Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Excuse the double-post, but I found a paper on A Study of SSD Reliability in Large Scale Enterprise Storage Deployments that I think might be interesting because unlike previous studies, it also looks at RAID. The presentation slides are also available if you want the highlights.
There'll also eventually be a presentation (USENIX FAST'20 took place in late-September), but those tend to lag behind a month or two, because of processing/editing.
And since it's NetApp, FreeBSD is involved somewhere in the stack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well, as I mentioned earlier, Usenet is my backup.

I'm mainly just trying to strike a balance in the case of failure between having to download 30 TB and money/time spent on a local copy of the data.

I've already got the USB drives pre-shucking, so the leading plan right now is that I'm going to copy the data to the drives as-is and hope none of them dies. Then I'll make some new smaller pools out of the disks in the existing pool.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

D. Ebdrup posted:

Despite devops screaming into the void about all their nonsense, there is a difference between prototype and production environments.

no, you see, *everyone* is a canary

H2SO4 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 16, 2020

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Well, as I mentioned earlier, Usenet is my backup.

I'm mainly just trying to strike a balance in the case of failure between having to download 30 TB and money/time spent on a local copy of the data.

I've already got the USB drives pre-shucking, so the leading plan right now is that I'm going to copy the data to the drives as-is and hope none of them dies. Then I'll make some new smaller pools out of the disks in the existing pool.

I'd do it as the individual drive method instead of trying to treat all the USB devices as a pool, especially if your worst case is queuing up a bunch of poo poo in radarr.

Also strongly recommend doing a dump of ls /tank/movies or whatever to some safe place so you know what was in the pool if this all shits the bed.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also strongly recommend doing a dump of ls /tank/movies or whatever to some safe place so you know what was in the pool if this all shits the bed.

Excellent idea.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

H2SO4 posted:

no, you see, *everyone* is a canary
Mods? MODS!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

D. Ebdrup posted:

Mods? MODS!

you'll float too

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Thermopyle posted:

Excellent idea.

Archive and properly back up the actual NZB files used to get all your stuff too. That will make recovery extra easy, and if you compress NZBs they should take barely any space at all

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

you'll float too
I'm a recovering BOFH and a dyed in the wool system- and network-operator.
You'll never take me alive! :black101:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

ILikeVoltron posted:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz
Supermicro X10DRi/X10DRI-T

x10dri-t buddies :wassup:
yes I know I need more ram but I'm only running 1 CPU and dense DIMMs are expensive.

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
14TB easystores are $200 again.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, sold out by the time I saw this.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I was going to buy 2 :sigh:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

I was going to buy 2 :sigh:

Fuckin :same:

Dammit. Although it's probably a good thing. :sigh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crunchy Black posted:

yes I know I need more ram but I'm only running 1 CPU and dense DIMMs are expensive.

Anybody upgraded to the new not-FreeNAS yet?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Crunchy Black posted:

Fun fact: the x10dri/x10sri motherboards are one of the few my work has found to support pcie hotplug! Windows doesn’t really support it but linux does. So if you want to yank out your u.2 nvme drives go for it :haw:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
It really is one of the best motherboard families ever designed. Incredibly resilient and robust featureset. About the only way it could be better is if the onboard 10G wasn't copper but that probably would've put it at over 550 street price when it was new.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

priznat posted:

Fun fact: the x10dri/x10sri motherboards are one of the few my work has found to support pcie hotplug! Windows doesn’t really support it but linux does. So if you want to yank out your u.2 nvme drives go for it :haw:
PCI-ex hotplug is supported fine in FreeBSD, it's what underpins the use of docks for ThinkPad which I use - so as far as I'm aware it also works for Windows and Linux.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

PCI-ex hotplug is supported fine in FreeBSD, it's what underpins the use of docks for ThinkPad which I use - so as far as I'm aware it also works for Windows and Linux.

It can work with windows too but requires the drive vendors to provide a driver for it, apart from intel none of the other ones have that (so far). With the whitebox driver it will bsod (with server 2016 anyway 2019 might be better)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I see $179 on those 14TBs with a business account, too. Insane.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hit the 50% usage point on my 18TB Unraid box (4x 6GB HGST drives) on the weekend, time to start think bout adding on! :haw:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

priznat posted:

It can work with windows too but requires the drive vendors to provide a driver for it, apart from intel none of the other ones have that (so far). With the whitebox driver it will bsod (with server 2016 anyway 2019 might be better)

Yeah my XPS 13 does it in Win10 (9365, I think?)

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

How's the quality of the 14tb WD white labels compared to say, the HGST Ultrastars? I've got 4x8TB of those right now (in a DS918+) but am down to about 5TB free and starting to sweat.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

CommieGIR posted:

Anybody upgraded to the new not-FreeNAS yet?

Reminds me of the first few years of fancy XBMC skins or worse... PowerBI

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Constellation I posted:

Reminds me of the first few years of fancy XBMC skins or worse... PowerBI

Yeah, they've got some work to do on it. Like, AFAIK, there's no way to hide any of those panels, so you'll always get a big 'ol red mark for any network ports you have that aren't up, which is obnoxious on board with 4 ports that you only need 1 of.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yeah, they've got some work to do on it. Like, AFAIK, there's no way to hide any of those panels, so you'll always get a big 'ol red mark for any network ports you have that aren't up, which is obnoxious on board with 4 ports that you only need 1 of.
ifconfig <interface> down?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

ifconfig <interface> down?

It's already down (no PHY connection)--setting it to down with ifconfig doesn't do anything here, unfortunately. FreeNAS also won't let you straight up delete a physical interface, it seems. Maybe there's another way to do it, but I've yet to find one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

It's already down (no PHY connection)--setting it to down with ifconfig doesn't do anything here, unfortunately. FreeNAS also won't let you straight up delete a physical interface, it seems. Maybe there's another way to do it, but I've yet to find one.
Oh, I was assuming they detected based on link state, which makes way more sense than checking if the interface has been explicitly set to up or down.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Yeah, I tried a couple different ways, it just clutters the whole thing with NICs that are unplugged, and doesn't rank them in the display by "In Use"

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Indeed. Overall it's still an improvement over the 9.x dashboard, but there's a lot of room for improvement, still. Same with reporting, which while much prettier and all, still doesn't have a way (again, as far as I've found) to enable auto-refresh/update, so you can't actually watch disk usage or whatever progress easily.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Crunchy Black posted:

I just upgraded to 128 gigs and it feels sweeeeeet

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Folks if I'm not really looking to tinker is there any benefit to doing a homebuild vs a prebuilt NAS? I've had a NFS set up that does what I want well enough, but plugging USB drives into this old laptop server only goes so far. It'd be nice to get a "proper" solution set up that would be a bit easier to manage than my current solution if for not other reason to to get Mrs. Burd to back up her stuff to it so I don't have to deal with it.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Warbird posted:

Folks if I'm not really looking to tinker is there any benefit to doing a homebuild vs a prebuilt NAS? I've had a NFS set up that does what I want well enough, but plugging USB drives into this old laptop server only goes so far. It'd be nice to get a "proper" solution set up that would be a bit easier to manage than my current solution if for not other reason to to get Mrs. Burd to back up her stuff to it so I don't have to deal with it.

DIY is cheaper, more powerful, and more feature-filled, at the obvious expense of your own time and effort. Free/TrueNAS, Unraid, etc., all have really dropped the bar for entry in terms of the software side of things--you can easily be up and running in 30 minutes. That said, you still would have to select, purchase, and assemble the hardware, and none of the software offerings are quite as slick as what you'll find on Synology (though Xpenology comes real close). DIY also has the future advantage of being able to support arbitrary numbers of drives; pre-mades you're locked into however may bays it has, with the only other option being expensive disk-rack expanders. But pre-mades are also tiny little boxes; it's very hard to get a DIY box down anywhere near that small.

Basically if you value 4-5hrs of your time more than the few hundred dollar price difference, go with a pre-made. If you want the best performance and lowest price, go DIY.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Does Free/True/etc ect handle the networking end of things well? I'm totally down to slap some stuff together, but things tend to get wild for troubleshooting if one thing goes sideways. If I can throw some drives in a setup and just get a GUI over IP to do everydamnthingelse then I don't mind doing a self build.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Warbird posted:

If you want a high WAF and she runs a Mac you can do direct time machine backups to a synology. You can get that going on diy too but that is one thing that you get out of the box. Storage management is something you are either passionate about or not in my opinion. You can do all the server stuff regardless of how you handle persistent storage.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Warbird posted:

Does Free/True/etc ect handle the networking end of things well? I'm totally down to slap some stuff together, but things tend to get wild for troubleshooting if one thing goes sideways. If I can throw some drives in a setup and just get a GUI over IP to do everydamnthingelse then I don't mind doing a self build.

True/FreeNAS are basically exclusively GUI-over-IP. I mean, there's a console if you should need it, but it's not the recommended way of doing anything. Networking is pretty stupid simple with it, unless you want to start playing with multiple NICs, in which case the "only one can have DHCP enabled" is annoying, but manageable with some foresight. If it's just one NIC you're planning on using then you can't really get much simpler: plug in and let it figure it out, then load up whatever IP it pulls in your browser of choice and go from there.

The big limitation to *NAS is also generally seen as its biggest strength: ZFS. Upsides: super reliable, pretty fast, probably the most "durable" storage solution out there, especially when backed by ECC RAM. Downside: you can't add single drives to it later--if you have a 3-drive array now and want to expand to a 4-drive array later, you're SOL and stuck trying to life-boat the data somewhere else while you upgrade. Synology/QNAP (and Xpenology for the DIY option) generally don't have that limitation, but their backing storage solution also isn't as robust. So that's something to consider.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If you want to slowly expand a zfs pool over time you can do it with striped mirrors (like raid10). Start with two drives, then add two more later, and so on. Downside is your capacity is only 50% at all times, but you get better performance and more flexibility in exchange. You can even use different sized drives as long as each mirrored pair is the same size to each other

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Failed drives in a rack mount synology vs a big brand SAN is night and day

HP overnights is a drive. Synology has us go through the regular RMA process with WD/Intel

We just use it as one of three backup targets so no huge deal if it takes a few days to get a new drive. But what if the unit had a hardware issue?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
True, but this is for a dude's home storage, so he's not getting anyone to overnight him a drive except maybe Amazon.

You can expand ZFS by mirrors like that, but it's dreadfully space-inefficient compared to something like RAIDZ or SHR, and most home users are going to be limited by their Gig-E (at best) home network, not pool performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DrDork posted:

True, but this is for a dude's home storage, so he's not getting anyone to overnight him a drive except maybe Amazon.

It was just a general comment. Home stuff, YOLO