Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How long before the daily press briefings are just a stand in with Boris' face deepfake'd over it and clips from previous briefings edited together to sound like a new message?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

it’s my friends stag do next weekend, I’m guessing that’s that hosed

Yes. In honesty the wedding's probably hosed too.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

quote:

Or methylated spirits (don't do the drinking part with this).

I thought about this last week, just getting some meths and adding a gelling agent to it. It turns out that not all alcohols are created equal when it comes to antiviral properties. Methyl alcohol is bottom of the heap in this regard.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Moonwolf posted:

Yes. In honesty the wedding's probably hosed too.

That’s not for another month and a half but this isn’t going anywhere soon is it? fingers crossed he’s got wedding insurance!

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Just got word our workplace is closing from next week. Manager has no answers for us when it comes to our jobs or pay. What are our options here? I've already started looking for other work, hopefully it pans out. Any one else in the same boat?

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

hemale in pain posted:

well i'm not worried about going past people. i just feel like i'm being a bit irresponsible.

It's a bit tricky I suppose, it seems harmless but people raised some good what ifs. I was going to go at the weekend and I suppose the situation could be quite a bit different by then, so the decision may be easier to make.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

stev posted:

How long before the daily press briefings are just a stand in with Boris' face deepfake'd over it and clips from previous briefings edited together to sound like a new message?

Preview of the next few months briefings:

Ikwaylx
Aug 19, 2011

Drop the bandibass!

it’s my friends stag do next weekend, I’m guessing that’s that hosed

Haha, same for me too. They're still confident it's going to go ahead.

One of my friends told me he thinks that the tail end of this will be mid April and I just, I can't even fathom the delusion.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

My wedding's in September and I'm pretty loving on edge about it.

I have insurance but this is such an unprecedented situation. gently caress knows if it'd be covered.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Soylent Yellow posted:

I thought about this last week, just getting some meths and adding a gelling agent to it. It turns out that not all alcohols are created equal when it comes to antiviral properties. Methyl alcohol is bottom of the heap in this regard.
Yeah, but proper methylated spirits is about 90% ethanol and 5% methanol so it'll still work, it just makes it bad to drink.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

stev posted:

My wedding's in September and I'm pretty loving on edge about it.

I have insurance but this is such an unprecedented situation. gently caress knows if it'd be covered.

Mine's in June. Venue still 'business as usual' but I'm p sure it will be cancelled. Hopefully the insurance covers it.... the insurer has stopped taking new business for a few weeks now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Hey at least therapy's not cancelled this week.

I'll be doing it by phone though because my therapist is self isolating.

Yes gods this is.

IDEK any more I'm a stewpot of stress and anxiety about illness at the best of times I feel like my head is exploding right now.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Public talk I was due to give for work has been cancelled, massive silver lining as I would have been extremely winging it lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Public talk I was due to give for work has been cancelled, massive silver lining as I would have been extremely winging it lmao

Hahaha I had to give a little presentation last wednesday and I was not looking forward to it because i hate public speaking, managed to cancel it by refusing to go in to the office. Score.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Ikwaylx posted:

Haha, same for me too. They're still confident it's going to go ahead.

One of my friends told me he thinks that the tail end of this will be mid April and I just, I can't even fathom the delusion.

It's supposedly peaking in 8-10 weeks so yeah that's.... not a good estimate.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
idris elba tested positive

i will never forgive boris if he murders my favorite actor

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

namesake posted:

It's supposedly peaking in 8-10 weeks so yeah that's.... not a good estimate.

out of curiosity, where does that 8-10 weeks figure come from?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't really think of any way of disinfecting paper without loving it up, unless you've got a gamma-ray source easily to hand. If you're genuinely worried (i.e. you are, or are caring for, someone in a very high-risk group - and if you've got a gamma ray source just lying around your house you probably are in a high risk group) just wash your hands after handling it or wear gloves.
there's a nice 2007 paper that covers heat treatment decontamination for SARS: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/153567600701200206

they mention 68C 10-30m, so as a rule i've been saying 70C for at least 30m. try and convince any work that needs to stay open to go get an oven if they receive lots of outside mail and are sure it's all paper. 70C should be nowhere near the ignition point of any material involved, but should get rid of biological agents

rushing the disease out as far and wide as possible as fast as possible, we want this over quickly for the economy ignore the dead

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Second meeting tomorrow to discuss working from home. No dial in option obvs, face to face only.

I am now formally warned against speaking about coronavirus and it’s potential impact on the business because I shared concerns with some other senior staff members, they passed these on to junior staff members, and the junior staff got upset. So we have to do forecasting for the next financial year without mentioning that a product producing 40% of our annual revenue specifically pertains to people over 65 & their general health and well-being.

Evil director literally referenced millennium bug hysteria as evidence of why this will all blow over this afternoon. Never actually seen that in the wild.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

idris elba tested positive

i will never forgive boris if he murders my favorite actor

https://mobile.twitter.com/idriselba/status/1239617034901524481

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

Sanford posted:

Evil director literally referenced millennium bug hysteria as evidence of why this will all blow over this afternoon. Never actually seen that in the wild.

loving hell, what’s wrong with these people?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Maybe you brits are gonna be mad lucky and this whole affair will be nothing but a breeze. Who knows, maybe mad Boris is right, for once. My personal bet is no, but I don't know poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably the rate at which the exponential growth would reach the entire country, plus a bit extra assuming it tapers off.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably the rate at which the exponential growth would reach the entire country, plus a bit extra assuming it tapers off.

Don't know exactly, it was a throwaway comment during Thursdays announcement.

Probably wrong now given that they said we were 4 weeks behind Italy at the same time and that's not true.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

loving hell, what’s wrong with these people?

I'm Smarter Than You All Because I've Decided Not To Care About Anything is a hell of a drug, turns out

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I can see at the end of all this there being a huge political realignment in this country. Looks like the billionaires and the bankers are already firing people left and right and centre to make sure they don't lose money in a time of national crisis, while already begging the government for handouts to cover their coronavirus losses which they'll almost certainly get thanks to "too big 2 fail lol", while simultainously the NHS collapses from underfunding and 800 thousand people die from a prevetable disease.
I'd like to think people will think of that when they're wondering which party has their best, and the countries best interests at heart.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'd like to think people will think of that when they're wondering which party has their best, and the countries best interests at heart.

They'll vote for whoever harms the forrins the most.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Feeling pretty shivery and achey now too. Cool cool

Drone_Fragger posted:

I can see at the end of all this there being a huge political realignment in this country. Looks like the billionaires and the bankers are already firing people left and right and centre to make sure they don't lose money in a time of national crisis, while already begging the government for handouts to cover their coronavirus losses which they'll almost certainly get thanks to "too big 2 fail lol", while simultainously the NHS collapses from underfunding and 800 thousand people die from a prevetable disease.

lmao

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sanford posted:

It's annoying that basically the first time in history that a global problem has been spotted in advance, planned for, and remedied with significant investment and millions of man hours of work before it could cause any harm, has gone down in history as the quintessential example of a fuss over nothing.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If he didn't have symptoms, how did he get tested? 🤔

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

blunt posted:

being in contact with someone who'd tested positive I assume

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/RTUKnews/status/1239584711346769920

:britain:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/whippletom/status/1239619001522761728?s=20

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

blunt posted:

you can literally just buy a test privately if you're rich op

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

It's annoying that basically the first time in history that a global problem has been spotted in advance, planned for, and remedied with significant investment and millions of man hours of work before it could cause any harm, has gone down in history as the quintessential example of a fuss over nothing.

WW2 was a big fuss over nothing, i didn't see a single german in my house and yet everyone all had a bee in their bonnet for some reason

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

So many thumbs

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

So.... did COBRA just spitball theories around, decide that the herd immunity one sounded better for the economy and then announce it BEFORE looking at any sort of modelling?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

So.... did COBRA just spitball theories around, decide that the herd immunity one sounded better for the economy and then announce it BEFORE looking at any sort of modelling?

What about the history of tory governments would possibly give you that impression :v:

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

I can't wait for this to be in a "World at War" style documentary about the 2020s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

namesake posted:

That would be extremely on brand