Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Has anyone said Fart Poopizen yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Better than what?

I get that he's trying to have fun here, but it's telling that he felt the need to make an open-ended comparison instead of just saying he thinks the game is great. Other than that, it felt like another 2020 is the year of Linux on the desktop type spiel. Yes I can customize my desktop and it looks pretty but what can I DO with it? :v:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

Better than what?

I get that he's trying to have fun here, but it's telling that he felt the need to make an open-ended comparison instead of just saying he thinks the game is great. Other than that, it felt like another 2020 is the year of Linux on the desktop type spiel. Yes I can customize my desktop and it looks pretty but what can I DO with it? :v:

Star Citizen: Great space simulator, or the greatest space simulator?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That's the thing though, the mission entrance/exit is way more meaningful and cool if its going to follow/precede a loading screen. All you get to see in the Quantum Jump is blue lines like a cheap Dr. Who knockoff.

Yeah, true. I agree. I just wasn't sure what you meant.

Even E:D jumping and frame shifting gets old at some point. I can imagine how it's going to be like after a week of 5 minute jumps in SC. Or however long they take.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lobsterminator posted:

5 minute jumps in SC

lol

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

G0RF posted:

That’s not outside the realm. A billionaire investing in a celebrity-packed game because his son has film industry ambitions is a plausible motive. If that were a deciding factor, then Chris would have good cause to worry about pissing Calder off.

There’s so much we can’t really know yet, but I do think there’s a very real chance Calder got sold on a bogus pitch about how close they were to completion. I’ve watched that 2018 Squadron Holiday livestream a few times, and I’m struck by quite a lot of it still two years later. The overarching theme was “we’re getting close now”, and the centerpiece was that hour long vertical slice. There were no “we can’t show you things because SPOILERS” handwringing at the time. Instead, we got what we were told was a discreet mission somewhere past the halfway point of the game with craptons of super serious spoilers dialogue and assurances from Chris that they’d be finishing up the rest by the end of next year (2019). We got tours of their major offices, we got (once again) introductions to their leadership team, with each of them expressing confidence in Squadron. We got Chambers letting us know that the cinematics teams at Frankfurt were exclusively a Squadron resource. We got told to sign up for the Squadron newsletter to get exclusive sneak peaks. We got told we’d get monthly video updates as the game was brought to completion. We got a Squadron Roadmap with a 2020 Beta. And on and on.

Pretty much everything they claimed or committed to in that video has fallen apart. The project leader switched from Erin to Chambers. Squadron’s creative director switched from Meller to Elms. The Roadmap was declared confusing and impossible to update because “game dev is hard” + “spoilers”. If the video was made more as pitch to Big Money than update to backers (and it sure seems like it was), then the Big Money got played big time. They paid quite a premium for their ten percent stake in the unproven studio with a history of disastrous self-owns and missed targets that hasn’t ever released a finished product:

We don’t know whether or to what extent that matters.

My favorite quotes from that VentureBeat story are these:

So that’s at least what Chris was telling himself back then. Calder gave no comment to Venturebeat, and has rarely ever given comment on anything, so we’ve no clue how much latitude he might grant Chris in the event Chris failed to hit targets. Which he obviously has.

What if it doesn’t all work? Who knows. But we do know at least a little bit about Calder:

That’s the billionaire Chris sweet-talked out of $46 million. A ruthless germaphobe bunkered up in the Caymans who never talks to the press or even allows himself to be photographed. Chris is already certain to blame Coronavirus for development delays that have nothing whatsoever to do with it. So he’s got twice as many reasons to lean heavily on that crutch since germs are allegedly Calder’s kryptonite. (Chris is so shameless he absolutely would do this and hope for the best.)

Anyway... maybe Calder’s just a big teddy bear, Chris has free reign and access to future capital on friendly terms and none of this Father/Son theorycrafting, the bullishly bogus 2018 sales pitch, the continuing delays and the outbreak of a pandemic matters at all. It really might not. Chris certainly has a knack for catching lucky breaks and buying more time. It does seem like despite the delays Squadron is being pushed forward towards some kind of release. There’s rumors in a certain backwater that despite the chaos it’s still coming out in a year or so and it’s going to be a fantastic crapfest. So hope springs eternal for the glories we’ve been so long denied.

Good posts as always. I think you’re right that the big SQ42 push in 2018 was for the benefit of potential investors. Something is happening behind the scenes, with Sandi now gone and Chris and Erin slowly fading away. But what exactly? It’s hard to say for sure. But it does have the feel of the Freelancer situation.

I think it was telling that Chambers and the other devs being interviewed all mentioned “of course we run everything by Chris and he’s overseeing everything!” like it had to be proven that he’s still around, you could see some of the nervousness too come out when they said it, like it was something they were told to emphasize, not something that was a natural part of the answers they were giving.

It’s hilarious that we’re at this point with SQ42 after Erin promised that a 2020 beta was a sure thing and that all of the roadmaps would be super realistic. It’s obvious to everyone even the cultists that it’s getting another big delay, but CIG still refuses to come out and admit this. But even if it’s not coming out for another year or two, a normal game at this point would have begun a marketing push with gameplay trailers and demos. All we got was that pathetic montage of art assets on Christmas. With the PU, it’s failure is plain to see, and MMO’s are extremely hard to get right m. But, I’m always left scratching my head over why a company of 500 people, given 8 years and 300 million dollars can’t pump out a modern Wing Commander homage.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 16, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dementropy posted:

:reddit::
they seem to be not putting out a roadmap to stop spoilers and the troll squad from making poo poo up again....

cant troll or fud if you have nothing and you look really stupid when your troll/fud fails.

I am sure many items are still there. we keep getting items from the backlog... but people try and complain that they are new items...

of course they are going to change the roadmap. every company I have ever worked at has changed their plans... some daily. things happen, some for the good, some for the bad. making that the lynch pin of an argument is not a good argument. especially when someone is making something new....

company who makes new xray scanners rushes xray scanners.... bad things happen.... who could have predicted this....

All those stupid refundians and fudsters are ruining the concept of open development for the rest of us.

Until they got their nasty grip on CIG we were all involved in all the aspects of CIG development and were never surprised by anything CIG showed because they talked to us.

Stupid fudsters. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AbstractNapper posted:

:lol:
But what happens if said company has released no product in 8 years? And missed all promised deadlines to deliver such to clients by years? And has instead only given them a straw connected to a piece of string to play? And put up a bunch of screenshots for add-on equipment for the scanner that does not exist?

Only good things happen then.

It's not just "not released in 8 years", it's "never released a finished product to date, ever" as well. Which helps to set the tone of success.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

colonelwest posted:

But, I’m always left scratching my head over why a company of 500, given 8 years and 300 million dollars can’t pump out a modern Wing Commander homage.

This is the key question and the key answer is the man in charge didn't want to provide just an homage.

One very common "positive" that Star Citizen fans love to mention is the Ambition. Failing every other mumbo jumbo bullshit reason, like subsumption, refactoring, The Ambition is and has always been the ultimate excuse.

The Kickstarter that regenerated interest in space flight, acquiring some people from crytek, it's not an additional donation, it's a pledge for something bigger. The money leftover is so huge he could bring actors he used to work with or wanted to work with.

From the outsider perspective, They have the people now, they have the money and the talk shows as "transparency". They have a working space door, and ten grand espresso machine.

Nothing lasts forever though, most of us have seen or called it years ago, but at the rate they are going, eventually that outlook will change from a plucky developer with a chance given by the people, to a Chuaua barking away, pretending to be innovative, all the while the Goodwill, much like the actual money, has been grossly squandered away.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 16, 2020

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Yamiks is pretty tongue in cheek about most things.

Here's his ED one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1HO4ZHijAA

If there is actually some redeeming features in Elite they have to do with its great flight model and combat. Him ignoring that in Elite and claiming SC is the better one tells me all that is needed about this streamer judgment and intellectual capacity. Nevermind the SC better at open communication and roadmaps, lol, poor guy.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

serious norman posted:

Has anyone said Fart Poopizen yet

Excuse me, it's called Shart Shitizen.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

ACK ACK!

ACK ACK ACKACKACKACK!

:five:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

IronicDongz posted:

every time I see the face capture stuff I'm surprised all over again at just how terrible it looks.

it's so unconvincing and kinda creepy. like a rubber masked robot awkwardly trying to lipsync pre-recorded dialogue.

It'd be nice if some day it's good enough to read lips, but something like that probably won't also be wrapped up in a game like this; at least not until the Internet gets faster and better.

I'd love to know what happened to the whole ASL bit they pimped to all us hard of hearing people and then never mentioned it again.

Surely CR and crew didn't use that just that exploit us for money and attention for a brief time with no intentions of ever carrying through. This is definitely not like CR as a perfectionist and an experienced and trusted game developer.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

The Titanic posted:

It'd be nice if some day it's good enough to read lips, but something like that probably won't also be wrapped up in a game like this; at least not until the Internet gets faster and better.

I'd love to know what happened to the whole ASL bit they pimped to all us hard of hearing people and then never mentioned it again.

Surely CR and crew didn't use that just that exploit us for money and attention for a brief time with no intentions of ever carrying through. This is definitely not like CR as a perfectionist and an experienced and trusted game developer.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/02/11/star-citizen-is-adding-american-sign-language-emotes/

The comments are a perfect Citizen Defence Force time capsule.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah chris wants to get it right, thats why it takes a bit longer

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Freelancer's Jump/Highway system was pretty nice. No ships had jump cores so you had to funnel through preconstructed jump-ports or find wormholes. The highway system let you move between set points of interest while still being able to drop out at will, or be interdicted. Lastly, it had super cruise for reaching nearby locations when no highway system was nearby.

It doesn't satisfy the podcast spacetrucker itch, but it made the gameplay way more interesting.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

God drat man there’s so much sleaze oozing out of CIG that I loose track sometimes.

I remember now how CIG was going to revolutionize gaming for the hearing impaired! A year later, and with no updates whatsoever, I’m going to assume that it’s going great.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

colonelwest posted:

God drat man there’s so much sleaze oozing out of CIG that I loose track sometimes.

I remember now how CIG was going to revolutionize gaming for the hearing impaired! A year later, and with no updates whatsoever, I’m going to assume that it’s going great.

They're obviously waiting for their master linguist to make a custom language for them, before they also create sign language to match the english translations

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
Will Star Citizen survive covid19?

I think if anything will kill this project, it will be the virus.

With the world economy essentially shutting down for the next several months, hard to believe even the most fervent believers keeping this thing alive. Not only that, with the way the markets are trending, Calders might pull their investment.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

Scam targeting knows no bounds.

CR only wants your money.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Warhawk109 posted:

With the world economy essentially shutting down for the next several months, hard to believe even the most fervent believers keeping this thing alive. Not only that, with the way the markets are trending, Calders might pull their investment.

Chris will find some way to blame the delays on it at the very least. They lost a bunch of work because somebody fell off their bike and broke both wrists. The vertical slice was scrapped because Chris's hand-waving put out somebody's eye. Its going to happen.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Warhawk109 posted:

No way. Do you know anyone who quit smoking because they lost their job and had to cut expenses? People fund their delusions and addictions first, then their needs.

Not to mention escapism.

quote:

Even during the Great Depression, theatres did brisk business as moviegoers scrounged together some nickels and dimes to see a film and forget about their troubles – albeit fleetingly.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Warhawk109 posted:

Considering that we’re likely headed for a recession due to a combination of the virus, the trade war, hamstrung central banks, and an economy that was overheated by 3 years of cyclical fiscal policies; I’m sure that JPEG sales are going to take a hit. Even the whales are going to have a hard time justifying buying the latest space ship. But according to the funding tracker it will probably be another record year.

All of this might be enough to influence the Calders part in this mess, but that whole side of things is so opaque that it’s impossible to tell.

I’m honestly shocked that they haven’t pulled the COVID-19 card yet, it would be the perfect excuse to kick the SQ42 can down the road for at least
a few months. “Sorry guys, but our priority is keeping our employees safe, because we are world renowned good corporate citizens! Answer the Call 2021!”

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
You got to wait for the videos to cycle in. We'll get the Coronavirus videos in about 3 months.

Probably the dev that fell off the bike and broke all his hands will be true patient zero.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
All is normal, it’s buy a green ship week. So they’re doing a limerick competition

quote:

I walked from my HAB with a swagger,
To my Aurora which looked quite a tatter.
I jumped with a shout,
As the parts all fell out,
And I was killed by the entrance ladder.

quote:

There in Excel is my fleet,
This time I'm sure it's complete,
Oh look! A new concept!
It's shiny, has LTI, and goes brrrept!
I melt it all, hit purchase, and then repeat.

quote:

The freelancer's ladder of demise
The metal steps that terrorize
no chance to survive
I came out alive
and I couldn't believe my eyes

quote:

I once tried to order a ship
so the terminal sent me a blip
It pointed the way
To an 890-J
But my frames took a helluva dip

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Scruffpuff posted:

No way. Do you know anyone who quit smoking because they lost their job and had to cut expenses? People fund their delusions and addictions first, then their needs.

Hey now, I gave up smoking when I got made redundant :colbert:

Basically so I could still put gas in my stupid rally car :rice:

Wait poo poo, that means you are indeed correct :ughh:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Pixelate posted:

All is normal, it’s buy a green ship week. So they’re doing a limerick competition

There once was a miserable fraud
Who the damaged would soundly applaud
He'd appear in a flash
And escape with their cash
To fund a vacation abroad

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

He'd appear in a flash

All the fives i have to give.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Pixelate posted:

For Star Citizen I was feeling quite keen
I called the Roadmap onto my screen
To discover the date
I could start shipping freight
[Limerick tier 0 coming 2015]

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
lol the "CIG has plenty of money guys, they only spend like 25 million a year tops" crowd is back out in force

mostly because people are trying to fire sale their accounts right now

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

colonelwest posted:

I’m honestly shocked that they haven’t pulled the COVID-19 card yet, it would be the perfect excuse to kick the SQ42 can down the road for at least
a few months. “Sorry guys, but our priority is keeping our employees safe, because we are world renowned good corporate citizens! Answer the Call 2021!”

This is exactly the millstone Chris has been waiting for. He can tie it around the neck of the project, drop in the ocean of his own inadequacy, watch it disappear and claim, “We prepared for many things, like responsible developers always do, but we did not allow for this once in a lifetime black swan event. No one is sorry than I am to have to put this dream on hold, but in the best interest of the project I regrettably have to.”

Then Chris will hop on his own personal Squadron 42 and coast off upon that sea, forever telling himself and anyone who will listen it wasn’t his fault.

FIN.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

He'd appear in a flash

When I read that, I heard it in the voice of the Stanley Parable narrator.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

G0RF posted:

This is exactly the millstone Chris has been waiting for. He can tie it around the neck of the project, drop in the ocean of his own inadequacy, watch it disappear and claim, “We prepared for many things, like responsible developers always do, but we did not allow for this once in a lifetime black swan event. No one is sorry than I am to have to put this dream on hold, but in the best interest of the project I regrettably have to.”

Then Chris will hop on his own personal Squadron 42 and coast off upon that sea, forever telling himself and anyone who will listen it wasn’t his fault.

FIN.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

lol the "CIG has plenty of money guys, they only spend like 25 million a year tops" crowd is back out in force

mostly because people are trying to fire sale their accounts right now

Well according to their graph, they took in $343,689 dollars yesterday, but I may not understand "," correctly.

(I am a Derek Smart alt)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bar Citizen, now with 50% off deals on Corona!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Scruffpuff posted:

Holy poo poo, imagine a Chris Roberts TED talk. The handwaving alone would tear the roof off, and you'd have an auditorium full of people waiting for a punch line that never comes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cflCyyEA2I

This is leaked a rough draft of Chris Roberts' TED talk.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

RIP the very minimal effort they put into their videos and roadmap updates.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Oh poo poo here we go...

Got to cut back on those already bare bones YouTube shows, because there’s no possible way in the TYOL 2020 we could just use Skype to call up the devs who are staying at home.

Oh and the roadmap updates? Sorry, our 22 year old Head of Roadmap Pillar Development decided to take a last minute vacation to Italy and got quarantined.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

quote:

Due the situation surrounding COVID-19, we’ve taken extra precautions to ensure the safety of all our developers. We’re still in the process of figuring out how those precautions will impact our regularly scheduled live shows. Keep an eye out for more information concerning this week’s planned Star Citizen Live.

Until next time, we’ll see you in the ‘verse!

Molly Joseph

Associate Community Manager

Star Citizen: Due the situation surrounding COVID-19... Derek Smart was right.