Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The in game dodo airline. We’ve seen 4 different colors so far: red, blue, green, and yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
on one side, yay for reviews, super happy to hear this game is as fun as it seemed all this time.

on the other, four days of watching reviews and wanting this game even more :argh:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I ain't reading no reviews! (except that vice one lol) Time is passing just fine!

I will miss the hilariously violent bonking-about of gyroids but that's about it. Hopefully there's no replacement item I feel compelled to hoard in my home.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

enojy posted:

I will miss the hilariously violent bonking-about of gyroids but that's about it. Hopefully there's no replacement item I feel compelled to hoard in my home.

I've been talking about gyroids with other friends this morning and got reminded that it's perfectly possible they'll be added in some update or other even if early reviewers haven't seen them.
:pray:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

enojy posted:

I ain't reading no reviews! (except that vice one lol) Time is passing just fine!

the replacement items: all of the others

But yea, gyroids being gone sucks, but hell even as an obsessive collector it's not like I'm not gonna be trying to get tons of other stuff too.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
I added myself to the friend code list there. Looks like I still had one or two people saved from New Leaf.

Bummed about gyroids though, hope they do come in an update or something.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So what I most want to know is if upgraded tools still break. Like the fishing rod and bug net in particular.

I can deal with early flimsy tools breaking, but if we have to deal with stockpiling backups forever, that'd be slightly lame.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

There's almost certainly no way they haven't added unbreakable versions as the final upgrade

Maybe this will be the benefit of golden tools

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

There's almost certainly no way they haven't added unbreakable versions as the final upgrade

Maybe this will be the benefit of golden tools
Well if course the golden versions won't break. But the golden net and fishing rod aren't going to be obtained for the better part of a year.

We've also seen cute customized tools, and it would be real unfortunate if you had to remake them all the time.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

No gyroids = sad. :(

Four more days! Jesus, can't wait.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
All I saw Wolfgang better be in it. I crave that curmudgeonly bastard for my island. I'm really excited for this game. I played a ton on my DS and I think my daughter would love to watch me play, she's 18 months.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Eiba posted:

Well if course the golden versions won't break. But the golden net and fishing rod aren't going to be obtained for the better part of a year.

huh?

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Well, uni's closed until at least the 22nd and they've booted everyone out of the office to work remotely, so at least I'll have time to play!

And is there any way I can snag one of those gang tags?

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Eiba posted:

With Southern Hemisphere Islands, Golden Bug Net and Fishing Rods might be obtainable in only 3-4 months, if they still unlock by catching all things.

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1239561018197651458

This has to get patched in later right? What's the point of HD custom designs if you have to use the d-pad to make them? The ones we can import from New Leaf with QR codes are only a quarter of the new custom design size.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1239584841466863622?s=20

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

That is a very bizarre omission. Oh well, at least I won't feel obligated to buy a stylus!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

You've usually had to catch every fish or bug to get the golden tools. Presumably there are some winter bugs and fish we just missed.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Are you guys with Amazon preorders cancelling and going with digital or... pick up in-store? Just wondering what the chances are of it actually getting here Friday.

Also, may I please have the raccoon goon tag? Thank you.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Basically with physical you're mostly gaining the ability to taste the cartridge just in case Nintendo has secretly rolled out a delicious version just for this game, and that seems fairly unlikely.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Bro imagine if amidst this quarantine instead of releasing an Animal Crossing game with daily/weekly checklists, Nintendo released old Animal Crossing where fossils took a day to process and you can only do 3 per day, and you couldn't get all the tools in the first couple days, and you couldn't run over flowers, and Nook's Cranny closed before the sun went down irl.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Nintendo are an amazing company. They always take the craft of videogame production and design to such an amazing level. All with a kind of quirky wholesome kind of attitude. And then they'll do something mad like forget that their console has a touchscreen for drawing with in a segment of a game where it's the ONLY FEASIBLE OPTION.

:argh:

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Eiba posted:

You've usually had to catch every fish or bug to get the golden tools. Presumably there are some winter bugs and fish we just missed.

Winter is 3 months away on a Southern Hemisphere island.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

please tell me this is satire

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Framboise posted:

please tell me this is satire

It's not. It's very on-brand for Waypoint, and in a lot of cases they talk about it they're the only ones doing so when it's very necessary, but this time definitely feels like a reach.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'm still laughing at that Polygon review of Tropico 5 where the reviewer had their feelings hurt because they have to play a dictator in this comedic parody of dictatorship. Weepy reviews own.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I lean reaaaaaally far to the left but oof that Vice review. That reads like a very well done onion article. The fact it's real is bizarre.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Animal Crossing simply isn't analogous to the real world.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

That Vice article is a classic Gita Jackson piece, and she is largely responsible for all the articles that set off the "Kotaku is at it again :rolleyes:" crowd as well. It's sort of just... what she does.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

She also said she loves the game, so, vOv

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Gita is good and correct, and so is Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Nintendo Switch

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Gita is cool and good and I think an avatar for Chaos if her appearances on Waypoint Radio are anything to go on

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

sexpig by night posted:

the replacement items: all of the others

But yea, gyroids being gone sucks, but hell even as an obsessive collector it's not like I'm not gonna be trying to get tons of other stuff too.

Yeah making a Gyroid room in my basement was one of my favorite things. :(

I fired up my 3DSXL and apparently my old AC game was gone replaced by one that had only just been started. Ah well.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I get Friday off without asking for it.:smug:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I don't know if this has been posted, but something to keep in mind:

https://twitter.com/_acmocha/status/1239105476903796742?s=20

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm sad my creepy but captivating Gyroid friends won't be joining us, but this means I can actually use my basement for something instead of just storing my collection of terrifying ghost mushroom noise robots.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

From the experienced villagers out there, what do you usually do during the first week or so considering the slow startup and burn of the game? Is the first leg of gameplay just meeting citizens, getting tools, and selling fruit?

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Finally got around to digitally pre-ordering and pro-loading this today so I'll be ready for when Nintendo suddenly launches it early later today.

Right?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm going to turn my island into a horrifying Caribbean dictatorship and no one can stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

little 3 minute tour of what an island can look like 18 days in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRoc-LQeg-k

i dunno if this is new info but he mentions that his house used to be on the beach but he moved it later on, which is pretty awesome for the indecisive players out there