Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

That Old Tree posted:

lol jesus christ

Yeah, it's somehow harder to learn how to do that than it is for a barbarian to learn how to breath fire. That's only a level 6 feat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Darwinism posted:

Also the fact that PF2E martials have to assemble a functional class from (poorly written) parts while casters are given a whole class that is then directed into different specialties is part of the same problem imo

No. This is disingenuous bullshit. Your basic class features make you functional in all statistical categories. Your class feat choices allow you to specialize in a particular play style, the same as feats and powers always have. This applies to both spellcasting and non-casting classes. Where spellcasting classes receive spells without any feat choices, other classes are improving their own mechanics. The fighter is already the best at fighting with their proficiencies, martial flexibility, and strong defensive abilities before their feat choices.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
If Pathfinder 3e is launch 4e, and Pathfinder 4e is 4e with MM3 maths and some fixes, I'm excited to see Pathfinder 5e.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that a martial character can be only an Archetype Feat or two from having a spell or two themselves.

The experience I’ve had is that casters are heavily pushed into a utility role in PF2e and the vast majority of damage will be martials.

However, repetitive play for martials is still an issue :(

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

hyphz posted:

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that a martial character can be only an Archetype Feat or two from having a spell or two themselves.

The experience I’ve had is that casters are heavily pushed into a utility role in PF2e and the vast majority of damage will be martials.

However, repetitive play for martials is still an issue :(

Repetitive play isn’t a huge problem for me, because there’s something deeply satisfying to me when I hit and get big numbers. Consistent big numbers? Great!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

That Old Tree posted:

lol jesus christ
When it was all over the booking agent, stunned, asked "What do you call this act?"

The father proudly answered "The Aristocrats Pathfinder!"

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Arivia posted:

This is pretty clear when taken in the proper context (ie: with the rest of the core rulebook.) The second Strike does not take the increased penalty as noted in the second sentence of Double Slice. You are right, the third attack if any you make will take a -10.

Double Slice gives you a second attack at your current penalty (-5 in most situations) and does combine damage for the sake of resistances.

Ok cool, I think I get it now. But why do you say it would usually be at -5? Wouldn’t you want to use this as your first move if you’re going to make three Strikes in the same round? And if it is, your current penalty would be -0 right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nickoten posted:

Ok cool, I think I get it now. But why do you say it would usually be at -5? Wouldn’t you want to use this as your first move if you’re going to make three Strikes in the same round? And if it is, your current penalty would be -0 right?

Correct. I was writing that kind of half-asleep. I meant to say that it would save you an attack penalty of -5 if you had one (technically it would be a penalty at -4 because agile, or -5 if not) which is huge in math terms in 2e.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Arivia posted:

Correct. I was writing that kind of half-asleep. I meant to say that it would save you an attack penalty of -5 if you had one (technically it would be a penalty at -4 because agile, or -5 if not) which is huge in math terms in 2e.

Yeah, that makes sense then. Thanks!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Arivia posted:

@Halloween Jack: the PF2 math is really tight so it never breaks apart like you’re describing and what happened in 3e/PF1. Instead you’re always challenged by thighs within about a five level range; if you really specialize you can punch above your weight at like legendary proficiency. The math behind proficiencies is laid out in the GMG in case you want to tinker with it; pulling level out makes lower-level creatures stay dangerous much longer and allows for a less super heroic feel.
That's good. It's a major improvement to not have 3e's complete mayhem of free-floating skill ranks and DCs. But can the fighter actually do anything besides HP damage?

Maxwell Lord posted:

Does PF2 have the equivalent of Come and Get It? If not, I'm not interested.
Ding ding ding.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 16, 2020

Warthur
May 2, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

If Pathfinder 3e is launch 4e, and Pathfinder 4e is 4e with MM3 maths and some fixes, I'm excited to see Pathfinder 5e.
Pathfinder 5E will basically be 5E. Which will still be the current version of D&D thanks to WotC/Hasbro's evergreening approach.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

My mom just self-quarantined and is already getting antsy, so I want to set up some virtual game nights. For someone who hasn't done a lot of online tabletop, what would be your recommendation for online play that would be easy for older person who works in an office but otherwise isn't terribly tech savvy? Board games or RPGs, doesn't matter.

Edit: to rephrase it, what's the most user friendly online tabletop?

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 16, 2020

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Hey, not sure if this is the right place to ask so feel free to direct me to a better thread:

My girlfriend and I are in quarantine for another week. We are occasional board gamers, have played stuff like Pandemic and 7 wonders. We have a big box that says Axis and Allies 1942 on it. I just spent an hour reading the manual and setting up the board. It's uh, well uh, we have a week to burn so here goes. Are there any house rules or tips for a 2-player game I should know?

The game is in one sense realistic, because the entire thing depends on eastern Europe. The German player should pump tanks and try to take Moscow and Karelia, while the Soviet player should dump everything into infantry first turn to make a meat wall, then build tanks to punch back. Everybody else can do whatever.

Setup and teardown will take about as long as playing the game, which is also quite long. Good luck!

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Tibalt posted:

My mom just self-quarantined and is already getting antsy, so I want to set up some virtual game nights. For someone who hasn't done a lot of online tabletop, what would be your recommendation for online play that would be easy for older person who works in an office but otherwise isn't terribly tech savvy? Board games or RPGs, doesn't matter.

Edit: to rephrase it, what's the most user friendly online tabletop?

I think if you know office software Tabletop Simulator might be your best bet. Grab a pre-set boardgame from the workshop or the DLC and go.

OR

Use video conferencing and some sort of camera-pointed-at-the-board setup?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
roll20's relatively easy to join and manage, since it's browser based. That said, on it's own it's pretty basic, and you'll have to program in (or find a community made) character sheet or add on to have things like rollable buttons for powers or the like. Also I know there's complaints about the audio/video quality (a lot of groups seem to use other software for those, and roll20 just for the whiteboard/tokens). I don't do much play that way though, so I can't comment on it.

There's several other VTTs out there that range from free to standardish software costs. Some of those people seem to like because they are more focused in providing support for a licensed set of games, so less out the box to do. Fantasy Grounds is the big one that seems to get mentioned for that a lot. I can't comment too much on it, as I've only done some limited stuff (it seemed fine), but others I'm sure can extol the virtues and flaws.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
On other news, the 0th edition of Glitch with public domain art is now available PoD for those who wished for it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Desiden posted:

roll20's relatively easy to join and manage, since it's browser based. That said, on it's own it's pretty basic, and you'll have to program in (or find a community made) character sheet or add on to have things like rollable buttons for powers or the like. Also I know there's complaints about the audio/video quality (a lot of groups seem to use other software for those, and roll20 just for the whiteboard/tokens). I don't do much play that way though, so I can't comment on it.

There's several other VTTs out there that range from free to standardish software costs. Some of those people seem to like because they are more focused in providing support for a licensed set of games, so less out the box to do. Fantasy Grounds is the big one that seems to get mentioned for that a lot. I can't comment too much on it, as I've only done some limited stuff (it seemed fine), but others I'm sure can extol the virtues and flaws.

I really want to get into roll20 but like, is it actually possible (or even feasible) to run a game from books that you own without buying a bunch of support in the app for running it?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yes? You do the math in your head, like if you were at the table.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

That's good. It's a major improvement to not have 3e's complete mayhem of free-floating skill ranks and DCs. But can the fighter actually do anything besides HP damage?

Ding ding ding.

Yes. First, you need to know that all the combat maneuvers that were common in 3e are now Athletics checks, and don’t require feats to be usable or useful. You can get Athletics skill feats to make them more effective, of course. (Sunder is largely gone, although you can now break your shield to block damage.)

So the fighter class feats focus on action economy and even stronger options, instead of making you muddy through Combat Reflexes or Dirty Fighting to get Improved Bull Rush or whatever to get started. Instead you get things like Combat Grab, which lets you make an attack and land a Grab (think Grapple but much less stupid) in one action. This actually starts at level 1; Snagging Strike lets you debuff enemies with flat-footed, which will set things up for your allies, including your rogue’s sneak attack.

It should be mentioned that fighters, champions (paladins), and to some degree barbarians are also very effective defenders in the 4e mode. Instead of a marking mechanic, defender-type characters in PF2 get attacks of opportunity (which other characters do not), and can use those to disrupt, debuff or further defend themselves against enemies. This uses your reaction (and so does using a shield to its utmost), which is why that level 20 capstone feat that gives you a reaction on every turn is actually really powerful: for a defender-build fighter, that’s a reaction on each and every enemy turn to disrupt them, or defend yourself or someone else from them.

Come and Get It is for barbarians in the CRB, which makes sense. They have a lot of class feats that synergize with Intimidate; barbarians look to tank by shouting taunts at enemies, making them completely ineffective and focused on them.

E: barbarian come and get it is not like the 4e fighter power. It’s like Robilar’s Gambit from 3.5, if you remember that.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 16, 2020

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Vampire the Dark Ages, Twentieth Anniversary Edition is free on DriveThru.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/144495/Vampire-20th-Anniversary-Edition-The-Dark-Ages

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Call of Cthulhu Coloring Book! Free! And a contest as well!

https://www.chaosium.com/blogstaying-in-color-in-at-home-with-chaosium-weve-made-call-of-cthulhu-the-coloring-book-a-free-download/

quote:

Dear members of the Chaosium tribe,

Many of you - like us - may be staying put at home over the coming weeks. We're all in this together, and to help keep spirits up and minds occupied, the Chaosium team is working on some fun and engaging diversions we can enjoy while staying in, working-from-home, in quarantine, or in self-isolation.

To start things off at #homewithchaosium, we've made the Gold ENnie award-winning Call of Cthulhu the Coloring Book available as a free download.

While away the hours in lockdown coloring an amazing array of scenes, with striking images from H.P. Lovecraft’s stories­—and the Call of Cthulhu RPG his imagination inspired (Horror on the Orient Express, Masks of Nyarlathotep, The Fungi from Yuggoth and more).

Wishing everyone all the best until the Stars are Right again.
— your friends at Chaosium

What's more, we're going to run a Call of Cthuhu Coloring Competition!

There are 28 eldritch scenes of Lovecraftian horror in Call of Cthulhu the Coloring Book. Colour in any of these pictures and share your work on social media with the hashtag #homewithchaosium.

Use Photoshop or a paint program on your computer, or print off your picture of choice and color it in with pencils, pens, Star Vampire blood, ichor, etc, we don't mind.

We'll share your works on our channels and BRP Central for everyone's delectation. We'll also pick out some winners! Winners will receive a Chaosium Redbubble Art Board of their own coloring-in masterpiece.

Download Call of Cthulhu the Coloring Book for free here.

BTW - if you'd like the printed version it's available here for USD$9.95 (includes PDF).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

food court bailiff posted:

I really want to get into roll20 but like, is it actually possible (or even feasible) to run a game from books that you own without buying a bunch of support in the app for running it?

Yes.

I'm currently running WWWRPG in it. Everyone's bought the pdf, and is running from either a printed character sheet or marking up a pdf on their iPad or whatever. I'm running the game from the pdf and some written notes. I made simple character sheets and macros so people could track their numbers and press a button instead of writing /roll 2d6+x. Took maybe half an hour to set up and I haven't paid anything.

I made a bunch of logos for the league and the characters in photoshop and found some '80s ads to display during breaks, and that took longer than setting up roll20.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Yes, with the caveat that it's easier or harder depending on the specific game you're running and some of it's needs.

You can import your own tokens and if you have access to a scanner you can always sketch maps and upload them as images.

Most of the functionality in the marketplace is either for automating stuff for various games (i.e. power cards, battlemap tiles that were made by others, adventure packs, etc.). The basic whiteboard and die roller can be used by anyone with a free membership.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Wow, the Pokemon tcg thread died ages ago. What made everyone stop caring? :saddowns:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Where are you nerds finding Tabletop Simulator games these days? I want to play boardgames and I don't want to kill people with a disease.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Feel bad that I made an rear end in a top hat out of myself on the trad games discord a lot of people use here. Very sorry.

anyway I respect Pathfinder 2e for stealing ideas from D&D 4e after Pathfinder 1e helped kill it, that's cool and good since I hate WotC more than Paizo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

Feel bad that I made an rear end in a top hat out of myself on the trad games discord a lot of people use here. Very sorry.

anyway I respect Pathfinder 2e for stealing ideas from D&D 4e after Pathfinder 1e helped kill it, that's cool and good since I hate WotC more than Paizo

don't worry getting fuego mad is basically a free square

loose beef

LOOSE BEEF

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

don't worry getting fuego mad is basically a free square

loose beef

LOOSE BEEF

You can be a real dick sometimes for seemingly no reason.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Yes, bringing up the Loose Beef Incident, definitely considered by everyone in this thread as a sick own on Fuego and not someone else.

I didn't even loving remember it was Fuego, but I sure as poo poo remember the other principal in that exchange.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I'm playing in a D&D 4e game on Roll20 now using only freely available stuff (mainly the character sheet), so even crunchy systems are doable. I wrote a Google sheet to help build macros—Roll20 has a template for 4e powers but it's inconvenient at best to use manually. It's here if anyone wants to give it a whirl.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

You can be a real dick sometimes for seemingly no reason.

I'm okay with mocking someone whose idea of a "REAL MANLY MEAL" for when he escaped from his girlfriend was a pound of cooked, unspiced, loose beef

e: like that's the kind of toxic masculinity I can happily laugh at all day long

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

I'm okay with mocking someone whose idea of a "REAL MANLY MEAL" for when he escaped from his girlfriend was a pound of cooked, unspiced, loose beef

e: like that's the kind of toxic masculinity I can happily laugh at all day long

You really utterly fail to understand why you’re in the wrong on this, and are further wrong to cling to this grudge for literal years.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

You really utterly fail to understand why you’re in the wrong on this, and are further wrong to cling to this grudge for literal years.

What, because he tried to reframe it as me attacking his girlfriend for being a vegetarian (whatever), and then kicked me out on those pretenses because his fragile ego got hurt? I'm not seeing anything that disputes the toxic masculinity at play here.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
why are you doing this

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

SunAndSpring posted:

Sunny, to respond to your original post, people have bad times. It happens. I know you’re facing difficulties now and I wish we could help more.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

why are you doing this

because it's important to show you that you're not an rear end in a top hat for not indulging the bad behaviours and thought distortions of "trad games regulars", whatever might have happened

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

because it's important to show you that you're not an rear end in a top hat for not indulging the bad behaviours and thought distortions of "trad games regulars", whatever might have happened

Hey, I'd like to submit that maybe this frame of mind is why you're persona non grata across a huge swathe of the forums.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

fool of sound posted:

Hey, I'd like to submit that maybe this frame of mind is why you're persona non grata across a huge swathe of the forums.

Oh, I'm sure! People don't like getting called out on their bullshit, and they prefer to flock with others who protect their delusions (see my avatar, a gift from another offsite Discord community who decided they wanted to be moral police.)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Arivia posted:

Oh, I'm sure! People don't like getting called out on their bullshit, and they prefer to flock with others who protect their delusions (see my avatar, a gift from another offsite Discord community who decided they wanted to be moral police.)

Refusing any sort of self-examination by deflecting to the perceived flaws of the person or group you're currently beefing with isn't clear-sighted or healthy behavior. The problem is you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
When marginalized people ask you to stop talking about sex stuff because it is an uncomfortable topic for them, and even give you several suggestions about how if you’re incapable of stopping for whatever reason how to mitigate the associated harm, and your response is to ignore them it doesn’t make them the assholes.