Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If Jake wasn't so excited to go himself he would have just been like "here, you guys decide which of you take the kids." But of course Jake wanted to go so it just took a lot for him to get a place where he'd consider watching 3 small kids of other people by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I liked the quick line from Jake in the final scene before Amy's announcement: "Wario, why are you like this!?" It was a fun callback to last week's episode (at least I think it was last week when they did that cutaway to Jake yelling "Wario cheats!" at his TV).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean he said four at the beginning

I missed the very start, it just seemed like "I'll take the kids and go with them" would have been a solution way before "let us have a boxing match"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Since Charles obviously won that fight, Jake should have taken him and Nicolaj. And he would have had an additional ticket, so he could have brought one of the girls. Terry gets to decide which one.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Taear posted:

I missed the very start, it just seemed like "I'll take the kids and go with them" would have been a solution way before "let us have a boxing match"

Have you ever watched television before

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm kind of enjoying this thing where the thread has to explain Brooklyn 99 every week. Its like a really low stakes version of a Westworld thread of something. Kind of charming and relaxing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Taear posted:

I mean yeah but I think everyone knew how the plot was going to end.

I don’t watch 99 for its B plot twists

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Next week is a Doug Judy episode, so get ready for some more twists!

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

PizzaProwler posted:

Next week is a Doug Judy episode, so get ready for some more twists!

You know I feel like it would be easier if they just arrested him at the beginning of the episode.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

hanales posted:

You know I feel like it would be easier if they just arrested him at the beginning of the episode.

They already tried that!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

hanales posted:

Have you ever watched television before

Yea, I just don't make a habit of watching lovely by the numbers sitcoms. Brooklyn 99 wasn't one and now unfortunately it is. I'm not saying "I don't understand what they did there" I'm saying "It's dumb, come on"

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
It's always been pretty by the numbers, they always get the bad guy/solve the case by the end.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's always been pretty by the numbers, they always get the bad guy/solve the case by the end.

Or in the case of Judy they get the real bad guy but doug himself escapes.

Only the Halloween episodes have anything resembling twists in them

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Taear posted:

Yea, I just don't make a habit of watching lovely by the numbers sitcoms. Brooklyn 99 wasn't one and now unfortunately it is. I'm not saying "I don't understand what they did there" I'm saying "It's dumb, come on"

It’s a by the numbers ensemble comedy. It’s just pretty self aware. It’s newsradio for the 20teens. Or cheers. Or Taxi.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

hanales posted:

It’s a by the numbers ensemble comedy. It’s just pretty self aware. It’s newsradio for the 20teens. Or cheers. Or Taxi.

Yes show has always been good but never like envelope pushing or anything.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Taear posted:

Yea, I just don't make a habit of watching lovely by the numbers sitcoms.

I would love to see what you watch so I can be as good as you. No wait, nevermind, I really don't care.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, I take it back. The "I don't understand the joke" thing is less fun if its just a way to be passive aggressively smug about hate watching.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Yes show has always been good but never like envelope pushing or anything.

Yeah. And I mean, it’s really good at it. It fleshes out the ensemble, it gives them all time to shine and breathe, and it’s very funny. But it’s not original. You can see the lines to the shows that inspired it. And that’s totally ok. I love it and look forward to every episode.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, I take it back. The "I don't understand the joke" thing is less fun if its just a way to be passive aggressively smug about hate watching.

I genuinely didn't understand the one in the episode before.

I'm just saying Brooklyn 99 is a lot more tired now. It's really not what it used to be. I'm not hate watching it like Walking Dead style, I'm just sorta...there for it at the moment.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
B99 has always been a standard sitcom with good writing, acting, and jokes. They have also addressed major issues like racism in policing, mass shootings, and sexism in a way that other shows have never done. They also treat queer individuals much more fairly and not as a stereotype. Yes, its a paint by numbers sitcom, but its also very different in how they handle these things, mainly by handling them at all.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Taear posted:

I genuinely didn't understand the one in the episode before.

I'm just saying Brooklyn 99 is a lot more tired now. It's really not what it used to be. I'm not hate watching it like Walking Dead style, I'm just sorta...there for it at the moment.

maybe you're just tired of it. I find it's fairly consistently the same level as it was at the beginning. if anything I think it dipped a bit for me a few seasons ago but now it's back to being just as good as it's ever been.

the jokes and acting are still funny imo, the plots were never anything more than standard progressions.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

swickles posted:

B99 has always been a standard sitcom with good writing, acting, and jokes. They have also addressed major issues like racism in policing, mass shootings, and sexism in a way that other shows have never done. They also treat queer individuals much more fairly and not as a stereotype. Yes, its a paint by numbers sitcom, but its also very different in how they handle these things, mainly by handling them at all.

Depends on what you consider to be paint by the numbers.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Terry choosing neither heads or tails and then destroying the quarter got me rolling.

"Fate's a bitch!"

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, that was a good gag. He's done that a few times now (Terry has also crushed a computer mouse and a magic 8-ball before), and I'm still not tired of him destroying poo poo with one hand.

edit: just remembered that he crushed a cell phone as well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

swickles posted:

It's been this, and I don't feel like it is any longer.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Taear posted:

Probably because of all the racism against Columbia House

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ishamael posted:

Probably because of all the racism against Columbia House

CD stands for Columbian Douchebag? :heritage:

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Trouble conceiving is probably the sitcom storyline I hate the most

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Taear posted:

It’s still this.

It’s a cliche sitcom but all sitcoms are.

Even Sunny in Philadelphia once the edge went away is still cliched in its own way.

Finding a non cliche sitcom is effectively impossible

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

College Rockout posted:

Trouble conceiving is probably the sitcom storyline I hate the most

Yeah. Anything baby related is the sitcom story I hate the most, but trouble conceiving is the worst of the worst.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s still this.

It’s a cliche sitcom but all sitcoms are.

Even Sunny in Philadelphia once the edge went away is still cliched in its own way.

Finding a non cliche sitcom is effectively impossible

Disagree on Sunny. Episodes are hit and miss for sure but they just had an episode two seasons ago where they used the words cocksucker, friend of the family, and human being in an honest way. Last season had like a 10 minute dance scene set in a prison so a character could tell his dad he's gay. Can't say that show has lost its edge.

Edit: Rules seem to change daily around here. Last I knew it was ok to type out words for discussion purpose as long as you weren't directing it at someone. If a mod wants to advise otherwise I'll be happy to * some poo poo out.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 16, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

Disagree on Sunny. Episodes are hit and miss for sure but they just had an episode two seasons ago where they used the words cocksucker, friend of the family, and human being in an honest way. Last season had like a 10 minute dance scene set in a prison so a character could tell his dad he's gay. Can't say that show has lost its edge.

Edit: Rules seem to change daily around here. Last I knew it was ok to type out words for discussion purpose as long as you weren't directing it at someone. If a mod wants to advise otherwise I'll be happy to * some poo poo out.

Like I said at this point that’s just expected of sunny now.

My point isn’t it’s bad or anything quite the opposite. Sitcoms just aren’t a genre known for changing things up.

Once you find your niche that’s generally where you stay.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Once you find your niche that’s generally where you stay.

I'm not sure what you expect out of TV. If a show doing new things somehow becomes its own thing then no show in existence can ever meet the criteria you've set for "changing things up".

Edit: VVV I acquit

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 17, 2020

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

I'm not sure what you expect out of TV. If a show doing new things somehow becomes its own thing then no show in existence can ever meet the criteria you've set for "changing things up".

I don’t think many shows change things up.

Nor do I think changing things up is inherently good either

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Remember when Castle changed things up in the last season?

I think I had like 4 or 5 episodes left on that and just couldn't be bothered to finish watching it.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Doug Judy's back tomorrow

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
For some reason, my local NBC affiliate is showing the 1993 movie the Firm tomorrow evening.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I think they're swingers

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Horses have butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Classic negging.