Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
keep safe service industry goons, none of what's coming sounds very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dimloep posted:

Yeah, it's just dine-in that's prohibited. I work at a conference center just outside of Columbus, so I'm out of work for the foreseeable future.

I might try for a short-term gig at the nearby Aldi, and I signed up for Instacart, just 'cause.

Ahh. Yeah I'm in Columbus area as well. I should have clarified, the numbers I posted were Covid cases. There's...what, like 6-10 hospitals around Columbus itself?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
and now california too. vegas resorts shutting down.

this is going to close so many places and put so many ppl out of work

:sigh:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Take out only in Washington.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Boy I'm glad I went with the college over the sushi place. At least I know the college will still be there in a month or two.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Republicans posted:

Boy I'm glad I went with the college over the sushi place. At least I know the college will still be there in a month or two.

Local college here is closing for an extra week for spring break and suspending classes, moving to online only

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

pile of brown posted:

Local college here is closing for an extra week for spring break and suspending classes, moving to online only

Yep that's what we did. Tomorrow should be my last day of work before I get to file for unemployment and practice social distancing by playing video games at home until this blows over.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I thought that Japan would be in more of a panic than most places but things seem to have largely returned to normal. Possibly related to having a functional healthcare system?...Naaaaahhh

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Well this is awkward. I had aches and exhaustion and shortness of breath (I guess, I was getting winded just from taking a shower) like no ones business the last few days, they seem to have gone away in the last few hours but now I actually have the fever. I hate this. I'm more worried about when I can go back to work, I don't get PTO or anything, and its a small place so having someone cover me is actually kind of a problem for my coworkers. On the other hand they probably don't want me there infecting anyone, and its a restaurant mostly visited by old rich people, so I might kill half our regulars.

edit: wrong thread but still kind of works. Maybe I'll just do a few lunches and try to infect the evil old women who come in for lunch

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Guildenstern Mother posted:

its a restaurant mostly visited by old rich people, so I might kill half our regulars.

In light of this I'm afraid you're morally obligated to go to work.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

That has absolutely crossed my mind more than once.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
For the WA shutdowns

https://twitter.com/GovInslee/status/1239376248335265794

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Work has been awful. I was called off Friday and Saturday, came in today and made $24. We just re-opened a month ago.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
If you're in Illinois, they've published guidance on unemployment insurance for companies shutting down due to COVID-19: https://www2.illinois.gov/ides/Pages/COVID-19-and-Unemployment-Benefits.aspx

They are still not great, but the did add this:

quote:

What if I‘m temporarily laid off because the place where I work is temporarily closed because of the COVID-19 virus?
An individual temporarily laid off in this situation could qualify for benefits as long as he or she was able and available for and actively seeking work. Under emergency rules IDES recently adopted, the individual would not have to register with the employment service. He or she would be considered to be actively seeking work as long as the individual was prepared to return to his or her job as soon the employer reopened.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I've always wondered how that works with tipped income, I assume it doesn't and I'm hosed

fake edit: Base pay only. Gotta love tipped income

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

We're getting slammed tonight. Pretty crazy for a Monday.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Yep, Coronavirus has passed us. Time to restart the party.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I have been a FOH manager fora long time and this is the craziest poo poo I have ever seen. All events cancelled or postponed indefinitely, daily numbers all over the place, we have been lucky so far but it's only a matter of time until a customer unknowingly comes in sick or even asymptomatic and gets us all infected. Hoping the state, county or the owners shut it down before the decision is made for them. And of course we are all totally hosed financially when that does happen for god knows how long.

kiss me Pikachu fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 6, 2020

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you declare and pay taxes on your tips you'll get higher unemployment pay but if you've been dodging taxes and hiding your wages you dont

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

If you grew up pre-internet, in a place where it snows, remember that giddy feeling of anticipation when the radio or TV listed off the school closings for snow days? You'd sit there, fingers crossed, chanting "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" waiting to hear your school's name.

Reading the GBS covid-19 thread is like the hell version of that.

"CA restaurants are closed. OH restaurants are closed. IL restaurants are closed. WA restaurants are closed. DC restaurants are closed..." and I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed pleading "please don't say VA, please don't say VA, please don't say VA!"

I am BOH, so there's a chance I could stay if they go full-delivery/take out, but it's semi-fine dining, We are hooked into DoorDash, but no one ever uses it. Who the gently caress orders a charcuterie plate or osso buco thru DoorDash? (Hell, come to think of it, I don't even know how we'd box osso buco up.) Owner did say she's gonna be making a major push on website/social media reminding folks of that option, though.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Welp, out of a job for a month
Dunno if they’ll do anything for MA restaurants/bars, or if hundreds will just straight up close and I’ll have no job to come back to~

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If you grew up pre-internet, in a place where it snows, remember that giddy feeling of anticipation when the radio or TV listed off the school closings for snow days? You'd sit there, fingers crossed, chanting "c'mon, c'mon, c'mon!" waiting to hear your school's name.

"CA restaurants are closed. OH restaurants are closed. IL restaurants are closed. WA restaurants are closed. DC restaurants are closed..." and I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed pleading "please don't say VA, please don't say VA, please don't say VA!"

I am BOH, so there's a chance I could stay if they go full-delivery/take out, but it's semi-fine dining, We are hooked into DoorDash, but no one ever uses it. Who the gently caress orders a charcuterie plate or osso buco thru DoorDash? (Hell, come to think of it, I don't even know how we'd box osso buco up.) Owner did say she's gonna be making a major push on website/social media reminding folks of that option, though.

As another Va restaurant industry goon, I'd say we have less than a week.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Talk to your chef, KM, GM, or owner about putting together a delivery/take out menu given the circumstances. Every restaurant is going to be vying for that business and if you have a loyal customer base, they'll appreciate the change up if you can stay within the bounds of your concept.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Mike the TV posted:

As another Va restaurant industry goon, I'd say we have less than a week.

Heard :(

Shooting Blanks posted:

Talk to your chef, KM, GM, or owner about putting together a delivery/take out menu given the circumstances. Every restaurant is going to be vying for that business and if you have a loyal customer base, they'll appreciate the change up if you can stay within the bounds of your concept.

Yeah, chef was already brainstorming that concept last night when the news of DC going restricted broke in the middle of service. Your post just inspired me to ask about leaning into catering; currently VA is restricted on general "gatherings" to 100 people, so we could still do small scale parties/weddings and poo poo. That would also allow us to make some bank on wine/liquor sales, which is what would hurt us if we went to delivery/carry-out. Good ideas to bring up with her, thanks.

On the lighter side, our owner did manage to stockpile a ton of TP for the restaurant. Last night she came back to the kitchen waving one of the 24-packs and announced, "OK guys, what do you think of this new promotion? 'For every case of wine you buy, we'll give you a roll of toilet paper!' " It broke the sour mood immediately. She's pretty cool.

edit: gently caress, thanks again Shooting, you just reminded me of something: our biggest brunch competitor offers curbside service and delivery during the rest of the week, but not brunch. If we offered that, we could clean up from the demographic who NEED their fancy omelette and bespoke chicken and waffles during the apocalypse. Writing this poo poo down.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 16, 2020

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Shooting Blanks posted:

can confirm this is what my place is doing. i figure this business model lasts abt 3 weeks given how high the rent is on the space we're in

had to close with 3 ppl knowing i'll probably never see any of them again and 2 of them were actually good at their job and just starting out. i'll probably never see my friends in FOH again

so yay i'm a scab with survivor's guilt now

:( seen, heard, felt

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Bar/restaurant on central coast CA checking in: closed

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Update: my wife's restaurants (5 stores) voluntarily closed their indoor dining today. It's coming for everyone soon. Very soon.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Louisiana just nuked all the bars and forced all restaurants to takeout through 4/13.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_2f097990-67b0-11ea-b6b0-c74a5b8f0234.html

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
Prohibition 2: Cough Harder

(i know it isn't prohibition and it's the right move 2 weeks too late just wanted the joke)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Yeah, chef was already brainstorming that concept last night when the news of DC going restricted broke in the middle of service. Your post just inspired me to ask about leaning into catering; currently VA is restricted on general "gatherings" to 100 people, so we could still do small scale parties/weddings and poo poo. That would also allow us to make some bank on wine/liquor sales, which is what would hurt us if we went to delivery/carry-out. Good ideas to bring up with her, thanks.

On the lighter side, our owner did manage to stockpile a ton of TP for the restaurant. Last night she came back to the kitchen waving one of the 24-packs and announced, "OK guys, what do you think of this new promotion? 'For every case of wine you buy, we'll give you a roll of toilet paper!' " It broke the sour mood immediately. She's pretty cool.

edit: gently caress, thanks again Shooting, you just reminded me of something: our biggest brunch competitor offers curbside service and delivery during the rest of the week, but not brunch. If we offered that, we could clean up from the demographic who NEED their fancy omelette and bespoke chicken and waffles during the apocalypse. Writing this poo poo down.

On the wine sales thing - in TX it's legal for a place with an on premise license to sell wine to go provided it's been opened and at least 1 oz. has been poured out. The basic idea is if someone buys a bottle, has a glass or two but doesn't want to finish it, it doesn't have to be thrown out. VA may have something similar, that might be an upsell for takeout customers (don't try this with delivery unless you're 100% sure it's legal). Just something else to suggest.

SHVPS4DETH posted:

can confirm this is what my place is doing. i figure this business model lasts abt 3 weeks given how high the rent is on the space we're in

had to close with 3 ppl knowing i'll probably never see any of them again and 2 of them were actually good at their job and just starting out. i'll probably never see my friends in FOH again

so yay i'm a scab with survivor's guilt now

Your owner can try to talk to the landlord about some sort of rent forgiveness or forbearance. Any landlord or management company with a significant number of commercial properties is going to see the writing on the wall - and getting half rent for a few months is likely better than no rent and seeing X number of properties go vacant until this thing really turns around. This thing is going to seriously shake up the commercial real estate market in the long run, probably in ways that most people aren't thinking about yet.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 16, 2020

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Your post just inspired me to ask about leaning into catering; currently VA is restricted on general "gatherings" to 100 people, so we could still do small scale parties/weddings and poo poo. That would also allow us to make some bank on wine/liquor sales, which is what would hurt us if we went to delivery/carry-out. Good ideas to bring up with her, thanks.

Just a heads up, I don't know how the general population is treating this in VA, but here in Ontario where almost everyone that can is working from home and restaurants are shutting down their dine-in, catering is non-existent. I'm seeing a surge in the meal-in-a-jar type deliveries and straight up delivered food (and I'm told takeout business is remaining pretty steady), but almost no one is having even 12-person get togethers, all of that poo poo is on lockdown. I work for one of the "higher-end" catering companies in the area and have a bit of a background in doing the personal chef thing for the rich folks in the area, and I *cannot* get anyone to bite on even having me come in for a 4-person in-home meal. Maybe in another week or something if things relax a bit and people are real sick of mom's meatloaf and dad's overcooked steak I'll have some more luck, but in the meantime you're probably much better off focusing on the takeout/curbside deliveries/etc. Takeout brunch is an excellent idea, especially if no one else does it. Or take orders the day before/early that morning and have one of your cooks with a car deliver 8 at a time or something.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down
Mandatory closure in SLC Utah. But don’t worry we’ll be open until we legally can’t be at 11pm tonight...

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
My national restaurant chain is voluntarily closing all locations for over a week, with a re-evaluation at that point.

All employees will continue to be paid. Unsure how that affects tipped employees, but it looks like they will be taking care of them.

I almost cried when I read the email.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ohio was the leader on the front of closures. :getin: :smith:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
What loving timing. I just started full-time bartending for a very highly-anticipated 30-seat restaurant in Atlanta three weeks ago. This afternoon the owner tells me we're voluntarily running takeout only this week, and we'll see what happens after that. Our payroll is being run a week early so me and the other FOH employees get our tips for the past week. We'll also be getting a cut of sales from gift cards, plus tips on takeout orders. The three salaried employees (the bar/FOH manager and the two cooks) have agreed to reduced salaries for the week. The owner hasn't cut himself a paycheck since we opened, and will continue to refrain for the week. He's a great guy and I told him I felt safer about my future than I would if I was working for anyone else. I'm taking it as an unexpected staycation, which is welcome since I've been working 55 hours a week since we opened.

I haven't really heard anything about the amount of cases in Atlanta, but there's no state-mandated closures yet for bars/restaurants, only voluntary ones. I think we'll be back to work next week. Pretty sure.

prayer group fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 16, 2020

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Us: hmm there’s a pandemic I wonder if the restaurant would ever possibly close?

Owner at the place I work at:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I really wonder how many places are going to go under. It's going to be a huge number. Just the food waste costs of going to takeout only are going to be substantial when they stocked for regular service.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
Suppliers are also going to feel the hurt from so many of their customers closing.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

We were pissed off if a winter came and went without at least a couple snow days. We believed it was a right, not a privilege. Funny thing was, most of us used those snow days to march over to the school because they had a perfect sledding hill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
If BA got 50 billion of negative interest government financing and then immediately announced extended closures and a 50 billion stock buyback authorization, frankly I’d have to respect that