Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

why does the prime minister of the united kingdom keep talking about sombreros during a pandemic

Because he's in massively over his head and has been since he left Oxbridge Rugby club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

https://twitter.com/isabelzawtun/status/1239564142849282049

I like charlie brooker but I think maybe we gotta stop him writing any more shows :ohdear:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So ignoring the fact that we're deliberately not actually testing much of anyone wouldnt the fact that yesterday had fewer new cases in the uk than the day before mean we're pretty much through the worst of this now? Bit of a fuss about nothing really.

We need to bring the testing down to zero so that virus has nowhere to go. It can't infect future-tested people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/liamyoung/status/1239549451812904962?s=20

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Guavanaut posted:

You need 60% minimum. Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum might work at a pinch. Or methylated spirits (don't do the drinking part with this).

40% will probably still work tbh. But as you say the closer to 70% the better.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TACD posted:

https://twitter.com/isabelzawtun/status/1239564142849282049

I like charlie brooker but I think maybe we gotta stop him writing any more shows :ohdear:

The first Black Mirror was literally this, wasn't it?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Worth £4 billion seems a stretch.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Ricky Gervais thinks everything's going to be back to normal in a few weeks.

Funniest thing he's ever said.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

So if we’re three weeks behind Italy, does that mean London is only one week behind? Or the rest of us are actually five weeks behind?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at all the businesses boris is going to bankrupt by protecting insurance industries

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The first Black Mirror was literally this, wasn't it?
Dead Set, but almost exactly this yes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

knox_harrington posted:

40% will probably still work tbh. But as you say the closer to 70% the better.
Probably, but you've got two problems, the boiling point/vapor pressure difference will mean your hands are wet longer, and the reduced antiviral activity would mean you'd have to wash them for longer.

I suppose the two could work in each others favor, but I don't really want to rub whiskey over all over my hands for 10 minutes if there's an alternative

Oodles posted:

So if we’re three weeks behind Italy, does that mean London is only one week behind? Or the rest of us are actually five weeks behind?

We're about 2 weeks behind more likely.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Yikes, no non-essential travel is kind of painful. Do you guys think it still be okay if it's just driving to a car park and then going biking/camping on a moor? shouldn't be any real danger of spreading the virus.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I thought Big Brother was cancelled a while ago.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I think that guidance is aimed at populated areas, not the bleak forsaken tundra of dartmoor. mind you it'll be full of numptys ambling about until it gets dark enough to pitch a tent

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

hemale in pain posted:

Yikes, no non-essential travel is kind of painful. Do you guys think it still be okay if it's just driving to a car park and then going biking/camping on a moor? shouldn't be any real danger of spreading the virus.

I was, surprisingly, wondering this myself. I really can't see the harm though - you won't come into contact with anyone on the drive over or while you're on the moors. At worst it's the walk through whatever town/village you park in but even then.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ash Crimson posted:

gently caress off mate, I have elderly and health-compromised relatives, but Forkboy wants to accelerate poo poo you disengenuous gently caress

I am not arguing for accelerationism, just acknowledging that if the pandemic continues to expose the absolute failures built into the confidence trick of capitalism we should be prepared to leap on it. You're the one who leapt on my advice to check small stores and pharmacies for soap as me arguing coughing in her granny's face.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

So hows Labour? I heard all leadership candidates signed a pledge to give a Zionist group the power to expel Labour members at will and were going to use this to boot Corbyn. How did that go?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

If you ensure to practice social distancing should you come across anybody on your travels then I think it'd be fine. And you know, don't go licking car door handles in the car park or anything.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Anyone self-employed, on benefits or run a business should have a look at the benefits page from the government

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-support-for-employees-benefit-claimants-and-businesses

I'm self-employed but I'm hosed, so apparently I can now sign up for Universal Credit and get it paid straight away?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

justcola posted:

lol

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Italy figures: 350 dead today, slightly fewer than yesterday. They might be peaking, thanks to their draconian lockdown 7 days ago.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

zhar posted:

There should be a rule against posting like this.

I see you're new to the delights of Ash Crimson

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah i'm gonna check the local cornershop tomorrow.

dunno if they'll have shelves full of toilet paper and hand sanitiser but they've got a brimful of Asha

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So ignoring the fact that we're deliberately not actually testing much of anyone wouldnt the fact that yesterday had fewer new cases in the uk than the day before mean we're pretty much through the worst of this now? Bit of a fuss about nothing really.

ignoring the fact there's a pandemic going on maybe you should start a career as a hospital porter

holy poo poo this is incredible

Big Brother is still going

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So what's the verdict on family? Stay the gently caress away from them at all costs?

I haven't seen mine since my grandad's funeral and I'll be seriously gutted not to see my mum on mother's day. My partner's mum already told her not to bother coming home and she's crushed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

dunno if they'll have shelves full of toilet paper and hand sanitiser but they've got a brimful of Asha

zhar posted:

There should be a rule against posting like this.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Turned up at the doctors to be told my appointment is cancelled and they’ll do an appointment over the phone instead. I’m not sure how they’re going to administer a T injection over the phone but I’m intrigued to find out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

So what's the verdict on family? Stay the gently caress away from them at all costs?
Yes
_\_

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Katt posted:

So hows Labour? I heard all leadership candidates signed a pledge to give a Zionist group the power to expel Labour members at will and were going to use this to boot Corbyn. How did that go?

Turns out everyone in the Labour Party is an antisemite for not giving Israel the right to drop as much white phosphorous on schools as they like, but it’s all okay now because apparently since the election the problem just disappeared instantly so I guess all the antisemites died on their way back to their home planet. Or maybe the issue was entirely manufactured by the right wing supporting media based on some random tweets and “evidence” that seems to consist of “labour party members were really cross at this member of labour for Israel for repeatedly yelling to vote conservative and the fact the member was Jewish makes this antisemitism”

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Deketh posted:

I was, surprisingly, wondering this myself. I really can't see the harm though - you won't come into contact with anyone on the drive over or while you're on the moors. At worst it's the walk through whatever town/village you park in but even then.

well i'm not worried about going past people. i just feel like i'm being a bit irresponsible.

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

If you ensure to practice social distancing should you come across anybody on your travels then I think it'd be fine. And you know, don't go licking car door handles in the car park or anything.

yup, i will do that. and i guess i'll resist the licking this time.

e: probably gonna load up on supplies so we don't need to visit any towns for too long. gonna be fun trying to fit a bunch of booze in the panniers.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

stev posted:

I'm certainly avoiding mine. My sister and I have assured each other we need not rush to contagious deathbeds.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

ignoring the fact there's a pandemic going on maybe you should start a career as a hospital porter

This sounds awfully like you don't have my best interests in mind.

hemale in pain posted:

I'm pretty sure non essential travel means stuff you don't have to do rather than stuff we probably just think is okay anyway. I mean what happens if you fall over or something and need an ambulance? I don't want to be a downer or tell you what to do but I guess every little helps...

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

hemale in pain posted:

Do you guys think it still be okay if it's just driving to a car park and then going biking/camping on a moor?

I suppose you might want to think about when and how you'll get petrol next.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ThomasPaine posted:

In a way Boris should be thrilled. He always fantasised about being Churchill, now here's his big crisis. He could even do what Churchill did and make everyone forget all his garbage by pulling us through this disaster with strong leadership, forcing through major economic and public health provisions to minimise fatalities and provide security. But no, of course he only ever liked the idea of being this great statesman, he never actually wanted the responsibilities that go along with it, so he's going to hide away and do gently caress all and probably go down as the single worst PM Britain has ever had. So that's cool.

He can rerecord all his press conferences later for posterity and change them so he's presenting policies and offering good advice

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

I suppose you might want to think about when and how you'll get petrol next.

to be fair you can do pay at pump and just take some disposable gloves

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

This sounds awfully like you don't have my best interests in mind.

it really shouldn't be a problem, we're ignoring the pandemic remember

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ThomasPaine posted:

In a way Boris should be thrilled. He always fantasised about being Churchill, now here's his big crisis. He could even do what Churchill did and make everyone forget all his garbage by pulling us through this disaster with strong leadership, forcing through major economic and public health provisions to minimise fatalities and provide security. But no, of course he only ever liked the idea of being this great statesman, he never actually wanted the responsibilities that go along with it, so he's going to hide away and do gently caress all and probably go down as the single worst PM Britain has ever had. So that's cool.

Hah you wish. The media will immortalize his brave managing of this situation as Churchill 1.5. 30 years from now an orphanage will be demolished to build a statu of him.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
A few days of shortness of breath has turned into a low fever and a cough so I think we're through the incubation of whatever this is and we're about to head into the fun bit. The others in the house have it about the same, none of us know where we got it but eh, such is life. We have some stocks, and it still might not be covid19, just some other flu thing but there you go, if it is it is.

Assuming it is, if you are thinking "well, I don't have *all* the symptoms" and it's not gonna bankrupt you to stay in, if you actually do have the choice to stay in, please do it for the sake of all the people that don't.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

to be fair you can do pay at pump and just take some disposable gloves

What if the oil rigs and the refineries shut down :tinfoil:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I tried the scary forrin shop nobody ever seems to go in on the way home from work and came away with a 12 pack of toilet rolls to satisfy my (now panicking) wife that we have enough to last a little while.

They had shelves of the stuff but I'm not a total oval office so I left that for other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
it’s my friends stag do next weekend, I’m guessing that’s that hosed