Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
My gym closed super suddenly on Friday - they got on the intercom at 1 PM or so and said they'd be closing at 3, and staff went around and asked everyone to leave. That it was so sudden has made some folks speculate that they got a report that a member had tested positive. I hope the other gyms in town follow them, it's the responsible thing to do. Gyms seem like such an easy way to spread it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Earth Treks/Movement sent out an email today stating that all of their gyms were closed for the remainder of the month effective tomorrow morning.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

If your gym is open, do not go you loving idiots

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
My local gym had their biggest event of the year yesterday so clearly they're not too bothered about it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
my gym is probably gonna remain open for the time being but they did cancel their yearly staff/community party

the reservation method mentioned above actually makes a lot of sense, i might pitch that to them

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My gym just emailed out a notice saying "Blah blah blah corona, we've all been trained on hygiene practices and will clean the building thoroughly"

Maybe this is niave of me, but the way I see is I'm young and mostly pretty healthy - so even if I do contract it, I'll survive :shrug: Work will let me stay home. Also I don't think there's like even a dozen cases in my city.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Maybe this is niave of me, but the way I see is I'm young and mostly pretty healthy - so even if I do contract it, I'll survive :shrug: Work will let me stay home. Also I don't think there's like even a dozen cases in my city.

This isn't about you. It's about preventing the spread so that others who might get sick that are compromised or older don't loving die.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sab669 posted:

This is a bad thought process. Even if you would be mostly fine if you contract, you may spread it to 2-3 other who may not. And then those would spread it. People can die.

Just stay home.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Also, keep in mind that a lot of people who do not die, do need to go to the ICU. As a young healthy guy you will not die, probably not even need intensive care, but a few of the people you'll infect will probably at least require intensive care. So they'll take a few spot. There's a very finite number of people that can receive proper ICU care at the same time so eventually this will cause even more deaths since people who could have survived otherwise might not since they can't be ventilated, etc.

Right now we have to think as a society, not as individuals. There's not a single person that will cause this to go from bad to absolutely terrible by going to public spaces when it's not necessary, but all small actions put together certainly can.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 15, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

If your gym is open, do not go you loving idiots

Yeah I think it's really irresponsible of gyms to stay open. The virus can linger in the air and on surfaces! Let's go to a gym where everyone is touching holds!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Self isolated in the hills today. I thought there'd be more wintry conditions but only the gullies had snow in them, and that was sugary and saturated. Crampons were at least useful on the wet rock.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Yeah I think it's really irresponsible of gyms to stay open. The virus can linger in the air and on surfaces! Let's go to a gym where everyone is touching holds!

do you usually cover your hands in chalk, do a climb and then shove them in your mouth or all over your face cause i try to avoid getting chalk all over my face and it tastes bad idk

Sab669 posted:

My gym just emailed out a notice saying "Blah blah blah corona, we've all been trained on hygiene practices and will clean the building thoroughly"

even if you survive, there's still a small chance you need a ventilator if you catch it, and if you catch it say a week from now at the gym then you'll probably be at 'deadly symptoms' four weeks from now and you have a pretty high chance of taking that ventilator from someone who's less treatable than you are. i dunno if i'd want to go to the hospital and wake up whatever days later and learn that i got the last one and some old person died because they were less savable than me

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 15, 2020

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Verviticus posted:

do you usually cover your hands in chalk, do a climb and then shove them in your mouth or all over your face cause i try to avoid getting chalk all over my face and it tastes bad idk

even if you survive, there's still a small chance you need a ventilator if you catch it, and if you catch it say a week from now at the gym then you'll probably be at 'deadly symptoms' four weeks from now and you have a pretty high chance of taking that ventilator from someone who's less treatable than you are. i dunno if i'd want to go to the hospital and wake up whatever days later and learn that i got the last one and some old person died because they were less savable than me

We should be treating this like poo poo has hit the fan because it uhhh kinda has. There's really no reason to keep gyms open right now.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

closed now there we go

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Verviticus posted:

closed now there we go
RockSpot? They've just close all their locations this morning.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Momentum closed down too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yip my gym just closed yesterday.

So on a lighter note, you guys watch Reel Rock 14 yet? I wasn't able to see it in theaters but I just bought the download this weekend. I really liked the second one, 'United States of Joe' or whatever it was called.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sab669 posted:

Yip my gym just closed yesterday.

So on a lighter note, you guys watch Reel Rock 14 yet? I wasn't able to see it in theaters but I just bought the download this weekend. I really liked the second one, 'United States of Joe' or whatever it was called.

My gym closed too.

I saw Reel Rock a few months ago, that one was nice though I liked how it was ostensibly about "hey we can all get along despite all our political differences" but only if economic development is involved.

Sigmund Fraud
Jul 31, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

I saw Reel Rock a few months ago, that one was nice though I liked how it was ostensibly about "hey we can all get along despite all our political differences" but only if economic development is involved.
It rubbed me the wrong way too! "We accept everyone" (as long as they have disposable income)!

I went into watching it having just finished listening a few podcasts detailing some the horrible accidents and felt that the speed record portion was almost inappropriateley upbeat.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Crazy Mormon Towns gonna be judgemental of weird looking strangers, not all that shocking. The townsfolk warmed up as soon as they offered to help clean up the town. Like sure the townhall they hosted and the climber explained, "Hey we have money to spend, we're not here to kidnap your children" definitely played into their opinions changing, but overall I still felt like it was nice. All the old rednecks tried climbing and had fun.

And yea I didn't know one of the younger guys from the Nose Speed Record died a few months ago until after I finished watching it. That was sad to hear... But based on the risks they seemed to be taking I guess I shouldn't be too surprised? I don't know much about trad climbing in general, especially crazy simul-climb stuff. Like they said on the video, yea maybe it's "only" a 5.10... But pros still fall, as seen right in this film.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Trad climbing a 5.10 can be quite safe. These guys fighting for speed records are only placing a few pieces of gear at most, and otherwise are essentially soloing huge sections of wall. Simul-climbing on trad gear is really not crazy in general, and is often the safer overall approach on large objectives because the time savings means you don't get stuck in the dark or in bad weather.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Back to Denver and certain doom.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
Ah it must be spring at the Creek. All the license plates turn green.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would say it was mostly Utah and California actually. I heard 5 different groups from Cali say they booked it out of Cali in case they got stuck in the state.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
I’m a chef at a college, so I was furloughed as of last Wednesday when it looked like they were extending spring break. Now the campus is closed through the academic year, and I don’t typically work over the summer. So, five months off. Eurgh.

Upon hearing this news, one of my favorite Old Dude climbing partners wanted me to go with him to Shelf tomorrow. I’ve had a cough and a low-grade fever so declined, and said I didn’t want him to get sick. He was offended at that! Dang mean old French dude, I know you are a badass but also you are a 70y.o. badass.

Foolishly I also decided to go for an alpine route on Sunday in NM which turned out to be bullshit (also I developed cough in the middle of this route, which was magical). I have learned to be highly circumspect of three-star routes on MP.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Climbing is incredibly subjective, and many climbs vary in difficulty based on the climber's body shape/strength/etc.

I've come across so many things in guidebooks that are rated highly and are utter trash. Cest la vie

MP is probably a bit better than other things when it comes to ratings, consensus by volume is nice

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Ubiquitus posted:

Climbing is incredibly subjective, and many climbs vary in difficulty based on the climber's body shape/strength/etc.

I've come across so many things in guidebooks that are rated highly and are utter trash. Cest la vie

MP is probably a bit better than other things when it comes to ratings, consensus by volume is nice
Oh yes, I am very aware of the subjectivity ha ha. The entire formation was left out of a guidebook, which I should have seen as a sign. C’est la vie, indeed. We were never out of our depths, just had a longer day and a little more adventure than we wanted. It’s good to get tested once in a while.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

remote control carnivore posted:

Oh yes, I am very aware of the subjectivity ha ha. The entire formation was left out of a guidebook, which I should have seen as a sign. C’est la vie, indeed. We were never out of our depths, just had a longer day and a little more adventure than we wanted. It’s good to get tested once in a while.

You definitely have to take lesser known areas with a grain of salt on MP. and most stuff in new mexico in general.

What did you climb?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This has been making the rounds among my friends today, Bishop getting hosed cause climbers:
http://www.thundercling.com/2020/03/the-pandemic-comes-to-bishop-a-small-climbing-community-struggles-beneath-the-weight-of-covid-19/

Meanwhile Moab basically just closed themselves off to visitors:
https://moabcity.org/551/COVID-19-Information-and-Updates

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Huh that’s interesting. My fiancée and I were touring the Everglades for the past two days and it was nice and empty. Figured more people would be making the trek outside. I suppose a mass of people descending on a small rear end Canyon is definitely different than a few thousand poking around Southwest Florida

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

You definitely have to take lesser known areas with a grain of salt on MP. and most stuff in new mexico in general.

What did you climb?

We did the NW ridge of the Thumb in the Sandias. The views didn’t disappoint, but the climbing was awful. Not difficult, just bad. Of course every local traddad there thinks it’s a three star route. Hah!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We did the NW ridge of the Thumb in the Sandias. The views didn’t disappoint, but the climbing was awful. Not difficult, just bad. Of course every local traddad there thinks it’s a three star route. Hah!

Ha. I have looked at that line a bunch of times and even hiked La Luz trail. It always seemed like it might not be kind of great. So I am glad we haven't done it. My Partner's family lives down that way.

Did you post a comment on MP about it yesterday?

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 18, 2020

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Ha. I have looked at that line a bunch of times and even hiked La Luz trail. It always seemed like it might not be kind of great. So I am glad we haven't done it. My Partner's family lives down that way.

Did you post a comment on MP about it yesterday?

No, but Stich is my often partner in crime. The trail was outstanding though, I have to say!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

No, but Stich is my often partner in crime. The trail was outstanding though, I have to say!

Ha, cool. He seems like a good dude.

Agreed it is a nice trail.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wow gym just extended their closure from "for 2 weeks" until "Probably won't open until before May first" gently caress

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Pretty much all the big gyms already did that.

SwashedBuckles
Aug 10, 2007

Have at you!
Just got an email from the gym that they aren’t expecting to reopen any earlier than May 1st :smithicide:

Anyone have a good recommended home hangboard/rings workout split?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I work for a hospital and our guidance is to expect 60 days wfh, we started Monday. So good luck climbing gyms.

ETA: The crimpd app from Lattice is pretty good for hangboarding.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 20, 2020

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

What does everyone's hangboard setups look like? I dunno if I'm handy enough/have an appropriate space for one, but I can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Tippecanoe posted:

What does everyone's hangboard setups look like? I dunno if I'm handy enough/have an appropriate space for one, but I can dream.
Don't have mine currently but here's my friend's, using one of those door hanger pull up bars:

Basically just take the end caps off, get the right threaded end pipe and whatever that other piece is, line it all up and screw it to a wood board, then attach the hang board to that. My friends drilled through the metal to secure the pipes, but that was a major pain in the rear end so I didn't bother, and personally found it ok without it. The tolerance is pretty narrow between the pipes/tubing and there's enough friction and force that it takes deliberate effort to get it out, at least on the one I did.