Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

HopperUK posted:

Back from pharmacy shift! Not bad. No thermometers, sanitizer, liquid soap. But so far medicine supply is okay. Paracetamol stocks a bit low.

What's the story about paracetamol and this virus? I've heard about not taking ibuprofen or aspirin or other non-inflammatories and also steroids. But is paracetamol ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Julio Cruz posted:

99% sure I don't have the dreaded covid because I have no fever and hardly a cough but I do have the mother of all sore throats and finding paracetamol is really loving difficult right now

Get the lidocaine sprays instead they're way more effective

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fortunately my friend is taking it deadly serious and is going into isolation for the forseeable future, and has been basically for a while too.

It's going to suck not being able to see her though. But everyone around her is taking it seriously too, food on the doorstep etc, no contact.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Do I even go into work tomorrow? I feel like I know what gonna happen and I'd rather not keep going in to give a dying system a month more of sustenance while risking the health of myself and those I love. But then I wont have money and the benefits system might collapse... but is money going to matter in the long run through this? Aaaaaaaaa....

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

peanut- posted:

Meanwhile if you watch the news and the Prime Minister you're getting "think about avoiding crowded areas for a while. Maybe don't go to the theatre. But we're not actually going to order you not to, just think about not doing it."

She did actually give the "well, nobody's telling us to stop" reason, so there's probably something in that. It's this deep-seated complacency that I guess has been encouraged by how coddled by the government that generation has been.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Paracetamol isn't an anti-inflammatory, it's fine to take. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, there's some evidence it might not be good to take.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the story about paracetamol and this virus? I've heard about not taking ibuprofen or aspirin or other non-inflammatories and also steroids. But is paracetamol ok?
there's a more involved video being worked on but in the meantime:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWo5lmWuZI

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Bardeh posted:

Paracetamol isn't an anti-inflammatory, it's fine to take. Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory, there's some evidence it might not be good to take.

Yeah, sorry. For some reason I had it in my head as an anti-inflammatory.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There seems to be a general idea that ibuprofen might bad for respiratory infections
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/16/health-experts-criticise-nhs-advice-to-take-ibuprofen-for-covid-19

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So do I stop taking the anti-inflammatory I've been prescribed for colitis, and face the consequences of having no toilet paper? :confused:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I also don't think what I have counts as "respiratory" cause breathing is fine, it's just swallowing which hurts

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

So do I stop taking the anti-inflammatory I've been prescribed for colitis, and face the consequences of having no toilet paper? :confused:

Time to get in the shower

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Is the five week wait still in force for new Universal Credit claims? :/

Surely going to be record numbers signing on shortly

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Julio Cruz posted:

I also don't think what I have counts as "respiratory" cause breathing is fine, it's just swallowing which hurts

Better hope you don't get me as a porter is all I can say.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

I have heard that a killer sore throat is an early sign. If you get a 'tight' throat in the next few days then that's a pretty sure sign. If you don't, then either you got off lightly or you got something else.

I'm still wondering if I've had it already or not... I had a sore throat for a while recently :/

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

ThomasPaine posted:

My 60 odd year old mum is usually a total hypochondriac clean freak with severe anxiety issues but she quite plainly doesn't understand how serious this is and I had to very firmly tell her going to the gym was an awful idea. I'm grateful to have parents who do at least seem to listen to me now occasionally and they're now I hope going to limit their time outside. While there's certainly a lot of of traditional stubbornness amongst that generation, it's being made exponentially worse by a completely irresponsible government policy implicitly downplaying the risks. If you don't use social media or forums like this etc and only rely on traditional newspaper/tv bulletins, you're absolutely hosed. I didn't think I could get more angry at these scumbags, but it turns out I was wrong. I've never seen such a brazen disregard for human life. Of course that has always been there, but they're not even bothering with the mask with this. There are going to be a lot of people missing loved ones - particularly grandparents and parents - next Christmas, and I will never forgive them for it. Tories do not need to be beaten in debate and won over, they need to be physically stopped before they kill every single one of us and see the world burn.

e: Sorry, I'm just extremely angry and anxious and so loving bored

My over 60 dad is a doctor and will be right on the frontlines of this, he doesn't really have a choice to try and avoid coming into contact with this. I just hope the hospital won't run out of appellate appropriate ppe. It just makes the government's lack of action to slow the number of cases more worrying for me. Makes me anxious they will run out off beds and then if/when he gets it what'll happen?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've had a light sore through combined with a slightly constricted breathing but it's extremely mild so I assume I just scratched it or something.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

Heard nothing to suggest otherwise. Also haven't heard about JobCentre Pluses closing down which seems unwise but entirely on brand with the cruelty you expect from Tories

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ebola Dog posted:

My over 60 dad is a doctor and will be right on the frontlines of this, he doesn't really have a choice to try and avoid coming into contact with this. I just hope the hospital won't run out of appellate appropriate ppe. It just makes the government's lack of action to slow the number of cases more worrying for me. Makes me anxious they will run out off beds and then if/when he gets it what'll happen?

If they're that desperate I suspect they'll give him preferential treatment on the basis that he'll save a lot more lives if he pulls through.

If working in the health service doesn't guarantee you better care then somethings very wrong imo.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

OwlFancier posted:

If they're that desperate I suspect they'll give him preferential treatment on the basis that he'll save a lot more lives if he pulls through.

If working in the health service doesn't guarantee you better care then somethings very wrong imo.

They run out of beds in a normal flu season, so it's when, not if they run out of beds for covid.

That is also what I am hoping, but that also makes me feel bad because if that happened then someone else will be suffering for it. I can only hope it doesn't come to that.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I've had a light sore through combined with a slightly constricted breathing but it's extremely mild so I assume I just scratched it or something.

Me too. Maybe we’re thinking ourselves I’ll.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm drunk because me and my friends are having a party

A teleconference party

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My mental health has improved dramatically but I'm not sure if it's because im.sort of drunk or just rewatching the expanse and not reading coronavirus news

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

... then somethings very wrong imo.

Lol. Are you ill? This is your normal starting point.

Vrih
Apr 4, 2004
:)

Bardeh posted:

No they aren't.

People, if you're going to spout facts that you half-remember, or aren't certain of...could you check first?

The actual advice was that anti-inflammatories like Ibuprofen are possibly bad, not paracetamol, but that if Ibuprofen is all you have and your fever is raging, it's probably better to take one than suffer.

Idiot.

When the French report about ibuprofen came out there were also suggestions from doctors that they don't know that paracetamol is definitely safe and there was limited evidence that it may have contributed to some cases worsening. That being said it's still safer and more recommended than ibuprofen.

So, maybe be less of a twat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Mum and dad are both pretty much self-isolating already, which is good, just going out to pick up essentials/ go into the wilderness for mum to walk round.

Mum's a bit ill at the moment, not physically but mentally, so they don't go anywhere crowded, usually just to some woodland where she can have a good old shout and a walk.

I am also purchasing a microphone and a webcam so that I can talk to folk/ see folk if I do get ill.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

My mental health has improved dramatically but I'm not sure if it's because im.sort of drunk or just rewatching the expanse and not reading coronavirus news

I've gone all in on the Doomsday Economics thread and my mood is very good, recommend it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jose posted:

God can you imagine how good Belter's would be with coronavirus? All merrily isolating themselves in different compartments/spaceships, shooting any well walla who tries to break quarantine. Na beltalowda gonya stockpile toilet paper.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I've gone all in on the Doomsday Economics thread and my mood is very good, recommend it

nothing cheers me up like seeing the Dow Jones fall off a cliff repeatedly

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Vrih posted:

Idiot.

When the French report about ibuprofen came out there were also suggestions from doctors that they don't know that paracetamol is definitely safe and there was limited evidence that it may have contributed to some cases worsening. That being said it's still safer and more recommended than ibuprofen.

So, maybe be less of a twat.

Was a fair point about accidental misinformation, I feel. Certainly no need to be insulting

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

forkboy84 posted:

We are kind of stuffed, aren't we?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

nothing cheers me up like seeing the Dow Jones fall off a cliff repeatedly

I'm not cheered by it. For the rich it's just Number Go Down but ultimately the reason it's fallen is that over the next few months hundreds of thousands, or millions, of people will lose their jobs as businesses collapse from lack of demand.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Nah I think I need a break from the news for a bit but also I can't help myself

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Heard nothing to suggest otherwise. Also haven't heard about JobCentre Pluses closing down which seems unwise but entirely on brand with the cruelty you expect from Tories

As far as I know all public facing Civil Service facilities are still open and WFH is not authorised en masse. There are about 2000 people working in my building, most of whom could WFH but we're all still coming in and the public facing office is still open.

Only big change is asking anyone who comes in if they've been to Italy or China in the last two months, which seems a little redundant at this point.

Also someone bought in antibacterial hand wash from home and put it in all the toilets, leading to one person having a violent allergic reaction...

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Public face £1,000 fine or custody for refusing coronavirus tests and quarantine

quote:

People aged over 70 face up to four months in self-isolation, and the public risk being taken into custody or being given a £1,000 fine if they refuse to be tested or quarantined for suspected coronavirus.

The emergency powers – expected to be announced this week – allow police in England and Wales to use "reasonable force" to detain people who are at risk of infecting others.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus) Regulations 2020, published on the Government's website, say that those suspected of having the disease can be held for up to 14 days in a secure hospital or other suitable location.

If they abscond, they can be taken into custody before being returned to detention or isolation.

Failing to comply is a criminal offence punishable on summary conviction by a level three fine of up to £1,000. Not paying the fine could also lead to imprisonment.

The new regulations also say that those suspected of being infected must consent to having their throat and nose swabbed or giving a blood sample. They must also disclose their travel history and people they have been in contact with, and could be fined for providing false information.

The over-70s were told they would be asked to self-isolate to protect them from the peak of the epidemic as the Covid-19 death toll in the UK reached 35 and the rate of people testing positive rose.

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary, warned that Britain could follow France and shut down restaurants and bars, leaving only food shops and pharmacies open.

Amid growing pressure on the NHS, Mr Hancock said hotels could be turned into hospitals and operating theatres could be used as wards.

From Monday, Boris Johnson and senior ministers will hold daily press conferences on the coronavirus pandemic, supported by scientific and medical experts including the chief medical officer and the chief scientific adviser.

The press conferences form part of the Government's commitment to clarity and transparency in order to ensure that British people are fully informed about the steps they can take to protect themselves and others.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "The Prime Minister and this Government are committed to keeping the public informed every step of the way about what we're doing to fight the spread of coronavirus, when we're doing it and why we're doing it.

"At all times, we will be led by science to bring forward the right responses at the right time to this global pandemic."

On Monday, the Prime Minister will chair a meeting of the Cobra emergency committee, which is expected to discuss plans around shielding elderly and vulnerable people, household isolation and mass gatherings.

Whitehall sources have already indicated that large events could be banned from next weekend, while Scotland is bringing in restrictions on gatherings of more than 500 people from Monday.

Other measures, including school closures, are also being considered as an option to combat the spread of the virus.

Mr Hancock said he hoped the public would be sensible so that the police would not have to use the new powers, which will remain in force for two years. Full details are expected to be announced on Tuesday.

"We are going to take the powers to make sure that we can quarantine people if they are a risk to public health, yes, and that's important," he told the BBC. "I doubt that actually we will need to use it much, because people have been very responsible."

The Department of Health said on Sunday that 14 more patients had died in England after testing positive for Covid-19, following the 10 deaths announced on Saturday.

The number of people being confirmed as having the virus is also on the rise. At the start of last week, 65 people out of 2,053 tested were found to have the virus (3.2 per cent), but that has since risen to 232 out of 2,533 (9.2 per cent).

Mr Hancock, who said the self-isolation measures would be enacted in the coming weeks, admitted it was a "very big ask", adding that the steps were"very, very significant and they will disrupt the ordinary lives of almost everybody in the country". He added: "Our generation has never been tested like this."

However, some consultants criticised the move, claiming that an arbitrary benchmark of over 70 would mean healthy people will be expected to self-isolated, while more vulnerable younger people could be left at risk.

Prof Karol Skiora, a private oncologist and dean at the University of Buckingham, said: "It's a big mistake to isolate the over-70s. Sorry, Matt Hancock, your advisers are wrong. Trust me, a healthy 71-year-old like me has much less risk of needing ventilation than an obese 50-year-old smoker. It's got to be a choice, not an edict. We don't want social isolation."

Jeane Freeman, Mr Hancock's counterpart in Scotland, said the Scottish Government was not planning on isolating the elderly but would instead be "asking them to reduce social contact".

"We don't want people who are elderly to be stuck in their homes alone, not contacting anyone, with their families not able to be in touch with them and to help them," she said. "What we're saying to them is reduce your contact."

However, many scientists said the Government was right to be firm because the elderly were the most at risk.

Paul Hunter, a professor in medicine at the University of East Anglia, said: "This is a very big step, but one which I consider to be absolutely the right thing to do.

"We know that the chance of someone dying if they get the infection is higher in older people and increases steeply over age 70."

Mr Johnson will on Monday take part in a conference call with G7 leaders to discuss the international response to the health crisis.

The Prime Minister will call for the other countries to support the World Health Organisation response, as well as provide funding and expertise for research that can ensure rapid progress to develop a vaccine, and mitigate economic impacts.

It follows his calls over the past few days with Donald Trump, the US president, German chancellor Angela Merkel, Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe, Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte and Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.

The Prime Minister will also call for British manufacturers to join a "national effort" to produce equipment for the NHS.

Engineers have been asked to draw up plans to quickly produce more ventilators in the UK amid concerns that critical care facilities will come under intense pressure as the Covid-19 crisis grows.

Negotiations are also taking place with private health firms about access to their hospital beds.

Sir Simon Stevens, the NHS chief executive, said: "We need every part of society and every industry to ask what they can do to help the effort."
Did this get posted and I missed it? :stare:

Suddenly get the feeling that a lot of particular groups are going to be heavily suspected of having coronavirus in the near future.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

crispix posted:

Surely going to be record numbers signing on shortly

I went through process of signing up tonight, got to the last stage and it now says 'Sorry, the service is unavailable' :lol:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

Nah I think I need a break from the news for a bit but also I can't help myself

Did you fit your bidet thing yet?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did you fit your bidet thing yet?

No it requires breaking the toilet seat and I haven't bought a new one yet

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

stev posted:

No. Presuming they are tablets, they'll be delayed release anti inflammatories which only really break down in your lower plumbing, so the concentration in the rest of your body will be very low. If it's the squirty up the bum stuff then even more so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Public face £1,000 fine or custody for refusing coronavirus tests and quarantine
Did this get posted and I missed it? :stare:

Suddenly get the feeling that a lot of particular groups are going to be heavily suspected of having coronavirus in the near future.

Lots of dodgy stuff on there but lol at the oncologist. I think he and a lot of people don't get that the 70+ quarantine is to stop hospitals being full of dying olds at all time. It's not to protect them, it's to protect the health system.