Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Can Bigfoots get the Coronavirus?

Stop trying to gently caress Big Foot, drat it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lodin posted:

No.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ohio governor just closed gyms, bowling alleys, and movie theaters. Advised peeps 65+ to stay home. Extended tomorrow's voting into June.

Also said he didn't have the authority to extend voting into June, and a lawsuit would be filed tomorrow about it.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 16, 2020

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Once the death spiral is stopped by a total lockdown, aggressive testing and tracking of individuals and clusters of infections can keep things under control, at least within the capabilities of hospitals. Except for the cult South Korea has had things sorted, just need to stay vigilant until anti-virals/vaccines are developed or it goes extinct on its own (global travel makes the latter a fantasy, mind).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

greazeball posted:

Switzerland's federal government just escalated the crisis and has now taken control of the response, usurping the cantons' authority (which is a HUGE deal). All "non-essential" businesses are now closed, that's everything that's not a supermarket, bakery, pharmacy, post office, bank, gas station, convenience store, etc. Everything will stay shut down, nationwide, until APRIL NINETEENTH. They're also putting 8000 troops into service, mostly those with medical experience. They've stopped just short of full Italy-style lockdown, but that can't be far behind if people can't just voluntarily stay home even though there's nowhere to go.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-19_switzerland-declares-coronavirus-crisis-an--extraordinary--situation/45620148

To put this in perspective, this is like if Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Georgia all got together and said "holy poo poo we need a centralized response to this, give more power to the federal government NOW"

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

I feel the need. :madmax:
The need to kneed! :discourse:

Seriously. I've baked cakes and muffins before, but never bread. All this has got me wanting to stock up on bread ingredients and peanut butter so I don't starve to death before the apocalypse happens.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
There are some recipes for crock pot bread I’m gunna try out

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Schengen's closed guys

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

unpacked robinhood posted:

Dont eat the pango
Don't gently caress the pango

Thank you

I'm gonna tittyfuck the pango and you cant stop me, you coward!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My state and workplace (restaurant) haven't closed yet lol rip

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rolo posted:

How likely is a domestic flight freeze in the US?

I think it's more likely that domestic carriers keep trimming schedules to the bone until there's basically nothing left, due to demand that gets smaller as the pandemic goes on longer. The federal government probably won't ever institute a domestic flight freeze, some states will, and a bunch of carriers will be de facto closed except for certain major routes cause shareholders want to get paid still
:capitalism:

Grape posted:

China can simultaneously playing hardball on the virus, and lying out their rear end. Both of these are in the CCP's nature.

So your position is that basically freezing the entire country did nothing to suppress the exponential growth of infection, making China unique among multiple Asian countries? Do you want to elaborate?

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
im not gonna leave my house. nice try. i have disney plus and will be watching simpsons classics.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I'm a little irritated at the contractor my wife works for. Her job is 100% doable from home, but her shithead boss is one of those "It's just the flu!" fuckers, and she's still expected to go into the office until further notice.

He has 3 young children and a recently chemo'd, extremely immunocompromised wife.

guitartorch
Jan 4, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Clitch posted:

I'm a little irritated at the contractor my wife works for. Her job is 100% doable from home, but her shithead boss is one of those "It's just the flu!" fuckers, and she's still expected to go into the office until further notice.

He has 3 young children and a recently chemo'd, extremely immunocompromised wife.

cripes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JK Fresco posted:

Trump just did a thing

On Saturday, the House passed the Families First Coronavirus Response Act after negotiations with the White House. The bill, supported by President Trump and headed to the Senate, aims to provide money to most American workers stuck at home due to the coronavirus. If the bill is approved by the Senate and signed by Trump, it would grant two weeks of paid sick leave at 100 percent of the person’s normal salary, up to a $511 per day cap. It would also provide up to 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave at 67 percent of the person’s normal pay, up to a $200 per day cap.

Word is, he 'signed off' because he knows it won't get through the senate. We shall see though, and if it doesn't we shall take loving names.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Clitch posted:

This man has murdered his wife.

Okay. That was too harsh. Its manslaughter.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you're actually at home and have yeast, bread is genuinely very very hard to gently caress up. Flour, salt, yeast, and water is all you need for bread; you can add a lot of other stuff, but those four will do you.

The Jim Lahey No-Knead Bread recipe swept through the baking community, and it really is that good and that easy. I sometimes knead enough to form a gluten skin, but you don't have to. Follow these directions and you will have bread.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
well now there's a traffic jam on the interstate south of Syracuse because the idiots need their cigarettes from the reservation. It should be noted that this section of the interstate is not in a city or regularly slowed down at all.

https://www.syracuse.com/coronaviru...tml#incart_push

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

QuarkJets posted:

I think it's more likely that domestic carriers keep trimming schedules to the bone until there's basically nothing left, due to demand that gets smaller as the pandemic goes on longer. The federal government probably won't ever institute a domestic flight freeze, some states will, and a bunch of carriers will be de facto closed except for certain major routes cause shareholders want to get paid still
:capitalism:

I’m in Denver and while I’ve been cooking my own meals and not going to public places, my flight home to NC isn’t until Friday. Hence my concern.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nurge posted:

Honestly. Upmarking toilet paper is not profiteering. It's taking money from idiots. Why the gently caress does anyone care about toilet paper jesus christ. Sure if you resell hand sanitizer for a lot you should get hosed, but it's loving toilet paper. God.

Why can't it be both? They're profiteering off of idiots. It's still not cool to exploit people

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lodin posted:

I'm gonna tittyfuck the pango and you cant stop me, you coward!

SO ACCORDING TO YOU I CANT gently caress A SINGLE BIGFOOT BUT YOU CAN MOLEST ALL THE LIZARDS YOU WANT REAL COOL

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

I just got a spam text saying my bank account was locked. All I have to do is go to chase-bankunlock34 and give them all my bank account information and I'll have this fixed in no time. It's good to see chase locking accounts to prevent fraud in such frightening times... that's chase-bankunlock34 if anyone wants to pre-emptively unlock there banbk account

drat a lot of people are gonna fall for that. With the stock market so thoroughly butt hosed right now is it even profitable venture to scam someone?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

SO ACCORDING TO YOU I CANT gently caress A SINGLE BIGFOOT BUT YOU CAN MOLEST ALL THE LIZARDS YOU WANT REAL COOL

Don't skinkshame me.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

If you're actually at home and have yeast, bread is genuinely very very hard to gently caress up. Flour, salt, yeast, and water is all you need for bread; you can add a lot of other stuff, but those four will do you.

The Jim Lahey No-Knead Bread recipe swept through the baking community, and it really is that good and that easy. I sometimes knead enough to form a gluten skin, but you don't have to. Follow these directions and you will have bread.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-white-bread This is pretty good too, if you don't mind kneading, it's what I worked out how to make bread with first. Use less salt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rolo posted:

I’m in Denver and while I’ve been cooking my own meals and not going to public places, my flight home to NC isn’t until Friday. Hence my concern.

I hear that, I flew home just two days ago (Saturday)

If you're traveling to a major airport then I think it's very unlikely that you'll be stranded by the end of this week. There may be some risk with smaller airports just because the demand may not be there to keep flights going, and carriers have been steadily cutting back routes virtually everywhere so the twice-per-week flight to upper peninsula Michigan or whatever is at risk of becoming a lot less frequent. But for now there's enough demand to support most routes, tons of people are flying right now (lol we're hosed)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JK Fresco posted:

Trump just did a thing

On Saturday, the House passed the Families First Coronavirus Response Act after negotiations with the White House. The bill, supported by President Trump and headed to the Senate, aims to provide money to most American workers stuck at home due to the coronavirus. If the bill is approved by the Senate and signed by Trump, it would grant two weeks of paid sick leave at 100 percent of the person’s normal salary, up to a $511 per day cap. It would also provide up to 12 weeks of paid family and medical leave at 67 percent of the person’s normal pay, up to a $200 per day cap.

Only applies for people who work at places with under 500 people. Also, 100% is terrible for tipped positions considering that's like $200 a week.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Lodin posted:

Your aLl hosed

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

truly a millennial disease.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

RMAO millennials convinced everyone to do this thing and spread a disease they're basically immune to

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

EL BROMANCE posted:

Word is, he 'signed off' because he knows it won't get through the senate. We shall see though, and if it doesn't we shall take loving names.

It also doesn't apply to companies with 500 or more employees (so most fast food location workers are boned)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And for those without yeast, making a sourdough starter is really easy. You need flour and water to start it, and more flour to keep it fed. It's like a pet made of dough that you occasionally use to create delicious bread

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
I work for a big healthcare supply chain company. Our supply chain is fine and we're fully operational. I'll let you all know when our trucks stop running so you can freak out at the appropriate time.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Nettle Soup posted:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-white-bread This is pretty good too, if you don't mind kneading, it's what I worked out how to make bread with first. Use less salt.

Kneading bread also has the side benefit of eventually making your wrists as strong as concrete bridge pilings. When society collapses you'll effectively be One Punch Man among a sea of limp-wristed post apocalyptic raider wimps.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

Why can't it be both? They're profiteering off of idiots. It's still not cool to exploit people

It's cool to exploit people who think toilet paper is an important thing to have. I'm totally on board with that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

precision posted:

It also doesn't apply to companies with 500 or more employees (so most fast food location workers are boned)

Depends on how big the franchisee they work for is.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dick wizard posted:

I work for a big healthcare supply chain company. Our supply chain is fine and we're fully operational. I'll let you all know when our trucks stop running so you can freak out at the appropriate time.

I think worst-case scenario, there are always going to be plenty of people producing, shipping, and selling food and goods. If the government steps in and shuts down commerce, that's what will hurt the end users.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

JK Fresco posted:

Your aLl hosed

The quaint, universal greeting of eating a stranger's rear end.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

guitartorch posted:

im not gonna leave my house. nice try. i have disney plus and will be watching simpsons classics.

Not for long you won't, fucko.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/apple-could-acquire-disney-stock-drop-analyst-says-1284475

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

plus, even if you do gently caress it up a bit, as long as you don't burn the gently caress out of it it'll still be delicious, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

JK Fresco posted:

Your aLl hosed

Which way tho? I can see it being in saliva and then traveling all the way up the digestive tract against traffic to the stomach, creep around the acid and up the esophagus and into the mouth.