Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

National Trust is closing visitor properties on Friday (not parklands/gardens which will remain open for free) but offices will remain open for people who can't do their jobs from home.

Apparently people will still get paid but not sure how that works for zero hour contracts yet. If I still has any under me I'd be putting in timesheets for them and hoping nobody checked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jose posted:

Nah I think I need a break from the news for a bit but also I can't help myself

See, I just replaced my UK news follows with watching US financial TV. Mainly Bloomberg which is very sober & sad but also I'm watching CNBC right now & there is some guy called Jim Cramer who is amazing. Watching this makes it impossible to take it seriously, he literally has a board of big red buttons that he pushes & make comical sound effects. And is a "serious" financial news host. He also speaks so fast that he must have just huffed an awful lot of coke before going live.

It's the most I've been entertained in months, god bless having no savings & no pension. Hell yas

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Tons of theatres have now started cancelling all shows with immediate effect after todays government briefing so I guess poo poo finally is starting to move. Hope lots of other places follow suit.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Edit: changed my mind about directly quoting a work email

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Sanford posted:

Edit: changed my mind about directly quoting a work email

just give us a rough estimate of the levels of dickhead your dickhead guy is being for our records. is the growth rate of dickheadedness above or below +33%

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

If it's the squirty up the bum stuff then even more so.

did you mean to reply to Jose

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1239612169597136897

He's done a lot of poo poo in just the past few days, but this might be the most shameful thing he's ever said.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The bit I was quoting says the government guidance to stay at home doesn’t kick in till tomorrow so we expect to see everyone in the office in the morning when further discussions will take place. This has been sent on behalf of the management team, including me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Public face £1,000 fine or custody for refusing coronavirus tests and quarantine
Did this get posted and I missed it? :stare:

Suddenly get the feeling that a lot of particular groups are going to be heavily suspected of having coronavirus in the near future.
British secure hospitals are notoriously difficult to leave once you're in the system too, so I bet a number of people will go in as coronavirus cases and never leave as dangerous asocials.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
If you can't find pasta in the regular stores, try Ann Summers.

https://www.annsummers.com/gifts-games/gifts-games-shop-by-category/gifts-games-novelty/penis-pasta/31733.html

Simsandwich
Feb 15, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

It'll probably also mean the Tory supporting big pub chain bosses can buy up all the independents and small chains that go down first, because they'll manage to survive with special crony handouts if they hold on long enough.

Quoting this because it is the truth. Bigger operators are going to get a state subsidised gold rush for premises as well as their pick of staff, useful for a staff shortage that was looming post Brexit.

My employer is going with the idea of it being a bear market for those groups with cash to burn.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Answers Me posted:

He's done a lot of poo poo in just the past few days, but this might be the most shameful thing he's ever said.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1239627922111180802

help I agree with george

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sanford posted:

The bit I was quoting says the government guidance to stay at home doesn’t kick in till tomorrow so we expect to see everyone in the office in the morning when further discussions will take place. This has been sent on behalf of the management team, including me.

I made a lateral move out of management into something else in my company at the end of January and I have dodged the mother of all bullets with having to explain to my (former) staff why nobody seems to be doing a loving thing about it.

I get to bitch along with the everyone else instead about how all managers are shitbags :cheers:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

No it requires breaking the toilet seat and I haven't bought a new one yet

can you not just have a go on it in the garden or something? We're really curious :/

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Answers Me posted:

he is a vector for the morbid and satanic. he is in a dire need of soul purification.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It requires plumbing in and I need to saw through the rusted bolts on the toilet seat and I cba rn

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Answers Me posted:

Honestly thought I was beyond being surprised by these ghouls

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

See, I just replaced my UK news follows with watching US financial TV. Mainly Bloomberg which is very sober & sad but also I'm watching CNBC right now & there is some guy called Jim Cramer who is amazing. Watching this makes it impossible to take it seriously, he literally has a board of big red buttons that he pushes & make comical sound effects. And is a "serious" financial news host. He also speaks so fast that he must have just huffed an awful lot of coke before going live.

It's the most I've been entertained in months, god bless having no savings & no pension. Hell yas

He's been around for agea and yeah he isn't 'serious'. He literally had to fight off a lawsuit by admitting he's an entertainment persona not offering legit financial advice.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

forkboy84 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QEKdsEfLY0

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

https://twitter.com/IcelandFoods/status/1239583469312802818

isn't this... kinda bad? I feel like gathering all the most vulnerable people in one place in a short period of time isn't the best idea

especially since so many of them are yoloing it and think precautions are a joke

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

baka kaba posted:

https://twitter.com/IcelandFoods/status/1239583469312802818

isn't this... kinda bad? I feel like gathering all the most vulnerable people in one place in a short period of time isn't the best idea

especially since so many of them are yoloing it and think precautions are a joke

Nah, clean every night after lock up and then let them in first and it's probably the safest time for it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

namesake posted:

Nah, clean every night after lock up and then let them in first and it's probably the safest time for it.

I mean more like ramming them all in there in a one-hour window or whatever. Where is my social distancing!!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I think it's so they're able to buy one or two packs of things then toddle off home before the yummy mummies in their 4x4 chelsea tractors turn up to elbow them out of the way and empty freezers by the car load.
(Actually a lot of older people don't have freezers, they have an icebox in the top of their fridge for one packet of peas and some fish fingers)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 16, 2020

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

baka kaba posted:

I mean more like ramming them all in there in a one-hour window or whatever. Where is my social distancing!!

It's apparently better not to mix age groups.

It makes sense to me to be honest. Keep in mind old people are still allowed in after that 1-hour window.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think it's so they're able to buy one or two packs of things then toddle off home before the yummy mummies in their 4x4 chelsea tractors turn up to elbow them out of the way and empty freezers by the car load.
(Actually a lot of older people don't have freezers, they have an icebox in the top of their fridge for one packet of peas and some fish fingers)

It's definitely this, because people are awful dickheads.

A part of me wants to see them go collectively loving mental hoarding and start flogging Andrex by the roll out of their little shopping basket things to desperate gammons in the car park.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Yeah this is good, I think. The store is cleanest and best stocked at this time (and also, honestly, not that busy a lot of the time too) so encouraging people to come in early and keeping snotty kids out is probably a good idea for minimising contact with carriers.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Some more up to date stats:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1239680850398195714

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

if it's helpful then that's cool and good :tipshat:

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Should probably consider self isolation support for the over 60s as well, keep that hospital admission level down dang.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Boris killing his voters isn't the worst bit of this tbh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

namesake posted:

Should probably consider self isolation support for the over 60s as well, keep that hospital admission level down dang.

I wonder if the main reason it's not over 60s is because they don't want to start reducing the workforce and they would rather let the virus do it

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

As someone who will be over 60 in the next few weeks, and who will almost certainly called on to help support the occupants of 17 of the flats in this block who are aged well over 70-102, if I'm to self-isolate too (with no symptoms), and with most of my nearby relatives similar age or older than me, who will support us all? Our local town is doing all the right things re facebook groups, those cards offering assistance, and so on, and a lot of those offering are over 60s!
Younger people have their own families to worry about.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

It requires plumbing in and I need to saw through the rusted bolts on the toilet seat and I cba rn

Just get some penetrating oil (fnarr) because all sawing through the bolts will get you is shorter bolts.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Ebola Dog posted:

My over 60 dad is a doctor and will be right on the frontlines of this, he doesn't really have a choice to try and avoid coming into contact with this. I just hope the hospital won't run out of appellate appropriate ppe. It just makes the government's lack of action to slow the number of cases more worrying for me. Makes me anxious they will run out off beds and then if/when he gets it what'll happen?

How they are not rigorously testing the medics providing the front line service. Imagine going to work and just accepting yep, I've got it, but i gave an oath, so I am just continue be a honey pot for the bugs. Not to mention the cleaners and catering staff at the hospitals.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's the story about paracetamol and this virus? I've heard about not taking ibuprofen or aspirin or other non-inflammatories and also steroids. But is paracetamol ok?
Ibuprofen and aspirin worsen asthma, and if you have low-level asthma or don't realise you have it (i.e. don't need an inhaler and just get a bit chesty on cold days), it can set it off to the point that you then need inhalers and stuff. If you haven't been diagnosed with it, it would probably enter the statistics as 'also fucks up non asthmatics.'

Or maybe it does gently caress up non-asthmatics if they have respiratory problems. Asthma is IIRC an over-reaction of the body's normal respiratory defences.

e: Paracetamol is probably fine, it's an antipyretic so will stop your body temperature getting too high. It is also a mild anti inflammatory but not really enough to be a problem.

My source on this info is me three or so years ago hospitalising myself by taking nurofen cough & flu.

Also this thread is impossible to keep up with now, and hello.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 17, 2020

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Imagine being a journalist, who lost his wife to cancer, poking fun at a 70 year old who might be at risk of contracting a deadly virus.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ibuprofen and aspirin worsen asthma, and if you have low-level asthma or don't realise you have it (i.e. don't need an inhaler and just get a bit chesty on cold days), it can set it off to the point that you then need inhalers and stuff. If you haven't been diagnosed with it, it would probably enter the statistics as 'also fucks up non asthmatics.'

Or maybe it does gently caress up non-asthmatics if they have respiratory problems. Asthma is IIRC an over-reaction of the body's normal respiratory defences.

e: Paracetamol is probably fine, it's an antipyretic so will stop your body temperature getting too high. It is also a mild anti inflammatory but not really enough to be a problem.

My source on this info is me three or so years ago hospitalising myself by taking nurofen cough & flu.

Also this thread is impossible to keep up with now, and hello.

I mentioned steroids on FB and my niece posted that she has to have steroid something or others for her asthma so I said if she thinks she has it, she should try to speak to her GP about what to do.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

That's much lower than some of the earlier bar graphs I remember, for the 70 and 80+ age groups. Good news potentially? :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bornbytheriver posted:

Imagine being a journalist, who lost his wife to cancer, poking fun at a 70 year old who might be at risk of contracting a deadly virus.

I do not wish to imagine being peston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/lilyslynch/status/1239686878049251336