Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

UK gov has just said elderly and vulnerable groups should self isolate. My son is in the vulnerable group. How the gently caress do you isolate a scared 10 year? I can't fathom what we're supposed to do unless we isolate the whole loving family, 2 kids out of school, I'll have to speak to work and figure out what they're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The government is literally being grilled about the lack of clarity on what they're saying right now. They're saying don't go to public venues but there's no law in place and they're not stopping people, the government is just hoping that businesses will close voluntarily... I don't see them doing this unless told, why would they risk losing money?

Schools are all still open, seeing as kids are full of disease at the best of times this doesn't seem smart even if they only get it 'mildly' because like your kid, there are always exceptions.

It's a clusterfuck still.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

Stay safe goons and wash your drat hands. Stop touching your face!

I trimmed my beard to help with this. Also because I was starting to look a little too homeless but mostly so I would touch my face less.

Rhyno posted:

JUST TOUCH YOUR DICK LIKE A NORMAL GOON

I've got two hands I can multi task.

STR posted:

It's going to be a shitshow once this passes; that's when we're going to start getting all of the other stuff again. They're smart enough to slowly trickle it out, but management thinks it'll take us 2-3 months to fully recover AFTER customers return to normal spending habits.

I'm wondering if there's going to be a period of time where people are working through their giant stockpile of tp, cleaning supplies, and non perishable goods and not buying much. Maybe you'll get a bit of time to catch up.

STR posted:

I'm glad to be working for this company right now, but it's so loving weird when I walk out in the morning, past the huge line of customers waiting to get in, dirty as hell and sweaty, and people are... thanking me for keeping the shelves stocked. I don't know how to respond to people thanking me for just doing a basic job of throwing poo poo on shelves all night. People regularly thank me if I'm still in the store stocking when we open. Feels weird as hell to get thanked for just doing a basic job.

Enjoy it while it lasts I suppose. I'm sure they will forget you exist and go back to being assholes before too long.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The hospital here is restricting visitors, day and weekend passes need review, they’re discharging patients who don’t absolutely need to be here, and not taking any more patients for non essential treatments. It’s either going to get super quiet in here or they’re going to start putting infected people in every available room.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not a doomsday prepper but I cleaned out the chest freezer and plugged it back in. Any time I'm out I'm going to buy a few extras and fill that fucker up.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Canada has officially closed the borders to all foreigners EXCEPT Americans. Trade is still open, but if you're a German, Mexican or Aussie you ain't coming unless you're a diplomat.

STR posted:

Obligatory:

There is a bit of my work in that photo - I work fairly extensively with the distillery that makes BV.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Galler posted:

I'm wondering if there's going to be a period of time where people are working through their giant stockpile of tp, cleaning supplies, and non perishable goods and not buying much. Maybe you'll get a bit of time to catch up.

Enjoy it while it lasts I suppose. I'm sure they will forget you exist and go back to being assholes before too long.

We've already changed our hours from 6a-12a to 8a-8p, and the official line the company gave to the public was so that overnighters (that's me!) can actually restock uninterrupted. Until we did this, we went almost a week without facing a drat thing - the shelves looked like absolutely hell even at open. We've also closed down the meat counter, deli counter, bakery counter, and floral counter, along with sending company-wide texts to every employee enrolled in text alerts saying it's all hands on decks, even for executives. Everyone from those depts is either helping on frontend, or helping overnighters.

I love the OT (though I get OT regularly anyway - I seem to be Good Grocery Manager's first pick to do menial poo poo; fine with me, since it gives me OT, and he knows drat well I rake in more OT than anyone else in the dept). The extra exercise is good too. It just feels weird having people walk up to me and basically say "thanks for doing your job". The first time it happened, I got kinda choked up about it. I wanted to politely say I'm just doing my job, but something got stuck in my throat, so all I could do was nod.

Reddit has a local daily thread about availability at local grocery stores - I've started giving updates just before open about stock levels at my store, and people keep buying me gold for it. Dude, I'm taking 5 minutes out of my day to let you know that yes, my store has X and Y, but that every other store in the region also got it, since we're all served by the same warehouses, and every store is getting said items trickled out at the same time. And I'm taking a whopping 5 minutes out of my day to simply pass along what I see at work. Aside from modified business hours and a lot more incoming stock, it's been business as usual.

I fully expect business to go flat for awhile once this passes; like you said, people have to work through what they have.

I may also be on the verge of a nervous breakdown from all of this.. 3-4 hours of sleep a night, working 12-14 hour shifts, etc).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 16, 2020

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Since Thursday a pair of robins have worked out how to get into my garage by squeezing through the top of the up and over door and are determined to build a nest on a shelf above my workbench. I've now cleaned it out twice.

They really want to set up home in there. If I work out there with the door open I get defiantly tweeted at and I walked in the side door earlier and they were both in there and were happy to fly around me and shout while i hoovered stuff up again rather than instantly loving off.

Tomorrow is going to be a day for hanging CDs on some string above the door and also leaving music playing out there 24/7!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Make them a house!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

taqueso posted:

Make them a house!

hmm. good idea! I think I have an old broken birdbox in the shed. I'll fix it in the morning and see if I can fix it somewhere nearby for them!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

taqueso posted:

Make them a house!

If you are in Boston don't do this as they just halted all non emergency construction.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The normally 2-hour wait emergency room here is completely empty. They have a lady in hazmat gear at the door and it seems that’s enough to scare people away.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Seems like an appropriate time for this:

https://twitter.com/ProBirdRights/status/1238931210610434048

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Greek Orthodox here is saying that the POWAAA OF CHRIST will prevent praishioners from getting Boomer Remover.

Hey dickheads, that's not how it works. Your prayers and rituals dont stop viruses. loving hell sure believe and all that but dont blind yourself to the reality of disease here

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-14/church-religious-groups-say-coronavirus-cannot-infect-them/12055476

God helps those who help themselves.
It doesn't always have to be a miracle, you fucks. Help God out by not being an idiot. Geeze, even the Mormons are canceling services. God will understand, pretty sure.

LloydDobler posted:

My first engineering mentor was a brilliant engineer, and also a very devout christian. He was a missionary pilot for several years in his earlier life, flying missionaries around South America. He tells a great story on this subject:

As he was watching a group load a plane with all their luggage and cargo, he could tell that it was becoming overloaded. He pointed it out and started removing the least necessary things. "Wait, just a minute Dave" says the head missionary. "Let's pray for a safe flight". He agrees, they stop and pray. And as soon as they said "Amen" he continued unloading the plane until it was safe. The head missionary was confused, and Dave explained that God gave us the laws of physics and the knowledge and judgment to work within them. You don't just get to pray for a miracle any time you want one.

Basically, we should treat knowledge as a gift from God, which includes medicine. Ignoring it shows a lack of faith, not an abundance of it.

Also like the joke about the guy in a flood. The sheriff shows up in a 4x4, "hey man, a flood's coming!" "No thanks, God will save me." The waters rise and he goes to his second floor. A crew comes by in a boat. "Hey man, get in, it's going to get worse". "No thanks, God will save me". The waters rise even more, and he climbs on to his roof. A helicopter arrives and lowers a rope. "Grab on, the waters are still rising!" "No thanks, God will save me!"

The man drowns, and standing before God he says "God, why didn't you save me?" And God says "I sent a car, a boat, and even a helicopter, what the gently caress else was I supposed to do?"

That's a much nicer way to put it than I managed.

My company is now WFH, but... I'm not. I'm a computer toucher, and actually have to physically touch computers, so.
I don't really want to WFH - I'm lazy and ineffective enough at work, much less left on my own at home.
Highways were pretty noice this morning, and there's only about 15-20 people on my floor. I haven't checked the other floors. We're 5 floors, around 400 people, usually.

slidebite posted:

Motherfucking chiropractors are going around saying they can "BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM AND STOP CORONAVIRUS"

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/ch...rom-coronavirus

Oh, goddamit.
poo poo like that makes me livid. It's really hard for me to convince people my sister is a "real" doctor, when a number of her profession are no better than the crystal and essential oil hawkers.

The Prong Song posted:

On a similar note. Tried to get some anhydrous isopropyl alcohol to clean cat piss out of keyboard electronics - everywhere's completely sold out. Morons buying it because lower-purity and hydrous isopropyl alcohol is sold out, and it's sold out because double-morons are buying it to make homemade hand sanitizer. JUST USE SOAP, PEOPLE!

Go do what a friend of mine did and get store-brand 190-proof "Neutral Spirits" at your local liquor store.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Automotive illustrator has uploaded some line drawings for any car-obsessed kids (big or small) to colour in...

https://twitter.com/thefinaltenth/status/1238745007575703552?s=20

Not gonna lie, I downloaded it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

The guys doing night fill at the supermarket last night and I were having a good laugh at just how many people who panic bought all the flour and got limits imposed on its purchase actually know how to bake, let alone bake bread, considering all the bread flour bags were still there!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just made some banana bread :)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I wonder if people panic bought splash-less bleach.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Darchangel posted:

My company is now WFH, but... I'm not. I'm a computer toucher, and actually have to physically touch computers, so.
I don't really want to WFH - I'm lazy and ineffective enough at work, much less left on my own at home.
Highways were pretty noice this morning, and there's only about 15-20 people on my floor. I haven't checked the other floors. We're 5 floors, around 400 people, usually.

i doubt anyone is gonna give a poo poo about your productivity in this global viral pandemic

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

STR I think people recognize that you are literally busting balls every day; and finding competent team members that will do that day after day is difficult. You are making their lives better by allowing them to find necessities and other items to give them peace from anxiety. So you are doing good things and making a difference.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i doubt anyone is gonna give a poo poo about your productivity in this global viral pandemic
... and if they do, they're assholes.

I thought it was pretty funny that some HR nerd at my company made sure that we all signed documents saying that this "doesn't establish precedent for authorization to work remotely in the future", since "circumstances are extraordinary". edit: "this" being the "everybody work from home because oh god we're all going to die" letter which contained the above also.

Like, I get why, but also, god, eat a dick. HR never makes the world a better place, and I can't imagine the lack of soul that must be required to work a lengthy career in that field.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 16, 2020

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I don't remember where I found it, but this quote sums up HR pretty good IMO.

quote:

HR is a weird beast. As a concept as a whole it's a function which recruits really nice, personnable people and then puts them in the bottom management position that's responsible for inflicting the most dehumanizing parts of working under modern capitalism. The regular HR drones sincerely think that they're helping the workers. They're basically kapos who upper management has convinced, "no these are actually showers;" "no everyone is crying because they're very happy to be here."

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

SF and surrounding counties are locked down, only 'essential' stores to remain open. Cool.

Also Idris Elba has it and if we lose the universe's sexiest human that'll be too much, man.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Big Taint posted:

SF and surrounding counties are locked down, only 'essential' stores to remain open. Cool.

Also Idris Elba has it and if we lose the universe's sexiest human that'll be too much, man.

Him, Sophie Trudeau and fluis Hamilton were all at the same event and now two of them have it

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Resident computer touchers, what could be causing this issue I'm having? My desktop PC suddenly gave me a black screen of death one day, and then windows refused to boot after that. So, I formatted my windows partition and reinstalled it, and as I was reinstalling basic stuff like browsers it gave me another black screen of death and then refused to boot windows again. Reinstalling again, I let Windows run for an hour or so without touching anything and it ran fine. As soon as I begin downloading and installing stuff, it happens again. I have Windows installed on a really old 1st gen SSD, so I figured that was probably shot and corrupting stuff, so I ordered a new one and installed it, but I still have the same problem. Anyone come across something like this before?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grakkus posted:

Resident computer touchers, what could be causing this issue I'm having? My desktop PC suddenly gave me a black screen of death one day, and then windows refused to boot after that. So, I formatted my windows partition and reinstalled it, and as I was reinstalling basic stuff like browsers it gave me another black screen of death and then refused to boot windows again. Reinstalling again, I let Windows run for an hour or so without touching anything and it ran fine. As soon as I begin downloading and installing stuff, it happens again. I have Windows installed on a really old 1st gen SSD, so I figured that was probably shot and corrupting stuff, so I ordered a new one and installed it, but I still have the same problem. Anyone come across something like this before?

My first guess would be memory. Boot it with only one stick and see how it goes. If it's OK, swap it for another and keep going until it fails and then you'll know which one is bad.

Another possibility is the power supply. If it can't supply constant voltages, it will cause a crash.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Deteriorata posted:

My first guess would be memory. Boot it with only one stick and see how it goes. If it's OK, swap it for another and keep going until it fails and then you'll know which one is bad.

Another possibility is the power supply. If it can't supply constant voltages, it will cause a crash.

I agree with the above. If it is RAM, you can use MemTest86+ and see if it reports errors (let it go for a few hours). You might be able to fix it just by reseating the RAM. Remember to reinstall windows again once you fix it :smith:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Automotive illustrator has uploaded some line drawings for any car-obsessed kids (big or small) to colour in...

https://twitter.com/thefinaltenth/status/1238745007575703552?s=20

Thanks for sharing this, I just printed some out for my boys and they are furiously scribbling

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Ahahaha. So the UK government has advised people to avoid going into work, and work from home instead, and yeah, that's not going to be something that's workable for me, though at least many of my friends are able to do so.

I feel sorry for the one who works in a customer-facing council position though. Now she gets to be exposed to possibly infectious poo poo human beings instead of just the usual kind.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Tremek posted:

Thanks for sharing this, I just printed some out for my boys and they are furiously scribbling

Post the results! :3:

InitialDave posted:

Ahahaha. So the UK government has advised people to avoid going into work, and work from home instead, and yeah, that's not going to be something that's workable for me, though at least many of my friends are able to do so.

So apparently because he's not told businesses to shut down explicitly they won't be able to close and then claim losses with insurers?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I don't remember where I found it, but this quote sums up HR pretty good IMO.

Always remember that HR exists to protect the interests of the company from the employees. Any incidental assistance they provide the employees in the process is simply camouflage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So apparently because he's not told businesses to shut down explicitly they won't be able to close and then claim losses with insurers?
You mean exactly what he's done with clubs, pubs, restaurants, hotels, events etc?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Did you know The Wraith is free on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJK9334fM0

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Oh good because it's no longer free on Amazon Prime.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Oh good because it's no longer free on Amazon Prime.

Neither is a lot of poo poo....All of a sudden halfway through a TV series I gotta start paying for it? gently caress off amazon.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Tomorrow I get to to pore over a list of ~50 staff members in purely public relations roles, and figure out what to do with them in a closed workplace so that the ones who really need it/don't have the vac or sick time to take a few weeks off can continue receiving a paycheck. Oh yeah also a bunch of them are elderly and the extended forecast is rainy and cold.

but tonight, scotch :shepicide:

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I just made some banana bread :)

I was stress cooking this weekend and made bagels. They turned out delicious and crispy on the outside and just the right sorta dense, chewy inside. They were a little bit flat, but otherwise perfect.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

toplitzin posted:

Did you know The Wraith is free on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cJK9334fM0

Not in Canada :(

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
As we go into serious self-isolation mode here in Los Angeles, I haven't been hoarding but I've been stocking up.

My Critical Rations Chart:
Beers: 81
Vodkas: 1.5 handles
Buzzballs (choctease): 6
Marijuanas: about half an oz of flower, about a gram of a vape pen, assorted edibles
Milk: 3 gallons
Toilet paper: 15 "Double" rolls
Kodi: Yes
Bidet: No
Instant pot: Yes
Food: Lots
401k: Down by a lmao amount
President: A fucktard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My Toto seat from Home Depot arrived today, hoping this drastically extends the life of my somewhat limited TP supply. I wanted one ever since going to Japan, this seemed like as good a reason as any. This is the entry level seat from Toto, but you can spend A LOT more on a seat if you're inspired.