last straw of 2020, eat my fre*king goatse, Niuntendo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah it came up in the gamexplain review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGGDaDIeSCQ

he's still in the denial phase of 'maybe i just haven't found any yet, they've gotta be in somewhere' but he said he's been playing it for 3 weeks on multiple switchs

maybe they'll be in an update someday............................

gently caress

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/stealth40k/status/1239553163402887168?s=21

Lol Nintendo may have just saved humanity by making us all stay indoors.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Besides Gyroids any other new information from the reviews?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Is there a way to organize the friend code doc by newest additions? It keeps being alphabetized which makes it difficult to track who I've added versus who has been added to the doc.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I dunno, seems reasonable to think they could be added. As of now the game doesn't even have online functionality for reviewers and all are pretty early in their towns. Even if they are currently NOT planned to be in the game, given the online nature they could be added pretty easily I'd think if there was an uproar?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LostRook posted:

Is there a way to organize the friend code doc by newest additions? It keeps being alphabetized which makes it difficult to track who I've added versus who has been added to the doc.

In the same topic, after much deliberation I added myself. I'm probably not someone you added!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Besides Gyroids any other new information from the reviews?

no rover, no kappn, no resetti

tool durability sounds kind of annoying: there's no indication of when a tool is close to breaking, the first tier of tools' durability seems too low, and making higher level tools involves multiple steps of first crafting the basic tool and then crafting the next tier with the basic tool as an ingredient

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Brother Entropy posted:

no gyroids, trash game

I couldn't get into gyroids. I never found one that fit a look I was going for. I might have liked them in New Horizons if I could place then creepily outside just barely behind trees for Halloween during fall.

Did somebody say gang tag friend stamp? I would like a gang tag, please. I mean friend stamp.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Idia posted:

One island per switch. If she has her own switch she can have her own island. You can add an account for her on your island and vice versa, meaning that you can have your own island and an extra house/character on your other partners switch. Kinda like having a dacha.

It sounds like the best option is to have our own copies and visit each other I think. Thank you!

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

LostRook posted:

If you scroll all the way to the right, it shows when people added themselves. I haven’t tried it myself, but you could try a ctrl+f “today’s date” to highlight the new ones that day

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Sweet, that solves it easily. Thank you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Al-Saqr posted:

Lol Nintendo may have just saved humanity by making us all stay indoors.

idk man, Nintendo is probably expecting most people to play this thing at rooftop parties with their friends

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7jkd7/animal-crossing-new-horizons-review-building-community-nook-miles-coronavirus

I wasn't making that part about people/reviewers talking about colonization up BTW:

quote:

But, let's be clear, it's also about claiming new lands and stripping them for resources in the pursuit of consumer goods, and leaving them destroyed and forgotten in your wake.

I may not be displacing a native people or anything like that, but it's still hard to wash off the politics of the frontier when I play. The idea of finding "unoccupied" land and taming it, turning it into an urban society, is so entangled with colonialism that it is impossible to unravel that knot. But the analogy to real-world, extractive colonialism gets much more pointed when it comes to New Horizons' two new mechanics: Nook Miles and crafting.

Using a Nook Miles Ticket to gather enough resources to say, build a few wooden tables, is the first time that Animal Crossing has felt violent to me. Because the Nook Miles ticket islands are essentially disposable—you're not going to face any repercussions from destroying all the rocks and cutting down all the trees—I would just go to these islands and demolish them. It felt purely mercenary; it became something I would do as I watched reality television, which is how I handle the boredom of most other chores. I would pick every flower, chop every tree, hit every rock, collect every bug and fish. Devastation laid in my wake. It was like a cutesy cartoon version of what happened as European explorers ventured out into Asia, Africa and the Americas. They took everything.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow they really reduced the rescue cost. In the Nintendo direct it took half your miles but in that review it only costs 100.

So Thursday at 9pm pst... Is it really 4 days away

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vice is extremely woke, in the 'rich white trust fund kids and probably rapists who act progressive to look trendy' definition of 'woke'.

Also def care about the abstract idea of colonisation and will run away fast when presented with real-world consequences

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

someone should do something about all these drat politics in my video game journalism

Chronicler of Dongs
Apr 22, 2003

~*~ Magic Mittens ~*~

That review was the most vice rear end thing I've ever read

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/media/48317/1

Here's a bunch of new screenshots to pick through.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

It sounds like the best option is to have our own copies and visit each other I think. Thank you!

Yep! She just needs her own Switch. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Accepted a whole bunch of friend requests just now. Looking forward to seeing all y'all's islands!

Also, IGN laid out a strategy for forcing a day change. Looks overcomplicated so I won't be doing it, but I can't say the temptation won't be there. IIRC, it took like a week to 10 days for everything in New Leaf to open up, right?

EDIT: a week IS 7 days

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 16, 2020

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

It's been awhile since I've played New Leaf, but yeah I think it took about a week.

The main negative I've seen in the reviews is that the first week of play is very slow while your island slowly opens up. That doesn't bother me to hear that as I've got all the time in the world, haha.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I added the first 70 or so people to my wife and I’s friends lists but we welcome others to add us from the list! Please do, we want to see your islands.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Any word on DAL color selection? Or will it be random like the fruit?

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Really hoping there's lots of prehistoric items because I want to make Isla Sorna and populate it with dinosaur fossils PLEASE animal crossing

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019
Had to clean a bunch of demos off my hardly used Switch, but it's preloading now after a year's worth of updates. Animal Crossing is essentially the only reason I bought a Switch in the first place, so I'm super excited.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Anyone confirmed if there's still gonna be a coffee shop?

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

Dazerbeams posted:

Any word on DAL color selection? Or will it be random like the fruit?

DAL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

May I ask for a Raccoon Goons Tag? I'll be playing as soon as the game comes out, and I can't wait. (One of the major reasons I bought the switch)